World Lore

Posted (edited)

PLACEHOLDER

World History - Lets hope this works. The idea here is to write the world  history.

Haaaah... How many times have I written this already? I know that I must have talked about it at least 3-5 times or so both in the rp threads but also in my private messages. I was sure that I had added it to the background info but I can't find it? So I guess I will have to rewrite it. Anyway, I will write an extensive timeline here and finally jot down some exact dates/years when stuff happened. This however while one of the shorter parts of the Lore, is still rather long so for now I will just write down some excerpts that will work as a placeholder here. When I get around to it, I will actually fill in the full info. Anyway:

*  The RP starts out being exactly our world, however this is around the year 199? - somewhere in the 90s is where the world of this rp detracts from the world such as we know it. This is why stuff that was created later after the 90s, have never existed in the world of this rp.

* In the 1990s (exact year will be decided at some point later) - something called "The Great Cataclysm" happened.

* The Great Cataclysm happened in Japan and engulfed the entire country as well large parts of the sea around it. It also encroached on China and cause a large chunk of that landmass to disappear in the ocean.

* Exactly what The Great Cataclysm was, is actually one of the main mysteries of the rp and not something that I will just reveal here in the section (at least not until it has been revealed in the rp). However, while exactly what it was or is, or what caused it is still a mystery, there are a lot of things that we do know about.

* The Great Cataclysm rewrote the rules of the universe... that is to say the physics of it. Exactly what this means will be touched upon later, but to make things easier to understand, lets just say that it unlocked Mana and as such allowed what we refer to as Magic in the rp to exist. However, as it did so, such things that we now take for granted changed. One such thing is/was electricity. In the rp there is absolutely no electricity. However, Magic can still create thunder and what we would see as electricity, however it does not "flow" and actually exist as electron etc. Electricity is the rp is just something that you can cause, not something that exist. To make it easy to understand - nothing that uses electricity today works. (unless it was rebuilt?).

*Another thing The Great Cataclysm caused was the change of genetics due to the unlocking of Mana. Aside from a lot of other things and changes in humans, it made it so that people started being born with odd hair colors/eye colors.

* The mana also started mutating animals and the fauna over the years. (more on that later)

* Ground zero for The Great Cataclysm (Japan) is not really accessible. Nobody can enter it. From outside it just looks like a thick fog that you can't see into. On the world map if seen from space it would probably look like a big dot?

* With the introduction of Mana, magic appeared in the world, and science was turned on it's head. With things having changed and with Japan disappearing, natural disasters started happening. A lot of people not only was able to learn magic, but there was an unnatural wave of people that suddenly knew how it worked. People that knew how magic worked started trying to use their power to enrich themselves and oppress those that could not use it. With more and more people learning how things worked wars on a scale never before seen broke out across the entire world. This was to later be referred to as: The Great Upheaval

* The Great Upheaval, often confused by normal people with the Great Cataclysm, was the surge of wars and what happened with the introduction of Mana. The world simply broke and humanity almost disappeared.

* Over the course of somewhere between twenty and a hundred years, the population on earth was decimated. It is roughly guessed that around 5 billion people passed away during the Great Upheaval. Because of this and the loss of such things as electricity and recordings... exactly what happened and how long it took is unclear. Even using the position of the stars and carbon-dating and axis of the earth etc, isn't an exact science since the laws of the universe changed.

* The rp and current timeline at the academy, plays out around 350 years after the Great Upheaval. Which roughly places the great Cataclysm having happened around 400 years ago. However, how precise this is, is not clear.

Edited by Nan-Yo

PLACEHOLDER

I don't really want to get into the exact science of it since IMHO, the trick to making a good magic system is to not explain everything. Magic is magic because we don't really know what it is. Still, in order for the magic in the rp to function, I need to explain some things that would/should be known in the actual rp by the characters that are played. You are going to see magicians etc and other beings use magic and want to use that too... but since we can't really have characters just doing magic that doesn't exist and would break the lore, there needs to be some ground rules. These are pretty basic, and whatever other magic you need to know will only be explained and applicable if you actually come in contact with it in the rp. I.E if you are not a character that use magic, then you as a player have no need to know how it works.

The Gods and Other beings that use magic will be played by me and Satai. Think of these characters more as something you react to as a player. Basically, if you are a human, you should react as a human if you are suddenly faced with something like a god. So if you think "I'll go fight this god", then the outcome will be what it would be IRL.

