The Advent of AI

I can't think of anything more random than bringing up AI in an ERP site so I figured it would fit.

With the ridiculous speed which AI has advanced in just the last few months since ChatGPT, Midjourney, AI Vtuber Neuro, etc. What sort of things do you all think will come to pass? Good or bad I would like to hear it.

With AI, we are seeing it integrated with difficult or complex software such as Unreal Engine and Unity, with these engines no longer being limited to just video games but also film the ease of use for these previously complex tools will allow many people who were previously unmotivated to have an much easier way in to expressing the ideas in their minds. This will also get a lot of flak from those who have dedicated the hours to become skilled at what they do, we see this already with AI art the many issues people have with it. We can see AI girlfriend apps popping up which may ease some level of stress on the user but will likely dissociate them with reality and it is only a matter of time before robots become so lifelike that they can satisfy sexual needs but what will this do to human relationships and reproduction. AI will likely launch us into the next phase of humanity, if any, faster than ever before, will we be able to handle such a rapid transition despite how adaptable we may be.

I figure this could be a topic for people to chew on for quite some time and I am very interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on it, especially since those who enjoy writing tend to be avid explorers of the mind and the unknown.

I agree Ai is super interesting! That's totally why I like the cyberpunk genre's for writing just dabbling on android technology etc.

Using Ai for animation is a very good hack to remove the time consuming part of making animations look realistic. I'm specifically talking about 3D animation, but the same technology can be used for 2D by interpreting a group of images and making a good guess on the next frame. The way we work now, a lead animator does key frames, and workers do the in between frames. I think Ai is a good extension once it has enough reference material to build these in between frames which can be tedious, but instead feeding it to an Ai.

Even if it's not a perfect recreation, I imagine maybe a few handful of frames might look off, and there you can have an assistant redraw them and modify, but the bulk of the work can be done with Ai with human direction for art, style, pacing etc..

If the chatting algorithm is really really good, then having Ai for therapy might also be a thing. I can picture a world where some people prefer to talk to an Ai rather than a human and feel more transparent or not judged. If not for therapy, then having an Ai as a journal or diary application.. You talk to the Ai, and it records what you talk about, asks you questions, and gets more insight. Think about it, journaling or using a diary is very one sided and limited to your own perspective, but with Ai, you might uncover things you didn't notice or took for granted. For example: An Ai might compliment how brave you were about something you thought was just normal in your life.

Ai for feedback. We live in a world where feedback is very useful, but sometimes we're worried that feedback on our art, might give credit to someone else. Example, if someone gave me feedback on my story saying we should have jetpacks instead of skateboards, then it feels like the credit should go to the person who suggested the change for why the story is a hit. Copyright is like very crazy now more than ever. I think Ai feedback is a good way to get feedback in a neutral context. Ai does not own copyright as of now, so anything you pull from Ai should be fine to implement, it's just like a tool. As long as you're using an Ai that doesn't specifically claim to be private or something.

The other good selling point of Ai feedback, is Ai can look through data kind of like google, and check to see if your story is sounding cliche, or historically inaccurate. Example if you explain to it how your mecha's fly, and the Ai compares your fake flying versus science experiments in the past, the Ai can suggest research that goes closer to reality and link those specific articles. 

It's kinda scary how fast it's growing.....But it does make Art more fun since it handles the tedious things...A lot of photos people take that mean the world to them get ruined because there's specs of random dust on people's hair, or photo bomb somewhere in the background. Adobe's use of Ai has helped seamlessly erase those things from the photos and make them ready to post without those random hiccups. 

I feel like AI of anything has its pros and its cons. In a vaccum, we can certainly say that AI is a step forward in a general progress of human society, and (e)rp topics are included in this. Writing, art, these things were bound to have become generated by an intelligence at some point. It's actually more surprising to me that this hadn't been done sooner, with the surge of easier coding languages such as Python, allowing anyone who puts the effort in it to be able to code great things, and then advance with other languages, etc.

Now, with the techno mumo jumbo out of the way, benefits and cons (related to) (e)rp:

Pros: I think the biggest pro of the AI surge is that you can actively make some of your ideas a reality, even if you lack the capability to do so. I know that some talents like writing or drawing, take time to learn, and no is perfect at it from the get go. However, the arts are one of those things were you do need to have an innate talent to do it. From a personal standpoint, I have been told (and now am starting to believe), that I am generally good at writing, acting, and singing (thank you years of DnD, image caption writing, stage improv, and most importantly, Imagine Dragons). However, for anything visual based (as in drawing, 3D art, animation, etc.) I might as well have two broken left-hands...and I'm right-handed...so programs like Stable Diffusion or Novel AI have helped me a lot, especially when I do my campaigns and I want a ref for a certain character but nothing online gives me that vibe. So I can write out my idea, and the art is made for me. Likewise, I'm sure many have trouble with writing, where programs like ChatGPT help a lot, as well as helping with questions and all the shebang.

Cons: The clear con here is ofc the supposed waste of talent of those who have actually spent all this time practicing these arts to then have an AI that just does it for them to near perfection. While that is a clear case, I would not say it hurts the present generation, rather the future. The art we see from artists today is so good, and so original in its own style that even AI has yet to replicate it, and it also lacks that soul. I would rather say that future generations will stop pursuing art because, well why write or draw something when you have an AI that can do it for you? There is also the quite harmful thing of AI artists just doing one generation of art and trying to sell that, unlike those who actually draw, toiling for hours for one piece, or even those who also do AI art, but go through 40+ generations of the same image (each image takes from 15min to 1h more or less mind you), fine-tuning it to actually get it perfect, instead of a one and done.

At the end of it all, I feel like if used correctly, and used for non-profit, I feel like we should be glad of the progress of AI and use it to our advantage. That's just me though, I'm a random digital wolf-boy on this site, what the hell do I know? X3

Got a job interview in a bit but I will certainly be responding

There is a myriad of pros and cons to AI. The possibilities are endless in the realm of art, the main issues come as cute_bro mentioned being copyright and how we will deal with art from the original author being included, the amount included and how to tell.

At least in the realm of art, it can essentially make every user a director and the rather than needing other people to do the tasks for you while you maintain the vision.

Shadowrites, since you know of keyframes and such do use any video editing software or game engines?

4 hours ago, Zieg said:

Shadowrites, since you know of keyframes and such do use any video editing software or game engines?

Mhmm, my whole life is around Adobe, usually Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, or 3D Blender.

In high school I dabbled with C# and Unity, but I fell off the coding train. But Ai has a really good procedural workflow, which is useful for creating game environments that look hand built, or organic looking game levels with paths as a guide.

On 17/04/2023 at 11:53, shadowwrites said:

Well now, that is very cool. I am dabbling in to some things myself and I can't help but wonder how much of it will be obsolete by the time I actually finish learning it.

It will be interesting to see how things will proceed with all of these AI tools to improve workflow. What took years will take months, what took months will take days or weeks. With VR we may even find people spending more time that they already are in these virtual realms. Likewise in reality we will likely be able to train AI inside of these virtual spaces on how to behave and react in reality, pretty fascinating stuff.

Anything in particular we all looking forward to or fear seeing with tech in the future? Demolition man style cyber sex? Sexbots? Cyberpunk style augmentation of the human body? 

Honestly, this tech route of Civilization we are going down can get creepy and degenerate, how far down the rabbit hole will it go, just a random thought, no question attached.

Archived