Ultra Calamity: A Pokemon Ultra Moon Nuzlocke - Episode 15: Ultra Beasts

Due to the nature of how this and most of Episode 16 are written, I'm posting them here instead of the same place as the other 14 episodes...because yeah.  The run is finished so the remaining episodes will be released over time because I chose to do postgame.  Without further delay, let's begin.

Three days had passed since the crowning of Alola's new champion, Ruby.  Ever since her victory over Hau, challengers who had completed their island challenges had been making their way up Mount Lanakila to challenge her almost endlessly.  Along with the seemingly endless flow of trainers, the voice in Ruby's head that was guiding her along her adventure was suddenly gone, leaving the young trainer to figure things out on her own.  While she could tell, without question, that something weird was going on, she was far too exhausted to think it over.

After another long day of taking challenges from trainers who managed to defeat the Elite Four, Ruby walked into to her room, threw off her hat, and lied down on her bed.

"Being the champion is a lot harder than I thought.  When it's not challengers, it's problems popping up all over the region.  Why is all of this the work of just the champion?" Ruby said to herself.  She let out a sigh and turned to face the ceiling.

"It's going to be another long day tomorrow.  I guess all I can do is hope less people will come to challenge the Elite Four," Ruby added before she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Meanwhile, standing alone at the summit of the Alter of the Moone was a black haired boy carrying a suitcase in his hand.  He smiled and took off the sunglasses he was wearing, looking towards the Ultra Wormhole with his cold, grey eyes.

"That Kukui was a fool.  I had a feeling he would fail to destroy our target.  At least he managed to get me the tool I need for my backup plan," the boy said to himself, setting his suitcase down and taking out what looked like a remote.

"At least our other problem has been contained for the time being, and Kukui no longer has any memory of me or my plans.  Now, "Champion" Ruby, let's see how you fare against an Ultra Beast the likes you've never seen before.  I will crush your hope and drown this region in shadows," the boy added, letting out a loud laugh as he pressed a button on his remote.  A beam of blue shot into the Ultra Wormhole, as if it were in search of something.

Early the next morning, Ruby slowly got out of bed and made her way out of her room.  She didn't have much time before she heard the front door open and Hau stepped into the house.

"Please, not right now..." Ruby mumbled.

"A-lo-la!" Hau called out.  Ruby let out a sigh and shook her head.

"If it's not trainers every twenty minutes, it's this.  Can't I just have one day of peace and quiet?" Ruby said mostly to herself while Hau was talking to her mom's Meowth.  Slowly, she made her way over just as Hau turned his attention to her.

"Oh, by the way.  There were some pretty interesting people looking for you, too, Ruby.  So, come on, let's get out there!  The Champion of Alola doesn't get to just stay inside all day!" Hau said before heading outside.

"I'd rather stay inside all day than go back up to that cold mountain and take challenges all day long.  If I knew being the Champion would be this rough, I would've let Hau win," Ruby said until something came to her mind.

'But...why do I get this bad feeling that something horrible would happen if I did let him win?' Ruby thought.  She remembered the voice in her head going on about Kukui doing something in another version of Alola, but at the time, she had only assumed it couldn't be true.  For the time being, Ruby decided to forget about it and focus on what Hau said as she returned to her room to get ready.

After taking the time to get herself ready, Ruby made her way outside to find Hau along with Phyco and Soliera.

"Hello, Ruby.  Congratulations on becoming Alola's first Champion," Soliera said to Ruby after she closed the door and walked down the stairs.

"Oh...thanks," Ruby simply answered.

"I heard the battle against Hau to decide the Champion was quite the spectacle," Soliera added.  While Ruby wanted to say that something about the whole thing felt unusual, she instead chose to keep her mouth shut and listen to what the Ultra Recon Squad members had to say.

"So, Champion, as they call you, would you be so kind as to give us your assistance?" Phyco asked.

"Assistance?  What kind of assistance?" Ruby questioned.

"Ultra Beasts have appeared on Poni Island.  Somehow, they managed come through the Ultra Wormhole at the alter," Soliera explained.

