19-Main Bay

• 11 months later...

"How The FUCK Do You Get Fat In This Establishment, Private??!!" There was shouting in the Main Bay of the Black Star, a grizzled, deep toned man was currently busy chewing the life out of a young soldier who did indeed look a little thicker than before. 

"I'm sorry Commander, I've just been given a lot during downtime and I didn't want it to-" The Private tried to protest but to no avail as the Commander got in the kids face. 

"If you get shot in the battlefield who the fuck do you think has to carry you back? Your squamates, who wears a Battle Dress Uniform which weighs fifty pounds and equipment which is an additional forty!! Until you shed the fat off your ass, you won't be sent anywhere!! Am I clear?!" 

The Private looked like he was about to cry, however gave a strong, "Yes Sir!" 

"Now get your ass out of this hangar bay and get moving!!!" 

Joseph Briggs was the Commander of the Black Star Voyager, the second in command of the entire vessel and it's personnel. A product of his generation, considered the "Gen X" of Humanities future, it wasn't just his drive or commitment to his job that made Joseph who he was. It were the horrors of war and the trials he went through that made the slowly aging man gritty, nasty, and harsh. A quality of the finest members of the vessel no one could match was hard, brutal honesty that he had, dubbed, "The Gordon Ramsey," of the Black Star. Although his ass chewing was delivered in the harshest ways the Commander wasn't wrong, the ship needed physically fit personnel for the mission. 

As the Private ran off, the Commander glanced to the individuals in the hangar who had halted their work. Immediately they went back to it and he walked away, checking station to station making sure everything was going according to schedule. Some say today he woke up in a bad mood, but who could blame him? The stress combined with keeping track of a bunch of fucking kittens. 

'You should have been easier.' 

'He'll slow down other units. Fatigue, lack of strength and stamina, he'll die in a combat situation.' 

Not much was known about Briggs, only that he was one of the Hunter Supersoldiers, a slowly declining but otherwise legendary units during the Human-Xenti War. Any information of his past was only disclosed to the Captain of the ship, not even the other high ranking officers had that kind of access. Government and Military benefits. As he started up the railing to the second floor of the hangar Briggs looked out to everything below from crew members to vehicles and equipment. This was his only life, the military. 

• Like 1