Amy Amethyst

“Ugh shut up!”

The alarm was silenced with a heavy thud, the arch of a fist slamming into it as it blared at full volume. When it finally stopped, a groan followed, the sound of bedding shifting out of the way.

“Oh my God how much did I drink?” the man asked himself, sitting on the edge of his bed, his hands cupped against his face. “I feel like my brain is going to explode.”

He slowly made his way out of his room, groaning with each step. His body fought every movement he took, a sign of how little he had slept that night. When he made it to the kitchen, he found the center island covered in over a dozen empty bottles. On the counter beside the sink were 2 empty bottles of wine, and out of the corner of his eye he saw his recycling bin full of cans.

“That wasn’t all me, was it?” he asked himself, still groggy from the headache.

“Wow, that hit you harder than I thought it would,” A female voice called to him. “Don’t worry it wasn’t just you. I sent everyone else home about an hour ago.”

His eyes finally found the source of the voice. A beautiful young woman, standing in nothing but a bath gown, leaning against the doorframe to the kitchen. Blonde hair past her shoulders, fair skin, and amethyst eyes. That’s when he realized who it was. He could never forget someone with eyes like those. He then noticed she was wearing his bath gown, and her hair was wet.

“Making yourself comfortable?” he asked, rubbing his temples. “Why didn’t you wake me up, I would’ve joined you in that shower.”

“Haha, that’s why I didn’t wake you,” she answered, walking over to him. “You needed your sleep after the night we had.”

Before he could answer, she kissed him. Without thinking his arms were around her, pulling her into the kiss as he almost lost himself to the moment. Until she pushed his chest and placed a finger on his lips.

“Ah-ah-ah,” she teased, smiling at him. “You need to eat something, replenish your energy. You do have work today after all.”

She was right, and he hated it. He released her, bringing a hand up to rub his eyes. Soon he was back into his routine. Toast in the toaster, eggs on the stove in one frying pan, bologna in the other. Coffee was brewing, as well as tea, something he didn’t normally do. As the toast popped, the woman took the time to butter it, handing plates over to him. Then the eggs and bologna were placed onto the plates, along with some apple slices. Apples were his favorite way to wake up during a hangover.

The morning was calm, just like usual. He enjoyed his breakfast, as well as his coffee as he flipped through the morning news on his tablet. The woman was enjoying her tea, brushing her bangs behind her ear whenever they got in her way as she read her tablet. It was nice, something he didn’t normally get when he brought a woman like her home. Of course, it had been years since he did it.

As the morning went on, he made his way back up to his room. Putting on a collared shirt, and a suit after shaving and brushing his teeth. He then combed his hair and packed his bag. Once at the front door, he was stopped by the woman once more.

“Now, you have a good day at work,” she said, before kissing him again. “I might be here when you get back tonight.”

“I’d honestly love that,” he said, pausing for a moment. “I’m sorry, the booze seems to have done more than I thought, what was your name again?”

“Oh dear,” she giggled, gently tapping his cheek. “Amy. Just call me Amy.” She kissed him one more time, sending him off to work, before closing the door and letting out a sigh.

“But you see,” she said, slipping out of the bath gown. “That’s the thing about time dear.”

She slowly walked through the apartment, running her fingers along the walls and furniture as she retraced her steps through the morning and the previous evening, the entire time staying completely naked.

“It’s a cruel constant in the universe. No matter how much I play with it, no one will ever remember more than the universe wants them too about me.”

She stopped at his bed, slowly climbing into it. She curled up, as if she was sharing the bed with someone else as she fell asleep.

“So don’t let them haunt you. Keep the memory of my eyes safe, will you?”

First Twelve Days: Visiting the Library            

“N-No…”

Amy hid in the shadows under the porch, rain drenching wooden base above her. Her eyes were locked on her hands, bathed in blood. Something had gone wrong. Terribly wrong. Why had this happened though? Why was she here? What lead to all of this going so wrong?

