General OOC Discussion!

First off welcome! I know it's very bare bones around here but I working on getting things situated around here! There will be a general overview with information about the ship, the crew, and our overall goals! But I started with this topic first because I wanted to be able to answer any questions that may be relevant for the general overview and provide a FAQ section to it. The best way to do that is open the board up for discussion. No club is perfect, but I want to provide an environment where everyone can feel like their voice is heard and they have some input on the overall story.

First off, we are a colony ship from Earth, the first of its kind! Our mission is to scout for the nearest inhabitable world, build and maintain a successful colony, and send a signal back to Earth that humans have finally reached the stars!

99% of the colonists and crew are frozen in cryostasis. The crew takes shifts of one year searching for worlds, and resources, while also serving as maintenance for the ship and acting as explorers. Our story begins five years into the ship's mission, and we will be the next crew to take over the duties for the next 365 days. We will explore space, and find strange worlds and occurrences! But our mission will always be the same, to find a new home for humanity!

So I look forward to meeting all of you, let's start with some questions I've already been asked.

"Can I be an alien?" - Yes, I have left the history of earth to be vague for the exact reason I didn't want to hinder the creativity of potential crew members. If you want to be an alien assisting a human colony ship, we're happy to have you! The same goes for those of you who wish to play as an android or sex bot, lol.

"Do I need to be Tech savy? I don't know much about sci-fi" -  So I wanted this to be a very friendly environment, even to those who don't typically take part in sci-fi adventures. The ship runs on what I enjoy calling "80s Sci-fi tech"  what that means, is, that we don't talk about the tech and best part is... if you don't know how something works, it can always just be broken because as we all know in 80s sci-fi.... everything breaks.

"What kind of crewmembers do you need?" - Each shift has a certain ambiguous number of personnel but as for roles I've made a few that could be filled. Red will be roles I'd like to have filled, but Blue are suggested roles to bring some diversity. ^_^
Pilot
Sensors/Communications Officer
Security
Cook
Medical Officer
Biologist
Mechanics/Techs

Botanist
Geologist
Janitor

We are open to more roles, just ask!

Anyways, this will be expanded as we get more questions and activity! I look forward to seeing you all!

• Woohoo 1

15 minutes ago, BanditKing said:

Reporting for duty! I can either play as security or as the mechanic/tech! Permission to come aboard, captain?!

Either are available still. Don't mind me, I'm just in a constant struggle to find a good picture for my character.   Happy to have you, and I hope everyone enjoys themselves here.

For the rest of you, I present a request. We are five years into this expedition, making us the fifth crew waking up. Your characters don't have to be overly familiar, but feel free to reach out and talk to one another and bounce character ideas at one another. ICly we don't have to know everything about one another but we won't be strangers either. ^_^

• Like 1

Funny thing is, I wonder if Sensors/Communication role was left there for me. (And sorry, I am not trying to sound like a narcissist or anything). I remember that we had this discussion about involving Warning (who is a communication bot who screams alert for when something's wrong or even when something's mildly off, for herself or others), so I imagine that if I ever involved her into this, this is where she would fit. She does into linguist and alert communicated to the crew.

• Love 1

Just now, Warning said:

Funny thing is, I wonder if Sensors/Communication role was left there for me. (And sorry, I am not trying to sound like a narcissist or anything). I remember that we had this discussion about involving Warning (who is a communication bot who screams alert for when something's wrong or even when something's mildly off, for herself or others), so I imagine that if I ever involved her into this, this is where she would fit. She does into linguist and alert communicated to the crew.

While I 100% will say it wasn't intentional. I can't think of a better character for the role. 😛

Question: will you be adding other rooms to the rp for in case one person visits another in their workplace? Like let’s say a crew mate needs to go to the med bay and speak with the doc because they accidentally stabbed their own hand with a spork.

2 hours ago, BanditKing said:

Question: will you be adding other rooms to the rp for in case one person visits another in their workplace? Like let’s say a crew mate needs to go to the med bay and speak with the doc because they accidentally stabbed their own hand with a spork.

There is a topic limit on club sadly. So I will probably need to edit one of the tab descriptions to include the medical bay.

