Farmlands

farm_land_by_jbrown67-d5har6l.jpg?token=
Outside of the large and safe capital lies the many farms of various sizes and population.
Some are more singular whilst other farms group up closer together.
They provide many produce of different kind.
Whilst outside of the large capital, the countryside is still fairly safe and also have a few patrols that frequent the main roads and in general keep the order.

They all said I wouldn't last a day outside the village but I have: most of one at least. And I think I look the part: I should do, and my older sister can easily replace these clothes I took from her closet. The sword is heavier than I expected, but I will get used to it. I am an Adventurer! At last, out here in the big wide world on a real adventure. I do wish I had brought something to eat, though: and something warmer to wear over these fetching but rather skimpy clothes. I don't know whether to follow the road further or go into the woods to find shelter and sleep.

Close by the everyday life of the average farmhands and farmers go by as they tend to their fields or animals of various kinds. They seem very focused on their manual labour under the warm midday sun, leaving little energy left to notice the stranger appearing near them.

Beyond them, a pair of guards are strolling around slowly, whilst chatting loosely between each other, before one of them spots the new person. Seeing as she doesn't seem hostile, they slowly walk closer, but keeping a hand near their swords just in case."Halt! Who goes there?", one of them asks her.

The men are armed, wary but don't seem threatening. But how should an Adventurer react? In truth I feel a bit .. well, not scared - oh no, not scared at all but just a bit ... uncertain. An Adventurer can be uncertain,  can't they? Uncertain isn't scared. If I were back in the village I'd ask for help, but I'm not, I'm an Adventurer: I'll try being ... sort of ... haughty ... proud .. challenging..

"Who dares ask?"

I think I sort of squeaked, I'll have to practice a firm voice...

Naturally, said guards are dressed in proper matching gear befitting of their position. They give each other a brief, but bewildered look as she ask such a question. Then the one who approached her answers her back, his demeanour looking a bit more tense and on edge."Have you never seen town guards before? Who are you stranger? What is your business here? I must remind you that you are on owned land", he goes on, sounding more serious.

I'm relieved the men aren't brigands ... though obviously if they had been,  I would have bravely dealt with them ... anyway now I feel a bit foolish: of course I've heard of town guards, it's just I haven't been let far from the village so haven't seen any before.

"Oh guards, yes of course, yes"

calm down, Della, I tell myself:

"Im not a stranger, I'm Della from..."

Oops, no, I'm not village girl Della, I'm an Adventurer,  that was close...

"Della from... a far land ..."

Oh God, now they'll think I AM a stranger:

"..far but not strange... distant but not odd.."

I'm going to have to practice this...

:I am an Adventurer,  come in search of ...Adventure..."

My voice trails off dismally: that didn't go as well as I hoped. But I strike a bold confident pose and hope they didn't notice my stupid words.

Edited by Sarah_1964

The woman does not seem like a threat, just kind of ditzy or at least unsure of herself. In any case, there is no need to be overly cautious. Since they are out in open grassland and among farms, there are not many places a potential ambush might hide."Oh, okay. Fair enough...adventurer Della. Where are you headed? If you seek adventure, it is doubtful you will find it among rye and beeds, hahaha", the guard says jokingly, the mildly menacing tone gone and replaced with a more witty and relaxed one.

From where she stands, the grand capital of Etheria, Karthel, is easily visible.

Edited by JennyDK

Well he is right I didn't find Adventure in the fields even though I tried: that's why I left the village: but I didn't really think beyond that, so I'm unsure where I am going.

The big town on the horizon: that must be Karthiel? Must be Adventures galore there - so follow the road it is:

"Ha! Yes! No Adventure in the rye fields!"

Unless you count that time with Jack and to be honest that wasn't as much of an Adventure as he promised and it just left my hand all sticky:

"To Karthiel I journey! By the road!"

Edited by Sarah_1964

The guards snicker a bit once she has left them for a bit, then the other guard adds "Be careful in there miss, don't just accept the first job you get", he says both in a teasing manner as well as seriously, which hopefully gets through.

If she travels for about 90 minutes, she will find herself on one of the large ports that leads into Karthel. Guarding the gate is also a few guards."Who goes there? Name and business", she is asked from on top of the wall near the gate.

I am pleased at the respect shown by the guards: and at their helpful advice - indeed,  as an Adventurer I should be choosy about the work I accept.

Which reminds me I have no money: but I am sure something will turn up, so I follow the road to the city.

Edited by Sarah_1964