All the Pokemens

• Senior Staff

IWl4pKm.png

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Let's Go! Stormy Adventure Squad!

Before we continue with Blazing Adventure Squad, we're gonna switch things up with Stormy! Or, as the fan translation localizes it: Tempest!

UJ75sqC.png

Here is the splash screen for the localization. It's got some cute art!

hDXU4RE.png

As I mentioned before, these three games actually share save data, so you can load the same file between the three versions. We'll go over the advantages this can give you, but one of them is immediate. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying enough attention and skipped through the text boxes (I wasn't expecting anything special when I tested this feature out to make sure it would work smoothly on emulator). I'll try to get screenshots of it when I cover Light Adventure Squad next time. But I'm pretty sure one of the benefits was increased storage space at Kangaskhan Storage. Presumably to accomodate for the fact that you're storing items from three separate adventures.

TYoKCZv.png

Anyway, without further ado, let's jump right into the start of the second of three parallel adventures.

mUw57LX.png

MjQE2B7.png

Right away, it's very clear that this game is almost identical to Blazing Adventure Squad. The hub's name this time is Pokemon Beach rather than Pokemon Village, but the layout is exactly the same. In fact, the only notable difference so far is that two of the residents, Numel and Sneasel, have been replaced with Turtwig and Floatzel respectively.

P8xj0ty.png

Other than that, the intro of the game is exactly one-to-one with Blazing Adventure Squad, just with a new coat of paint for the beach theme.

vpyRczo.png

The first notable difference, however, is that, this time, Shuckle has disappeared into a dungeon called Dubious Hill rather than Dubious Forest.

6IMQyUj.png

And, as expected, we're picking from 9 pokemon. This time, we're choosing from pokemon that are predominently blue!

ukXCeJK.png

Following the logic from before, I decided to start with two pokemon we've never had a chance to start with in a Mystery Dungeon game before: Wooper and Azurill!

=============

mod_rw_194.png mod_rw_298.png

New Recruits

--------------

Muddy (Wooper F); Lv. 5

mod_rw_194.png

Item: None

Abilities: Damp, Water Absorb | Moves: Water Gun, Tail Whip, Mud Sport

---------------

Bubbles (Azurill M); Lv. 5

mod_rw_298.png

Abilities: Thick Fat, Huge Power | Moves: Splash, Charm, Bubble

Bubble is actually a special egg move, I've only realized just now. Azurill normally only knows Charm and Splash at Lv. 5. Clearly, they wanted this pokemon to be capable of actually fighting early on. However, this isn't STAB Bubble, so it may be lacking a bit.

===========

h8xG1c7.png

Anyway, once we've decided on our team, Slowking leads us to Dubious Hill. Of course, it's out the same way.

gk93YWj.png

Dubious Hill

Welcome to the Stormy Adventure Squad's first dungeon! Much like Dubious Forest, don't expect much in the way of danger here. It's another tutorial dungeon but, again, a new coat of paint and some new threats.

Items: PokeDollar.png Poke, Apple.png Apples, Apple.png Big Apples, Cheri.png Cheri, Oran.png Oran, and Pecha.png Pecha Berries, Seeds.png Blast, Seeds.png Heal, Seeds.png Reviver, and Seeds.png Stun Seeds, GeoPebble.png Geo Pebbles, BlueGummi.png Blue, GrassGummi.png Grass, OrangeGummi.png Orange, and WhiteGummi.png White Gummis, Medicine.png Max Elixirs, and an assortment of Orb.png Wonder Orbs.

While it's possible that Bulbapedia simply doesn't have as comprehensive info on this game (I've already found a White Gummi in this dungeon which isn't listed on Bulbapedia) as with the more popular Mystery Dungeon games, it seems these dungeons aren't quite as copy-pasted as I expected. The items listed here are different, at the very least. 

----------------

Dubious Hill [1F - 2F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_177.png Natu, mod_rw_187.png Hoppip

In addition to the items being different, there's only two pokemon on the lowest floors. But right away, this dungeon seems a bit more difficult than Blazing Adventure Squad's. Hoppip is actually resistant to our water attacks!

wPr2ybt.png

One thing I realized I didn't show off before was the full list of IQ Skills. Outside of Everlasting which prevents the pokemon from evolving when turned on, the default IQ Skills seem to be the same as in Explorers of Sky. Though I don't know exactly how IQ works in this game. If I had to guess, it's probably lifted straight from Explorers, but I have no way of knowing at the moment.

nCE23b1.png

On the second floor, I ran into a Cheri.png Cheri Berri, and here's a WhiteGummi.png White Gummi, too! This is proof there may be items available in these dungeons that I don't list, so keep your eyes peeled if you're playing along! I'll try to make it a point to screenshot as many different pokemon and items on each floor as I can.

