The Obliging Wench Tavern - OOC Chat

I mean I suppose I might but would it really be difficult on Ecchi?
I feel like its possible to just make an area for the guild hub while keeping the adventures to their respective areas (making different areas for whatever adventures people are decided to join in on instead of one area for all of it unless its a "main quest") while the guild hub (or associated areas) might not require rolls so might work like standard.

I think just the actual play is the difficulty so that would likely have to happen on discord or however rolls are being tracked.

Edited by AsBloodTurnsEverCold

Hm... Why just not make it work like westmarches, where is one general setting and system, but instead of one GM splitting one brain on like 5 parties, 5 characters in each, why not instead do more like that there is ine setting and system, with multiple GMs, each working on one group at a time, or at least as much they can handle at once. So in your case, as a one GM, you could work on maybe like 2 parties at once, advancing their story, etc, and maybe write notes the other GM could read from, while you work on other parties.

Maybe, jts honestly up to you as a GM, tho it would be both interesting and easy for GM to let players think, of how PCs meet and what is their goal, for them selves, because it will very likely make story start more organically, than "You all met at the tavern" cliche or "Yall just wanna complete same adventurer's guild quest" thing, nothing personal against them, but its just thag they usually done formulaically and its not interesting anymore. Maybe one PC is a scammer, pretending to sell artifacts, while other is chasing him to return the money, but the scammer lost the money. Or maybe one PC is some magical entity that has to kill off other PC that has a curse, but doesnt want to, so the first PC just waits for cursed PC to die of other reason.

Edited by Rob4ix

Oh! I wouldnt want to START the campaign that way. I would hope to find a stable core starting group and have them FOUND this "adventurers guild" and have an overarching story that these various quests all contribute towards as time goes on. Of course that initial set up will take awhile but once its done it gives this group longevity and removes the pressure to perform. 

I already have something in mind for the 1st session depending on what kind of characters we end up with 😏

12 minutes ago, Ceberskie said:

Oh! I wouldnt want to START the campaign that way. I would hope to find a stable core starting group and have them FOUND this "adventurers guild" and have an overarching story that these various quests all contribute towards as time goes on. Of course that initial set up will take awhile but once its done it gives this group longevity and removes the pressure to perform. 

I already have something in mind for the 1st session depending on what kind of characters we end up with 😏

... Plz share some details bcuz i am excited to play my japanise-themed smart and flashy vulpine dancer :))))

Also, understandable if you want to have a stable starter for a group, so it eases the work for you, it was just a bit of a suggestion, just so it is more fun for the party to think what goofy ways party could stick together and still make sense, anyway, i am really excited to know what is gonna be prepared!

The starting position? that'll depend on a few things that are character dependant such as where youre starting geographically. If you want an east asian inspired character that'll be a bit I havent added to the Lorepedia yet. 

But you can message me what you generally want and I will pass what I have already written to inform your character

On 13/08/2024 at 13:34, Ceberskie said:

Totally missed that post ty! I can get behind this though I do want to impose certain limitations on certain kinds of characters I definitely like the idea of building the distinctions to suit the characters people want to make as opposed to just making a fuck all big list (which is what I was trying to do.) 

Free form Distinctions is a lot easier for the GM. Just say that everyone has to work with the GM to make sure their concept fits within your world.

From there you can offer SFX for each Distinction that are available to "purchase" with XP or a Growth Pool, whichever you're using. The SFX don't need to be created up front. You can just ask the player, what do you want to be able to do, then create a SFX with that ability, but make sure to give it a cost.

SFX are basically a combination of a cost and a benefit. The standard Hinder SFX for all distinctions has the cost of “use the distinction as a d4” with the benefit of “earn a PP.” 

Example Costs

• Spend a PP (very common)
  • Step down a beneficial die (usually an attributes, skill, or asset)
  • Step up a non-beneficial die (usually a complication)
  • Choose to do or introduce something risky/ill-advised/complicated (“When you walk right into a volatile situation and start causing trouble…”)
  • Create a d8 complication
  • Shut down a trait set (the trait set can’t be used until restored)

Example Benefits

• Earn a PP
  • Add a d6 to the dice pool
  • Step up a beneficial die (usually a specialty or asset, like “step up Pistols”)
  • Double a beneficial die (usually a specialty or asset, like “double Pistols”)
  • Step down a non-beneficial die (usually a complication)
  • Introduce a non-mechanical story detail (“Hey, I think I know that guy’s brother...”)
  • Rename a complication (“I’m not Sickened, I’m Angry”)
  • Reroll a single die
  • Create a d8 asset for the rest of the scene

Some SFX may switch out the cost for a different sort of triggering condition. This can include rolling a heroic success, or some roleplaying-based triggering effect.

