Master Bedchamber

It was certainly a glorious day over Pine Heath,  the mountain town of Montana, isolated from all others. The went of course went on, and as the sun settled below the Western hills, the moon was already rising above the East. As dusk settled and all went to sleep, the Blackthorne Castle would arise for their activities.  Vampires, such a trivial and complex group of creatures, once Human now cannibalistic undead of the night still had that "Human" that lurked beneath the skin. For those new to the game, it was an unstable gift at best, a curse at worst, but in time they would better hold it. For those who had been playing, their power only grew, however amongst the Family was the eldest. 

Walking through the halls of Castle Blackthorne where a variety of maids, Butlers, servant's, and of course the Family personnel or "security" if one called it that. Amongst those clad in cloths of blacks and reds, one such individual passed by each of them, and all he passed gave a short bow in greeting of the progressing night; the man had long gray hair with cold blue eyes, a suit that was pure white with a blue tie. Oddly, there was a white cloth covering his mouth and neck, tight enough to stay but not annoyingly so. In one hand he held perfectly a silver platter of food, and of course, a small bottle of blood all covered by a lid. Of course, those who noticed the man also noticed the twin katanas hilted to his left side. 

His destination was one that he chose every night, for the past twenty years he had done this time and time again, his services given to the Blackthorne Family with an undying loyalty and servitude.  Becoming the Head Butler or Head of the Estate, loyal servant and advisor and council, their personal grim reaper. A friend. The man stopped at the beautifully carved oak door, presented themselves, and gave five hard knocks with a white glove covered hand. Without warning, he entered the room and closed it behind him, turning and walking toward a desk-table. He would set the platter on the pie e of furniture.  

"Mistress Blackthorne," The Butler said softly but with firmness behind it, a soft smile painted behind the cloth, "I trust you are awake? I would hate to test my singing voice on someone as critical as you."

A faint smell of smoke hung within the air of the Master Bedchamber, radiating off the sole occupant of the massive room. It was one of those rare moments in which Alicia had managed to catch a nap. She had been up for weeks working upon her newest project: an improved flashbang grenade designed with werewolves in mind. Unfortunately it had quite literally blown up in her face only a few hours ago. Having chalked the failure up to her tiredness, she had elected to sleep. Thankfully Toshiro would find her here today, and not down within her private lab.

She had fallen asleep in the nude, which was of course her go-to state. Clothes just made it more uncomfortable. However she had caught the man's approach. Even in her sleep she could smell the food and, just as importantly, the blood. Before his fist had even made contact with the door she was already sitting up. When the old Vampire entered the frail, naked girl cast him a tired wave.

"Toshiro."

Slowly she dragged herself from the bed, arms stretching out overhead. A couple of wispy black bats burst to life nearby, little claws gripping at the shoulders of a silken robe. While she made her slow approach towards the desk-table they fluttered over to her, gently dropping the article of clothing upon her shoulders before they burst into nothingness. Arms were pushed into sleeves. She didn't bother closing it. He had seen her naked countless times before. There was nothing to be ashamed about.

"There will be no need of that. Anything happen while I slept?"

• Like 1

It wasn't the first time he had seen Alicia nude, it wouldn't be the last either. The body was just a body, outside of "love" of course, and Ito Toshiro viewed it just as that. He had never taken it upon himself to advance on his Mistress nor did he intend to in the future, if she so desired it he would help her between bathing, dressing, feeding and all the sorts his duty called for. The Butler gazed at her for a moment as she asked her question, nodding, he watched the Mistress lazily get out of bed commenting on his singing. 

Toshiro smirked, replying as the Mistress tiredly stepped toward the desk. The Butler took the lid off of the platter and says, "You should sit down and eat first," Then he takes the wine bottle and pours the mixed contents of blackberry and blood into a tall glass, "Honey roasted salmon topped with garlic roasted lemons, with of course a cherry and honey glaze; a side of risotto and steamed asparagus that have a garlic butter sauce for them." 

