Example of Play

The replies to this post will be me going back and forth with myself as the player and GM, just to give you an idea of what I'm aiming for.

The tone, length and even genre (I don't know why this turned out to be horror.) here are not representative. I also found myself not writing any dialogue for this, but that will be important. I guess, the real takeaway is the format, with focus on the bold text which will serve as OOC notes especially when you are taking actions. I like the intent of your character's action to be clear. The last thing I want is for you to write that you "Draw my sword and drop into a fighting crouch", with the intent of trying to look dangerous to scare off the bandit and for me to Reply "(Strong Success), you drive the sword into his neck, killing him instantly." It's not always necessary, but I'd say to just include it.

Posts (especially my GM ones) will likely be longer and more descriptive, especially on the introduction of new scenes, characters and creatures. But when the actions happen, it'll get shorter. The idea being (especially when you are in a party) that it keeps the action moving and makes it easier for each character to get something to me before I move on with my reply.

If none of this makes any sense, please drop me a line. I want to clarify and edit this post to make it better.

Edited by LewdiKris

GM

Scene 1 - Testonia!

Our adventure begins as so many do, in a tavern. The dimly lit, but cosey interior is a welcome shelter from the frosty, winter winds that howl and claw like wolves at the shutters and loose fitting door. Fortunately the banked and well-stoked firpit at the centre of the room fills the air with comfortable, smokey warmth. There are, perhaps, a dozen folk gathered in the place, among them is our adventurer. They are, ME!, a travelling witch-doctor selling her services to the disparate towns and villages that scatter the Ironlands.

OOC - Please, Me. Let us know what ME! looks like? What is she doing at this moment? Does she have a drink?

Edited by LewdiKris

Player:

ME! sits in the shadowiest corner of the Tavern, hoping to avoid too much notice. She is a tall, lean woman with long black hair that spills from a widebrimmed, lowslung leather hat. Her pretty, but severe face is set in a look of determination as she chews at a piece of stale hardbread from her pocket, rather than relying on the Innkeeps cooking. She knows much about the poisons and substances in the Ironlands, that knowledge has spoiled the idea of having another cook for her. She eyes the rest of the crowd warily, knowing that her witchy sort are viewed with suspicion, until they are needed. Her clothes are simple, hard-worn and oft-repaired. An old pack which contains almost all of her worldly posessions.

GM:

As the afternoon turns to evening, the taverns patrons begin to thin out as people brave the cold to return to their homes. ME! Stays, perhaps considering whether or not to pay the Innkeep for space on his floor or risk a night under the stars in this weather. She finishes her meagre meal and looks up to realise that besides her, the burly Innkeeper and his redhaired daughter, only one other patron remains. He's short, but broad and wears a thick, black beard. The two's eyes meet briefly and it appears the bearded fellow looks as if he's about to speak, when a sudden thud comes from the door.

All eyes turn toward the mishapen, ill-fitting planks of dirty wood that keeps the winter out. The wind dies down, leaving an ominous, even more chilling silence.

"What wa-" Begins the bearded man in a thickly accented rumble.Boom! comes another thump at the door, killing his half-spoken question.

The sound causes the tavern occupants to jump. Another crash follows the second and a long, jagged crack splits the doors face. Before anyone can react, the final thundering sound comes and the door tears from it's rusted hinges and it's splinters scatter across the rushes. The Innkeep lets our a scream, ME! jumps to her feet and the bearded man rises in a fighting crouch with a crude, bronze axe in one meaty fist.

In the door way, stands a tall, slender shape. Narrow limbs on a strong, thick body in a humanoid arrangement. The things head is huge and shaggy, half concealed by shadow with a pair of glittering, savage, yellow eyes passing over the three people standing stunned before it. Between it's hairy thighs hangs an obscene, thick member which wobbles, flaccid and heavy as the creature breathes.

What do you do?

GM:

(Strong Success)

The Witch-Doctors mind flitters back to a memory of a night spent in the pleasing company of a grizzled monster hunter. She had picked his brain for stories and insights for a few delightful evenings in an isolated cabin before going their seperate ways. One of these stories in particular, of a deadly battle with a creature he called a Yeti comes to her mind. His vivid descriptions match too closely with what stands in the doorway to be coincidence. Her eyes dart around the room, as she remembers that these creatures are physically powerful and incredibly tough, but they do fear fire!

What do you do?

Edited by LewdiKris

Player:

ME! sees the firepit, snatches up one of the rickety chairs and jabs it into the firepit. The flames lick up the dry, old wood and the chair alights. She turns toward the beast, hoping to ward it off with her flaming brand.

OOC: Pretty obvious, she wants to use the fire to keep the beast back.

Edited by LewdiKris

GM:

(Weak Success)

The beast ducks through narrow doorway, it's glistening jaws and bright eyes catching the flames. It reaches a long, claw tipped hand toward ME! But as she yells and jabs the burning chair towards it, the beast growls and steps sideways, away from her and the door. However, the bearded man seems to think this is an opportunity. He leaps at the monster with his axe coming down in a two-handed swing, ME! watches in horror as the beast brushes aside the blow and slams one of it's terrible, clawed hands into the warriors chest.

The sudden, but almost casual nature of the violence causes ME! to flinch, and her flaming chair slips from her grasp and collapses as it strikes the hardwood floor. The Innkeep screams again and begins to scramble toward one of the windows. The beast seems distracted for a moment, content to rend and tear at the dying warrior. The door stands wide, snowy woodland visible beyond.

What do you do?

Player:

ME! watches the horror for a beat longer, then her mind catches up and she takes of at a sprint whilst giving a small prayer of thanks to the nameless warrior who gave his life. She bolts through the door and out into the snow.

OOC: She hopes to get clear of the tavern before the Yeti finishes with the warrior and hope that it goes for the innkeep instead.

GM:

(Fail!)

OOC: Ooh, bad news ME! It's fun talking to myself and not a sign of a degenerating mental state...

ME! bursts from the tavern's door way and she casts a quick look backward, the glance only tells her that her dropped brand has caught the rushes. Guilt slips under the sense of panic and adrenaline as she realises that the tavern will likely be cinders come the dawn. The sky is darkening, but there is plenty of light for her to see by. Snow crunches with every step and her breath frosts the air before her. She hears another scream from the Tavern, which ends with suddenly, and ominously. Another guilty wave crashes over her heart, another death so that she might live.  The cold hair flushes her cheeks and she manages another dozen yards before she hears it.

The crunching of snow, but not that from her own feet. She manages a choked scream as one of the yeti's powerful hands wraps around her ankle and she faceplants into virgin snow. The Yeti growls, she feels it's breath on her neck as it leans close and then suddenly it pulls away. Any relief is short lived as she is suddenly yanked, her clothes riding up her body and icey, snow kissing her pale skin. She screams again and the beast ignores her, dragging her towards the trees.

(End of Scene)

Edited by LewdiKris