OOC Discussion

Happy to see an OoC Topic! 

I admit the other night when I saw the club, I quickly clicked to join without looking at the content, so I was a little concerned it wouldn't have been a game with anime faceclaims or something I might be able to get into without a lot of work, but fortunately everything you've listed so far has put those worries to waste.

I noticed that we're all mostly playing prisoners on the island, and the notion that most staff have seemingly left the prison without a shift change, should I take that to mean there isn't any kind of real staff (security guard, warden, ect) on-site to facilitate characters being made for those roles? I ask mostly for the sake of clarity, as I intend to play just a prisoner role for now.

Most of the game seems to be set within and around the prison, and that's fine by me. If the desire is there and it isn't too obstructive/destructive, are we as players allowed to affect changes within the facility with your permission?

I'll try to come up with more questions over time, but for now I definitely am stoked by what I see so far. ^^

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Gardsorm said:

Happy to see an OoC Topic! 

I admit the other night when I saw the club, I quickly clicked to join without looking at the content, so I was a little concerned it wouldn't have been a game with anime faceclaims or something I might be able to get into without a lot of work, but fortunately everything you've listed so far has put those worries to waste.

I noticed that we're all mostly playing prisoners on the island, and the notion that most staff have seemingly left the prison without a shift change, should I take that to mean there isn't any kind of real staff (security guard, warden, ect) on-site to facilitate characters being made for those roles? I ask mostly for the sake of clarity, as I intend to play just a prisoner role for now.

Most of the game seems to be set within and around the prison, and that's fine by me. If the desire is there and it isn't too obstructive/destructive, are we as players allowed to affect changes within the facility with your permission?

I'll try to come up with more questions over time, but for now I definitely am stoked by what I see so far. ^^

We are prisoners on the island. At the moment people can play only inmates on the prison, and I won't recommend waiting for getting to play something else. As far as you know there is no one else but the prisoners on the island.

Yes. Players can change the setting with their actions. Although I'm hoping players won't be too destructive, because if you go and break/burn your prison building, it's ruined and other players won't be able to use it either. But if people are dedicated on destroying everything they find, they can do so and then live with the consequences of their own actions : p 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That's fine by me then, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other character possibilities to be played here. I would have been more thrilled to play a prisoner anyway because I feel more adventure and trouble potential from prisoners anyway. I can think of a face I wouldn't mind throwing into this setting as a twist from his usual antics...

I don't have plans on being too destructive I think, although the things I have planned for his history might not make that seem evident at first glance. 

Let's see, other questions... I noticed the potential for more fantasy races. Is there a strict limit to how 'fantasy' a character can be? Human with animal features? Outright flurries? Fantasy races like slimes and other entities like that? 

Less story based and more personal, are we expecting characters to know one another soon, or is that solely for same genders due to prison block arrangements/being far removed from the opposite gender?

Also, hello again, @Warning : ) Pleasantly surprised to see you here. xD

• Love 1

I kinda want to know as well. I am a very furry driven person (even though I do have humans) but this would be quite a fun thing to be able to use them. The rules did say "humanoid" so I think it works. As long as the whole prisoner and backstories fit. I like to develop characters well so having a decent furry character probably would not be an issue unless the rules are solid against them. I'd find a fitting prisoner if they're fine, anyhow. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The general rule on what race is allowed is that it's something that doesn't require special arrangements. So not too small, like 15 cm tall, or too big, like 5 meters tall. No slimes, shadows or the like. Furries are completely fine though : )

Characters of same gender can know each other, or not. That depends from the players of the characters. However characters who are different genders won't know each other, so they have to actually meet in game for that. Unless they have known each other from time before the island. Also some crime cases have gained that much attention that people might know well known criminals based on what's told on news and such.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hey I saw this club and it seems fairly fun! I have a few possible ideas just looking around but the one I came up with that I like the best is a former staff member turned prisoner after an incident, ending up being one of the only "staff" adjacent people on the island.

Why do I want to do this? Personally I really like the idea of starting off as a character that directly or indirectly other prisoners will dislike or possibly have a grudge against ^-^

• Love 1
  • Woohoo 1
  • Haha 1

Godspeed to you, Warning. I'm probably going to be a bit late and unoriginal with what I plan to make, but I plan to use this as a chance to play an old face in a different capacity. The setting gives me a chance to do something different from my usual with them. >.>

• Love 1

5 hours ago, DreamsnThings said:

Hey I saw this club and it seems fairly fun! I have a few possible ideas just looking around but the one I came up with that I like the best is a former staff member turned prisoner after an incident, ending up being one of the only "staff" adjacent people on the island.

Why do I want to do this? Personally I really like the idea of starting off as a character that directly or indirectly other prisoners will dislike or possibly have a grudge against ^-^

Welcome @DreamsnThings

Making ex-staff member is fine. Just make them so they lost their position because of the incident minimum one year ago.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask : )

On other news, I added Album thingy on the club so people can put their sheets there once they have been accepted.

