Once a month, a local comic book store holds Yu-Gi-Oh championship tournaments, with prizes and fierce competition. Back when Toys R Us was still big, I was in the Duelist League. Of course, that was long ago. But I wanted to get back into the game. Of course, I had some studying to do, since my prior knowledge stopped after Synchro Summoning. But I learned quickly, and all I needed to do was put together a deck. After some debating, I decided on using the Kuriboh archetype. What follows is the Kuriboh deck I took to tournaments.

Monsters:

• X2 Winged Kuriboh
  • X1 Winged Kuriboh LV10
  • X3 Kuriboh
  • X1 Sphere Kuriboh
  • X1 Kuribon
  • X1 Kuribandit
  • X1 Scapeghost
  • X2 Sangan
  • X1 Witch Of The Black Forest
  • X1 Terrifying Toddler Of Torment
  • X1 Chaos Necromancer
  • X1 Dark Necrofear
  • X1 Darkness Neosphere
  • X1 Archlord Kristya
  • X1 Slate Warrior
  • X1 Relinquished

Spells:

• X2 Transcendent Wings
  • X2 Multiply
  • X1 Detonate
  • X1 The Flute Of Summoning Kuriboh
  • X2 Scapegoat
  • X1 The Fang Of Critias
  • X1 Black Illusion Ritual
  • X1 Pot Of Duality
  • X1 Monster Reborn
  • X2 United We Stand

Traps:

• X1 Crush Card Virus
  • X1 Jar Of Avarice
  • X1 Mirror Force
  • X1 Needle Ceiling
  • X1 Storming Mirror Force
  • X2 Waking The Dragon

Extra Deck:

• X1 Link Spider
  • X1 Proxy Dragon
  • X1 Decode Talker
  • X1 Knightmare Cerberus
  • X1 Downerd Magician
  • X1 Baby Tiragon
  • X1 Number 13: Embodiment Of Crime
  • X1 Number 31: Embodiment Of Punishment
  • X1 Doom Virus Dragon

Side Deck:

• X1 Black Luster Soldier
  • X1 Black Luster Ritual
  • X1 Mystical Space Typhoon
  • X1 United We Stand
  • X1 Where Arf Thou?
  • X1 Waking The Dragon

Of course, Kuriboh and Winged Kuriboh are the main focus. The entire archetype plays defensively, save for Kuribandit. Their effects tend to negate damage, or stop attacks.

Kuriboh: Discard from your hand to negate damage from a single attack.

Winged Kuriboh: When destroyed, you take no damage from battles for 1 turn.

Sphere Kuriboh: Discard from your hand to switch an attacker into Defence Position. While in the Graveyard, can be used as material in a Ritual Summon.

Kuribon: When attacked, negate damage from the attack. The opponent gains Life Points equal to the Attack Points of the attacker, and Kuribon returns to your hand.

As for Kuribandit, he tributes himself at the end of the turn I summoned him. In exchange, I take 5 cards from the top of my deck. From those cards, I can keep 1 Spell Card OR Trap Card, but the other 4 cards go to the Graveyard. The cost seems steep, especially since I can't use the card I get right away, since Kuribandit's ability doesn't activate at the end of the turn. But a few of my big plays depend on Spells or Traps to work. And that's a great way to search them. As for the others, that's where Archlord Kristya, Dark Necrofear, Jar Of Avarice, and Chaos Necromancer come in. Kristya can be Special Summoned without any tributes - 2 are normally required - if I have exactly 4 Fairy monsters in my Graveyard. Then I can return one of those monsters to my hand. Winged Kuriboh, Winged Kuriboh Lv. 10, Kuribon, and Kristya are Fairy monsters. Dark Necrofear can only be summoned by banishing 3 Fiend monsters in my Graveyard. Jar Of Avarice shuffles 5 cards from my Graveyard back into my deck, then allows me to draw a card. Great as a panic button if I send away something I need. Chaos Necromancer starts with 0 in both stats, but gains 300 Attack Points for every monster in my Graveyard. That adds up fast, and I destroyed a Blue-Eyes White Dragon with it.