But magic for "normal" characters also exist in the rp. Depending on what type of character you play, you will have either a bigger or smaller chance of actually wielding magic. Magic in this RP can in theory be be wielded by almost everyone. This does not mean that your character will be able to do stuff like fly around though and other stuff. If you want your character to be able to learn and use magic, you'll have to have them enroll in one of the many types of magic classes at the school.

Magic in this world however is both seen as something "everyday mundane" as well as something "special". No matter what wonders magic can actually produce, in this rp it is not thought of as any more special than we think of say "Physics" or "Chemistry" in our world. So unless your character had a reason to like magic, they probably would see it more as those subjects.

The actual types of magic and how to use it will be explained in the magical classes if any of you actually decide to have your character choose to take such classes. Thus, I wont spoil the specifics here since none of the characters you guys play should know all that much about it before enrolling at the academy.

Magic however basically makes everything in the world function now. All the technology of our world is now replaced by magic technology and powered by it.

PLACEHOLDER

The science of the world in the rp is vastly different from the one we all are living today. While drawing a lot from what existed in the 90s, most of what existed and was known was lost after the Great Cataclysm and Great Upheaval. Common sense had to be relearned. Not only had natural laws changed, even those that still was close to what had existed before, would be something that mankind had to hold onto less it disappear during the wars and catastrophes. But as the world slowly calmed down and new societies emerged and established themselves among those of old that survived, what had been learned over all those years and what was remembered now started coming back.

As mentioned before, laws of physics were changed, and among them electricity no longer exist other than just something that can be allowed by Mana and magic. What I mean by that is that electricity can't be generated by such means that we use today. If you know how electricity works then you can imagine the larger change that this suggest. Yes, it means that atoms and electrons and the smallest building blocks known to man, don't act the way they do in reality anymore. Similarly, even nuclear energy and radiation no longer exist.

Once the Great Cataclysm happened, if say electricity no longer worked, then what would have happened to all those nuclear powerplants?

Well, luckily, nothing happened... because radiation and all that simply doesn't work the same anymore.

The sheer amount of changes is staggering so I wont go into that... but you don't have to worry about it as a player. As a player you just have to remember that unless I have mentioned a technology in this thread or one of my posts... you should assume that it does not exist. If you are really curious whether or not something exists in the rp, just send me a message and I will tell you.

The main rule about the science in this world though is that everything is controlled and running on Mana./magical energy.

Here is a short list of technologies that don't exist or exist as an artifact or some other way:

Spoiler

* Cars

* Airplanes

* Telephones

* Mobile phones

* Computers

* TV

* Radio

* Cameras/Videocameras

* The Internet

* Guns

* Microwave Ovens

Now here is a short list of technologies that exist:

Spoiler

* Airships

* Large ships

* Trains

* Magical terminals

* Magical Communicators

* Magical Recording Devices

* Lamps

* Stoves/refrigerators/ovens

* Toilets/showers/baths

Now, you ask yourself... what are these communicators, terminals and recorders? Well, as you might guess they pretty much fill the same function as the phones, computers and cameras etc. However, they are actually different in a lot of ways. But aside from being different, they are not something that most people in the rp even use and in many cases know about. These things are mainly just used by the elite, or the elite of the elite. See there is no incentive for them to actually affect culture since commoners don't use them. So something like say a Communicator isn't something that even the elite care all that much about even though it could be said to in many ways be similar to a mobile phones. There is nobody to call and quite frankly... people in the rp don't waste their time on social media. Why would they? For those of you that never experienced the 80s or the 90s I guess a world without the Internet is a weird concept but this is how it is.

Likewise the Magical Terminals are used as information bases. Think of how terminals was used in libraries in the 60s - 70s? There is no Internet and nothing like that, so the Terminals is mostly something used by the school itself and the staff. Information can be accessed by students (contact me if you want me to explain the specifics), but it is a very elite thing.

Remember, the Ryouseiku Academy is the largest and most advanced school on Earth in the Rp. The Elite of the Elite from all over the world are sent there. So things found at the academy are in some cases stuff that don't exist or is rare to find outside even for the elite.

Now for the most shocking part.

Just like Magic, Science is NOT valued as highly as it should logically be.

See, while magic and magic science is what allows people to still live and survive in the rp after the great upheaval, it is not what makes you elite. The elite are people with power. Not magical power or even vast intellects, but simply power based on their influence. While also being being smart or being good at magic might be something that the elite sometimes flaunt, it is more like something that they don't really care about. To them, they are elite because they are elite and they don't need to actually have any talents.

• Nan-Yo locked, unlocked and locked this topic