Sooo... D&D, does anyone play it and do you know it?

• 2 months later...

Ok. A little background here: I've played and run p&p RPGs for over quarter of a century now. I've played a lot of different systems out there. Of course I heard about D&D early on, but I was content to play the local "knock-off" (I'm from Sweden, and we have a disproportionately large RPG industry). At some point I decided to read the 3.5 rules (I think it was). Bought the book, read it from cover to cover, sold it again. It just didn't appeal to me at all. The other games did everything that did, just in much less convoluted ways (in my opinion). Didn't look back until about a year ago, when a friend convinced me to play a short campaign of D&D5. So I did, because RPGs are always fun (as long as I get to act out a character, which I did). It was pretty much exactly what I expected; the mechanics kept getting in the way of the actual role playing (how I see it, anyway). Often, the rules don't make sense to me (I won't specify or I'll be here all day), and I also find that they kind of force you to exploit the system -- people in our group who don't usually min-max or optimise were suddenly "netgaming" and using broken character builds (while I made a suboptimal bard: "healing spells? but I'm a musician!"). And there were fairly stupid arguments about finer points of rules (upon which the interpretation of the brokenness hinged) -- again something I had never seen in our group before.

So that's a big old nope for me in the future.

Now, I don't begrudge anyone playing D&D. If you have fun, that's the point. But it doesn't suit my preference for RP, which is much more focused on story and character interaction. So I like other systems that are a little more 'fluffy'. Last thing I ran was a homebrew campaign using FATE, which certainly has issues of its own, but is much more in line with the experience I'm looking for.

But my main gripe with D&D is that it's so huge that to a lot of people, it has basically become synonymous with p&p RPGs, down to people talking about it like it's the only game that exists. New players coming into the hobby are exposed to D&D this and D&D that and if they try it and don't like it, they kind of assume they've tried RPGs, which isn't even remotely true. There is a plethora of underrated systems out there, and something for every style and preference. So yeah, I do get a little grumpy when I see it mentioned everywhere I go, even if I don't in any way blame people for playing it or enjoying it.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing D&D for five years now, as both a player and a dungeon master.

I've branched out to different systems, too, but D&D is still the one I'm most attached to and two out of my three weekly games are D&D 5e.

It helps that I've been interested in classic Fantasy long before that, too. Elves, dragons, magic, that's my stuff.

I'm kinda a newbie to dnd. I think its been a year, maybe two. I'm very much enjoying it. I'm one of those people that makes a character for the role play aspect vs combat, so I'm not min-maxing any characters.

My favorite character I've had is a ghost girl with short term memory loss. She has an intelligence score of 7 and if you leave her presence too long, she forgets you. I adore her.

I don't really have any experience with any other table top RPGs and I've only played 5e, but I have lots of fun with it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I would say watch out with DnD though if you just wanna use it in a Sexual Smut way with Text-Based between you and some friends then go for it just don't post it anywhere or else Wizard can take and use it or possibly remove it throughout, so yeah right now it is a bit iffy with the whole DnD stuff but I still wanna do it with people on here even though it is so hard to find someone to do it with here on ED 😅

Though Dungeons and Dragons as well as all the other Roleplaying Tabletop Games that I have heard a bit about all sounds so fun and amazing with the Players Creativity flowing out making amazing stories for them all to share with one another, I remember at some point during a Family Event that I heard two talk about their Adventures during one of their DnD Sessions and I didn't know what they were talking about but it sounded like a blast back then~ 😄 

Archived