------------------

Dubious Hill [3F - 4F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_177.png Natu, mod_rw_187.png Hoppip, mod_rw_238.png Smoochum, mod_rw_406.png Budew

Smoochum and Budew join on the third floor. Thankfully, this is low-level so that Smoochum isn't one of those terrifying Perish Song users we've dreaded throughout Explorers. Though these girls do take quite the beating, so you may want to tread carefully. Depending on your starter, Budew might be genuinely pretty scary to run into. It'll go down pretty easily, but its Absorb will be STAB and super-effective to Water-types, quad-effective to Muddy! Yikes! But let's not psyche ourselves out. It's still an early-game dungeon and there are always Geo Pebbles you can fall back on if nothing else. Besides, Azurill's Bubble can attack from a range! So it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid any hits. I don't mean to frighten anyone with this over-analysis, it's just interesting to me this game would start you out against a pokemon that has such an obvious surface-level advantage over you. But of course, it's low enough level that it's not likely to survive much at all either way. Even if it gets a hit off, it's not likely to get much out of it.

54XqgRr.png

On the fourth floor, Bubbles leveled up and learned Tail Whip!

-----------------

Dubious Hill [5F - 6F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_177.png Natu, mod_rw_187.png Hoppip, mod_rw_238.png Smoochum, mod_rw_406.png Budew, mod_rw_439.png Mime Jr.

Finally, for the last couple of floors, you might run into Mime Jr.! ...I didn't, though, so there's not much to say there.

============

e0Isopg.png

In the end, we find Shuckle all the same.

T2MGNQR.png

And that's the end of the dungeon! Nothing really special to talk about, but you really can't expect much out of tutorial dungeons. There's just one more of these and then maybe we'll start getting into more interesting stuff? Who's to say, really.

==============

xur13Bh.png

Of course, things play out all the same from here on out. We celebrate Shuckle's return, talk about the tasty food he was after, and then Slowking asks for us to start an Adventure Squad.

pAoI2Sl.png

And with that, Team Nature is established in the world of Storm!

YUa92O8.png

After being taught about the various facilities available at Pokemon Beach, we then unlock our second dungeon here: Lively Field! But next time, we've got just one more Adventure Squad to touch in on... see you soon for our introduction to Light Adventure Squad!

• Senior Staff

2WCMnpi.png

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Go For It! Light Adventure Squad

And today we're introducing the third and final of this trio of Mystery Dungeon Games: Light Adventure Squad!

gtrzo0b.png

This time, I actually caught the screen that displays when you link up new save data. And yeah, it turns out I wasn't missing much. I haven't actually gotten into any item or team management, but it seems like not only does storage space increase to accommodate the items from each game, but the pokemon you have recruited will also be shared between versions. This was one of the reasons I didn't really want to play these games one after another. I figured I'd end up with a really overpowered team from the end-game of Blazing Adventure Squad and I wouldn't really want to use any of the pokemon from Stormy or Light. This way, I can raise up pokemon from all three squads! Time will have to tell how exactly I sort all this out, though.

mDJuyBT.png

This game is set in Pokemon Meadow...

RofLPpU.png

Other than that, the story plays out the same. Though the variable residents this time are Glameow and Grumpig.

a3g2Owc.png

This time, Shuckle's gotten lost in Dubious Valley!

iGXGoUm.png

And then we have to choose from another set of starters! The link here is pretty straight-forward: They're all Yellow and/or electric types!

wtF3Fdg.png

I ultimately went with these two for my first expedition. Say hello to Chipper and Wish!

============

mod_rw_417.png mod_rw_175.png

Team Nature

-------------

Chipper (Pachirisu F); Lv. 5

mod_rw_417.png

Abilities: Run Away, Pickup | Moves: Growl, Bide, Quick Attack

If I'm being honest, I had no idea Pachirisu had Run Away. If I did, I probably wouldn't have selected her...

-------------

Wish (Togepi M); Lv. 5

mod_rw_175.png

Abilities: Hustle, Serene Grace | Moves: Growl, Charm, Peck

Peck is a special egg move since Togepi is another pokemon that lacks harming attacks early on.

===========

ICWT7Bw.png

Slowking leads us to the first dungeon as per usual and we make our way to Dubious Valley!

=============

5EMa5KP.png

Dubious Valley

Anybody else getting dejavu? Of course, we've never been here before, though!

Items: PokeDollar.png Poke, GeoPebble.png Geo Pebbles, Oran.png Oran, and Pecha.png Pecha Berries, Apple.png Apples, and Apple.png Big Apples, Medicine.png Max Elixirs, GrassGummi.png Grass, GreenGummi.png Green, and BrownGummi.png Brown Gummis, Seeds.png Heal, Seeds.png Stun, and Seeds.png Reviver Seeds, and some Orb.png Wonder Orbs.

I'll be honest, this dungeon actually proved to be a lot more difficult than the others, though I think it's mainly because of my starter choices. I didn't expect Pachirisu to be so fragile. I basically have to take advantage of Quick Attack's range to KO enemies without taking damage, and a miss or second pokemon can make things incredibly awkward. And then I found out the hard way that Pachirisu had Run Away when I tried to let Togepi take over and got ambushed from behind... Ugh, lots of terrible memories...

ZHhsjxa.png

When we faint, we wake up back at the entrance of the dungeon. Slowking feels sorry for us a bit, but gives us a quick pep talk and sends us right back in. This is the sort of thing that typically happens when you fail the first exploration in a Mystery Dungeon game. Honestly, though, I was kind of expecting this game to give you a chance to choose a different pair, but it seems, at least for now, you're committed to the pair you chose. Thankfully, since this is the first dungeon in the game, we really don't have anything to lose.

