Writing and publishing stories of private RPs, yay or nay?

So it strikes me that some of the stuff I've roleplayed (or am about to) would make great material for written short stories or even novellas. Particularly since I'm a budding erotica writer.

To be clear: I wouldn't dream of doing this without the express permission of my partner (and neither should you), as I essentially consider the RP session a piece of art we collaborated on. But how do people feel about this in general? About publishing something like that on these forums, somewhere else, or even somewhere you might eventually make money of it (like a crowd-funding site)?

Some things to consider:

An RP session does not automatically have a narrative that works in the written format. To make it interesting and engaging to read will likely require heavy revision and editing. First, I mention this because it means a lot of work on the part of the writer. Non-writers seldom appreciate just how much works goes into an engaging story, even in the short format -- and the fact that doing it from a source like an RP session doesn't necessarily make the job easier; rearranging a messy storyline into something readable can be way more work than moulding it as you go. Second, this could also mean making changes to the story that the partner might not entirely like or approve of. (Personally, I would want them to approve of my final draft, as well.)

Yes, it's possible to simply change enough details that no legal action can be taken. Since it's a private RP, I'm fairly sure it would be tough to build a case, as it were. But I'm more interested about what people think about it on a moral level, and definitely not looking to "get away" with anything.

(Admins: I assumed this was the best place to post this? Otherwise feel free to move it!)

Archived