*Chapter Two: Food For Thought*

"I hate to be the one to bring this up, but we need to face facts." This was an odd announcement coming from Kianna, and she knew it. She quickly continued. "Even assuming my husband is out there somewhere, the fact remains that, unless and until he returns, we're fending for ourselves." There were several nods amongst the Pokémon, some of them sorrowful. "I thought we were doing alright," Pachirisu huffed. Sagacious as Kianna was, she knew Pachirisu wasn't angry at her; just the situation with the radio. "And we are. You should all be proud of yourselves. But..." Wiggytuff raised her glass in celebration, cutting her off. "That's what I'm talkin' about!" Goodra was upon her quick as a shadow. "Quiet! Mistress is speaking!" "No need for that, dear," Kianna told her. "You all have a right, and a reason, to be excited. The issue is just that we need to start putting in some work if we're to continue our way of life. Put simply, dears, we can no longer just rest on our laurels."

The lady of the house, as her vocabulary would suggest, was quite well-read. In fact, it was perhaps ironic that she happened to be a rodent, as her way of speaking somewhat mimicked that of a rodent found within the pages of classic literature. The daring Miss Bianca, to be specific. She too had a voice and an elegance that were known to sway others to her way of thinking. Though Kianna lacked the bravery and worldly wisdom of the Hungarian heroine, none could doubt that her position as head of the household was deserved. She addressed Goodra again. "Most important is food and water. How's our supply looking?" "We have enough food for a few days," the dragon replied. "And the taps are still working." "I haven't heard any warnings that the water supply might be contaminated," Pachirisu chimed in. Kianna smiled warmly in response, like a proud mother. "Splendid, both of you! Goodra, make sure to serve the perishables first. Pachi, keep an ear to the radio." Neither one needed reminding, but they both thought better of talking back.

Next to speak was Vaporeon, who first swallowed her current fork full of Magikarp. "Pray to Arceus, but row for the shore." Kianna's attention turned to the sickly young lady. "I beg your pardon, sweetie? " Vaporeon repeated the saying, then elaborated. "The best case scenario is for your husband to come back. But you're saying that we should be prepared. Y'know, in case we actually are on our own." Kianna gave her the same smile she showed to the maternal dragon and the hot headed rodent. "Darling, I could kiss you right now! I couldn't have explained the situation better myself!~" She then turned to address the others, looking at them from her position at the head of the dinner table. "Yes; Vaporeon is absolutely right. We need to prepare. I propose we search for food and clean water." Again, her gaze soon turned in Goodra's direction. "Do we have any money?" Goodra nodded. "Yes, ma'am. But I don't think it'll last us long, with so many mouths to feed." Kianna was clearly enjoying this. In the face of such challenges, she seemed almost joyous as she led the planning. "Then we'll have to forage. Does anybody know some good spots?~"

The first one to pipe up was Wigglytuff. When it came to food, anybody could tell at a glance the portly lapine was knowledgeable. "There's a flower shop nearby." "We're looking for food, sweetie," Treble chastised her. "Not decorations." But Pachirisu's expression perked up. "Hold on; she might have something." Smiling, Wigglytuff continued. "Maybe they have some berries they can share." A series of nods took place around the table. It seemed Wigglytuff's idea was accepted by everybody. Except for Cassie. "Sure they might. Don't get me wrong; it's a good idea. But a lot of us are carnivores." As she gave a list of names, the Lucario pointed a black-furred paw at each one in turn as she mentioned them. "Myself, Ruri, Goodra, Vaporeon, Sylveon, Artemis, and Dragonair. Treble is an omnivore, but she can't survive on berries alone, either. How are the carnivores gonna eat?"

Kianna took another look around the room. Cassie was right; with such a diverse group of Pokémon, satisfying their appetites would require an equally diverse selection of foods. "Hmm... Goodra, darling? You know best when it comes to food. How do we solve this?" Goodra must've been waiting to be addressed; she had an answer already. "Cassie's got a great point. We'll definitely need meat. I'll see what I can find while I'm out shopping, but I suggest we try a Pokémon Centre." "The nearest one is packed," Pachirisu noted. All eyes were on her now. "Besides, it's not a restaurant, Goodra. The only one of us in need of a Pokémon Centre is Vaporeon, and she can't go on her own." That was most assuredly a terrible choice of words. Vaporeon glared daggers at her. "I'm right here, you know! And I'm not a carnivore. I'm a piscivore."

