Do you Listen to Music when you RP?

I've always been curious whether the majority of people listen to music while they write or if they prefer silence? If you do listen to music what kind do you prefer? 

Personally I listen to different things based on the RP. I like to surround myself with things that I think would help me feel or think like my characters. If the game is fantasy based I like to listen to movie sound tracks and hour mixes, I'll even put on rain effects if its raining during the scene or bug noises if its at night. At times I like to get cinematic and play songs if the moment feels right. The other day I was playing a barbarian lady and chose to listen to Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin just to get the mood right, the other day I was playing a yandere plot and played Ain't No Sunshine so I felt the concept deeper. 

What about you? What do you do? Why do you listen/not listen to music? 

See! People are so different! It's amazing, personally I have to envision something in my head in order to describe it with words. I'm very much so an audio visual learner in that way I guess. 

So the music helps me see things in my mind's eye and starts my imagination. I can totally understand cutting out lyrics while you write, sometimes I just get stuck writing the words that go in my ears. 

Unlike Rani-Bear I can't listen to podcasts while I do things, I honestly can't keep up with what they're saying, though music with lyrics doesn't do that for some reason? Different parts of the brain I guess? 

Probably the tune. If it were catchy enough to goes through your head, it won't get in the way and might boost your work. But if its inducing some emotion that you don't find it necessary on your writing even if the title and lyric share similar theme of your writing, it only get in the way. Remix is one of the example for me. 

Honestly I don’t really listen if I’m on my phone😄 it’s mostly for background noise so I just let videos play as they come or I’ll put on miniature building, cooking, or resin making videos because they usually have instrumental attached to it. Occasionally if I’m really into an RP sometimes my imagination takes control and I have to pause it or I’d lose what I’m thinking about XD 

Sometimes I stop the music. I first judge the scene of the story. Is it romantic? Is it breath-taking? Is it chill? Is it sad? Sometimes I connect with my character or put them in the spotlight inside my head which helps me write out their actions and dialogue.

When I am doing in-RP world building though or dropping lore about said character or world; I turn off the music. Its really fun for me to have songs on when I'm replying, especially when my character is supposed to be an irresistable, sexually moody, handsome bastard. 😝

• 1 month later...

Currently, I have two rps set in a medieval sort of setting that I sometimes play a bit of andrey vinogradov to. I forget what the instrument he plays is called but it's so fascinating and takes me right into what I think those times would have been like, the romanticized version though lol. 

Other times I just play my usual playlist with all sorts of songs like the sound of silence down to a bit of doja cat. But most times my brain gets foggy and clogged up with stuff when my partner is well read. So then I have to cut it all off and play an interrogation video or some kind of TLC drama like hoarders or 600 pound life so I can focus lol..

Archived