SFX often combine both a cost and a triggering condition, especially if the benefit is broader or more potent than usual. In some cases, an SFX may include a narrative condition that explains when and how it’s used to give context to the SFX.

Stepping Up, Stepping Down, Rerolling, and Doubling

SFX use these dice tricks a lot, so here’s a summary of what these actually mean.

• Stepping up means increasing the size of a die by one step, i.e. a d6 to a d8, or a d10 to a d12.
  • Stepping down means decreasing the size of a die by one step, i.e. a d8 to a d6, or a d12 to a d10.
  • Rerolling means rolling a die or dice again, ignoring the previous result and using the new result.
  • Doubling a die means adding another die of the same size to the dice pool before the dice are rolled.

Aside from rerolling, most SFX tricks affect the unrolled dice in the pool, although SFX that call for stepping up or stepping down an effect die obviously take place after an effect die is chosen.

Good SFX make it unambiguous when an effect takes place, usually after a specific trigger and before the total is declared or effect dice are put into play.

The Logic of SFX

Because SFX are used to break the rules or provide additional ways to earn and spend PP, create assets, or alter die rolls, they’re a mechanical way to represent special abilities, tricks, or maneuvers your character has knowledge of. SFX are best when they allow you to differentiate your character from other characters with otherwise similar traits, and to flesh out trait sets that form the core of a character.

When you use SFX with distinctions, they let you further define what a character with that distinction can do beyond just getting the d8 in a dice pool. When you use them with power sets or skills, they allow you to attach fun and interesting tricks to those traits without having to create narrow or specific traits. And they provide an ideal means of tracking character growth, especially when they’re used in pre-built character archetypes; distinctions can come with three or more SFX that the player can unlock over time and experience.

Six Standard SFX

SFX are the fiddliest part of Cortex Prime and take some effort to get right for some players and GMs, so it might help to look at the examples of Power SFX in the Prime Lists chapter. In a pinch, however, use one of the following SFX that game designer Leonard Balsera uses when creating new distinctions.

• The Exchange: Step up or double one useful die for the scene but step down one other die in exchange until you do a recovery action.
  • The Price: Step up or double one useful die for the scene or take a d8 asset for the scene (choose one benefit here, not both), but also take a d8 complication.
  • The Swap: Spend a PP to use a different die than would normally be appropriate for a given action, based on your distinction.
  • The Edit: Spend a PP to declare a beneficial thing to be true in the fiction, based on your distinction.
  • The Folly: Earn a PP when you choose to do something detrimental related to the distinction.
  • The Shutdown: Earn a PP when you declare that, due to appropriate circumstances based on your distinction, you have lost access to one or more of  your attributes/skills/roles/etc. for the scene and cannot use it for any actions.
  • Love 1

One has to admit when they are overwhelmed and out of their league and I will say I am very lost. It's interesting to read about all of this, though. I just didn't expect something like this when I came to pay a visit. I will probably watch and see how people play this instead. I am not complaining, anyhow. I guess D&D fans learned these systems long ago and they're used to it. I kind of want to see how it plays out in action. (If such a thing is doable in ED.) I think this may be something that's interesting to watch, if only to see how this system works.

Edited by Warning

Most D&D fans I know refuse to learn a new system lol

But there are a few people who enjoy new rules and how they help you tell stories differently. I personally prefer a system designed as a narrative engine, like Cortex, versus a system designed as a combat engine, like D&D. If the mechanics don't support the kind of story I want to tell, then it's the wrong system for me.

• Love 2

28 minutes ago, Warning said:

One has to admit when they are overwhelmed and out of their league and I will say I am very lost. It's interesting to read about all of this, though. I just didn't expect something like this when I came to pay a visit. I will probably watch and see how people play this instead. I am not complaining, anyhow. I guess D&D fans learned these systems long ago and they're used to it. I kind of want to see how it plays out in action. (If such a thing is doable in ED.) I think this may be something that's interesting to watch, if only to see how this system works.