When she woke up that morning, she was in bed with a beautiful young woman. At first, she was shocked, but it soon passed as she woke up and kissed Amy. She was so confused, but the woman didn’t seem to care. The morning progressed from there, feelings she had never felt before, but didn’t argue with. When it had ended, they had breakfast together.

The woman was named Kate, and she was lovely. Beautiful short brown hair, simple brown eyes, and a smile that made Amy feel special. From what she understood, they had met at a bar the night before, she had gotten drunk, and asked to stay the night at Kates house. Throughout the story, Amy thought something was wrong. Kate was right, she had been at a bar, but she didn’t even finish her first drink that night.

Throughout the morning, to the sounds of the rain and music playing on the speakers in Kate's house, Amy pieced her night together. She arrived at the bar, hoping to clear her head of the spiral of thoughts and fears that had begun to pile up over the last week. She ordered a drink and was approached by a young woman. From there, her memories are hazy. Something wasn’t right.

Then it hit her. Kate had drugged her. This revelation stained her face as she stared at Kate, not thinking what would happen next. Within the next hour, she was fearing for her life, being pushed back against the counter in the kitchen as a gun was pressed against her head. Kate had raped her the night before. And now she was threating to kill Amy if she didn’t stay and behave.

In a moment of desperation, Amy’s hand slipped into the sink. Her palm began to burn, causing her to look from the corner of her eye into the sink. She had cut herself on a knife in the sink. The want to get away and survive took hold, and she acted. She threw her hand from the sink, splashing a mix of water and blood at Kate as she ducked, narrowly dodging the first shot from the gun.

Quickly, she grabbed the knife with her other hand as she ducked, turning it in her hand. The next few motions were quick and rough. She slammed the knife into Kate’s leg, lifting herself up and pushing into her stomach at the same time. Without thinking she ran, heading for the first door she could find. Once outside, she dashed through the mud, finding an opening just big enough for her to slide under the porch. For the next fifteen minutes, she huddled in the dark, feeling the chill of the rain dripping from the deck onto her body.

Her clothes were soaked, caked in mud, and stained in her and Kate’s blood. Her right hand was covered in blood, and her left hand was cut open. She was going to die. Tears soon followed, the thought of dying finally breaking her.

“I don’t want to die!” she screamed, forgetting she was hiding. “I just want to get out of this nightmare!”

Then everything went black. When she opened her eyes, she wasn’t in the rain, or bleeding. Instead, she was standing in a library, staring at a woman and a child. The woman was sitting at a table, tea and cookies neatly arranged before her. There were two cups with steam wafting off them, as if she had been waiting for Amy.

“Miss Amethyst.” The woman said, lowering the book from her face. “Please sit. Have some tea. I mean you no harm. You look like you need someone to talk to.”

A routine of Tea at the Library.

“So, you still haven’t figured it out?”

“No,” Amy sighed as she placed her cup down on the plate before her. “To be honest I kind of gave up on it after a while.”

She was sitting at a table in the middle of a large library. Across from her was another woman, sipping at her tea as her eyes seemed lost in the book before her. She couldn’t remember the last time she was in this library, but nothing had changed since then. It made sense really, she could be years before, or after the moment in time when she was last in the library, and that was the worst part of it all.

To the librarian, she could’ve seen Amy a week ago, but to Amy it had been years. She had lived countless days across countless worlds, each one holding its own different adventure, but all ending the same way. After a while, she had given up on figuring out why she couldn’t stay in one place for longer than a day, and instead just live each moment to its fullest.

That didn’t clear up her confusion with the librarian though. This woman acted like an old friend to her the moment they met, going so far as to offer her tea and conversation for the duration of her stay. Ever since that time, she has been to the library once every dozen days or so, always arriving to a hot cup of tea, a plate of snacks, and a friendly, if slightly standoffish friend to talk to about her travels.

