Ultra Calamity: A Pokemon Ultra Moon Nuzlocke - Episode 13: The Ultra Final Trial

Well, today's the day.  After taking some time to recover from the despair filled nightmare that was Ultra Necrozma, we're back and ready to take on the final trial.  But before we delve deep into this mess, I did do some grinding and chose to add Evil Kelp the Dragalge to the team, mostly just to handle this last trial.  He honestly has no other major roles to play outside of that, to be honest.  Otherwise, it was the standard "raise everyone up and have a backup mon prepared for certain things in this episode" kind of grinding.

So, when all your item purchases and grinding is done, make your way to the Wishcash boat...house thing, a place you probably visited if you searched around town for Totem Stickers like I did and never mentioned.  Because, upon walking inside and talking to Mina, it's time for...

Trial #8: The Trial of Mina!  The Alola Flower Quest!

You know, I just realized this is the final time I get to give these trials random titles.  It just goes to show that we really are nearing the end.  So, what do we have to do this time?  Well, we have to battle Mina.  Yes, this is a very battle heavy trial.  Anyway, let's talk about Mina.  She's got Fairy types, so you should expect that the totem this time will be a Fairy type.  That's not totally important yet, though.  She starts off with an Intimidate Mawile, so it ruined The Third's chances to instakill it.  Two hits still finished it off.  After the Mawile comes a Granbull...that also has Intimidate.  The Granbull of course, has Earthquake for coverage, a move you cannot get by TM at all in the main story.  I got lucky and Evil Kelp lived the hit.  Last but not least, she has a Ribombee.  I'm not going to say anything about this, but keep this thing's existence in mind for later.  I stood in hoping Evil Kelp could tank whatever this thing wants to do while I heal up...but like the Granbull, this thing has a coverage move in Psychic.  It didn't kill, but it got a Special Defense drop first hit, so I had to switch out into Master Derp to take the second one.  Be very careful with this battle, though, along with the others.

I brought back in Evil Kelp to take the Pollen Puff, and he was able to tank the two Psychics and finish off the Ribombee with a Sludge Wave.  That was...pretty dangerous.  As a reward for our efforts, we get...a Pink Petal?  That's not much of a prize for winning, you know.  Now it's time for the real trial.  We have to go around Alola and get a petal from each of the captains.  Rotom thinks this is a nice, relaxing trial, but it's anything but.  Do you really think they're just going to give us the petals for free?  Of course not, this is Ultra Sun and Moon, where everyone and their grandma wants to battle.  Enough complaining for now, though.  We should start with the first captain we ever encountered, Captain Ilima.  Looks like it's time to take another trip to Tutorial-I mean, Melemele Island.  Hopefully, this'll be the last time.

Before I forget, though very careful with this battle, along with the others. Every battle during this trial, the captain's ace will have a Z-move at the ready, and you could be facing a death or two.

Now before we go after Captain Ilima, I do want to note that I did temporarily take Styles out of the party in exchange for my backup team member, The Whip, who we caught back in Vast Poni Canyon.  I grinded him up, got him evolved into Mienshao since we don't have Thug Life anymore, and he's only a level behind the rest of the party.  Anyway, I really didn't want to have to revisit Tutorial Island so let's get this visit done quickly.  We have to find Captain Ilima, and the first place to check would probably be his trial site.  Nothing in this place is a challenge anymore, so you should be able to flee or crush anything you run into inside Verdant Cavern.   When you reach the trial guide, he'll say that Captain Ilima isn't even here.  He's off at Hau'oli Cemetery right now.  But...why?  Oh well, we may as well go after him.  Back to Hau'oli City we go so we can reach Route 2.

...or you can Charizard Glide straight to Hau'oli Cemetery.  That's fine.  Anyway, walking inside, we are immediately greeted by a Decidueye.  I wonder...who do we know who owns a Decidueye?  Well, if you guessed Hau, go get yourself a cookie, because you earned it.  Hau's changed a bit...and he finally gave me an item that can be useful to me.  Who is this and what happened to the Hau that gave me nothing but useless junk for items?  He wants to have a serious battle with us when we finish our island challenge, but we all know how that'll end.  Hau sucks.  He can't beat me...right?  Well, that's not important right now.  We're still in the middle of a trial, and we need to fight Captain Ilima again.  He gives a little bit of banter about how he traveled with his mom when he was young, but we're not here for that.  We're here to blow up his team, so let's do it.

