"All I did was..." [Yubi x DoctorMindbender]

@yubi

As the girl opened her eyes, she was tied up, the ropes burning into her skin. Her eyes wondered around her surroundings, an unfamiliar place as she expected. But this thought only causes panic to consume her mind. Where in the world is she?! Heck, how was she even here in the first place? Maeve frowned worriedly since she can't recall the most recent event before she woke up here. She wanted to scream but she stopped herself from doing so since there is a possibility that her captor's present. Whoever it is, she wanted nothing more than to scream at them because she was sure she did nothing to deserve this..!

"Hello, my love" a voice said from some unseen direction. It is familiar, but Maeve can't quite place it. With an audible click, a blindingly bright spotlight came to life, pointed directly at the girl tied to the chair. A man stepped into it's light, silhouetted in the harsh white beam, he continued "We were supposed to wait for each other." The man threw a photo in the girl's lap accusingly. It was a picture of Maeve, talking to some friends - both men and women - in a bar. From the angle, it's not entirely clear where he could of taken it from. He tossed another, this one of Maeve sharing a chaste goodnight kiss with a date at the front door to her apartment block, framed in the light of a the front door light.

"I am disappointed."

• Like 1

Her heart was pounding from adrenaline due to her anxiety and she was attempting to remove the restraints despite her wrists bruised and red from friction. Her eyes were wide and she could even hear her own breathing. The voice also sounded familiar but where? The feeling was nagging her in addition to her current panic and all she could do was look wide eyed. The photos... These are her with her friends and date! Who in the ever loving?! "Who even are you?!" Maeve questioned, not attempting to process who the person was.

Samuel shook his head "You always were a joker, Maeve" he said, "Of course you remember me. We said we'd be married, that we would be together."

"Forever"

Sam let the word hang in the air, linger for a moment, before moving on.

His attitude shifted, even cast in shadows the anger twisting his face was obvious, he spits out the next words, full of venom "You promised you'd save yourself for me." Another photo is produced, dropped on Maeve's lap. This one clearly from a telephoto lens, through her bedroom window. She can be seen topless, reclined in bed, holding up her phone, the light from it's screen casting an eerie glow off her face, and the side of her breasts exposed through the window. The rest of her body, hidden below the sill.

Her body was sending her signals to run far away from here but she can't do that when she's restrained! Her whole body shook and her captor's words made her feel worse. How does he know her name?! Does she know him from somewhere? And what promise?! She doesn't recall something like that! Her anger halted at the next picture. It was the most private. Has he gotten to her house without her knowing?! "You creep! You peeked into my room and took a picture?!" She shouted out, all the intense feelings in her mixing in a horrible cocktail. She wanted to retch and punch the man at the same time but she couldn't.

"How dare you. You have no right to be mad, you harlot!" Sam screamed back "You were supposed to be my wife. But instead you defile yourself."

He flung another picture, disgusted, into Maeve's lap. This one was grainy clearly the product of a cheap digital camera, like a low end webcam. It showed her face - it was her webcam. In the photo her lips are parted ever so slightly, her tongue caught in the act of flicking against them, her eyes closed, head rolled back in an expression of ecstasy. One hand cupped her breast through the fabric of a t-shirt. The other hand is lower, dropping out of frame. Given the context, the only thing Maeve could be doing in the image is touching herself with it.

At this point, it was becoming irritating! Who is he and how does he know her?! "I've had it with you! You kept going on and on about a promise but you don't even introduce yourself! How the hell do I know something that I don't remember ever doing?!" The final picture was enough to send her to overdrive. Did he kidnap her and tie her up just to piss her off? Well, if he didn't tie her then she would've smacked him so much times by now. She was struggling on her seat as she looked quite angry as well.

Calming himself, Sam answered back "It's okay. I forgive you, Maeve. I love you. And loves means forgiveness." He released the bulging file folder in his hand. As it hit the ground, it's contents spilled over the floor: Photos and webcam images, some going back years, along with print outs of text messages and browser search histories. They were hers. The were all hers.

Sam cut the blazing white lamp. Lit now by the bare glass bulb dangling from the ceiling, his form became apparent. An average looking man, a couple of years younger then Maeve, clean shaven, hair freshly cut and professionally styled. Most striking was his attire. A black tuxedo, the jacket buttoned over the scarlet of a cummerbund that matched the bow tied around his neck. He smiled, an affectionate gesture so tender next to the raging hot anger he had just displayed "Besides, how can I stay mad at my blushing bride?"

She almost jumped at the sound of something being dropped and she immediately looked down to see a thick file full of things that should be private on her computer alone. How did he get this?! Is this for blackmail? But she had nothing worthy of that.

Once the lights dimmed, her eyes immediately went to the direction where her captor is and saw him fully. The face looked familiar to her. She felt like she has met him somewhere but where? Her mind was fuzzy too especially with how anxious she feels about the situation.

From his pocket Sam pulled a charm, mounted on a string so that it could be worn as a necklace, in the shape of a half heart broken in two. It was a cheap thing, plastic, painted with a fake gold that had worn off around the edges. The kind of thing a child might wear. Stamped into it the letters 'ever'. Sam approached, suspending the locket by the bit of string, letting it dangle and spin in front of Maeve. "It was so long ago that we made that promise, but it seems like just yesterday."