I wouldn't worry sp much about it.. this system is made to allow people to design their own rpg. What you're seeing isn't the rules they're possible rules that are being discussed as potential ways to play. We can design a character with rules that are simple and straight forward if that's what you prefer and I can give wierd mechanics to those who want them. That's the beauty of it. I am ALSO extremely overwhelmed trying to put a functioning system together haha but the actual usage of it is pretty simple I promise. ❤️

I do really like this system though which steps off the mechanical requirements in favor of story telling which is why I as a DnD player am willing to try and my hand around what is honestly a pretty badly written guide haha. Reddit and this chat have been very good to me 

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, IsabellaRose said:

Free form Distinctions is a lot easier for the GM. Just say that everyone has to work with the GM to make sure their concept fits within your world.

From there you can offer SFX for each Distinction that are available to "purchase" with XP or a Growth Pool, whichever you're using. The SFX don't need to be created up front. You can just ask the player, what do you want to be able to do, then create a SFX with that ability, but make sure to give it a cost.

SFX are basically a combination of a cost and a benefit. The standard Hinder SFX for all distinctions has the cost of “use the distinction as a d4” with the benefit of “earn a PP.” 

Example Costs

• Spend a PP (very common)
  • Step down a beneficial die (usually an attributes, skill, or asset)
  • Step up a non-beneficial die (usually a complication)
  • Choose to do or introduce something risky/ill-advised/complicated (“When you walk right into a volatile situation and start causing trouble…”)
  • Create a d8 complication
  • Shut down a trait set (the trait set can’t be used until restored)

Example Benefits

• Earn a PP
  • Add a d6 to the dice pool
  • Step up a beneficial die (usually a specialty or asset, like “step up Pistols”)
  • Double a beneficial die (usually a specialty or asset, like “double Pistols”)
  • Step down a non-beneficial die (usually a complication)
  • Introduce a non-mechanical story detail (“Hey, I think I know that guy’s brother...”)
  • Rename a complication (“I’m not Sickened, I’m Angry”)
  • Reroll a single die
  • Create a d8 asset for the rest of the scene

Some SFX may switch out the cost for a different sort of triggering condition. This can include rolling a heroic success, or some roleplaying-based triggering effect.

SFX often combine both a cost and a triggering condition, especially if the benefit is broader or more potent than usual. In some cases, an SFX may include a narrative condition that explains when and how it’s used to give context to the SFX.

Stepping Up, Stepping Down, Rerolling, and Doubling

SFX use these dice tricks a lot, so here’s a summary of what these actually mean.

• Stepping up means increasing the size of a die by one step, i.e. a d6 to a d8, or a d10 to a d12.
  • Stepping down means decreasing the size of a die by one step, i.e. a d8 to a d6, or a d12 to a d10.
  • Rerolling means rolling a die or dice again, ignoring the previous result and using the new result.
  • Doubling a die means adding another die of the same size to the dice pool before the dice are rolled.

Aside from rerolling, most SFX tricks affect the unrolled dice in the pool, although SFX that call for stepping up or stepping down an effect die obviously take place after an effect die is chosen.

Good SFX make it unambiguous when an effect takes place, usually after a specific trigger and before the total is declared or effect dice are put into play.

The Logic of SFX

Because SFX are used to break the rules or provide additional ways to earn and spend PP, create assets, or alter die rolls, they’re a mechanical way to represent special abilities, tricks, or maneuvers your character has knowledge of. SFX are best when they allow you to differentiate your character from other characters with otherwise similar traits, and to flesh out trait sets that form the core of a character.

When you use SFX with distinctions, they let you further define what a character with that distinction can do beyond just getting the d8 in a dice pool. When you use them with power sets or skills, they allow you to attach fun and interesting tricks to those traits without having to create narrow or specific traits. And they provide an ideal means of tracking character growth, especially when they’re used in pre-built character archetypes; distinctions can come with three or more SFX that the player can unlock over time and experience.

Six Standard SFX

SFX are the fiddliest part of Cortex Prime and take some effort to get right for some players and GMs, so it might help to look at the examples of Power SFX in the Prime Lists chapter. In a pinch, however, use one of the following SFX that game designer Leonard Balsera uses when creating new distinctions.

• The Exchange: Step up or double one useful die for the scene but step down one other die in exchange until you do a recovery action.
  • The Price: Step up or double one useful die for the scene or take a d8 asset for the scene (choose one benefit here, not both), but also take a d8 complication.
  • The Swap: Spend a PP to use a different die than would normally be appropriate for a given action, based on your distinction.
  • The Edit: Spend a PP to declare a beneficial thing to be true in the fiction, based on your distinction.
  • The Folly: Earn a PP when you choose to do something detrimental related to the distinction.
  • The Shutdown: Earn a PP when you declare that, due to appropriate circumstances based on your distinction, you have lost access to one or more of  your attributes/skills/roles/etc. for the scene and cannot use it for any actions.