“Well Amy, maybe the answer will come around when you least expect it?” a young girl, no older than 6 or 7 said, reaching her hand across the table and grabbing a cookie. “After all, these kinds of things usually just solve themselves given enough time.”

“Maybe,” Amy responded, taking another sip of her tea. She stared into it for a few moments, thinking about the last couple of days. “But sometimes I wish it would end, and let me live a normal life again…”

She couldn’t remember the last time she had consistency in her life that wasn’t a cup of tea in a library. She missed it, and it hurt. To have a bedroom to sleep in for more than one night again. To have someone to share her mornings with more than just once every so often. To own clothes for more than a day. That was all she wanted.

“Amy,” the little girl leaned over her lap, her green hair splaying out as she scooted herself up onto her chair. “I promise there’s a reason this is happening. You won’t be stuck forever, ok?”

At first, she was confused. Why was this child saying this to her? And why did she sound so mature? But then she just broke, tears slowly running down her cheeks. This wasn’t a new thing, she cried almost all the time when she visited the library, but today was different. She wanted it all to stop, but she knew she couldn’t do anything about it.

“R-Right.” She said, patting the girl on the head. “Thank you, sweetie.”

“Well,” the librarian placed her cup down on the table as she spoke. “I do believe its about time for our friend to get on her way again.”

At this, Amy sighed. She was out of time once again. Every time she would arrive at the library, it would be a short visit, only a few hours at most. Compared to what she would usually do, it was less painful. She knew that she would be back, if not at the same time as she was last here, and that itself was a comfort. A soft smile would always find its way onto her face as she placed her empty cup down on the table.

“Until next time librarian.” She said, standing up from the table. “Maybe next time you’ll tell me your name.”

“Doubtful dear,” the librarian would answer, watching Amy walk through the doors of her library. “But we’ll see.”

The doors would close on their own behind her, leaving the library once more. After a few moments, the windows would light up, sunlight returning to the room. It was always dark when Amy would arrive, but not because it was night. The librarian thought it would be better to hide the outside world from the young woman, a small kindness she could consistently do for her.

“Yggdra…will that girl be ok?”

“It’s strange for you to be concerned about someone,” the little girl answered, before floating up from the ground. “But yes, she’ll be fine. It’s only a matter of time before she finds her place in time again.”

Mysteries over Tea.

“Tea again? Couldn’t prepare something a little stronger?”

Amy had arrived in the library once more, looking no worse for wear. The only positive side effect of her curse she thought, was the lack of any physical trauma it could permanently inflict on her. Especially this most recent time. What was she thinking? Running into a burning building to help complete strangers? She had been doing this for far too long.

“No! Tea and snacks! That way I can have cookies without getting in trouble.” The little girl who always served them responded in a very appropriate way. Innocence at the idea that as long as she served the same thing each time Amy visited, she would keep getting to sneak something away without getting in trouble.

“Yes, because Amy or I will get so mad at you if you do it at any other time.” The librarian remarked, her voice drenched in sarcasm. Amy couldn’t understand the relationship the two of them had.

At first, she thought they may be related, like the young girl was the librarian’s daughter. But over time it became clear that wasn’t the case. Then she thought she could be a niece, or a cousin. When she asked the librarian about it, the response she got was not what she was expecting.

“You’ve got to be kidding!” the librarian almost shouted the response at Amy. For once she finally lowered her book and glared at Amy without any hesitation. “I have no family, that’s alive at least.”

“Then who is she to you? You have her serve tea and snacks whenever I come, is she your servant or something?”

“Servant? No, nothing like that. Besides, she prepares all this without warning me. I only know its you when you walk through that door.”

That raised more questions than it could ever even begin to answer. Who on earth was the librarian? And who in the hell was the little girl that was with her? How did she know when Amy would arrive? As far as Amy could tell, she would be dropped somewhere at any given time, but never the same time twice. If the little girl knew whenever Amy was coming, she had to be more then just your average little girl.