Looks like that Yungoos of his has evolved into a Gumshoos.  A shame that The Whip has High Jump Kick to completely obliterate it's face.  Next up is a Komala, and the same song and dance applies here.  He also still has that Smeargle, but Smeargle sucks.  Sure, it has Extreme Speed now, but it still didn't take a kick to the face.  Captain Ilima is no threat to me anymore.  As a reward for tearing his team apart, we earn ourselves an Orange Petal.  Captain Ilima also tells us that Hau has been training a lot...which could be a bit concerning.  Anyway, Captain Ilima will bring us to Lush Jungle for our next epic encounter.  It's time to take on Mallow...right?

Anyway, upon walking into Lush Jungle, Mallow is looking around before randomly running off.  That girl has a petal for my trial and now she's running away from me?  I mean, sure, I'm the destroyer of Alola and my road to conquest is nearing it's conclusion, but is she really that scared of me?  Well then, I guess I should show her where she stands.  As we make our way forward, Mallow lets out a shout.  If someone else is destroying her and not me, I'm not going to be happy.  Let's go!

...Oh.  It's just Mallow, Lana, and some Fomantis and Comfey.  They're in the middle of some weird aromatherapy session.  I guess this was more than just an aromatherapy session because Mallow seems a little surprised when we show up.  I think Mallow and Lana were doing a little of this and that, and maybe a bit of the other thing.  I mean, I have no problem with it, but they can do this and that on their own time.  Mallow is clearly trying to hide that fact by lying to me.  Although, this is Ultra Moon, so instead of battling Mallow, we fight Lana, and she starts off with a Lanturn.  Spark Plug took the Hydro Pump like a champ and then blew up the Lanturn with a Choice Specs boosted Energy Ball.  Next up is Cloyster, and I chose to bring in The Whip for this thing.  Even Cloysters can't take a kick to the face and live.  Anyway, last but not least, is an Araquanid.  I brought Spark Plug in to bait out a Z-move, then sent in Evil Kelp.  He managed to live a Hydro Vortex, then Liquidation did a lot of damage on it's own because bad Defense.  With some healing, two Thunderbolts were enough to bring down the water spider.

Mallow hands us a Green Petal after the battle "because we're doing Mina's trial and not because it's a bribe" while Lana gives us a Blue Petal.  We're pointed towards Kiawe's place and with the power of just walking there with Mallow and Lana, we're here in moments.  Now, these two are off to get "a Bubble Beam from Araquanid."  First this and that and now using Pokemon for slave labor while you're doing this and that?  Those two are horrible.  Anyway, Kiawe's our next victim, and he's the same person who had the totem that killed three of my team members, so excuse me if I'm still a bit...well, very angry at him.

Making our way up to the Totem's Den, Kiawe isn't even here.  The only person here is that hiker from the trial.  What's the deal?  Suddenly, Kiawe shows up, and apparently, the hiker was filling in for him.  Filling in for what, the trials?  I don't think there's anyone else at all doing the island challenge except me and Hau.  Anyway, they have a nice chat before we fight Kiawe.  Of course, he throws out a massive threat called Arcanine.  Master Derp's Quick Claw let him get a first turn Scald in on the Arcanine, but this thing had Crunch.  After it's out of the way, he's bringing in his Alolan Marowak that probably has Shadow Bone.  You know, the move that the player can't get at all until the end of the game because "good movepools all around for remakes of Gen 1 mons."  Anyway, I chose to send in Evil Kelp, who took the Shadow Bone well because this isn't Thick Club Marowak, it's Firium Z Marowak.  Cursed Body disabled my Scald first shot, and Shadow Bone lowers Defense, which is pretty bad, so I sent in The Whip after Evil Kelp's Defense went down.

With a Stone Edge (and Cursed Body activating straight away again because the bot has the luck of a god), the Marowak is finished and all that remains is a Talonflame.  Since Mother has gotten zero action this whole time, I chose to send her in.  She ate the Brave Bird, and with a single Stone Edge, the Talonflame's wings were clipped.  Well, other than the Crunch Arcanine and the Marowak, that battle wasn't so bad.  Suddenly, we have to battle the hiker straight after Kiawe with no chance to prepare.  He only has one Magmar, and it's much lower leveled than the things you've been fighting lately, so this shouldn't be hard at all.  I mean, Master Derp instakilled it with Scald, so let that be an indication of how easy the hiker is.  So, after blowing up both of them, we earn ourselves a Red Petal. 

Next on the hitlist is Hokulani Observatory, where we'll have to blow up the Festival Plaza's creator himself, but upon walking into his room, we spot Molayne along with Sophocles, and it seems that they're having a moment.  A shame that I'm here to destroy Sophocles for my trial.  Molayne makes his leave and now we have to face Sophocles...or not?  He just gives me the Yellow Petal, but that means...oh no.  This is bad.  In Ultra Sun, you'd face Sophocles and then a certain other person would just give you the final petal, but now...