===========

Dubious Valley [B1F - B4F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_016.png Pidgey, mod_rw_046.png Paras, mod_rw_069.png Bellsprout, mod_rw_438.png Bonsly

PNQwOmW.png

There are two major factors that led to a lot of my failed runs. The first is just bad luck with pokemon spawns (as depicted here, for example). The other is the deceptive bulk of these enemies. It seems like every enemy takes one or two more hits than I expect to go down. And that's bad when dealing with things like Bellsprout's deceptively strong STAB Vine Whip. Bonsly resisting all of our attacks also didn't help much.

ZuSsUVJ.png

One thing I noticed while exploring today is that individual seeds seem to have different models in this game! Here is a Stun Seed, for example. There was another kind of seed in the previous screenshot, too, though I don't know what kind of seed that was just yet. Keeping track of what certain seeds look like might save you the headache of going after seeds in awkward positions.

0Tp2h2V.png

The biggest thing that helped me through to the end of the dungeon was Wish's Hustle ability which increases the damage he can deal at the cost of reduced accuracy. Unfortunately, having Hustle as the leader is where I quickly was made aware of Chipper's Run Away ability which is just as annoying here as it was in Explorers. Oh well. At least I was able to get another valuable lesson: Just like in the postgame in previous games, you don't get sent back home unless the current leader gets defeated. Since Wish here has a lot more bulk, he was the much safer choice.

zbzE8Ey.png

In the end, I was able to make it to Shuckle, saving him from Dubious Valley!

zEtSGA1.png

And that's that for this dungeon!

=============

wc2q7QF.png

E0gx7IM.png

And we all know how things play out from here. We return to the village with Shuckle, find out he was looking for the rumored tasty food, and Slowking encourages us to form an Adventure Squad! Now we have access to all the starters!

jw5EiMa.png

And in the end, we unlock our next destination for this game: Sparkling Field! But now I'm wondering if I should continue from here and swing like a pendulum back toward Blazing Adventure Squad, or if I should this going as a cycle and return to Blazing Adventure Squad next? I think I might continue straight into Sparkling Field next time. Things will flow better that way, I feel. See you soon!

• Senior Staff

jkEcTUc.png

We're continuing with our coverage of Adventure Squad! This time, I want to start off by showing what the save file looks like once all three games have been registered. It's all pretty straightforward stuff, but you have the logo for the Blazing, Stormy, and Light Adventure Squads: A flame, cyclone, and a beacon. These same icons appear in the logos of the games as well as as a constellation in the sky during the intro.

srz4cij.png

Now that we have an Adventure Squad formed, here is what the main menu looks like. It seems that Wonder Mail and Friend Rescue is now exclusively tied to an online service, meaning it's no longer accessible at all. It doesn't seem like there are any passwords at all, so we won't be able to utilize this if we ever find ourselves in trouble.

5wsgXZ5.png

Anyway, today is our first time progressing beyond the introduction to the game, so we're gonna take a moment to explore Pokemon Meadow.

CkJvj7o.png

This Bibarel here seems to get really drowsy and doses off on the regular... maybe he has narcolepsy? Maybe we should just leave him be...

kXKVLqP.png

Glameow here also seems to go out on adventures. But she admits her pace must not be quite fast enough at getting these jobs done to make enough of a dent in the board.

rAnQr2v.png

IZBxlo2.png

Chikorita and Rattata here explain to us that, indeed, evolution is not restricted in this game! You can evolve in dungeons! But Chikorita warns us that enemy pokemon can also evolve...

E2kUxwf.png

Grumpig seems to tease Farfetch'd a lot. In this interaction, the two share a back and forth. It seems Farfetch'd is a big gossip, though, so they might be a good source of information down the line...

6KgOgIU.png

Mn70VYW.png

FiBtWOj.png

WGA6mAx.png

atDwzk5.png

Over here is a sleeping Munchlax who seems to be dreaming about food.

bijMDZH.png

I do have plenty of food items in my inventory, but I don't see any way to give Munchlax any of them, so I'm guessing, at least for now, this is just flavor text...

2QVi2OB.png

This Politoed is kinda funny. He seems to mumble to himself some fairly rude things dismissing you as some nobody who fails to make an expression.

Ls5HxVY.png

And, of course, we can find SHuckle and his friends over here, happy to be reunited.

g97AK3l.png

Bf3QbkU.png

Over here on the east side, there appears to be a shop that'll open later, themed around Gastrodon. Curious what this'll be...?

aI5GVfk.png

Regardless, it's time to start covering the facilities! First up, we have the Kecleon Shop which appears to only have one of the Kecleon Bros. running it. Either the purple Kecleon will show up later, or he just isn't in this game. Regardless, there's only one Kecleon here.

O5A6luk.png

And his inventory seems pretty standard. But we don't really have much money to work with, so we can't really buy much of anything.

7bRG71B.png

And then there's Kangaskhan Storage where we can store items. If I'm understanding how this works right, items stored here can be withdrawn in any of the linked save files, much like in the Special Episodes in Explorers of Sky.

mqHKCze.png

A new feature here, though, is the Custom Set option which allows you to register your current inventory to store and withdraw those items easily all at once. It's actually a really cool feature I wish Explorers had! It could've saved a lot of time in setting up for every exploration.

Ol6JRXF.png

And then we have Duskull Bank. We don't have much money, but we may as well deposit what we have. There's nothing special going on here.

