Multiversus

I have bizarre mixed feelings about this game.

It's free to play with a season pass, you unlock wonder woman for free and there are four rotating characters that are playable for free at any given time (right now being Superman, Garnet, some dog I'm not familiar with and Finn), but everything else has a very steep cost for what you get. 20 bucks for a BTAS skin? It's in my heart, but not my wallet lmao. It's a pretty money hungry freemium game.

This is an odd thing though. Growing up I was a big time Warner Bros kid. I remember that golden time where we got amazing shows, Looney Tunes were everywhere and they had dedicated WB stores where you could get the coolest merch, so seeing all of these characters together like this has brought back a rush of nostalgia and with it a hefty dose of seratonin.

When talking to a few friends who are competitive smash players that are going hard on this game, I came to learn that WB owns A LOT more shit than I initially believed which opens many doors (ed boy) of possibility for what sort of content we could see in it, be they playable characters, environments, icons, ring out animations and more.

It controls very............ So, think about Super Smash Bros. It handles like a perfect lover. It's tight. It's deep. it's satisfying. Every button press is well timed and meaningful, landing that sweet combo feels good. Multiversus, an obvious "smash clone", feels like more chaos than control. The technical depth of the smash formula is lost in a zany cloud of laser vision, oversized mallets, rocket fists, sword clashes and tasmanian devils. In many ways it feels appropriate and it doesn't feel broken, per se, but I do somehow feel like the gameplay suffers for it.

Still, there are enough Easter eggs, references and in jokes to keep me smiling with the promise of more goodies on the way. Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman, the Space Kook ghost makes an appearance, Shaggy is acknowledged as being incredibly powerful for the second time, the Iron Giant is there and the future of the game looks bright.

That being said, there are a few things I would certainly like to see added to this game. 

- A Green Lantern character or Sinestro. With the power of the rings, the constructs seem like they would be perfect for a game like this, with all of the different moves available to any given character. There certainly needs to be villains on the roster.

- Freakazoid! If you know, you know.

- Mad Max. Of Mad Max fame, not Stranger Things fame, though I heard it's possible we could see Eleven at some point.

- Daffy Duck, for real, where is he? I also heard a rumor about Duck Dodgers making it in, which is perfectly acceptable.

- Beast Boy is another character that would be right at home in a game like this, every special move being something from a different animal. A charging rhino, a chomping Rex, you get the picture. I think Raven is confirmed.

What about you guys, if anyone has played it? Anything you want to see in there? How do you feel about the game so far?

Archived