In attempt to find out, Amy asked countless questions. Each trying to lead to the same final answer. But the girl was smart. She played around and dodged every question, answering with playful jokes or taunts and never giving a truly straight answer. After a while, Amy had enough of the games.

“Ok who, or what the hell are you!?” she grabbed the girl’s hand as she asked, making it clear that she didn’t want to play the silly games anymore. “I’ve had tea with the two of you countless times, and I still have no idea who you people are! You’re the only constants in my life anymore, I deserve to at least know who you are don’t I!?”

“Don’t do that Amy.” The response she got wasn’t from the girl, but the librarian. She looked to her, ready to snap at her as well. Instead, she shrunk back, pulling her hand away from the girl.

The librarian had changed. The hoodie she normally wore was now pulled over her head, and her face completely shrouded. Something told Amy that what she had done was very stupid. It seems that all the time she had spent jumping from day to day had made her a little more brave then she originally started out.

“S-Sorry…I just felt like I deserved to know…” Amy retreated into her seat, the weight of what she had just done hitting her like a ton of bricks. She was being selfish, and basically just threatened a young girl. She had gone way too far.

“Its fine Amy. Some things are better off a mystery, especially with the life you now lead. When the time is right, you’ll get the answers you want.”

“A-Alright…next time can I please have something stronger than tea though? I can’t promise my next visit won’t be after as many unpleasant experiences as I’ve had this time…”

“Uhhh, ok!” The little girl answered with a renewed smile, as though nothing just happened. “Next time I’ll bring more then tea for when you arrive!”

“Thank you…I just want to forget the last 11 days.”

Someone Remembers

Something was wrong. Very wrong. Amy had opened her eyes once more, knowing she had fallen into a new place in time. She was in a bar this time, or rather again. Bars seemed to be a fairly normal place for her to wake up in. The volume of people inside was probably the reason why, hard for people to notice someone just appearing out of thin air if the place was already packed to begin with.

At first, she paid it no mind. Same routine she was used to, land in a bar and live out the next 24 hours. Time could only tell what would follow her for that time. But then it all went wrong. Something she didn’t think was possible, happened for the first time. Someone recognized her! And not because she was in someone else’s body, not this time she was herself. They noticed her because they remembered her.

“Amy!? Oh my god it really is you! It’s been almost a year, where have you been?” He called out to her, making his way to the table she was drinking at.

She remembered him all to clearly. The guy she slept with after a party he threw at his house. He was lovely. He didn’t pry or push her for anything. Instead, he was just really talkative. He wanted to just have a talk and get to know her. She was the one that offered they sleep together, of course he wouldn’t remember that. He was well passed drunk at that point.

“Has it been? I’m sorry I’m terrible with time lately.” She answered, smiling at him. She felt terrible. How could she know it had been a year? How in the hell did he remember her to begin with?

No one had ever remembered her in the past, let alone proven that she can travel to the same time more than once. She thought it was a one-time thing, which is why she decided to sleep with him. He was so sweet she didn’t want to just leave with the thought of him in her mind. But that had backfired. For a while all she could think about was how she left him, never to remember her again after the night they shared.

“I was honestly really disappointed when you weren’t still at my place when I finished work. I was hoping to talk to you again, and maybe see if you wanted to go on a proper date.”

His words hurt her. Of course, she wanted to go on a proper date. She just couldn’t. There was no guarantee that she would still be there, let alone appear in that time period in time for the date. And it stung more than leaving him behind did. She realized early on that she actually cared for him and wanted to keep seeing his smile.

“Well, uh…If you’re not busy in 3 days do you want to grab dinner?” She asked, freezing after the words left her mouth. What had she done!? If he says yes and she doesn’t end up back here in 3 days, she’s going to break his heart!

“For real Amy!? I’d love that! Oh, let me get your number so I can text you and we can set up a pickup day of.”

“O-Oh that won’t be necessary! I’ll meet you at your place, I do still remember how to get there.”