"But that's not right.  The last time Ultra Beasts came through wormholes, it was because of Necrozma.  Something weird is going on around here," Ruby pointed out.

"Yes, and at the same time, we are no match for these beasts.  That is why we request your assistance, Champion," Pycho said.

"Me and Decidueye are gonna go, too!" Hau said.

"We were planning on heading over immediately.  Would you care to come along?" Pycho continued.  Ruby took a few moments to think it over before she shook her head.

"If we're going to be dealing with Ultra Beasts, I'll need a few moments to get ready," Ruby replied.  Pycho and Soliera looked at each other for a moment, then back to Ruby.

"Very well.  We will meet you beyond the Ancient Poni Path," Pycho said.  The two Ultra Recon Squad members did their usual strange version of waving or whatever it was and started walking away along with Hau, leaving Ruby by herself.  She let out a sigh and looked up at the sky.

'More Ultra Beasts?  What's even going on here in Alola?' Ruby thought, looking ahead towards the nearby Pokemon Center.

"Well...I better go and get ready.  If that weird jellyfish Ultra Beast or Necrozma are any indication, these new Ultra Beasts won't be so easy to bring down," Ruby said while she walked towards the Pokemon Center, making a mental list of how many Hyper Potions she may need to buy in order to be ready.

After a trip to the Pokemon Center to get one of her Pokemon from the PC along with getting some more potions, Ruby used her Ride Pager to Charizard Glide to Poni Breaker Coast.  From what she remembered the last time she was on Poni Island, a man was blocking the way deeper into the island, telling her to return when she became a champion.  On her way over, she spotted Hau talking to the woman from the Aether Foundation, Wicke.

'It's that woman from Aether Paradise.  What is she doing here?' Ruby thought to herself while she walked through the tall grass  and made her way over to the two.

"Ruby!  Over here!" Hau called out.  Once Ruby reached Hau and Wicke, she was warned of the Ultra Beasts running wild in Poni Grove.

"So I guess this whole thing wasn't some excuse to get me away from the league..." Ruby mumbled to herself.

"My young friend Ruby.  Congratulations on becoming Champion.  I heard you and Master Hau will be looking into the mysteries of the Ultra Beasts, is that right?" Wicke said.

"Yeah, we have it covered.  If there's a disaster involving the Ultra Beasts, it's up to the Champion to put a stop to it, right?" Ruby replied.

Wicke smiled a bit.  "I will support you however I can.  I've brought you both a little something," Wicke said, pulling a couple of Big Malasadas out of the bag she was carrying and handing one to each of the kids.

"Oh...thanks.  I'll be sure to eat it later," Ruby replied, trying her best to hide her disappointment.

"Young Master Gladion also left something with me for you.  It is Type: Null," Wicke said, causing Ruby to take a surprised step back.

"A Type: Null?  But why?" Ruby asked, deciding to put that thought on hold when something else came to mind.

'Normally, that voice in my head tells me what nickname I'll give my new Pokemon.  It's still gone, so...what do I name this Type: Null?' Ruby wondered.  She walked around in a circle for a few moments, playing with her hair as she thought.  It took her a few moments before a name came to mind.

"I'll call it Gladion," Ruby said, accepting the Poke Ball from Wicke and putting it in her bag along with the rest of her Poke Balls.  Once she was all set, she looked past Wicke at the area up ahead.

"So they're up ahead?  The Ultra Beasts, I mean," Ruby asked.

"Yes, but before you go, I have something else for you," Wicke replied, searching through her bag again.

'There's more?' Ruby wondered shortly before Wicke thrusted a stack of discs into Ruby's arms.

"You'll need these to change the type of Type: Null's evolution, Silvally," Wicke said with a smile.

"Oh, thanks.  I'll have to thank Gladion when he comes back," Ruby said while she dumped the discs on the ground and started putting them into her bag one at a time.

"The Ultra Recon Squad is already waiting for you in Poni Grove.  You should go and join them when you're ready," Wicke said, closing her bag and starting to walk away.

"Ruby, I'm going to go on ahead," Hau said, turning away from Ruby and heading north.  Once Ruby had finished putting away the discs given to her by Wicke, she looked towards the grove.

