The Further It Sounds, The Closer It Is [V or S]

If you go deep enough in the woods, the trees begin to reflect sound. Voices curve in unexpected ways. The crunch of leaves begins to boom. A scream falls short.

Nested in a valley of northern Colorado, an oddity is said to stalk through the woods. Birds silence, trees are marked, animals are absent. Disappearances mount, and searches end fruitlessly. No one can agree on a single form for it, but all description leads to gnashing teeth, piercing claws, and a warning of some form. Maybe it doesn't want you to fall victim, or maybe it just wants to see you try. Don't follow a cry for help in the forest, the further it sounds, the closer it is.

Hey, just decided to put an idea out here. Kind of experimenting a bit with horror since I feel like trying to make something actually scary.

The general gist is that you guys will be anywhere from campers to rangers, to really anyone, and you decided to go out into a small valley in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Whether you're here to disprove it, or kill it, or just have a cool place to camp-out, it's obvious something's out there. The further into the forest you go, trees are slashed deeper than any bear, birds fall silent, and a voice is heard in the distance, playing on your sympathy as they ask, and soon, beg for help. It pulls you like a dollar on a string, sounding further and further away, just hoping you run straight into its jaws.

I kept this a bit short; wanted to keep some ambiguity since I do kind of feel like keeping my cards discrete, but if interest isn't gotten, I'll see if I can add more. The monster is a character I've played around with before, so I've got my own limits and weaknesses and you'll know if you find one (if admins ask, I'll answer, no worry). And because of the nature of these strengths, death might not necessarily be the end for these victims, so no worry about needing to quit or making a new character after dying.