Discussion

It's not in reference to anything at all... just the phrase, "the vessel." What does your imagination conjure when you hear those words? Do you picture a pirate vessel, filled with brigands? A earthenware vessel hand crafted by a primitive society? Do you imagine the structure known as the Vessel in Manhattan? 

My best suggestion would be to use the definition and see if it spurs any ideas. In fact, I'll add it to the challenge post.

vessel, noun
1. a craft for traveling on water, now usually one larger than an ordinary rowboat; a ship or boat.
2. an airship.
3. a hollow or concave utensil, as a cup, bowl, pitcher, or vase, used for holding liquids or other contents.
4. Anatomy, Zoology. a tube or duct, as an artery or vein, containing or conveying blood or some other body fluid.
5. Botany. a duct formed in the xylem, composed of connected cells that have lost their intervening partitions, that conducts water and mineral nutrients. Compare tracheid.
6. a person regarded as a holder or receiver of something, especially something nonmaterial: a vessel of grace; a vessel of wrath.

This one has no limits or rules other than use the words for the title. You could write anything from a haiku to a epic-length poem, from flash fiction to a novella.

I think for the ones we're going to ask people to vote on, we might want to set a word limit so people can actually read them all!

17 hours ago, IsabellaRose said:

Yeah, definitely. My own entry is getting away from me... I'm going to have to edit it down. It's full of unnecessary world-building details... much like all of my D&D campaigns.

On the plus side, you could possibly use the setting for a roleplay now. 😛 (That's how I try to look at my own with a glass-half-full approach)

51 minutes ago, IsabellaRose said:

Settings and ideas just explode out of me most of the time, even when I can't muster the energy to write them down. More ideas have been lost to my depression-induced malaise than will ever be used.

They say art is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration. Having ideas isn't the hard part, committing to them is.

I thought it was success that is 10% inspiration... 

Honestly, half my ideas aren't worth commitment. 

But I don't have the time or energy to put into most of the rest. If I did, I could probably finish outlining more original worlds than mot successful franchises. But I know I'll never be successful as an author, or an artist, despite how much art also pours out of me. Sadly, it's in too many different mediums for me to focus on any one and be successful as an artist, either. No one wants a multi-disciplined artist. They want a painter, or an illustrator, or a guitarist, or a singer, or a sculptor, or a dancer... not a generalist who does them all. I will always enjoy my creativity as a hobby, but I will leave this world knowing that most of my creativity will never be seen or enjoyed by anyone else. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IsabellaRose said:

I thought it was success that is 10% inspiration... 

Honestly, half my ideas aren't worth commitment. 

But I don't have the time or energy to put into most of the rest. If I did, I could probably finish outlining more original worlds than mot successful franchises. But I know I'll never be successful as an author, or an artist, despite how much art also pours out of me. Sadly, it's in too many different mediums for me to focus on any one and be successful as an artist, either. No one wants a multi-disciplined artist. They want a painter, or an illustrator, or a guitarist, or a singer, or a sculptor, or a dancer... not a generalist who does them all. I will always enjoy my creativity as a hobby, but I will leave this world knowing that most of my creativity will never be seen or enjoyed by anyone else. C'est la vie.

You know, there was one struggling artist who couldn't decide, if he wanted to be a painter or an sculpture, he was famous for almost never finishing his work. He only finished around 20 works for art in like 60 years, heck most of the time he wasn't even paid to be an artist, he just doodle crazy ideas. You might have heard of him he was called Leonardo Da Vinci.

I know that comparing you to one of the greatest artist in history may sound facetious, the point is that I think all artists struggle with the feelings you are having, and that is part of the process. You are right that today you get hired to do one thing, but I work with artists and they rarely feel they are actually making art. Just because you get paid to make it doesn't mean you feel any more or less successful.

You are being too hard on yourself.

• Like 1