The Spiritmaster's Fate: Prologue - The Harrowing

The time has come once again...for original writing that totally isn't a nuzlocke.  So, unlike Red Moon Nightmare, I have progress on this one, but it's still very much a work in progress.  Any feedback or opinions on how it is or what I can improve on would be greatly appreciated.  Whether this prologue has nothing to do with the main story's events or not...well, I'll leave that to you, the reader, to figure out.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

One hundred years have passed since that dreadful day. The day the Gate of Darkness was opened, unleashing the powers of darkness onto our world. All because of one human who chose to go against the ruling made by the masters of the worlds of humans and Spirits. The opening of that gate changed him and made him the very first Dark Spiritmaster. That day became known to history as The Harrowing. Over time, that name has was forgotten. The public know of the change in the world as The Great Disaster. The near eradication of our world, and the split between the human and Spirit worlds.

Spirits are still able to come to our world, even with the worlds separated the way they are. As Spiritmasters, we are their partners. Our powers can only reach their max potential together. One is next to nothing without the other. That is the way this world has worked for hundreds of years. With darkness infesting our world, the order we once knew has begun to change. This has led to the making of the Faction of Light.

November 3rd, 11:15 AM: Faction of Light Main HQ - 100 Years after The Harrowing

"This brings us to our next order of business," a tall man standing in the center of a large room stated, pointing to an electronic screen. Over three hundred people were seated in the meeting hall, each of them with their own thoughts on the situation.

"Our battle with the darkness has lasted without end for one hundred years. We had thought that shutting down the source of the problem would bring peace back to the world. It has taken us a long time, but we have finally received new information," the man started, taking out a remote and hitting a button to make a picture of a person appear on the large screen.

"This is the Spirit known in our database as Stein. We have recently discovered evidence connecting Stein to the original Dark Spiritmaster, the cause of The Harrowing. This new evidence proves, without question, that this Spirit has a connection with the disaster's beginning. If any of you find this Spirit, you are to take care of him. The sooner we can erase this menace from the world, the sooner we can work towards rebuilding the way to the Spirit World," the man explained, pressing another button on the remote to make the picture on the screen disappear.

"That will be all. You are all dismissed," the man at the front of the room finally finished. He watched as the room full of people began standing up and walking out of the room, having their own discussions among themselves.

"Another hour in that room and I would've gone insane. What do you think, Chris?" a man asked the guy he was walking next to even though he was lost in thought.

"You would think the council would be more concerned about the series of Spiritmaster murders that have sprung up over the past several months. They seem more concerned about this Dark Spirit that may be connected to that day. It's quite odd, don't you think, Desmond?" Chris replied after staying silent for a few moments.

"Yeah, I guess. We don't have any leads on who this killer is, though. In any case, we should keep our eyes out for this Stein guy," Desmond replied while the two men walked outside and made their way to a white limousine where a young, pale boy stood waiting at the door.

"Grim, you didn't have to wait outside. Spirits are allowed to attend the Faction of Light meetings," Desmond said to the boy, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"My apologies, sir. I do not feel very safe in large crowds," the boy answered, opening up the door for the two men to enter the vehicle. Grim followed the two once they got in, closing the door and taking a seat next to Desmond.

The two men talked about a few things while the limo drove away from the headquarters. Grim looked out the window while Chris and Desmond had their discussion, watching the scenery like a curious child who didn't get out much. He took a look up at the morning sky and saw what looked like a shooting star. The fact that there were shooting stars during the day bothered him a bit, but he didn't want to bother Chris and Desmond with questions.

"Desmond, Grim, we got our clearance. I should've told you earlier, but the police are finally done investigating that crash site and I got the call during the meeting," Chris said, handing a few files to Desmond. The man read through the files, taking note of the police's notes and information and smiling a bit.

"So it's a saucer crash site, huh? This whole thing seems a bit odd, don't you think?" Desmond asked.

"It is. The police couldn't even get into the thing. That's where we come in. It's not official business, but there's bound to be some secrets in there to make it official business," Chris replied, taking the files from Desmond and putting them in a suitcase.

"There's something fishy about all of this," Desmond grumbled.

"You are right. With a case like this, you would think the Grand Council would've had an investigation started right after it began. It's not normal for them to ignore something this big," Chris replied with a nod.

"Exactly," grunted Desmond, arms crossed over his chest. He turned his head towards the window, suspicion glinting in his eyes as he watched the scenery pass by. "Have you had any new visions? One that might shed some light on all of this?"

"I wish there was. It's been a few months since the last one," Chris said with a sigh.

"The same one you've been seeing a lot of lately?"

"Yes. Three Spiritmasters who will come together and stop the upcoming disasters. At the moment, we can only hope they will be enough. The vision was not very clear."

"They normally never are until it's too late. If the Grand Council isn't going to step in, we may have to take action. We can't put too much stock in that vision right now," Desmond pointed out.

Chris clenched his fists. "Let's hope it doesn't need to come to that."

Archived