What was your hardest pill to swallow?

4 hours ago, Ravenmarie323 said:

Mine is:

-as a person with adhd i had to learn to be exta quiet and make as little noise as possible so i dont annoy everyone around me

-As a bigger person i was taught to take up as little space as possible To not inconvienence those i share space with. 

-I was taught as a person who wore their heart on their sleeve to not bother everyone around me with my needs. 

-As a person with bipolar i was taught by society to bottle ALL of my emotions so i wasnt a problem for anyone else to try to handle my emotions...

Today this hit really hard. We were taking cans to turn them in. I pressed myself into the car door and tried not to touch the bags of cans so i didnt make them crinkle.....

Each of them... hits so close to home.

When I was in 5th grade, I used to have this teacher who would smack my legs with a stick, every time he would see my legs shaking. I never understood why he would take such great offense to that. I could never explain it to him that I didn't do it on purpose and I had no clue what adhd was at the time. And to my bad luck our seats were organized merit-wise. I was pretty much forced to sit on the very first row. I was so sick and tired of that man I intentionally got bad grades on some subjects just so I could sit on the back rows just so my legs wouldn't be swollen blue every day.

I used to be so insecure about traveling with anyone, even my closest of friends. People always made a point of either me eating too much, or taking too much space in the car or killing the moods with my humor or emotions. It took some time to come to terms with those 'flaws' but when I did, I learned to do things alone. It didn't matter anymore if I was going to a restaurant alone, if a friend wasn't coming to a tour, or to a party I arranged or whatever. I made newer friends, temporary but still and it somehow straightened things out with the people who had oh so many complaints about me. I realized sometimes we just gotta show the plain old middle finger to some people and move on. When they'll see we are doing better than them without them, they will come crawling back.

• 1 month later...

For me the hardest pill that sometimes no matter how hard you love someone and no matter how hard you would try to protect them, sometimes you can't, and all you can do is to give them hugs.

The other hard pill was that your children chose their own path which may be completely different from what you wanted, that they may chose things which you think are harmful for them, but you cannot stop them.

For the lighter tone, the hard pill was that I am not as good writer (in my native language) as I thought 😄 and I needed years of practice until I could be satisfied with myself.

I have had to swallow many hard pills but the one in recent years was with my MiL. I learned that sometimes, in order to move on, you need to become the villain in a toxic person's story. It is a painful pill to take, especially when you are usually the one on the receiving end of abuse and have been nothing but kind. 

Archived