Privacy issues

I am speaking on behalf of a friend on here who wishes for their visits to remain private. They have activated the privacy option, but from what I understand, people can still spot them on the users list:

because the list of people that have logged on recently will always show people even if they’re not online. It doesn’t show me as online when I am, and doesn’t put me on the list of online dreamers either. But if I am online, whenever I load a page, I go right back to the top of the “recently online” list and that’s how people know I’m around.

They, and I am sure others, would appreciate if their online status be 100% hidden.

• Community Administrator
30 minutes ago, ETValkyr said:

They, and I am sure others, would appreciate if their online status be 100% hidden.

It absolutely can be, because I use this feature myself.

image.png

If you - or your friend go to: https://ecchidreams.com/settings/account-security/

You should be able to find "Online Status" under Privacy, which reads: "If your online status is visible, then other users can see that you are currently online in any online lists, as well as the page you are currently viewing on the community." You should be able to set it to invisible. 

Although I have an interesting problem in that I can't seem to make myself visible again. Not entirely sure as to why, could just be a me problem. 

I think what the guys means is that you can essentially use the 'Who was online' in the last 24 hours section as a makeshift way of telling who's online right now, or even when they were online even if their status is set to hidden.

For example, since I'm logged in right now, this is how the list shows for me:

spacer.png

As you can see, I'm on the top left because I'm logged in right now, and it generally shows all users who are logged in in said zone, regardless of their status being hidden or not. Basically, you can tell if someone is online or not solely based on that, is the assumption. I could be wrong?

I also circled Tema here on the list. You said you were invisible, right? But I was able to find you very efficiently based on how long ago you made the post responding to this topic. Essentially you got 'pushed down' the list from when you were last active. Like if the post was made 59 mins ago, the person right before you was most likely active something like '57-58' and so forth.

Basically, the users who have been active most recently (basically, online) will always show on the top left regardless of their privacy status or being hidden.

Does that help clarify things? I'm hoping that's what is being talked about here.

Edited by Flea
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Novaer said:

It absolutely can be, because I use this feature myself.

image.png

If you - or your friend go to: https://ecchidreams.com/settings/account-security/

You should be able to find "Online Status" under Privacy, which reads: "If your online status is visible, then other users can see that you are currently online in any online lists, as well as the page you are currently viewing on the community." You should be able to set it to invisible. 

Although I have an interesting problem in that I can't seem to make myself visible again. Not entirely sure as to why, could just be a me problem. 

15 minutes ago, Flea said:

I think what the guys means is that you can essentially use the 'Who was online' in the last 24 hours section as a makeshift way of telling who's online right now, or even when they were online even if their status is set to hidden.

spacer.png

As you can see, I'm on the top left because I'm logged in right now, and it generally shows all users who are logged in in said zone, regardless of their status being hidden or not. Basically, you can tell if someone is online or not solely based on that, is the assumption. I could be wrong?

I also circled Tema here on the list. You said you were invisible, right? But I was able to find you very efficiently based on how long ago you made the post responding to this topic. Essentially you got 'pushed down' the list from when you were last active. Like if the post was made 59 mins ago, the person right before you was most likely active something like '57-58' and so forth.

Basically, the users who have been active most recently (basically, online) will always show on the top left regardless of their privacy status or being hidden.

Does that help clarify things? I'm hoping that's what is being talked about here.

Yes, this is exactly what they mean. Their status is also set to hidden, but people can still use the "Who was online" feature to see if they have been on Ecchi recently. It doesn't give exact timing but it does show if you've been online in the last 24 hours, which is more than enough for some people to bother you. (Edit: if you check the status of nearby users who aren't private, you can also figure out roughly how long ago they were online, down to hours or even minutes, depending on circumstances.)

Here is another screenshot, also with Tema showing in the list, along with the user profile popup that shows the little green blob without an online time, which is what it looks like if you've set your online status to private.

bGb0ek0.png

Edited by ETValkyr
  • Thanks 1

I added this to my other post as well, but by looking at the nearby profiles who don't have their status hidden, you can also figure out how long ago someone was online, sometimes with an accuracy of a few minutes. For example: Tema is online right now, since both the people next to him also are online.

1 hour ago, Flea said:

spacer.png

Ah, I understand.

"If your online status is set to visible, other users can see that you are currently online in various online lists, as well as the specific page you are viewing within the community." I assume, like most reasonable individuals such as yourselves, that if your online status is not visible, the opposite would hold true, and I fully agree with that perspective. It is evident that this behaviour is a clear bug.

I will investigate the issue further, but for now, I can simply disable that module entirely since it is not functioning as intended. However, if any more of this information is inadvertently revealed, we might need to consider limitations imposed by the IPS system. It seems that, like other features coded by IPS (Such as the Ignore System), the hide online talks big but lacks the necessary enforcement to be effective. Something we are most certainly working on with the software we hope will completely replace this.

• Like 1

Edit: I've found the problem and I whilst the bug seems to be fixed, the Dreamers now display in a list, and I've kept it hidden for now until I can get that to loop correctly.

image.png

I appreciate you @ETValkyr for bringing this to my attention, and @Flea for helping clarify. Unfortunately I should be working on another project at the moment, but I have tagged this to fix properly next week.

Fingers crossed, I can do it next week and it doesn't turn out to be a deeper problem than I anticipate. (Possible foreshadowing) 

Edited by Tema
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/05/2023 at 16:04, Novaer said:

Fingers crossed, I can do it next week and it doesn't turn out to be a deeper problem than I anticipate. (Possible foreshadowing) 

Yeah the looping is a deeper problem than I anticipated. It should be visible now but only as a text based link.