As soon as Alicia sat down and started her meal,  Toshiro's soft voice was heard again, "Recently in the past week we have received numerous tips about a vampire operation in Westport, nothing big, but if suppliers and allies are harmed and of course with the added tread upon the Family, they will be dealt with accordingly. I see no alternative with them, Fledgling abusing their power more or less. Vernon Botkin, master of House Vaelin, has reclaimed the clan in Akaska due to his son's... Unfortunate circumstance." 

The Butler set a pair of fangs on the corner of the desk, evidence of the "circumstance" the previous head had suffered for the ladt time, "House Vaelin could have been a great ally for us to expand with, possibly even absorbing them. But alas it seems their former leader's arrogance and threats to the Blackthorne Estate has finally caught up to him. Courtesy, of your's truly. As far as wolf kin go, nothing besides our scouts grazing each other, no collisions as of yet, not while they're still weak. And we have brought in new personnel,  the group of Humans I had personally trained are now guards of the Family, they have received gifts and pay raises accordingly. "

Dragging herself up into the plush silken chair, Alicia waited patiently for the finishing touches to be made to her meal. She knew how Toshiro was, how any noble was really. It wasn't a role that she was excited to play, but it was one she accepted none the less. Such a thing included these sorts of formalities. Lidded platters. Fine wines. Luxurious meals. She could do without them, but to do so would lessen the prestige of her name. Not that anyone was keeping tabs of her here while she feasted in the nude, but one never could be too careful. Besides, it still went down better than gruel, and it certainly did contain more nutrients.

It would feel rude not to indulge after so much hard work has been put into it.

Her fork and knife were taken up. She tried each piece of the meal separately first. Then, while she listened to Toshiro's updates, she gave each pairing a shot. "Delicious as always" she complimented softly so as not to speak over her loyal servant's words. Wine mixed with blood was nice, of course, but typically always overpowering. As such, she tended to save it for last.

The food had been devoured quite efficiently by the time Toshiro had finished his report. A napkin was taken up and gently dabbed against her lips. Then she picked up the glass of blood wine, swirling it gently around within its container. "A shame that it came to that. Oh well. The others will know better now."

She could always count on him for a job well done. How else would he have been able to serve their family for so long? Those who were inefficient did not last. A sip was taken while she pondered upon the other subject at hand.

The wolves. Scouts meeting one another. No conflicts. Good, but also boring. They were weak now. Had she been more ruthless she'd have utilized this moment to wipe them out. Luckily for them, she held a soft spot for the mutts. Well, perhaps soft spot was a bit much. A curiosity! Yes. That fit better.

Lowering her glass, Alicia's lips twisted into a grin. Toshiro had also expanded their security forces? "Perhaps a renegotiation is in order. A tightening of the collar, as it were."

• Like 1

"Well... About that," Toshiro started with the bad news, "We're low on recruits and soldiers as it is. Unfortunately there was a mutiny while you were away in your chambers. Many needless lives were lost unfortunately my lady, both Human and Vampire. While we have an edge over the Midnight Pack thanks to our magic, the staff we have are mostly Human. Thralls and standard employed castle personnel, since our last conflict with the Midnight Pack our troop morale has been at a low, loyalties questioned, hence the mutiny."

Toshiro's weren't of anger, but still carried that softness about it. Alicia was not her father although she did try to fit the role better. A lack of noble presence and more head in the sciences contributed did not to that. He had a slight mourn to the variety of turncoat, they could have left but the demand in change of leadership by force was what drove the loyalists to execute and skirmish with their counterparts. It lasted for only a night, and the Butler made certain no one got past him.whime guarding Alicia. 

"If I may, "Renegotiating," Is not what we should be doing. Approaching them now would gube the Alpha, The Windcaller, incentive to take advantage of our situation. I would suggest allowing the Midnight Pack to their own doings, I had a Mistwalker retrieve some important data after they had watched the wolves for a half month. The Pack has no intentions of pushing forward, as they seem to be in the same debacle as we are albeit fir different purposes. They're content, as the territories are evenly balanced. I can begin training New Bloods, however it will take time before our forces reach even a fraction of our potential. "

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1

Her brow furrowed slightly at the news. A mutiny?!? How long had she been asleep this time? Certainly longer than she'd thought. That meant she hadn't been feeding properly. Again. This wasn't going to help her frail stature. Oh well. Perhaps that was for the better. It'd be easier for her to catch others off guard.