Kuriboh have the defensive abilities they have to make up for their hideous stats. These fluffballs need protection of their own if you want them staying around. Enter the Mirror Force cards. Mirror Force destroys all opposing Attack Position monsters if one attacks, while Storming Mirror Force sends them back to the hand. Storming can be even better than destruction in some cases. Anything summoned from the Extra Deck returns there if an effect tries to send them to the hand. This means the opponent can't revive them with Monster Reborn, etc, and must fulfill their summoning conditions all over again.

Scapegoat summons 4 statless Tokens to the field. This works as a last-second ass saver, since being a Quick-Play Spell means I can use it on my opponent's turn. Plus, United We Stand adores it! UWS is an Equip Spell that gives a monster 800 Attack Points AND Defence Points for every monster you control. The sheer damage that card can do is a nightmare! Even with just 1 monster, a boost of 800 ATK is no small matter. Scapeghost is a monster version of Scapegoat. Multiply, which turns a Kuriboh into a field full of Kuriboh Tokens, is also a lovely compliment to UWS. Strength in numbers is a lesson your opponent will learn the hard way. But, if I had a gun to my head and was ordered to name my trump cards, I'd say that they're Winged Kuriboh Lv. 10, and the "Embodiment Of..." cards. Darkness Neosphere, able to be summoned during my opponent's turn as a 4,000 ATK "fuck you," is a close second.

Winged Kuriboh Lv. 10 can only be brought out with Transcendent Wings, at the cost of a Winged Kuriboh on the field and 2 cards from the hand. But damn if it isn't worth it. During the opponent's Battle Phase, Lv. 10 can take itself out, going out with a bang that not only sends all opposing Attack Position monsters to the Graveyard, but takes their combined ATK out of the opponent's Life Points! It requires some setup, sure. But, when it goes off, it fucks the opponent's day up big time. But what's more satisfying than wiping out your opponent's monsters AND LP at once? Forcing them to finish themself off! Embodiment Of Crime and Embodiment Of Punishment do exactly that. When they're both on the field at once, it's game over. At the cost of 1 Xyz Material, the following things happen.

1. EOC and EOP become immune to destruction for 1 turn.
  2.  All opposing monsters, for 1 turn, are forced into Attack Position.
  3. Those monsters MUST attack whichever Embodiment you discarded Material from.
  4. The opponent takes all damage from these attacks, instead of you.
  5. Most likely, you win.

This is a play that's difficult to pull off. But, as you can see, it RUINS the opponent. Since they're both Xyz Monsters, you need a Link Monster, like Decode Talker, to have them both out at once. Decode Talker only requires 3 Effect Monsters for its summon, so it isn't too hard to bring out.

Aside from Archlord Kristya, every single monster in this deck is searchable with Witch Of The Black Forest and/or Sangan. WOTBF searches a monster from the deck with 1,500 or less Defence Points on death, and adds it to the hand. Sangan is the same, but searches for 1,500 ATK instead of DEF. Monsters should be at your disposal when you need them, and those 2 cards help with that. Relinquished especially likes this, since it's otherwise difficult to have Relinquished and Black Illusion Ritual in your hand at once.

The rest of this deck is mostly full of either Fiend support(Slate Warrior, Flute Of Summoning Kuriboh), low level monster support(Baby Tiragon, Terrifying Toddler Of Torment, Link Spider), destruction(Needle Ceiling, Doom Virus Dragon), or easier summons(Proxy Dragon, Knightmare Cerberus, Waking The Dragon). And, of course, the deck staples of Monster Reborn and Pot Of Duality. But Detonate is worthy of an explanation. Multiply, like I said, turns Kuriboh into a bunch of Tokens. Detonate destroys Kuriboh and Kuriboh Tokens, and lets you destroy as many of your opponent's cards as Kuriboh/Tokens you lost. Phenomenal field clearing power.

Black Luster Soldier goes in my Side Deck because an ex-boyfriend gave me Black Luster Ritual years ago. We since lost touch, but I kept the card. ❤️ Mystical Space Typhoon isn't commonly used, now that Twin Twisters is a thing, but you never know. And Where Arf Thou is more low level support. Waking The Dragon is there because... Well, again, you never know. XD

I'm planning more decks for upcoming tournaments, but I'll never forget the shock caused when a deck full of cute chocolate puffs ruined a mighty dragon. ^_^

Archived