Across the table, Dragonair giggled. "Sweetie, your sexual preferences are none of our business; we're talking about food." Whether that was meant as a joke or not, Treble and Sylveon both cracked up. Goodra, however, was wholly unamused. "Girls, please grow up." Her chiding earned her a look at the tongues of both of her targets. Ruri stepped in to quell the tension in the room. But not before first sighing, spitting a cloud of vapour into the air from the coldness of the breath of the Alolan Ninetales. "Dragonair, 'piscivore' means she mostly eats fish." "Well, that complicates things," Cassie said. Both Goodra and Vaporeon shook their heads, but Goodra gestured towards Vaporeon, giving her the floor. "Thank you, Goodra. Cass, it's not an issue. The waters around here are full of Magikarp! Even I could catch a few.~"

It was decided. Wigglytuff would make a trip to the flower shop. Goodra would go shopping, primarily for meat. Vaporeon insisted on fishing, accompanied by Dragonair and Cassie. However, she was denied each time. Bellossom, Pesky, and Artemis would try to find a way into Ilex Forest. If they could get in, it'd be a gold mine of food! They had intended to bring Pachirisu, but, realising the electricity to the house would eventually be cut off for unpaid bills, Kianna thought it best to keep an Electric type around. Besides, she would be needed to keep up with any emergency broadcasts. Finally, with their charm and overall aura of elegance, Ruri and Sylveon decided to be the ones to attempt to get food from the Pokémon Centre. The others would remain home, readying their shelter in case of another storm.

As she plodded down the sidewalk, Wigglytuff felt almost glad for the poor weather. If only it hadn't taken her master from her, she would've enjoyed it. Obviously, with her thick layer of fat, Wigglytuff had difficulty with hot weather. The sky, as she set her deep blue eyes on it, was grey and cloudy. The air was cool and humid, ruffling her fur gently as it blew against the vibrant pink fluff. Her nose twitched as it picked up the light floral scent in the air; she was close. The scent grew stronger as Wigglytuff continued her trek. Berries definitely sounded good; it seemed to her like far too long since she had last eaten. Luckily, she could see the storefront in the distance. Anybody living at the Delphox's residence would recognise it. Especially considering the shop's proximity to the city's Pokémon Gym. The building itself was painted a pale pink, except for the brownish-red balcony. Predictably, the balcony was decorated with a painting of a stunning yellow rose. Just beneath the balcony, like a skirt, hung an awning with alternating red and white stripes. "Goldenrod Flower Shop" was spelled out on a sign beside the gaudy building, done in what looked like pastel paint, flaking from exposure and age. The shop's motto was painted on the backside of the sign. "A small shop providing lots of beauty." Thankfully, the shop was in business, despite the weather. Wigglytuff opened the door.

"Damn this weather!" Sylveon cursed. "The humidity is absolute murder on my hair!" She put a paw through her flowing pink locks, wincing in disgust as she felt a tangle. "Sylvie, we're going to look for food; not a date!" Ruri scolded her. With deft paws, Sylveon fixed her hair as well as the weather would allow. "And we can't do both at once because...?~" Sylveon's voice had a bit of a bounce to it, ironically like her well-kept hair. Her speech was just shy of making her sound airheaded. Ruri's face told paragraphs. "Relax," Sylveon told her preemptively. "I'm not THAT stupid, or selfish. Just trying to diffuse some tension, hun.~" After that, the duo was quiet. The weather was nice for a quiet stroll, if only the circumstances were different. It wasn't until they were a couple of blocks away from the Pokémon Centre that Ruri brought an issue to light. "Don't we look a bit too well-off to be begging for food?" "Well-off?" Sylveon repeated. Ruri gave her a look of disbelief. "Honey, did you by chance look in a mirror before we left?" "And this morning, and after breakfast, lunch, my afternoon nap, and dinner," Sylveon replied. Ruri rolled her eyes, trying to stifle a giggle. "Don't be cheeky. My point is, you don't look like a beggar." Sylveon, in contrast, made no attempt at not laughing. "Thanks, sweetie; I try my best. You're not exactly ugly yourself, though. Not to mention, you're definitely not wearing rags." Ruri didn't have a comeback for that. Or, at least, not one that wouldn't cause a scene. Her silence was taken by Sylveon as a sign to continue. "I'm a maid." As she said that, she gestured towards her ornate uniform as though it had only just appeared on her. "I could just say that my master was injured in the storm, and sent me out to gather food." Again, the Alolan Ninetales was silenced. She hated to admit it, but Sylveon beat her to a good idea.

"Maybe we shoulda let Vappy come along." The suggestion came from Cassie as she and Dragonair looked out at the choppy waters. "And have her blood on your paws and my tail?" Dragonair asked. Cassie rolled her eyes, paws clenched on a fishing rod, the bobber of which was sunken beneath the murky sea. "The fresh air might do her some good, y'know." The Lucario turned to face her friend and housemate. "Besides, she wasn't too sick to bitch Sylveon and I out earlier. She's pretty hot headed for a Water type, and I don't mean from a fever.~" "Shame on you, Cass," Dragonair said, though her tone was more playful than scolding. "Think about this from her perspective." Despite chiding, Cassie still had one last jab left. "I'd love to, Draggie, but I'm afraid I can't seem to find my pacifier and rattle.~" "Just fish, will you?" Dragonair groaned, getting a genuine laugh from Cassie. "Relax; I'm just fucking around. I know how sick she is. I'm not helping her because I have to, or because it's the right thing to do." Dragonair kept her attention on the canine, but was simultaneously biting into a Magikarp for a quick, humane kill. The ones caught by the Lucario were quickly subdued by paw spikes. "I'm helping her because I consider her a friend. A dear friend." Admittedly, this was a strange conversation to have while killing several Magikarp. It wasn't as though they had a choice, though, nor was it the case that Vaporeon would be the only one eating what the two of them caught. Among all of the girls, and the lone boy, the ones who enjoyed seafood numbered highly. Between both girls, their catches were sufficient to feed those that partook for at least a week.