Also I'm sorry for how slow going this has been with updates. My weekend is Monday and Tuesday, and I spent the entire time freaking out because I thought I was going to lose my job today. Fortunately I'm still employed for now.

Unfortunately that means my updates regarding the club will not be as fast as I would like but I promise just because I may take a day or two doesn't mean I've abandoned it. If I vanish for 6+ months that's another story. Lol

Now, everyone, I wanted to let you guys have some input on something.

I typically hate structured profiles, but due to the nature of this club and how the shift crew are all going to be somewhat familiar with one another, a structured profile approach works best.

What do yall think of this:

Name: 

Position:

Sexuality:

Physical description:

Public Bio: This will be what is publically written in your ship dossier, meaning everyone has access to it. All shift crewmembers are given dossiers of their crewmates so what is written here will essentially be public knowledge. Where you grew up, how you did in school, military background ect.

Private Bio: this is where you'd put things that would not be public information, but you may want potential rp partners to know about your character. Do they suffer from chronic nightmares? We're they arrested but had their records cleaned? Anything interesting.

Is there anything anyone would like added? We are in the active building phase so I want to stress, there are no wrong answers.

• Like 1

I like the bio idea. And don’t stress about the updates @Mysthero. We all should have patience with each other as this will be a group effort. 

As for the topic sections, yeah I was gonna suggest doubling or tripling up on areas that way different occupations would have a place for their rps and it may make finding things easier. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Warning said:

lol... I did not make the bio or anything yet (I suck at bio so much) but it's funny that this is the accepted information. I mean, I was fully willing to commit into it anyway so yeah. I'll try and make some page or etc. ><

It might be helpful to simply follow Myst’s suggestions for a bio: 

Name: 

Position:

Sexuality:

Physical description:

Public Bio: This will be what is publically written in your ship dossier, meaning everyone has access to it. All shift crewmembers are given dossiers of their crewmates so what is written here will essentially be public knowledge. Where you grew up, how you did in school, military background ect.

Private Bio: this is where you'd put things that would not be public information, but you may want potential rp partners to know about your character. Do they suffer from chronic nightmares? We're they arrested but had their records cleaned? Anything interesting.

Correct, so I need to get a brief background up (which depending on my availability may be up tonight)

After that we can all start waking up.

I figured to make things simple I will have a breakfast briefing where all our characters can mingle after their 5 year nap before going off and doing their own things. I will also post a vote for our first club mission once everyone gets situated.

• Woohoo 1

18 minutes ago, Mysthero said:

I figured to make things simple I will have a breakfast briefing where all our characters can mingle after their 5 year nap before going off and doing their own things. I will also post a vote for our first club mission once everyone gets situated.

The interesting thing about this part is that Warning wouldn't actually sleep as she is the alert unit of the ship. She needs to fuel herself through food or whatever but she can probably do so on her own. (Plugging) She might also have gotten directives about the sleeping crew whether something was so important or not that she would wake someone up but this can be ignored as we can see it as "nothing happened." and the crew just wake up to her taking "care" of the place.

Edited by Warning
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Warning said:

The interesting thing about this part is that Warning wouldn't actually sleep as she is the alert unit of the ship. She needs to fuel herself through food or whatever but she can probably do so on her own. (Plugging) She might also have gotten directives about the sleeping crew whether something was so important or not that she would wake someone up but this can be ignored as we can see it as "nothing happened." and the crew just wake up to her taking "care" of the place.

If you'd like, that would make you a permanent crewmember. Meaning you have been active and working since launch. So you have spent the last five years working with the different crew shifts and now you get to meet shift number 5. ^_^ would you like that?

30 minutes ago, Mysthero said:

If you'd like, that would make you a permanent crewmember. Meaning you have been active and working since launch. So you have spent the last five years working with the different crew shifts and now you get to meet shift number 5. ^_^ would you like that?

A bit of history for Warning (taken from the source), her real name (Model) is SRK. But warning is a nickname given because she can't shut up about alerts. XD But yes, she is an anthroid. Anthro/android. She could just be active with low maintenance at any time. Assuming I don't use any other anthroids, she would be the first thing to welcome them or the commander, at the very least. But yes, she could find them waking up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1