'Well, here goes something...' she thought to herself and made her way into Poni Grove.

Stepping through the large, grassy space, Ruby made her way over to where Phyco and Soliera were waiting along with Hau.

"Thank you very much for coming, the Ultra Beast, now called Stakataka, are lost and wandering in Poni Grove," Soliera explained.

'If they're just lost, then why did you even call me here?  Couldn't you just have Hau take care of this?  There's probably some kind of catch, right?' Ruby wondered.

"It is my guess that they are distraught...  They most likely will attack anything they see," Phyco added.

'And there's the catch,' Ruby thought before Soliera walked over to her and handed her several Beast Balls.

"And here are some Beast Balls.  Normally, you would have to buy these at Aether Paradise, but they were kind enough to give some to us," Soliera said.

"So we're going to catch these Ultra Beasts?" Ruby asked.

"We leave that to you two.  All we wish for is that the Stakataka be able to live peacefully," Soliera answered.

"We have learned from what happened with Necrozma.  We must not try to control these creatures but focus on protecting them.  It would put both ourselves and the Stakataka at ease if you would capture them," Phycho said. 

"Whatever floats your boat, pal," Ruby mumbled.

"Sounds good to me!  C'mon, Ruby!  Let's go help the Stakataka!"

"Hau, we don't even know what these things-" Ruby tried to say, but Hau had alread run off towards the tall grass.

"Stakataka!  Come out, come out, wherever you are!" Hau called out.

'I don't think I'll ever understand him,' Ruby thought, turning away from Hau towards the tall grass straight ahead of her.

'I really hope that these Ultra Beasts aren't as dangerous as Necrozma was.  When I fought that thing, it didn't just make my Pokemon faint.  It...killed them.  It hasn't even just been Necrozma.  All throughout my island challenge, my Pokemon have been dying instead of fainting...but why isn't it happening to anyone else?' Ruby thought to herself until she had realized she walked right into the tall grass.  An unfamiliar cry pushed her out of her thoughts and turned her attention towards something up ahead.  Ruby slowly approached the unfamiliar cry only for a being made of dark-gray, square stoned lifeforms stacked together like a tower with a leg extending from each corner.

Ruby fell back in surprise when the beast shot out of the grass.  "T-this must be it," Ruby said, digging through her bag for one of her Poke Balls in a hurry.

"Master Derp, I choose you!" Ruby called out after she got her hands on one of her Poke Balls and throwing it up into the air.  The ball opened up and Master Derp, her Slowbro that had been with her for most of her island challenge emerged in a flash of light.  Master Derp absently stared at the Ultra Beast in front of him, as if he had no idea where he was or what was going on.

"Alright, Master Derp, go and-" Ruby was about to say until she noticed a strange red aura begin to cover the Stakataka.

'It's just like with that jellyfish and Necrozma.  I better be careful.  This thing might have a trick up it's sleeve,' Ruby thought.

"Master Derp, use Ice Beam!" Ruby called out.  For a moment, Master Derp turned to face her with his usual absentminded expression.  After a moment, he turned back towards the Ultra Beast and opened it's mouth while a light blue ball began to form in front of it.  He fired off light blue beams at the Stakataka, but the attack didn't seem to have much of an effect.  The beast shook off Master Derp's attack easily while it's eyes turned red and it's body became surrounded by a white aura.  It charged right at Master Derp and slammed into him, pushing the Slowbro back a bit.  As always, Master Derp didn't seem very bothered by it.

"Ok, that didn't work.  Let's try a Psychic.  Don't go too overboard, Master Derp.  We're trying to catch it, not make it faint," Ruby said.  Master Derp gave a delayed cry of agreement and his eyes began to glow light blue while his intended target became outlined in light blue.  Master Derp slowly lifted up Stakataka using it's Psychic, sweat running down his forehead due to the Ultra Beast's weight.  The most Master Derp could do was push the Stakataka back a little bit before it came charging in with another Iron Head.  Unlike before, however, the Ultra Beast's attack was a bit weaker than before.