"So there was a mutiny. Perhaps you should have started with that."

Another long sip was taken from her drink. She wasn't upset at him. Clearly a lot had transpired. He had performed admirably in her absence which, given who it was, was to be expected. Was it because she wasn't her father? They were down primarily to Humans now. They wouldn't be of too much assistance against the wolves. Morale was low as well.

She listened quietly to his words, finishing off her glass during his suggestion. Setting it down, she relaxed back within her seat, casting her gaze now towards her loyal servant. Pondering. Plotting. Calculating what she expected each of their forces to be at, given the information she'd been given. A few things he'd said had bothered her.

"If morale is low then now is the perfect time to strike. They need some show of force, do they not? And the wolves being content with the situation is not what I desire. If they become content then they will forget that they are trespassers. No, they should be on edge. They should remember their place."

Sitting up, Alicia's thin arms stretched overhead. Her head tilted back, chest pushed out while she further extended the stretch, sighing contently at the results. Then she flopped back into the chair, sinking comfortably against it.

"If I am careful, I should be able to do it myself. Unless I am missing something else?"

Could she force the issue? Of course. That was her authority. And sure, he was older, but she was pretty confident in her own abilities. But that would be a complete waste of the man's talents and, just as importantly, his experience. She wasn't some arrogant fool. No, she appreciated good counsel.

"By the way, what is it that you desire Toshiro? Surely there must be something."

• Like 1

"If that is what you wish," Toshiro replies, "Again, I do advise against such ill actions. As much as I would hate to bring up the past, Mistress Blackthorne,  your father didn't rely on blind attacks in times like these,  he relied on reinforcing morale via being involved with the Castles ongoings and giving support. If we are to engage in warfare with the Midnight Pack, have we forgotten the new Coven of vampires in Westport? Or how about the rumors of a slowly growing pack of wolves there as well? Maybe an affiliated Coven of ours will turn on us? Perhaps once we are done, those groups become organized and run a Assaut de l'ombre, attacking Castle Blackthorne whilst our attention is elsewhere?" 

Toshiro noticed how relaxed the Mistress was, but he also knew the distress he had caused and the fury that was now swelling. But, there was hope yet, "While I am confident in your abilities, remember that the Wolves are smarter even than many of our own kind in some ways. Cunning and numbers, that is where they have us despite taking a population blow. Let's not forget the Alpha either, while you could fight him he isn't just strong, he's extremely fast. This is the time where you  observe, learn, and rebuild the bridges we lost this year. Turn to the politics of things in your home, a strong nation without confidence in its cause is doomed to fail, my lady. I have fought wars, in most of Asia, some of Europe, and plenty in the America's, it'll take time, but the Wolves know not to trespass on our territory. A war would ruin both sides to no return. But once we're back to strength? Then we enforce that leash." 

Toshiro smiled, explaining the advice abd advances in life. Life is what he called it, ironically.  Seventeen Hundred years of it, and he had seen brash Vampiric lords older than Alicia act just as brash. Though she is teetering on a thousand now, she still has much to learn. No, she wasn't her father, but she could take the late Masters knowledge and wisdom and utilize it, even improving upon it. Upon hearing Alicia ask Toshiro what he desired, he chuckled abd shook his head, "I am a very simple man, not much is needed when you live old. The only thing I desire is for careful consideration in these trying times. Perhaps there is something.  You see I tend to my Bonded, or Thrall as we call them, recently there is a dress she had been looking at in the latest catalogue of Kanto Bride Beauties... Ehm, page forty I believe, she's been wanting it but it's quote pricey."

• Love 1

'If that is what you wish.'

