We need to talk about the roleplays......

ATTN: @Neptune

I have a roleplay suggestion although I'm yet to pop my roleplaying ? and its more of some questions and shite.

I've noticed you've split the roleplays down in the public roleplay suite into five categories, namely the difficulties...... however I'm not sure that's an overly brilliant idea, and I don't understand the logic behind it at all when this could be better served as tags, or even in the actual text of the rp opening post itself. I realise you guys only just radically reformed the entire section but there's something big that's been glaring at me whilst I read the guide.

what if I want to set up a roleplay, that can only have say... four people in it with a character a piece, like an RPG? do I have to get platinum membership do accomplish this? seems a little ... well ... much. don't you think? what if instead you did the tag thing - but the er... prefix I think its called ... stated the openness of the RP? like:

• Character ID required
  • No Character ID required
  • Invite Only
  • Apply in OOC
  • Full

this - at least to me as someone who's never roleplayed outside of the bedroom before, makes much more sense from the guides I've read on this site.

• Like 1

• Community Administrator

I agree that getting Platinum membership just for a more exclusive roleplay is a little excessive, but more control over the roleplays is what Platinum Members have. Although this is expressed with the ability to moderate their own roleplay.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at with the Character ID being an indication of RP openness. At the moment, a roleplays difficulty is somewhat set by the requirements to join it, as well as level of detail in the information. For RPs that don't have an extra information, or need a Character ID are considered casual. For RPs that have the Character ID as a requirement can be much higher in level. I think having the Character ID as a sign of the 'openness' of a roleplay is making it a little too complicated when the other ideas that you had would suffice very, very easily. 

In regards to the Public roleplay, we could cut it down to two layers of openness; 

• Public/Open: Anyone can join as long as they meet minimum requirements. No one can consider any of the roleplays as being entirely 'Full' access as owners will have specific requirements that you need to meet in order to join.
  • Apply: Dreamers apply to join a roleplay either through the OOC thread, through EcchiText or some other means. The reason why I drop Invite from this list, is because you could simply ask someone to join your roleplay through an application. What the requirements of joining a Roleplay will be completely on the owner of the roleplay, the Game Master.

Just so you know, I am taking your suggestion seriously but I would like for you to further clarify some of yours points. 

• Like 1

Alright. well I was going on what I had understood, but correct me if I am wrong ... but we've seen already an RP that doesn't match any of these descriptions and it's classified as a mixed skill roleplay. what if, I wanted to make a roleplay in which you play as your forum character however it's an expert level roleplay with all the fat and trimmings minus a CID? a CID at this point would be redundant, no?

Edited by Whoreo
  • Like 1

I'd beg the question as to why would an expert skill roleplay require no Character ID? That's not computing with me at all. The reason why the forum account thing works with the EcchiTown RP is because of it's uniqueness, essentially I only intended EcchiTown to be a 'lounge' or something where Roleplayers could chill out, and interact with other roleplayers, even teach newer roleplayers some skills and such. What I'm saying is; EcchiTown is an exception - not the rule.  

Typically speaking we probably won't, or at least shouldn't see many 'mixed' skill roleplays. Separating by skill makes sense; however I understand what you're saying and I also agree with it - to a point.  You've certainly raised yet another good suggestion, and I know it's one that @Neptune and I will be thinking about. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'd beg the question as to why would an expert skill roleplay require no Character ID? That's not computing with me at all. The reason why the forum account thing works with the EcchiTown RP is because of it's uniqueness, essentially I only intended EcchiTown to be a 'lounge' or something where Roleplayers could chill out, and interact with other roleplayers, even teach newer roleplayers some skills and such. What I'm saying is; EcchiTown is an exception - not the rule.  

Typically speaking we probably won't, or at least shouldn't see many 'mixed' skill roleplays. Separating by skill makes sense; however I understand what you're saying and I also agree with it - to a point.  You've certainly raised yet another good suggestion, and I know it's one that @Neptune and I will be thinking about. 

so it's impossible that a dreamer will one day want to make an expert roleplay that doesn't require a CID? I see what you're saying with EcchiTown and I think I understand, but that wasnt my question.

Just now, Neptune said:

I'm definitely thinking about the suggestion since it does give Game Masters more control over their roleplay, especially if potential roleplayers apply to the roleplay which would allow Game Masters to approve/disapprove characters.

well I'm glad that it has. X3

• Like 1

Just now, Whoreo said:

so it's impossible that a dreamer will one day want to make an expert roleplay that doesn't require a CID? I see what you're saying with EcchiTown and I think I understand, but that wasnt my question.

That's not what I said. If I decided to make EcchiTown for Expert Roleplayers only, that'd be how that'd be done. What I meant to say was "It's highly, unlikely." 

That's up to the Game Master since it's their roleplay; their rules. It might simply mean a bare-bones Character ID, little to no extra information and players are allowed to do one-liner posts. 

There is no set way to do a Character ID, but generally speaking the harder a roleplay is, the more detail you will need to put in. That's how we figured it would be logical to do.

• Senior Staff

Speaking of having to talk about the roleplays, a thought occurred to me:

We have images in
one of the guides to indicate the skill level. Is it worth making these images public for Dreamers to put into their opening posts (if they want to), so there's a clear, visual representation of the level of skill expected/required for their roleplay? They could always use bold purple text (@Wolfie), or something like that, but if they have the option (or can be encouraged to), they may use it.

Just a thought, though.

Edited by SMFoxy
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up