“Oh, alright. Well, we can discuss what we’re going to have when you come over. I’ll drive though, so you’re free to drink at dinner.”

“You’re sweet Alvis.” She smiled at him as she spoke. She was going to make it for that date. “I have to get going. What’s your favourite colour? I’ll do my best to get a nice dress that fits that colour.”

“Hmmm, honestly, I would love to see you in purple. The thing that’s stuck with me for the last year was your eyes, so I think you’d look amazing in it.”

“Alright, purple it is.” She told him, leaning in and kissing his cheek. “I’ll see you in three days.”

The Fire

Smoke and ash filled the air and stained the snow on the ground grey and black. The fire seemed to find more fuel as it burned through the structuring of the house, a plume of smoke bursting forth following a small explosion. Sparks and heat flew from the structure, joining the smoke and ash as the fire raged.

The building was huge, the central house of a prominent estate engulfed in flames. The townsfolk had all gathered at a safe distance, watching the building burn in the light of the moon. None of them understood how or why the house had been set ablaze, but they knew the house wouldn’t be recovered. Then came a scream.

One of the women watching the blaze saw a shadow begin to emerge from the fire. At first, she thought it was a monster, as the shape was far too inhuman to be a person. Then she realized it was someone trying to pull another from the blaze. When it clicked, she rushed to the firemen that had just arrived on seen.

“T-There’s someone coming out of the blaze!” she yelled, drawing the attention of the other onlookers.

When others finally noticed this, people sprang into action. Several bystanders rushed towards the figure. When they got close enough, they discovered it was a young woman. Sweat ran down her face, and soot clung to her blond hair. She was trying to carry a man almost twice her size out of the fire. Without hesitation, two of the gentlemen that ran to her aid pulled the man from her shoulder, working together to carry him free.

“Miss please,” the third was trying to bring her to the crowd. She wouldn’t go, instead turning back towards the blaze. “It’s not safe for you to go back in! Let the firemen handle this!”

“N-No!” she yelled back, before going into a coughing fit. Her clothes were torn and burned. Her shirt hung to her chest, burns around the sleeves and tears along the stomach and shoulders. Her jeans were stained with blood, a gash opened on the back of her left leg. “There are still others inside!”

Before the man could stop her, she ran inside. The gash on her leg didn’t seem to matter, she was running on too much adrenaline. Soon her figure was lost to the flames, his attention turned to the firemen making their way to him.

“She said there were others inside! You need to save them!”

When they made it inside, the damage was far worse than everyone first thought. The main floor was already destroyed, fires running on the last of their fuel. Laying on the ground were several burned corpses, unlucky casualties that couldn’t be saved. Noting this, they made their way upstairs. The hallway at the top of the first set of stairs was blocked, debris blocking the way beyond the entrance.

There was someone laying on the ground before the debris. They looked stunned and confused, holding the scraps of a shirt in their hands. One of the men pulled them to the stairs, trying to get their attention the entire time. The only response they could get were the same words repeated over and over again.

“She just…vanished…”

A Date Unprepared

Amy leaned against the table, a familiar scene playing out before her once more. The morning after. This time it wasn’t a party, nor was she drugged. This time she was at dinner when she opened her eyes. It was a dinner date with a rather lovely gentleman. He was a businessman from Japan, on business in New York. From what she gathered he was very shy and had worked up the courage to ask her out after a meeting one day. She had apparently said yes.

She coasted her way through the dinner date, making sure not to make any mistakes due to her lack of preparation. She had gone to the bathroom before he ordered a bottle of wine, using it as an excuse to look herself over. What she found was honestly shocking. She wasn’t herself. Her hair was red, not blonde. She was far more developed than she knew she was. The dress she wore was something she would wear if given the chance though.

A one-piece party dress with an open back. The front was cut low, to show off her sizeable cleavage. She did a few spins, taking in her whole form. She was gorgeous. Her hair was let loose, going down to her lower back with a natural wave to it. She couldn’t believe this girl said yes to the gentleman that she was out with. Then something tugged at her mind. A memory from the girl she was replacing.