5T9Lar2.png

Finally, we can talk with Slowking to adjust our party.

B173BRR.png

And this is where we can choose from all our starters.

rCexv7p.png

The party I decided to go with ditched Pachirisu in favor of Pikachu who doesn't have Run Away to worry about.

============

mod_rw_025.png mod_rw_052.png mod_rw_175.png mod_rw_054.png

Team Nature (Light)

------------

Spark (Pikachu F); Lv. 5

mod_rw_025.png

Ability: Static | Moves: ThunderShock, Growl, Tail Whip

-------------

Shine (Meowth M); Lv. 5

mod_rw_052.png

Abilities: Pickup, Technician | Moves: Scratch, Growl

--------------

Wish (Togepi M); Lv. 7

mod_rw_175.png

Abilities: Hustle, Serene Grace | Moves: Charm, Growl, Peck, Metronome

--------------

Stars (Psyduck F); Lv. 5

mod_rw_054.png

Abilities: Damp, Cloud Nine | Moves: Water Sport, Scratch, Tail Whip

==========

xqm7qQP.png

Now let's finally turn our attention tot he Request Board. I probably don't need to explain this, it's the same as the Job Bulletin Board in Explorers. It doesn't look like there are outlaw jobs like in Explorers, so it's mostly just rescues and item hunts.

nkzRK0H.png

An annoying element of this, though, is that, without a second screen, you have to press A on the job to actually view the details, including the reward. Sometimes there can be important information hidden in this page that would make or break your willingness to accept the job.

Regardless, since we just unlocked Sparkling Field, let's get all the jobs set in that dungeon that we can! We can hold up to 8 jobs!

gkdPBpf.png

And once we're ready to go, we make our way to Sparkling Field from the exit to the Meadow.

============

irMklXP.png

Sparkling Field

This is our first "real" dungeon, in that it's the first time we're exploring with a full team! Unlike in Rescue Team or Explorers, you actually get quite a selection to choose from to make your team. So it feels a bit less like you have to take whatever the game gives you. Even still, most of these pokemon feel really lacking at Lv. 5. But hopefully it won't take too long for them to get their more useful attacks.

And this is also where it seems coverage of this game starts to fall apart. That's rough! I'll try to note all items that I stumble across going forward, but I can't guarantee a comprehensive list of items.

Items: PokeDollar.png Poke, Garments.png  Special Bands, Stick.png Wooden Spikes, Seeds.png Blast, Seeds.png Sleep, Seeds.png Warp, and Seeds.png X-Eye Seeds, ClearGummi.png Clear, PinkGummi.png Pink, and RedGummi.png Red Gummis, Medicine.png Max Elixir, TM.png Fire Blast, Orb.png Foe-Seal Orbs

Stick.png Wooden Spikes seem to be renamed Sticks from Explorers. Not technically a new item, but I figured I'd add a blurb here about it due to the name change.

Anyway, I had an awkward run this time where I ended up getting KO'd and losing pretty much everything useful, so I just reloaded my save after the run and started over. But here are some screenshots of the items I discovered my first attempt:

SlpnhRl.png

Here's a TM! You can't see it in the screenshot, but it's actually spinning in place which is kinda cool. I was surprised to pick this thing up and find out it had Fire Blast on it! It seems really early on to allow me to find a TM like that! I briefly considered teaching it to Wish, but I figured with the Hustle ability, this thing would be missing more often than landing any hits. Wish really needs high-accuracy attacks or attacks that can't miss.

7tMEQ38.png

Here's what the held items look like on the left part of the screen. They appear as golden scarves in this game. I wonder if their color changes depending on the version?

Fy2xd6m.png

Here's the Pink Gummi,

Y6o3hyF.png

And a Blast Seed, it's Brown.

Now, onto my real run:

---------------

Sparkling Field [1F - 11F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_056.png Mankey, mod_rw_081.png Magnemite, mod_rw_098.png Krabby, mod_rw_190.png Aipom, mod_rw_191.png Sunkern, mod_rw_209.png Snubbull, mod_rw_252.png Treecko, mod_rw_280.png Ralts, mod_rw_285.png Shroomish, mod_rw_343.png Baltoy

Before we get ahead of ourselves, let me talk about some problems I'm running into right now. This game definitely seems to be the most difficult of the three and that's partially because almost all of these pokemon resist Electric attacks and/or are strong against Normal types. Every Growl and Tail Whip is felt badly here. Magnemite in particular is especially scary because its Thundershock is strong and capable of paralyzing you. And most of my pokemon only know Scratch or some variation of it. It resists Pikachu's ThunderShock (which is also Pikachu's only harming move right now), so all I can really do to it is pray that Wish wants to cooperate and Magnitude will turn into attacks that will not only land, but do some sort of actual damage against these things. It's rough. Maybe bringing in pokemon from other playthroughs might not be such a bad idea...