• Love 1

Hrm... 1 year ago might be abit much for the idea I had in mind...

I think ill instead go with the route of "wardens pet" someone who was trying to get in the wardens good graces to be released (earlier or at all) who in the process did not have the best relationship with other inmates, assuming that works?

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, DreamsnThings said:

Hrm... 1 year ago might be abit much for the idea I had in mind...

I think ill instead go with the route of "wardens pet" someone who was trying to get in the wardens good graces to be released (earlier or at all) who in the process did not have the best relationship with other inmates, assuming that works?

Yep. That works : )

• Love 1

Thank you for the warm welcome @Kissa!

I still have a bit of reading up to do on the club, but I thought your idea for the setting was very interesting, so I really wanted to give it a shot! I haven't tried RPing in a club since I actually started writing several years ago, so I do hope the club is 'beginner' friendly 😊

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, diogora said:

Thank you for the warm welcome @Kissa!

I still have a bit of reading up to do on the club, but I thought your idea for the setting was very interesting, so I really wanted to give it a shot! I haven't tried RPing in a club since I actually started writing several years ago, so I do hope the club is 'beginner' friendly 😊

I'm still quite fresh as a GM and this is my first time running a club on this site, so we can both be bit of newbies : p 

Most of rpers are friendly people. Just need to communicate well with them to avoid misunderstandings that might cause a conflict. 

• Love 1

I may have found a few different choices but still looking so I don't rush. I think my only issue right now is with the weaknesses. I know we all have weaknesses of sorts but I always have troubles thinking about them before I actually roleplay. (I am bad at making character sheets). It's especially worse when it's not an elemental weakness but instead a physical or psychological weakness. I have no idea what to do with that, to be honest.

Edited by Warning
  • Love 1

As I'm currently reading through everything in the club, a question has popped up that I'd like to know if anyone could clear up. ^^

Falkcrest Corporation provides all prisoners black and white striped prison uniforms and anti-magic collars, which are worn around the neck. 

On the night that the electricity goes down, do the anti-magic collars deactivate and detach? Or will the prisoners need to find ways to remove these collars if they'd like to use magic?

• Love 1

@Warning

I found it unusually hard to come up with the weaknesses this time too, because usually chars are supposed to be more or less fighters, but this is different thing this time. With setting where characters are 'fighting heroes' kinda people it's easy to go with 'can't do melee' or 'can't do spells' or something similar, but here it's expected we can't do anything special if it's not on the sheet. 

So I went to google stuff for inspiration. Link to sire about character strengths and weaknesses

On that site there is a comparision of strengths and weaknesses, showing how they are basically two sides of the same coin. Perhaps what your char is good at helps coming up with some ideas for weaknesses? 

@diogora

The collars aren't connected to the grid, so they continue working as intended after the electricity is gone. So you people have to find a way to get them off if you want to use magic  : )

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Kissa said:

@Warning

but here it's expected we can't do anything special if it's not on the sheet.

Hmm... This is where I'm afraid of being limited. I know our characters can't be "good at everything", of course. The issue is that I don't know if I can think of specific weaknesses that would remain relevant through actual character development. Having certain personalities (as the character strengths and weaknesses sheet seems to imply) is one thing but what they can or can't do could possibly change as they evolve, right?

If I take the sheet, I have one character that could be seen as arrogant and impulsive. The personality itself would only only make her sound mean and maybe reckless but otherwise...? I usually go by the character's look to figure what they might be good at and what vibe the give but I don't know what I can call strengths in weaknesses in the context of a character sheet. (Even in school, I always had issues with those. XD)

Now, even if a character was arrogant and impulsive, they could soften up later and lose those weaknesses. Am I missing something or am I overthinking? I'm trying to understand. x.x

Edited by Warning
  • Love 1

I see your problem. It's completely fine if a character changes during the game play. It's character development. I know for sure I don't have same opinions and my personality has changed during the years compared to what it was when I was a younger, so I see now reason why a roleplay character couldn't change too. Some weaknesses, like missing a body part or being mute, are permanent, but personality or view on things can change. That's one reason why I'm letting people post their sheets themselves after they have been approved. Then if there is need for editing, just ask me and then it can be edited. 

So it's okay to have weaknesses that can disappear completely during the roleplay. It's likely as the game goes forward you figure out something else that can replace the old weakness when it's gone. 

I hope that helps : ) 

• Love 1

Well, replacing the old weaknesses would just be personality developing and that's IF they develop bad personalities, wouldn't it? As for physical handicaps, I understand they're permanent. Not quite sure if I can find such "issues" for all characters I'd have in mind but I suppose anyway that if a criminal is imprisoned for so long, it's clear they're not innocent angels anyway. Not sure what I can do for weaknesses but I'll try to write their traits, good and bad, as I see them without forcing anything. The one character I've wanted to try the "mute" style with would not fit for this story but that would be an interesting trait IF I ever find a character fitting for it. I will see. :3

• Love 1