Pachirisu's radio didn't lie. Of the 3 Pokémon sent out to search Ilex Forest, neither one could even see the entrance. Not only were several downed trees in the way, but signs were set up. Neon orange signs, fitted with lights that intermittently flashed an amber light as a warning clearly visible in the foggy night. Obviously, getting in through there would be impossible for all but Pesky, who certainly wasn't going to leave his friends behind. So that left an indirect approach. Artemis and Bellossom tried their best to look inconspicuous as they sat on a bench just outside the Day Care Centre. Seeing a Braixen in the wild is rare, but seeing an anthropomorphic Bellossom in a boldly coloured maid's uniform is certainly enough to turn heads. Pesky's return - he had gone ahead to scout for other openings through which they could get into the forest - couldn't come fast enough. It seemed ages before Artemis unsheathed her wand and pointed it at the sky. "Bellossom, he's coming!" Bellossom, who, until that point, had been nervously tugging at her lacy sleeves, breathed a sigh of relief as she joined Artemis in welcoming their friend back. "Good news, I hope," Artemis said. With a smirk, Pesky turned his head, as a way to gesture to something behind him. "The playground of the Day Care Centre has an opening. Only problem is, it's fenced off, and locked, so the little ones don't wander off. Any chance you girls can pick locks?"

Artemis gave a soft chuckle and ran a paw up the length of her wand. Sparks danced in the air around the tip, illustrating what she was about to say. "Not with any subtlety; no. Left to me, we'd get caught for sure. How about you, Bellossom? You work in the garden. Don't you have hedge trimmers? We could probably cut a hole in the fence with them." Bellossom huffed, gesturing to her elegant dress similarly to how Sylveon had done before. "Where would I keep them?! And can't you just teleport us in?" "Into the playground, sure," Artemis replied. "But I'm not risking teleporting us into the forest. I don't know the layout; if I fuck up, we'll get impaled on branches or something when we reappear." Not ready to admit defeat just yet, Pesky offered another idea. "Alright; so we can't pick the lock, or cut the fence. Maybe we can cut the lock?~" Since he was looking in the Braixen's direction, she was the one to respond. "I don't follow." "From what I could tell, it was just a simple padlock," Pesky explained. "Apply some heat to it, and it should break. Then, once we get through-" "You can weld it back together, Artemis!" Bellossom finished. Pesky nodded. "Yes! Exactly." Artemis looked down at her wand. More of a stick, taken from a tree near where she evolved. She could certainly generate enough heat to penetrate metal. But could she be pinpoint enough to do it without collateral damage? She had practised before, with pieces of scrap metal in settings where the melted remains wouldn't pose a danger. Finally, she nodded. "Alright. I'm in!"

*Author's note*

It's finally here! Chapter 2! Here, we get a bit of a deeper look into the friendship our characters share. And yes, I know it's weird that they're acting like the world's about to be in danger, even though nothing is happening. Well, that's based on how animals seem to just know when shit's about to go down. I put Artemis, Pesky, and Bellossom together because they each have their own important survival skills. Pesky can fly, and knows what Berries are safe. Artemis can start fires and fight off possible predators. And Bellossom can warn the others of dangerous plant life, such as toxic mushrooms and poison ivy. Sylveon and Ruri are on a team because they can use their beauty to get food. Dragonair can swim, and Cassie is a tomboy, so that makes them a good team for fishing. Goodra and Wigglytuff aren't putting themselves in any danger, so I had them each go alone.

The "Miss Bianca" I compared Kianna to is a character from a series of books by Margery Sharp. She is a brave yet elegant mouse, of Hungarian descent, who works together with a mouse named Bernard to save others, typically those who have been enslaved or unjustly imprisoned. She's likely better known from the 2 Disney movies that "star" her. The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under. The following is an example of the ability to change the minds of others with mere elegance, which I used in the comparison. An excerpt from the second book in the series, titled simply "Miss Bianca."

There was ever the air about her, however modestly she bore herself, of a V.I.P. (or Very Important Person) such as police forces, far from consuming, turn out guards of honor for. As Miss Bianca entered Tyrant's and Torment's quarters, both bloodhounds rose smartly to their feet and saluted!

I hope you all liked this chapter; I definitely wanna keep going, but there's no point if nobody likes it.~ And a big thanks to @SMFoxy for their continued support.~

• Senior Staff

A really great second chapter. It's actually building up really well, in terms of pacing.
Some good characterisation, well thought out team ups, and I love the reference with Kianna/Bianca.

I think my favourite line/section in the whole thing is definitely the exchange with Vaporeon and Dragonair (I won't specify here; it's not really a spoiler, but people should read and find it on their own). Especially since, with some of the stuff I've read/seen in my lifetime, it almost certainly could be. xD

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far, and I'm looking forward to chapter three. Keep it up!

Archived