Anyway, not only are these pokemon resistant, I don't think any of them go down to a single one of my strongest attacks, even with neutral damage. So I'm basically guaranteed to receive damage or a debuff at every encounter. Some of these pokemon take several turns to KO. There is something that makes this game a lot rougher than typical PMD and I'm not quite sure what it is just yet. Perhaps the low number of dungeons per game means the difficulty spike will be a lot steeper. Regardless, it's a bit embarrassing that I'm this far in and still getting walled by the easiest dungeons in the game... this might be a bit of a grindy game whether I like that idea or not...

ivS7kO5.png

Also, what Chikorita warned us about turned out to be true! Some bad luck against a Sunkern led to it KOing Stars and evolving! It turns out, enemies will evolve if they KO a pokemon that isn't your active leader. KOing the active leader leads to an instant game over (which is what happened my first attempt).

tvva7hr.png

I found a Red Gummi on the 5th floor.

vxlYDpi.png

Music: Dubious Forest

On the 6th floor, the tileset changes to this more forested layout. The music changes here as well.

VTjoddo.png

I found a Clear Gummi down here,

XjfKguX.png

I wound up rescuing PIdgey here!

WSkREjo.png

And on the way to the next dungeon, I stumbled across a scary sight: Yes, we're already running into traps! This time it was just a Warp Trap, which is a lot less devastating when you can freely switch your leaders around, but if Warp Traps are here, you know that means we've got all sorts of other traps to worry about, too. I can't list out all the traps you could potentially find, either, so be extra careful! One step could ruin your entire run!

EYKEBAY.png

On the 7th floor, I think this red seed here was an X-Eye Seed.

ZmUX7yM.png

Then, we rescued Paras.

dHFT1AQ.png

On the next floor, it was Bonsly's turn for rescue,

CFuVJhj.png

This Green seed here is a Warp Seed.

zJUMBfb.png

Finally, we found a requested Pecha Berry,

Z2vsjkT.png

And we rescued Bellsprout.

EOljojy.png

Finally, Shine learned both Bite and Fake Out during this adventure. Fake Out being an incredibly helpful asset as it actually gives us hope of dealing damage against ranged enemies beyond literal sticks and stones.

an57aKT.png

And that's it for Sparkling Field! Yeah, not a whole lot ended up happening, huh?

WSaxwxO.png

Regardless, as a reward for one of the jobs we've completed, we got a Bonsly to want to join our little club! Why not, right?

===========

Energy (Bonsly M); Lv. 1

mod_rw_438.png

Abilities: Sturdy, Rock Head | Moves: Fake Tears, Copycat

===========

YsaKMTG.png

Another interesting item we got as a reward for a different quest was a Medicine.png Team Elixir! This sounds like an incredibly useful item that restores the PP for all moves on all pokemon in the active party rather than just one! This can make PP management in long endurance dungeons far less stressful!

Qpd8b7L.png

Upon clearing these jobs, we've gone form Normal Rank to Bronze Rank! And our reward now is a Seeds.png Joy Seed!

=============

8MvrHQW.png

The next morning, Slowking meets with us to warn us that in the dungeons ahead, we're likely to face even tougher pokemon. To prepare us, he decides he's going to teach us a new technique: The Stack Attack.

SyovJpC.png

Slowking leads us to a tutorial area where he created a Stack Spot: A hole in the ground that we'll typically find in dungeons.

vYr6nKU.png

To perform a Stack Attack, we'll have to form a Stack, first!

txyLItI.png

Slowking instructs Wish to jump into the hole first.

iBN1P1K.png

Then, he instructs Spark to climb on top of Wish. We can select spark from a menu here.

mfIy7W9.png

And with that, we've formed a stack! Pikachu is balancing precariously on Wish's head! By doing so, our collective HP is combined and we can move around as a single unit! Slowking explains that pokemon can stack based on their size. A pokemon can join a stack if they are smaller than all the pokemon currently in the stack, and the stack can only have one pokemon of the same size.

In Explorers, Pikachu and Togepi were the same size, so obviously, this uses a different source for the pokemon's size. I suspect the size might be an internal variable carried over from My Pokemon Ranch, as this Stack mechanic is one of the behaviors pokemon can exhibit at the ranch. Regardless, this does pose an unfortunate oddity that's going to plague me with party planning. It seems unintuitive to guess what pokemon is "larger" or "smaller". Like, obviously, a Wailord will be larger than a Rattata, but I would deifinitely think Togepi would be smaller than Pikachu, right? Yet apparently it's Pikachu who rides on top of Togepi. It seems like there's no way to know for sure who can stack on who without checking their summaries and comparing their sizes directly.

vdd7D5P.png

6qklnGB.png

Now we get into the Stack Attack. When we go to select an attack, we'll instead select an attack from each pokemon in the stack.

7BHimXr.png

1WYFQo2.png

And then, each pokemon will attack one after another! It seems this is this game's quirky answer to the Linked Moves from previous PMD games.

HFRIkDJ.png

It seems we hit Slowking good!

TWP9MpX.png

Once we're done with the stack, we simply select Hop Down from the menu to get off.

fmmnh39.png

And that's it! This seems like a weirdly convoluted system, but I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it. The biggest thing I'm worried about is how this is going to affect team composition... It's gonna be difficult planning teams that have varying sizes while also keeping a good balance of types and roles.

ZLTK9gT.png

Once the tutorial is over, it seems we've sent Slowking flying into the air!

nZP6VLJ.png

S2awdmi.png

And he lands right on his face... When we rush over to his aid, though, he assures us he'll be fine.