She knew the true meaning of those words, at least coming from Toshiro. What he really meant to say was 'Sure, but-'. That was usually followed by some valuable insight, and typically that insight went against what she had been hoping to do. It wasn't a bad thing, of course. She welcomed criticism. Scientific studies thrived upon it, after all. But that didn't mean she had to like it. Worse still, he was usually right. That was the case this time as well.

New Vampires in Westport. Another pack of wolves. The other covens might detect their weakness, might attempt to use it against them. Politics was the play here, as much as she might detest it. Her father had been good with that sort of thing. Alicia, having spent her many, many years on other pursuits, was not. She knew this. It was a weakness and, in times like these, a big one. Thankfully she had Toshiro around to correct it.

Father. Why did you have to go and get yourself maimed?

Disappointment was etched upon her face. Where to even start? Perhaps she calls everyone together. Assesses things from there. Yes, that wouldn't be a terrible idea. Her expression softened while she listened to the man's words. He wanted a dress for his thrall. A bridal dress? Alicia arched a brow, turning her gaze towards him.

"You would spend a favor on a thrall?"

What would others think of her approving of such an expenditure? Possibly nothing good, considering what it was for. But then perhaps this was a good way to test loyalties, to put out feelers. Besides, if a dress was all that Toshiro wanted then who was she to deny that to him? He had certainly earned far more than that.

"Very well. You have my permission. Perhaps tonight we host a dinner. Gather who we do have."

She paused. A thought lingered within her mind. Her mischievous smile returned. Politics. A graceful show of force, not just to those around herself, and not just towards outsiders looking in, but also towards their little wolf coven. "Perhaps invite the Alpha. Just the Alpha. Not the whole pack."

If he rejected her offer then she could chalk it up to cowardice. A show of good will thrown back in her face. Perhaps his pack might think the same. Or perhaps they might think that she held ill intentions. That would be fine enough. Seeing their reaction would be just as fruitful. And if he accepted it? She could gather intel. Size him up. Perhaps give him some false hope. As unlikely as it was, they might even come to some sort of peaceful agreement. Or she could toy with him. Force him to take action. He would be alone within their castle and, with their numbers, he would be put down. On the other hand, he could attempt to kill her. This too she could use to her advantage, to point towards the aggressiveness of their kind, perhaps even set up for a play against the other Vampires if she played her hand right!

Speaking of which, the others would see the Alpha of a pack summoned before her. They would see that she was comfortable enough to be within his presence, to feed her enemy and to sit with him. Yes. That would be a proper show of force, without violence. It would give her own people a chance to see their greatest foe, to size him up. Sure, he would see her kin, but they were wolves. It wasn't as though they couldn't tell outright. And, in the future, should the wolves be attack by an outside party? Well, then she would have set the groundworks for plausible deniability.

Plus, maybe I can steal some of his blood. That would be a useful thing to study.

• Love 1

"Hm... An invitation to help reassure the safety of ourselves whilst ensuring them safety... It seems like a half decent idea, my Mistress. I have my doubts he would show, but these are trying times for either of our factions. I will make the arrangements, however to ensure that our guest would feel safe, I will only have our Mistwalkers and Nightstalkers present, only to avoid a bloodbath should he go rampant." Toshiro bowed and then exited the room. 

Indeed, these were trying times.  And an interesting night. Toshiro would send a maid to retrieve a particular Mistwalker who he relied on sometimes. Though the Butler knew thr vampires true nature, he was resourceful to say the least.  

• Love 1

Toshiro had readily agreed to her idea. It must have been a good one. Not that it was surprising, most of her ideas were good. She wouldn't make for a very well-received leader if they weren't! But she trusted Toshiro to be open with her as well, and she trusted his counsel.

"Very good."

Once the man had departed Alicia stood to her feet, arms stretching out overhead. An old tome was snatched up and glasses were set upon her face. A bath would be good. There wasn't any point in going out today. If she ran into a wolf in the forest then it would sour things before their meeting. Who knows? They might come to some agreeable terms. Provided he showed, of course.

With that, she departed from her room, not even bothering to close her robes. Behind her the doors locked shut.

• Love 1