This girl was incredibly shy. She had next to no experience with men, which worried Amy. She watched the memory, seeing that this girl was over the moon that she got asked out. She was nervous though. She had been watching the man for a while, trying to come up with the courage to ask him out herself. Now she had a date with him!

“Oh, you innocent flower…” Amy mumbled, cupping her cheeks in her hands. “Alright, I’ll do my best to make sure this date goes well! But I won’t put out. You’re a virgin, we can’t just give it up on the first date.” When she said that, Amy thought she heard a whisper in her mind. Someone saying thank you. This just proved to her that she had to do her best for this girl.

From there the night was amazing. She tried to act as close to the girl’s normal personality as she could, just in case he asked her for a second date. He rarely talked about work, instead asking Amy about what she liked and trying to find ways to not only learn more about her but let her out of her shell. He was so sweet and considerate; Amy couldn’t help but think that this girl had chosen right.

When the night was over, he was walking her out to a cab, telling her that he would love to take her out the next time he was in town. That’s when Amy got an idea. All throughout the date, she could hear whispers in her mind, as though someone was giving her answers. So, she decided to do something for the girl she had taken over for.

“Well Emily, I would love to take you out for dinner again the next time I’m in town.” The gentleman spoke, opening the cab door for her. “I had a very good night.”

Before getting in the cab, Amy stepped up to him and placed her hands on his chest. She raised herself as high as she could in the heels she had been wearing and kissed him. The whispering in her mind suddenly stopped, instantly replaced with uncontrollable screaming. When she broke the kiss, she playfully brought a finger to her lips, stepping back.

“I’d love that. You’re very sweet, but maybe a movie next time? These heels are not very comfortable if I’m being honest.”

Her playful attitude almost threw him off, but he recovered and agreed. Then she was on her way home, a smile plastered across her face the entire time. When she arrived at the girl’s home, she took a shower and went straight to bed, knowing full well that her time was almost up. She dreamed for the first time in a long time that night, remembering all the travels she had been on. Something she would wish to never have again in the future.

“Well Emily, you’re the first person I’ve traded with.” She spoke, looking in the mirror as she finished getting ready for work. “I hope I taught you a little bit about courage with that last little stunt of mine. And good luck, he seems like a very sweet boy. I hope to meet you properly next time. Till then, I wish you the best.”

• 1 month later...

Another lost soul

“Another one?”

The Librarian was once again having tea with the young woman, but this time it was just the two of them. They were watching another world, another place in the vast multiverse. At the time, Amy had run into another burning building. She was becoming quite courageous. That’s when they saw her.

A young woman, no older then 17, confused and scared. She was trying her best to get Amy’s attention, as if she could see what she really was. Of course, she probably could, after all no one could see her. She was another special case like Amy. The difference, she was lost in space, not time.

“Why hasn’t she moved to a new world Yggdra?” The Librarian asked, gently placing the teacup on the table.

“She doesn’t know how. Unlike Amy, this girl can control her abilities. She can choose to move on, she just has to figure out how.” The young girl answered, hopping down from the chair she was sitting in.

“Hmm, interesting. The multiverse is having quite a bit of fun it seems.”

The idea of the multiverse itself thrusting people into positions like this was not surprising, but it wasn’t common. It was even rarer in mortals. The Librarian was a good example of this. She was a simple woman that loved to read, and when she went through the ceremony to summon a spirit, she was bound to the very source of the spirit’s realm herself.

There were others in her world that were the same. The woman bound to the manifestation of time, the man bound to the eternal phoenix, and the head professor of the academy himself, whose spirit was Mother Gaia. She knew of a few from throughout the multiverse. But those who didn’t have magic or abilities like it were even rarer.

“Do you think another might appear?” She asked the girl, waving her hand to push away the vision.

“Yes. More are coming, and that’s what scares me the most.”

Archived