9cmv4Ju.png

Slowking then goes on to teach us a little more about Stack Attacks. It's a technique that's been passed down for generations and requires absolute faith in your teammates, but it's an incredibly powerful asset and an essential for Adventure Squads in these parts.

kcc9SD9.png

rvd9gKX.png

uTsHjei.png

6R7MbRe.png

After a clever little title drop, we're given an odd fake-out end card... I've honestly gotta say, the humor doesn't really hit the same in this game. I'm not sure if it's just written by someone else, but it just kinda comes off as awkward more than anything else.

vgr5d6M.png

Slowking proceeds to explain that the Pokemon Stack will prevent your HP from recovering naturally, which I'd say is a reasonable downside and will frankly encourage me to use Oran Berries a bit more responsibly, too.

atnZS32.png

And with that, we've now unlocked our third dungeon, Shady Crag! But we're not going there just yet. Next time, we'll be catching up with the Stormy Adventure Squad! See you soon!

• Senior Staff

rJDR3Y8.png

We're back with more Adventure Squad! This time, we're rejoining the Stormy Adventure Squad.

Right away, you might notice a curious detail: We're already Bronze Rank! Yes, as we're carrying over the same save file, that means our Rank is preserved from game to game as well! This should make the game a bit less of a grind than you might have if you tried to just play one version of the game. But it might also mean we're going into some of these dungeons lower level than intended... We'll just have to play things by ear for a while!

2hpFbOo.png

RZQ7vrQ.png

Poking around Pokemon Beach, of course, most of the NPCs are the same here, even the variable pokemon have the same roles. Turtwig occasionally does jobs from the board and Floatzel is teazing Farfetch'd.

0SR9SJq.png

I, of course, took the time to prepare a new party. I tried to keep in mind size differences for stacking in preparation this time, but all of the pokemon we got in Stormy Adventure Squad happen to all be the same size. In Light Adventure Squad, we do have Psyduck which is one size larger than everyone else. But other than that, we've got nothing. Regardless, let's meet our new teammates!

============

mod_rw_194.png mod_rw_298.png

mod_rw_447.png mod_rw_007.png

Team Nature (Stormy)

---------------

Muddy (Wooper F); Lv. 7

mod_rw_194.png

Abilities: Damp, Water Absorb | Moves: Water Gun, Tail Whip, Mud Sport

--------------

Bubbles (Azurill M); Lv. 7

mod_rw_298.png

Abilities: Thick Fat, Huge Power | Moves: Splash, Charm, Bubble, Tail Whip

-------------

Flow (Riolu M); Lv. 5

mod_rw_447.png

Abilities: Steadfast, Inner Focus | Moves: Endure, Quick Attack, Foresight

------------

Fountain (Squirtle M)

mod_rw_007.png

Ability: Torrent | Moves: Tackle, Tail Whip

Yes, I'm aware the nickname is misspelled in-game. I'll try to fix that asap.

==========

OVq4I77.png

With our team prepared, we went to gather all the jobs in the newest dungeon, Lively Field, and now we're ready to take it on!

=============

iIVF3WQ.png

Lively Field

Here is Team Nature's Stormy division's first "real" adventure!

Items: PokeDollar.png Poke, Garments.png Power, Garments.png Special, and Garments.png Twist Bands, Apple.png Apples, Cheri.png Cheri, and Oran.png Oran Berries, Seeds.png Blast, Seeds.png Heal, Seeds.png Reviver, Seeds.png Sleep, Seeds.png Stun, Seeds.png Warp, and Seeds.png X-Eye Seeds, Stick.png Wooden Spikes, BlackGummi.png Black, BlueGummi.png Blue, BrownGummi.png Brown, GrayGummi.png Gray, GreenGummi.png Green, PinkGummi.png Pink, Royal.png Royal, SilverGummi.png Silver, and YellowGummi.png Yellow Gummis, Medicine.png Max Elixirs, and assorted TM.png TMs and Orb.png Wonder Orbs

-----------

Lively Field [1F - 5F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_114.png Tangela, mod_rw_193.png Yanma, mod_rw_204.png Pineco, mod_rw_206.png Dunsparce, mod_rw_283.png Surskit, mod_rw_293.png Whismur, mod_rw_300.png Skitty, mod_rw_339.png Barboach

Many of the pokemon here are incredibly dangerous. Tangela's Sleep Powder and destroy you while Pineco's Protect can cause serious problems this early on, especially since I can't quite one-shot anything yet. It also knows SelfDestruct, but you've got some starters with Damp in this game, so that's not too much of a problem. Still, if you don't happen to have Wooper with you, then watch out! Then there's Skitty with both Attract and Cute Charm if you happen to be the opposite gender... Yanma  and Surskit can also hit from a range with Quick Attack and Bubble, so you'll need to be careful of that, too.

Q4REwqS.png

On the third floor, Flow leveled up and learned Counter. Without Bite as an Egg move like in Explorers of Sky, Flow might be relying on Counter to deal some extra damage to ease the burden on Quick Attack.

Md5mK6c.png

I wound up recruiting a Pineco!

===========

Torrent (Pineco M); Lv. 7

mod_rw_204.png

Ability: Sturdy | Moves: Tackle, Protect, SelfDestruct

===========

vFRbWE5.png

On the fourth floor, Fountain learned Bubble! That's a great boon both for range and damage output since it's a STAB special attack!