"Huh..?" Her eyes focused on the locket in front of her. That locket too... It looks really familiar. But why? Why can't she recall? It felt like she has seen it a long time ago but she can't really remember where and when.

That is until a sudden memory flashed in her head and she looked at the man before her once more. He looked almost similar to a boy she used to play to back in the day. He was mostly alone and she approached him because he looked lonely. The promise too, she remembered it now. It was something about marrying but now that she thought about it, a child's promise is something that shouldn't be taken seriously!

"You're Samuel, right? From kindergarten?" She questioned before looking terrified, "If it's about that promise, we were just children when that promise was made! There was no serious thought behind it!"

"That's what made it the most serious" he spoke earnestly, "It came from the heart - the pure heart of a child."

"And that's why I've always been there for you. Remember when I protected you from those bullies who used to pull your hair on the playground?" Sam asked, as he gently brushed her hair "Haven't you ever wondered about any of it. Your secret admirer, the one that left flowers in your locker. Or that football player, who groped you in the hallway and laughed about it. The principal never did anything about it, didn't want to damage his bright future. They never did find who was driving, who was behind that hit-and-run that sent him to the hospital. When you couldn't afford college, and that last minute scholarship letter arrived, offering just enough to make up the difference?" Sam smiled, his face beamed with pride, pushing out his chest "That was me. It was always me."

All she could do was listen because what else can she do? Her childhood friend is her captor! How can she process this?! Maeve thought back on those events, she did find them really weird and way too perfect to be a coincidence. So it was him after all. Has he been stalking her all these years without her knowing? That thought scared her.

His touch was gentle but she was still scared nonetheless. He has injured people and got into her house without her knowing. How else can she think of it? "But how..? How could you find me after my family moved? I never told you where-"

"- it was work, but for you, my beloved, it was worth it."

Sam sniffles a bit, tears welling up in his eyes "You were my best friend, I was so upset you forgot to tell me. I cried for days. Finally, Emily told me a little bit. But it was enough. When I was finally old enough to use the computer, I searched through online white pages. I had to cross-reference it against government land records, but I found you."

Just listening to his explanation just made her more scared. Did he seriously go that far just to find her then stalk her for more than a decade? She is terrified. How far will he go? Is there even a limit? She was startled that he started to tear up and this made her want to cry herself because of this unfamiliar situation. "But why? You could just forget about me and move on with life. Why cling to a single promise?"

Sam wanted to do this more gently, but her comment has forced his hand "You know they're cheating on you, right?" Sam had kept tabs on all the people Maeve has dated through the years. He rummaged through the folder contents on the floor, and came up with a photo. It's the person Maeve is dating, making out in the back seat of their car, with another woman. "There's more. But, they'll only upset you, my love."

The woman stopped at the question. Wait... "What..?" Maeve uttered out. She didn't know anything about her current partner so obviously, she didn't know he was cheating on her. The photo only proved her childhood friend's point as she trembled, "This must've been photoshopped! You're just playing a trick on me, Sam.. right? If it is, it's not funny..."

Even if he says that he has more proof, what is to say that they're not photoshopped too? How can she trust someone that she hasn't met in decades and tie her up like this? But if it's true... Tears started to run down her cheeks at the thought of her partner cheating on her. No, no, she shouldn't cry here! She's not sure if it's true or not..!

Not knowing what else to do, he placed a white silk handkerchief in her hand, then his trembling fingers fumbled with the knots tying that arm in place loosening it. He took a full step back, allowing her the chance to shake her arm free, while staying out of her immediate reach. "I am so sorry you had to find out this way. But you deserve to know. You deserve someone who loves you" he says, his voice cracking, pleading for forgiveness.

Meekly, he adds, "I have ... video. If you ask, I will show it, but please don't ... I don't want to hurt you more."

He even has videos?! At that point, she was convinced that it was true. Her tears were overflowing at the revelation and she used her newly freed hand to bring the handkerchief to her eyelids, trying to wipe the tears away. Maeve truly loved that man and to learn that he cheated on her? It was painful.

"Why..? Was I not enough?" Her whole body trembled as she uttered those words. She didn't care that she was in captivity right now, all that mattered was that she was hurt from what she found out. Why, why, why?! She thought she did her best for the relationship but it looks like it was all for naught.

"Don't say such things, my love" Sam attempted to reassure her "He is a fool, who doesn't deserve you. He doesn't know you, like I know you. You need someone who is willing to give up everything for you, who will wait for you ... who has waited for you." As he talked, he worked to free her other arm, carefully undoing the knots that he had previously tied.

Seeing that he was freeing her other hand, Maeve couldn't believe it. He was freeing her? She was hurt, yes, but she also wanted to escape. She wants her mundane life without any of this stalking. Should she take advantage of this opportunity? Hm... Not yet. He is way closer to the exit so not yet...

Sam wrapped his arms around her, cradling Maeven's face to his chest, letting her tears stain the black wool of his jacket. Today was supposed to be special, it wasn't supposed to be like this. Stroking her hair as she cries he tried to comfort her "Let it all out, my dear."