So, back to Aether House once again.  Why do we keep coming to this place?  Anyway, before taking on what's to come, I went and swapped out Spark Plug for Styles.  Why?  You'll see shortly.  I also gave Evil Kelp my Focus Sash and taught him Focus Blast over his Thunderbolt with the TM.    With my preparations aside, let's go towards Aether House...where Guzma is?  What's he even doing here?  Well, he's here to say thanks for the whole Necrozma thing.  Also, Hau is here for some reason.  We get a bit of lore about Guzma and how his Golisopod was his partner back on his own island challenge.  That's nice and all, and Guzma hands over a Grip Claw, but...I really don't care.  Guzma runs off while Hau shouts words at him, tells us again we'll have a serious battle, and then he's gone.  Now, how about we go see Acerola and get our battle done.

...is what I would say, but I have bad news for Ultra Moon players.  Acerola isn't here.  Nanu is here, and he's got our final petal.  You know what that means, right?  Ultra Moon players have to fight Nanu...again.  Sadly, you don't get the kahuna battle music, but you get another battle with those Dark types you love so much.  Styles was my lead for his Sableye and it was pretty much just a slow battle of Bite vs. Dark Pulse with Styles coming out on top.  Next is the threat itself, the Alolan Persian.  I played it safe expecting it to just Fake Out, but instead it went for the Z-move right off the bat.  With an X Sp. Def, though, it didn't do that much...then it crits and flinches right away the next turn with a regular Dark Pulse because that's fair.  He also got another crit before a Focus Blast blew him up.

All that remains now is an Absol.  The Whip loves to crush Dark types that aren't super fast, so I sent him in to handle this one.  The Absol outsped and nearly killed The Whip with Psycho Cut, but we lived it and a single kick to the face was all it took.  Well...that was a bit scary, but otherwise wasn't too bad.  As a reward, we get the Purple Petal, the final petal needed for our trial.  So now, let's head back to Mina's place in Seafolk Village and fight our final totem of the run.

So before we fight this totem, I swapped Styles out for Spark Plug and put the Choice Specs on Evil Kelp.  I did hint that we're fighting a Fairy type, so having a Poison type will be nice for this one.  Anyway, when you're ready, talk to Mina, because it's time for a showdown.  She'll take our seven petals to make a Rainbow Flower.  Once you get it, the door will open and the totem will appear.  So, we got a flower.  What kind of totem can we possibly fight?  Well, I already hinted at it earlier, and here it comes!

What kind of totem can we possibly fight?  Well, I already hinted at it earlier, and here it comes!

Say hello to the final totem of the Alola island trials, Ribombee!  This thing is dangerous.  Not only does it get +2 to all of it's stats, including it's already dangerous Special Attack and Speed, but it also carries one of the best setup moves in the entire game, Quiver Dance.  Oh, and it's Level 55.  This thing is scary.  It can very easily obliterate something on my team, and with setup, can blow through my whole party with no challenge.  Let's hope for the best, folks.

So, as for my plan...well, it's as simple as hope I kill it fast with Choice Specs boosted Sludge Wave.  It set up one Quiver Dance turn 1, then called up a Blissey.  This is where things get annoying, because Blissey has Helping Hand, Light Screen, AND Heal Pulse.  I tried to go for a quick kill, but failed to finish Ribombee so that Blissey could use Helping Hand on the next turn and absolutely obliterate Evil Kelp with Ribombee's +3 STAB Dazzling Gleam.  Welp, there goes my plan.  Plan B turned into pray that Blissey uses Helping Hand so my Focus Sash will save Spark Plug from death and then finish the Ribombee with a Flash Cannon.  All that remains now is the fat sack of experience.  Since it only has one attacking move, is a Normal type, and has no offensive strength at all, I switched into Mother, who ate the Dazzling Gleam, broke through the Light Screen and tore that Blissey apart.

Let's take a moment to let out a sigh of relief.  The final trial is over.  Evil Kelp may have died, but his sacrifice was not in vain.  We earn ourselves a Fairium Z, and we are pointed towards Exeggutor Island, where our final Grand Trial against Hapu will take place.  Also, the Focus Sash dissapears for good after use, so that sucks.  Before we go and do our MVP Spotlight, our carry during this trial deserves a proper burial.  I swear, though, are these Choice Specs cursed or something?  This is the second mon that died while having them on.  But Evil Kelp really carried this trial, and if he was alive, he'd have the MVP spot without question.  Although, he isn't here anymore, so I'll have to give the MVP spot to...

