A new world to explore

Hello everyone I’m Nether! I’m a new person here and would like to get to know some people! It’s 3am at the time of posting so I probably won’t respond until later but if anyone is down to RP let me know!

Im also a dm for dnd if anyone have some nasty traps they want to send my way 😉

I have all my brother's old stuff as well as everything since I started running games. I've never been much of a trap DM, but my brother and his friends used to use the old standbys pretty regularly.

They did the usual pit trap into gelatinous cube. I altered it to a pit trap to a "water slide" type experience. When the PCs triggered the trap, the doors sealed and oil started to run down all the walls, coating them. Naturally the PCs went to the next door, what they assumed was the exit, and as soon as they managed to get it open, the door, wall, and floor for fifty feet around all gave way and dropped the PCS into a (by now) well-oiled funnel that fed them in a series of greased, round tubes, much like a water slide. They had chances along the way to make DEX saves to try to adjust their direction when the tubes split into different shafts. In this manner two of them ended up together, two more ended up together, and the last two were alone. They all fell into the tops of cages which closed as they tumbled in. The cages were dangling from the ceiling of an arena, and they were lowered in a timed manner to join the battle below against creatures native to the dungeon. In this case it was demons that had been captured by devils (since they were in Avernus) and forced to fight to the death. Of course the arena was full of traps as well.

I have his whole list of "Diabolical and Deadly Traps" somewhere. I remember one was a two-spell trap - web then fireball. The web spell would trigger, catching many PCs, and then as those who weren't caught were trying to free the others, the fireball spell was cast after a couple rounds. That one was nasty, but I think he stole it from somewhere/one else. I know he did the usual poison needle trap, which he turned into the "poison needler" shotgun blast spell that got multiple targets. There was a magnetic or reverse gravity room (I think  it was magnets, because I think it got the armored guys up in the air and the squishy types left on the ground) that pulled some of the party toward a danger on the ceiling while the rest had to fight something on the ground. I don't remember specifics of that one. The duplicator mirror was fun - it made an exact duplicate of whoever failed a CHA save while looking into it. The duplicate existed to kill and replace the original. I'm pretty sure those were all copied from various forums and websites though, because he wasn't much for planning elaborate traps on his own. He always said, "I found something online..." My guess is a simple google search will probably get you a better list than what I put above, but I bet most of what I listed is on any list you find in one form or another.

2 minutes ago, IsabellaRose said:

I have all my brother's old stuff as well as everything since I started running games. I've never been much of a trap DM, but my brother and his friends used to use the old standbys pretty regularly.

They did the usual pit trap into gelatinous cube. I altered it to a pit trap to a "water slide" type experience. When the PCs triggered the trap, the doors sealed and oil started to run down all the walls, coating them. Naturally the PCs went to the next door, what they assumed was the exit, and as soon as they managed to get it open, the door, wall, and floor for fifty feet around all gave way and dropped the PCS into a (by now) well-oiled funnel that fed them in a series of greased, round tubes, much like a water slide. They had chances along the way to make DEX saves to try to adjust their direction when the tubes split into different shafts. In this manner two of them ended up together, two more ended up together, and the last two were alone. They all fell into the tops of cages which closed as they tumbled in. The cages were dangling from the ceiling of an arena, and they were lowered in a timed manner to join the battle below against creatures native to the dungeon. In this case it was demons that had been captured by devils (since they were in Avernus) and forced to fight to the death. Of course the arena was full of traps as well.

I have his whole list of "Diabolical and Deadly Traps" somewhere. I remember one was a two-spell trap - web then fireball. The web spell would trigger, catching many PCs, and then as those who weren't caught were trying to free the others, the fireball spell was cast after a couple rounds. That one was nasty, but I think he stole it from somewhere/one else. I know he did the usual poison needle trap, which he turned into the "poison needler" shotgun blast spell that got multiple targets. There was a magnetic or reverse gravity room (I think  it was magnets, because I think it got the armored guys up in the air and the squishy types left on the ground) that pulled some of the party toward a danger on the ceiling while the rest had to fight something on the ground. I don't remember specifics of that one. The duplicator mirror was fun - it made an exact duplicate of whoever failed a CHA save while looking into it. The duplicate existed to kill and replace the original. I'm pretty sure those were all copied from various forums and websites though, because he wasn't much for planning elaborate traps on his own. He always said, "I found something online..." My guess is a simple google search will probably get you a better list than what I put above, but I bet most of what I listed is on any list you find in one form or another.

Those are some great traps! Might kill lower leveled parties but they would fit well into the TOA book.

On 22/02/2023 at 09:04, Nether said:

Those are some great traps! Might kill lower leveled parties but they would fit well into the TOA book.

Makes sense. Heck he might have stolen some of them FROM the original Tom of Horrors. That was full of "douchebag DM" traps though, the kind where you checked for traps in every room and one missed check could get you disintegrated, no saves. I hated traps like that. I vastly prefer traps that the players can detect (why not, they're adventurers!) but then have to figure out how to disarm, defuse, or disable. Or just hope for the best and run through. Or miss entirely despite my warnings and then trigger, very much like Indiana Jones lifting that gold statue when he thought he had the right weight to replace it. For me, traps are no fun if they're instakill, and only moderately more fun if there aren't options, like splitting the party up, sending them to new locations, or changing the story in an interesting way. That's why I prefer Dungeon World and other more improv games.

1 hour ago, IsabellaRose said:

Makes sense. Heck he might have stolen some of them FROM the original Tom of Horrors. That was full of "douchebag DM" traps though, the kind where you checked for traps in every room and one missed check could get you disintegrated, no saves. I hated traps like that. I vastly prefer traps that the players can detect (why not, they're adventurers!) but then have to figure out how to disarm, defuse, or disable. Or just hope for the best and run through. Or miss entirely despite my warnings and then trigger, very much like Indiana Jones lifting that gold statue when he thought he had the right weight to replace it. For me, traps are no fun if they're instakill, and only moderately more fun if there aren't options, like splitting the party up, sending them to new locations, or changing the story in an interesting way. That's why I prefer Dungeon World and other more improv games.

While yes I agree with you that this newest version of the Tom of Horrors is vastly outdated with the traps it did have a use in its original publishing. It was designed to show that nobody is truly immortal back then.

Archived