GM Angel's Pathfinder character discussion thread

There's a lot of room to interpret that ruling.

Many magic items affect you without actually casting a spell on you. A ring of energy resistance doesn't actually cast resist energy. The golem's immunity to spells shouldn't kick in for such things. But if the item's description says "can cast feather fall on the wearer 1/day" it would fail on a golem wearer, since feather fall allows spell resistance. If it just makes you fall slowly without casting the spell, it would work for the golem. At least that's my interpretation.

There's some ambiguity here as well, since it specifically says "an iron golem is immune to spells or spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance." So if an item doesn't allow spell resistance, it should work. Again, my interpretation.

Ultimately I'd say this is 100% the GM's call.

3 minutes ago, IsabellaRose said:

There's a lot of room to interpret that ruling.

Many magic items affect you without actually casting a spell on you. A ring of energy resistance doesn't actually cast resist energy. The golem's immunity to spells shouldn't kick in for such things. But if the item's description says "can cast feather fall on the wearer 1/day" it would fail on a golem wearer, since feather fall allows spell resistance. If it just makes you fall slowly without casting the spell, it would work for the golem. At least that's my interpretation.

There's some ambiguity here as well, since it specifically says "an iron golem is immune to spells or spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance." So if an item doesn't allow spell resistance, it should work. Again, my interpretation.

Ultimately I'd say this is 100% the GM's call.

I agree, the argument to me it seems that it depends on how far the aura of "antimagic" around the a golem extends. After all if an iron Golem grabs a magical weapon it doesn't turn the magic off.

Cloudkill is a good attack spell that doesn't. I think what I want to do with Adam is add powers storyline to him as we go, when the other PC's level up have the spell casters make alterations to him etc. Add a haste effect, the advanced simple template, whatever we work out. Dozle has a hard time with rules so I try to keep it easy for him.

20 minutes ago, GM Angel said:

Cloudkill is a good attack spell that doesn't. I think what I want to do with Adam is add powers storyline to him as we go, when the other PC's level up have the spell casters make alterations to him etc. Add a haste effect, the advanced simple template, whatever we work out. Dozle has a hard time with rules so I try to keep it easy for him.

My character is going to take Craft Golem, and the required skill Craft (Sculpture), but that is a few levels away, if you wish when I rework for improve initiative I can fit this earlier.

1 hour ago, GM Angel said:

If you would like. That works for me well.

Done!

For anyone interested changed two feats (Improved Initiative and Quick Draw for Eschew Materials and Craft Construct not a 1-1 change), my two traits and moved some skills around loosing three languages, some ride/swim skill so i could get the Craft Sculpture skill.

@DozleZabie2 As soon as you can afford the 500,000gp we are making you and Adamantine body, and a few other improvements...

• Like 1
  • Love 1