Out of all the team members who contributed to the success of this trial outside of Evil Kelp, The Whip honestly did the most

Out of all the team members who contributed to the success of this trial outside of Evil Kelp, The Whip honestly did the most.  Sure, Spark Plug killed the totem, but The Whip made some battles that would've been more dangerous a lot easier...by kicking them all in the face to their deaths.  At this point, it looks like Mother will probably never get an MVP Spotlight.  Even Styles did and I had pegged him for death fodder early on.  Right now, we have a date with Exeggutor Island and a final Grand Trial to do.

Upon reaching the island, we spot Hapu up on the ledge where we got the Moon Flute earlier.  When we talk to Hapu, an Exeggutor somehow gets up on the ledge while Hapu gives her brand new kahuna introduction, and now it's on.  So it should be fairly obvious what her type is at this point, but she leads with a Golurk.  I'm going with the standard "use items to set up and then sweep with Master Derp" strategy that worked so well against the Kommo-o before.  Of course, I have to expect the bot will get crits often because of course they do while I can never burn anything with Scald.  Anyway, after an X Speed, two X Defends, and an X Sp. Attack, I blew up the Golurk with a single Scald.

Next is that same old Mudsdale we've seen Hapu with all the time before.  Naturally, it has a Z-Crystal...but I'm set up on stuff, so it hardly matters because it died instantly to a Scald.  Next is a Flygon, but once again, it doesn't matter.  Sure, it outsped and landed a hit, but it didn't take a Psychic at all.  Last but not least is the best Gastrodon form, and I chose to play it safe and heal with a Slack Off just in case it crits me or something.  It took a Psychic pretty well, so I chose to bring in Spark Plug and finish the job with a Cursed Specs boosted Energy Ball.  And with that, I have swept most of the final Grand Trial with a set up Slowbro.  I do not feel guilty at all.

Suddenly Exeggutors.  But, we've finished our final Grand Trial.  We earn ourselves the Groundium Z.  Hapu tells us that our next destination is Mount Lanakila, but isn't that where Kukui was gathering up the members of his Cuck Club?  Oh no.  He's doing it again.  He's trying to stop my conquest of Alola.  That monster!  Ruining one run wasn't enough for him, so he has to do it twice?!  That's it!  Let's go and crush every member of his Cuck Club and achieve conquest of the Alola region!

But first, time for the final MVP Spotlight, and I think we already know who our MVP is.

But first, time for the final MVP Spotlight, and I think we already know who our MVP is

Who else would it be but Master Derp?  He's honestly been quite the carry for us in this run.  It's a surprise that both him and Spark Plug are still alive.  Then again, both of them have worn the Cursed Specs at one point or another, so I think it's only a matter of time before something really bad happens.  Let's not think about that for the moment, though.  We have a Cuck Club to destroy, and they're all waiting on Mount Lanakila.

It's been a good...not that long since we last visited Ula'ula Island.  We were here earlier because of Aether House stuff for the third time or so.  This time, however, we have a new mission.  Now, heading towards the base of Mount Lanakila, the elevator is raised, so how are we suppose to get further up?  Well, our good edgelord Gladion will come on down.  Turns out he's been waiting for us to come...to thank us.  Is this about the Necrozma thing, because I sure didn't get some big parade like at the end of X and Y for stopping Team Flare's genocide plan.  Oh, we also have to battle him.  He has a Z-Power Ring now, so of course we'll be in for some trouble.

Anyway, he has a Crobat now.  I chose to lead with Spark Plug and obliterate his Crobat with a Volt Switch before sending in The Whip for the eventual Zoroark.  He also now has a Lucario.  However, since anything could be the Zoroark, I chose to stay in and cue the kick to the face.  Although, the "Lucario" used Hyper Voice AND I missed High Jump Kick, leading to The Whip killing himself because of course I have to miss a 90 accuracy move at the most crucial moment.  With no real options left, I brought in Styles now that I know this Lucario is Zoroark.  It turns out that this Zoroark has the Z-Crystal and nearly killed Styles with a Black Hole Eclipse.  Luckily, he managed to live it and do a decent chunk to the Zoroark.  It had Night Daze, which honestly did a good amount and nearly killed Styles, but another Headbutt was all it took to finish that thing off.