Ill say that i think making distinctions om your own using modular stuff sounds cool, but i also think that players should be able to do something unique in case they want to make their gameplay sligjtly more unique, what if player wants to add  some sort of tokens to the mix? Like a dude with gunlance create tokens with cardtridge types in a drum? Like black dahlia from skullgirls. Or gather multiple resources for their other SFX? Like keeping balance of two elements to then gain two types of benefits at once? Obv it would complicate things, but i mean i already brainstorm around stances/dances for my kitsune dancer, because it kinda her whole deal thag there are multiple styles of dance and id like to implement it to gameplay further than just charisma check, i wanna try making a whole SFX out of this

Edited by Rob4ix

1 hour ago, Rob4ix said:

Ill say that i think making distinctions om your own using modular stuff sounds cool, but i also think that players should be able to do something unique in case they want to make their gameplay sligjtly more unique, what if player wants to add  some sort of tokens to the mix? Like a dude with gunlance create tokens with cardtridge types in a drum? Like black dahlia from skullgirls. Or gather multiple resources for their other SFX? Like keeping balance of two elements to then gain two types of benefits at once? Obv it would complicate things, but i mean i already brainstorm around stances/dances for my kitsune dancer, because it kinda her whole deal thag there are multiple styles of dance and id like to implement it to gameplay further than just charisma check, i wanna try making a whole SFX out of this

The main thing is to keep it balanced. Cortex is designed so that you can play all kinds of characters without one of them being able to Superman every challenge while everyone else is barely able to escape a pursuer or hit an opponent.

Keep in mind that each SFX has a cost and a benefit. So if you had a hypnotic dance that made someone more susceptible to your influence/suggestions you could set it up as:

• SFX: Spend 1 PP to perform a hypnotic dance and tag one person with a d8 Hypnotized asset.

Then you'd roll a contest against them to influence them and you'd get to add that d8 to your dice pool when you roll.

But every SFX needs a cost and a benefit, and benefits are standardized so everyone is more or less the same power level.

9 minutes ago, IsabellaRose said:

The main thing is to keep it balanced. Cortex is designed so that you can play all kinds of characters without one of them being able to Superman every challenge while everyone else is barely able to escape a pursuer or hit an opponent.

Keep in mind that each SFX has a cost and a benefit. So if you had a hypnotic dance that made someone more susceptible to your influence/suggestions you could set it up as:

• SFX: Spend 1 PP to perform a hypnotic dance and tag one person with a d8 Hypnotized asset.

Then you'd roll a contest against them to influence them and you'd get to add that d8 to your dice pool when you roll.

But every SFX needs a cost and a benefit, and benefits are standardized so everyone is more or less the same power level.

Yeah i agree to that, i admit, alright, so basically now unique bullcrap with SFXs, but still i wonder what interesting could be done with SFXs if given a chance.

4 hours ago, Ceberskie said:

essentially traits that outline a set of skills and the SFX associated with them. 

Nevermind, i found out about those, and i think they are cool, tho i think maybe those will be start to complicate things for new players, i mean someone did mention alteadg that alot of DnD players are not willing to learn new systems and i personally met such person, so lets not add these to keep things simple, i know i said that i wanted some sort of special sfx, but now i realized i can just do the background and always hinder it to have plot points for all the dances and checks for mythology stuff

3 minutes ago, Rob4ix said:

Nevermind, i found out about those, and i think they are cool, tho i think maybe those will be start to complicate things for new players, i mean someone did mention alteadg that alot of DnD players are not willing to learn new systems and i personally met such person, so lets not add these to keep things simple, i know i said that i wanted some sort of special sfx, but now i realized i can just do the background and always hinder it to have plot points for all the dances and checks for mythology stuff

Based on the previous discussion we dont have to make vocations a mandatory thing. If you're starting as say a street urchin. You can have a set of common actions stealth, acrobatics, thievery, harm etc. However eventually you can specialize as your character develops INTO a dancer and have fancy new abilities to work with that make you specialized and more powerful. Thats another reason why I want to keep the player organization/group a more casual guild rather than a formal order or government with a strongly established hierarchy. You dont need to have a position of authority to have power and vice versa. You're just you doing what you do best.