U2nZqFN.png

On the 5th floor, we rescued Hoppip!

fGPAsch.png

Wooper also learned Mud Shot! It's great to have some type variety! But we're still pretty vulnerable to Grass-types...

--------------

Lively Field [6F - 11F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_114.png Tangela, mod_rw_193.png Yanma, mod_rw_204.png Pineco, mod_rw_206.png Dunsparce, mod_rw_283.png Surskit, mod_rw_293.png Whismur, mod_rw_300.png Skitty, mod_rw_339.png Barboach, mod_rw_453.png Croagunk

Starting on the 6th floor, you can start running into Croagunk! Be careful not to use Water attacks against it! It has Dry Skin and will heal from them!

o4rAXmX.png

On the 7th floor, I stumbled across a Slumber Trap. Boy do I love these traps...

fcFAy2R.png

Thankfully, nothing too rough came from the trap and I was able to get through and rescue Natu!

v3UroWB.png

Then came another Hoppip on the following floor...

LVZ0B1T.png

On the 9th floor, I found my first Reviver Seed! They're golden, so they should stand out pretty well.

kMBZgub.png

And our last pokemon to rescue is yet another Hoppip! Kind of odd that we've had so many repeat clients. I can only assume the pool that can be generated from is different based on your current rank or something.

dzoy2Zs.png

And after 11 floors, we reach the end of the dungeon! This one did admittedly take a couple of runs. But we made it to the end! And we'll keep going strong, too!

obkvwpm.png

From one of our missions, we received a Pecha Scarf as a reward! Very nice!

4Fs1ry9.png

And then, of course, Slowking begins to teach the Stormy division about the Stack Attack.

vIGeXXW.png

With another title drop (Yes, it does get the title right. It says "Let's Go! Tempest Team Nature!" and then "Do your best, Tempest Team Nature!", I just unintentionally mashed through the first one), we're left to another fake ending and the game proceeds!

alljQZl.png

And with that, we've unlocked the third dungeon in Stormy Adventure Squad! But next time, we check in with Blazing Adventure Squad! Then we should have the chance to start playing with Stack Attacks! See you soon!

• Senior Staff

ghXWHV7.png

And once again we're back with more Adventure Squad! This time, we're taking our second look at the Blazing division of Team Nature.

Oodt0Pb.png

P5Lyhmp.png

Of course, as with the other two games, the variable pokemon are share the same dialogue.

W8uBYuK.png

Anyway, let's not waste any time in our coverage today and get right into our new squad!

===========

mod_rw_216.png mod_rw_058.png

mod_rw_255.png mod_rw_004.png

Team Nature (Blazing)

--------------

Moon (Teddiursa M); Lv. 7

mod_rw_216.png

Abilities: Pickup, Quick Feet | Moves: Fake Tears, Lick, Scratch, Covet

--------------

Wildfire (Growlithe M); Lv. 5

mod_rw_058.png

Abilities: Intimidate, Flash Fire | Moves: Bite, Roar

-------------

Blaze (Torchic F); Lv. 5

mod_rw_255.png

Ability: Blaze | Moves: Scratch, Growl

--------------

Cinder (Charmander M); Lv. 5

mod_rw_004.png

Ability: Blaze | Moves: Scratch, Growl

==========

nyncPrA.png

There was actually only one job I wanted to do here. The others were item deliveries with items that are just too valuable for me at the moment.

uao1hi3.png

So, off we go to Cheery Field!

===========

48UfhIk.png

Cheery Field

It's time for the Blazing Division's second dungeon! It's very clear to me that, despite sharing naming conventions, there are more differences between these dungeons than merely aesthetic and the selection of pokemon. There appears to be variance among the available items and the pokemon spawns are a bit more complex in some than others.

Item: PokeDollar.png Poke, Apple.png Apples, Cheri.png Cheri, Oran.png Oran, and Pecha.png Pecha Berries, ClearGummi.png Clear, GreenGummi.png Grass, GrayGummi.png Gray, GreenGummi.png Green, PinkGummi.png Pink, RedGummi.png Red, SilverGummi.png Silver, SkyGummi.png Sky, WhiteGummi.png White, and YellowGummi.png Yellow Gummis,, Seeds.png Blast, Seeds.png Heal, Seeds.png Sleep, Seeds.png Stun, and Seeds.png Warp Seeds, Stick.png Wooden Thorns, Garments.png Power, Garments.png Special, and Garments.png Twist Bands, Medicine.png Max Elixirs, and assorted Orb.png Wonder Orbs and TM.png TMs.

-------------

Cheery Field [1F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_021.png Spearow, mod_rw_066.png Machop, mod_rw_077.png Ponyta, mod_rw_102.png Exeggcute, mod_rw_104.png Cubone, mod_rw_246.png Larvitar, mod_rw_290.png Nincada

This dungeon has a handful of significantly rare pokemon that might immediately catch your eye.

m0xHRtY.png

I've noticed a large amount of TMs on the first floor: Three in fact! This could just be a coincidence, but I do have to wonder if there's some hidden mechanic that randomly crates special floors with bonus rare items like these.