Next is the real Lucario, so I left this one to Mother since I find it doubtful this thing has a coverage move to kill an Alolan Marowak.  Turns out I was right since all it managed to do was use Metal Claw before it took a Flare Blitz and died.  Last but not least is not Type: Null, but Silvally, the evolution of Type: Null.  It's type will always be whatever is stronger against your starter.  You know, the starter I don't have because Tiny is dead.  I chose to bring in Master Derp since I'm worried about Spark Plug's low base Speed.  Of course, it has a Bug and Dark move, so I healed up Styles and brought him in to start lowering this thing's Attack with a side helping of healing in case of a crit.  The combination of Cotton Guard, Fur Coat, and Baby-Doll Eyes made it so that Multi-Attack did almost nothing to Styles, and with his usual brand of Headbutt action, the Silvally was finished.  Of course...The Whip is dead now, so I have to grab Shades from my PC since he's the only thing left who's somewhat leveled up.

Gladion tells us where Lillie's gone off to, but who honestly cares anymore?  Meanwhile, we get a PP Max, tells us that Hau has changed, and then leaves.  We aren't friends, but we aren't enemies anymore, either.  He still made my Mienshao miss a 90 accuracy move and die, though.  I really feel like that was a cheap way to die, though.  We'll have to destroy the Cuck Club and conquer this region so that The Whip's death won't be in vain.  Now, with Gladion out of the way, we can go up to Mount Lanakila proper.  Is it here where we will get our final encounter of the main story, so let's hope and pray for something decent.

Absol, yet another member of the "good if mega evolution was possible in the main story" club.  Otherwise, it's a shame that this is my final encounter of the main story, because Absol is honestly pretty disappointing.  It's variety of moves is pretty meh and good stuff like Play Rough and Megahorn are egg moves.  Sure, it gets some decent tutor moves, but...I'm not really a fan of what Absol has going for it.  Quick Ball technology failed me, so I had to weaken it and chuck an Ultra Ball at it the old fashioned way.  I named it Calamity since it's the Disaster Pokemon.  How fitting that this series is called Ultra Calamity and our final encounter is named Calamity.

Pressure instead of Super Luck with a Speed lowering nature.  He just wants to be a disappointment, doesn't he?  At least he has Psycho Cut, so I guess he's not totally hopeless.  He's a decent level as well, so...that's something, I guess.  He'll be going to the box for the time being.  Right now, it's time to fight off the members of Kukui's Cuck Club.  I hear they're a violent bunch.  They're willing to do anything to get on Kukui's good side, even killing and stealing just to earn their boss's favor.  There's only room for one person who will rule with an iron fist in this region, and that's me.  It also turns out that Kukui planned ahead and blocked the fast path, so we'll just have to go into the cave and bust some heads.  Let's go.

So Mount Lanakila had almost zero trainers in the original game.  You still fought Gladion at the beginning, and then you had one battle at the very end.  Not the case this time thanks to Kukui's Cuck Club.  This place can easily be considered the real Victory Road of this game.  Lots of annoying trainers, tons of things and obstacles to get past, and useful items littered about.  In fact, the first dude you run into had a Scyther and managed to kill Shades because I chose not to heal just as he went for an X-Scissor and killed him.  Because I have nothing leveled to about Level 53 or so in my PC, I have to do the rest of Mount Lanakila with the five mons I have left.  The trainers around here are no pushovers, and there's no Lillie to heal you to full every ten minutes this time.  You're actually on your own for once.  But, we'll press on towards conquest!

Although, upon getting past four Black Belts in two double battles, we arrive at...a large crater?  And inside is Necrozma!?  Is he here to suck up the light again?  Well, to be honest, it actually doesn't matter.  Necrozma is a totally optional encounter, but since it's a legendary, I will not be catching it or using it at all.  He can stay there and think about what he's done.  Meanwhile, in this place, you have the chance to not only finally get the Ice Beam TM, but also the Icium Z.  Unlike with the Flyinium Z, no random person will come and show you the pose for it.  Your character just somehow knows it all of a sudden.  But this is the final type Z-Crystal in the entire game outside of Pokemon specific ones.  Anyway, with those goodies aside, let's bring down the rest of the Cuck Club and get to the top.

So after a long double battle with a master and apprentice, we're finally at another elevator.  Going up it brings us to the summit of Mount Lanakila, where we have a Pokemon Center.  This Pokemon Center right here has the move relearner.  Yes, you seriously have to play basically the entire main story just to have access to the move relearner.  Take this chance to heal up, buy your items, and go grind if you need it, because all that remains now is the Elite Four.

And now, time for the hardest part.  Making a team that can overcome the Elite Four.  Who will be a part of the conquest team?  Well, there's only one way to find out.  Next time will be the final episode of Ultra Calamity, where we achieve the goal we've been working so hard to reach.  Grinding is going to be a pain, but it has to be done.  So, until next time.

Archived