"I think we've got it, Master Derp.  Go for one more Ice Beam and I'll try the Beast Ball after that," Ruby said while her Pokemon followed her command and fired off another beam of ice.  Master Derp ended up taking a third Iron Head, but the constant assault didn't concern him at all.  Sometimes, Ruby wondered if anything bothered her Slowbro, but she decided not to think about it and pulled a Beast Ball out of her bag.

"Alright, here goes something!" Ruby said, tossing the ball at the Ultra Beast.  The Stakataka was taken into the ball and the Beast Ball itself landed on the ground.  Ruby held her breath as the ball shook once.  She took a step forward after the second shake, and with the third, she was convinced that it would break out.  When the ball stopped shaking and confirmed that the Stakataka was caught, she let out a sigh of relief.

"That wasn't so bad.  Good work, Master Derp.  Return for now," Ruby said while she walked over to the Beast Ball.  Master Derp only turned his head in confusion before being returned to his Poke Ball.

"That's one down.  I wonder what I should name this thing," Ruby said to herself, shaking her head.

'I can think of a name later.  I wonder how Hau is doing.  He may be a decent trainer, but can he really stand up to an Ultra Beast on his own?' Ruby thought.

"Ruby!  Over here!" Hau called out.  Ruby put the ball in her bag when she heard Hau's call and rejoined him and the Ultra Recon Squad at the center of the grove.

"That Stakataka was too strong!  I was nowhere even close to catching it!" Hau said.

'Why am I not surprised?' Ruby wondered.

"No matter!  It will likely keep a low profile now and won't attack other Pokemon for some time.  We can use this time to analyze the data we gathered and, with the help of the Aether Foundation, hopefully capture it," Phyco explained.

"Yes...  It seems there are still some Stakataka wandering about," Soliera added.

"There's more of them?  And here I thought this was going to be a short task," Ruby mumbled.

"Gotcha!  I'll be sure to capture one this time and hand it over to the Ultra Recon Squad!" Hau said before running back into the tall grass.

"Stakataka, whe-e-ere are you?" Ruby heard Hau call out.  She shook her head and made her way back into the tall grass.

'I guess I can use the same strategy as last time.  I still wonder why these Ultra Beasts are even here of all places,' Ruby thought, wandering around in the grass until another Stakataka decided to show itself.

Relying on the same strategy with Master Derp, Ruby was able to easily catch herself a second Stakataka.

'If Hau managed to get one of them, this whole mess should hopefully be cleared up,' Ruby thought as she rejoined Hau and the Ultra Recon Squad once again.

"We received the Stakataka Hau was able to capture," Soliera said.

"Together with the Aether Foundation, we should be able to gather useful data in order to protect the Ultra Beasts," Phyco said.

"So you won't need me anymore, right?" Ruby quietly asked.

"I expected no less from the two who competed for the championship.  You've helped us resolve a very delicate situation.  We thank you," Phyco added, completely ignoring what Ruby said.

"We take our leave now.  Until we meet again..." Soliera said.  The two did their usual weird hand motions and walked away, leaving Ruby alone with Hau.

"Those were some epic battles!  Decidueye had a good time, too!  C'mon Ruby.  Let's head home," Hau said.

"I would, but I have to take on challengers at the league today.  Sorry, but you go on ahead," Ruby said.

"Oh, alright.  I'll see you later, then," Hau said with his usual smile and ran off.  Ruby looked back towards the grove where the Stakataka wandered around and crossed her arms.

'Why are all these things suddenly happening?  The voice in my head dissapeared, these Ultra Beasts suddenly appeared, and my Pokemon are dying.  I thought things would be normal when we moved to Alola.  I guess it's never easy,' Ruby thought, shaking her head while she turned around and started to walk away.  Once Ruby was gone, the black haired boy stepped out of his hiding place in the shadows.

"I'm a bit surprised.  Luckily, those Ultra Beasts made for a good distraction.  No matter, for my real plan should be going into action soon enough.  I hope you're ready, Champion of Alola, and you, the one from the outside world guiding her along," the boy said to himself, laughing a bit to himself.

"No need to be a spectator in the game any longer.  If he fails, then so be it.  I must begin planning the next stage," the boy continued, laughing loudly as his body began to fade into darkness.

Archived