DYKo5eQ.png

Regardless, I wound up using one of these TMs to teach Wildfire Fire Blast. Admittedly, this was entirely on accident as I meant to back out rather than select a pokemon, but once I got to this menu I couldn't get out of it. But hey, Wildfire has a Fire attack now! Good for him! Unfortunately, Fire Blast isn't a ranged attack like I thought it was and it misses quite a lot. So it's not ideal.

-------------

Cheerful Meadow [2F - 3F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_021.png Spearow, mod_rw_066.png Machop, mod_rw_077.png Ponyta, mod_rw_102.png Exeggcute, mod_rw_104.png Cubone, mod_rw_246.png Larvitar, mod_rw_290.png Nincada, mod_rw_014.png Kakuna

Kakuna joins on 2F. Why it was too good for 1F? I couldn't tell ya. But here it is.

edzDsMU.png

An enemy I killed on this floor ended up dropping a TreasureChestY.png Deluxe Box! That's something we've yet to see... there must be an equivalent to Xatu's Appraisal back in Pokemon Village... I suppose we'll figure outwhat to do with this thing later on. But it's certainly worth holding onto.

fkUF0uU.png

The description says you need to bring it to Gastrodon, so I guess it's tied to that building with Gastrodon on it.

HEY1OOA.png

I also ended up finding a Garments.png Power Band! I decided to give it to Moon since he's got the most powerful physical attacks right now.

IzZNhUA.png

I also came across an Exeggcute that wanted to join the party! Frankly, support with Hypnosis could come in a lot of handy, so yeah, I brought her along!

===========

Kindle (Exeggcute F); Lv. 11

mod_rw_102.png

Ability: Chlorophyll | Moves: Uproar, Barrage, Hypnosis, Leech Seed

Kindle won't be doing much but putting pokemon to sleep for now, but I think she has potential with a little bit of development.

============

KLwkAdU.png

For now, I decided to swap her out in place of Blaze, since I think we've already got some really solid DPS with Moon.

k3zD7gy.png

Speaking of Moon, he learned Fury Swipes! I decided it was for the best to replace Fake Tears rather than Scratch, though, and it ultimately proved to be a good call. Fury Swipes seems to miss almost every attack for some reason. It must be disgustingly low accuracy.

tQy1KBI.png

After encountering a Larvitar, it used Sandstorm! I figured I'd share what a Sandstorm looks like in this game! Nothing fancy or anything.

---------------

Cheery Field [4F - 5F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_021.png Spearow, mod_rw_066.png Machop, mod_rw_077.png Ponyta, mod_rw_102.png Exeggcute, mod_rw_104.png Cubone, mod_rw_246.png Larvitar, mod_rw_290.png Nincada, mod_rw_014.png Kakuna, mod_rw_220.png Swinub

Swinub joins up on the 4th floor.

---------------

Cheery Field [6F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_021.png Spearow, mod_rw_066.png Machop, mod_rw_077.png Ponyta, mod_rw_102.png Exeggcute, mod_rw_104.png Cubone, mod_rw_290.png Nincada, mod_rw_014.png Kakuna, mod_rw_220.png Swinub

Larvitar takes its leave on the 6th floor.

CwntQYe.png

On the sixth floor, I rescued Cherubi!

--------------

Cheery Field [7F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_021.png Spearow, mod_rw_066.png Machop, mod_rw_077.png Ponyta, mod_rw_102.png Exeggcute, mod_rw_104.png Cubone, mod_rw_290.png Nincada, mod_rw_220.png Swinub, mod_rw_015.png Beedrill, mod_rw_236.png Tyrogue

Kakuna is the next to go. In its place are Beedrill and Tyrogue!

oGcnR1G.png

On the 7th floor, the dungeon changes to a more flowery yellow color scheme.

-------------

Cheery Field [8F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_021.png Spearow, mod_rw_102.png Exeggcute, mod_rw_104.png Cubone, mod_rw_220.png Swinub, mod_rw_015.png Beedrill, mod_rw_236.png Tyrogue

Ponyta, Machop, and Nincada take their leave next.

------------

Cheery Field [9F - 11F]

Pokemon: mod_rw_102.png Exeggcute, mod_rw_104.png Cubone, mod_rw_220.png Swinub, mod_rw_015.png Beedrill, mod_rw_236.png Tyrogue

Finally, Spearow is the last pokemon to leave.

---------------

ie8GAwf.png

And with that, we've cleared our second dungeon! Or, technically our sixth dungeon, depending on how you look at it.

=============

8PRZFr5.png

When we got back to the village, however, where I was expecting the Stack Attack tutorial like the other runs, I instead got a cutscene where Slowking asks if we know about the Gastrodon Shop. I'm assuming I got this scene because I picked up a Deluxe Box...

The in-universe reason for the shop's closure was due to the Gastrodon that run it going away on a trip.

ztMRlng.png

But now they've returned, so the shop is open again! According to Slowking, there are unique items here, and you can also open treasure boxes here, too. I'm running on the assumption right now that this is essentially a single store that combines the Croagunk Swap Shop and Xatu Appraisal.

IBZZdfE.png

Unfortunately, there was something kinda... missing in that. Yeah, not only did we not get the Stack Attack tutorial, we also didn't unlock the next dungeon. It's looking like we're gonna have to go back and do some more jobs! Next time, we'll do just that to unlock the third dungeon in Blazing Adventure Squad! We'll see how things go! See you soon!