What Is Your Favorite Book/Book Series?

Hiya!

I don't usually post on the forums since I'm extremely anti-social and don't know how to properly interact outside of EcchiText, but I wanted to give this a shot to get out of my comfort zone. 

So the big question is: What Is Your Favorite Book/Book Series?

The first book series that I ever read was... Vampire Academy. It's probably the most generic thing to read for a tween girl at the time. At least it wasn't Twilight- kinda dodged a bullet on that one.

But to fully answer the question, my favorite book series would be Maximum Ride series from James Patterson. Realistically, though, any book made by him (especially the Alex Cross series) would instantly make me buy it and read it. The Maximum Ride series actually became a comic as well and I own all the volumes since I'm such a try-hard fan 😂

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I'm curious, though. What is your favorite book/book series? And what got you into reading?

Oh darn, you read Maximum Ride. I found those in my library and it was awesome. There are cute characters in it, especially one loli but yeah. I can't say I have lot of favorites but I used to read a lot and what I remember is old novels that I used to like a lot. Ellana series (and its mirror series, Ewilan.) But also Silverwings books which was a really enjoyable ride. I really want to read Maximum ride once again since I don't think I've ever finished it. I'll make sure to check the author for other books of his, too. The story of Maximum Ride felt enjoyable to get into.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Maximum ride in middle school! I've always been a huge James Patterson fan, his books were really fun to read and offered me a bit of an escape from my hectic life.

Some of my personal favorites are the All For the Game trilogy, The raven Boys series, Cemetery Boys, and Night Shift by Steven King!

I'm going to feel old, in part because my favorites published back when I was still a kid myself. My family has always been a group of readers, with several copies of Tolkien's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to be found in addition to C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. In fact, I basically grew up on the animated Tolkien-based animated films, preferring those over Disney most of the time.

When I got older, though, I found myself reading the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams in College, as well as The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. For very different reasons, these are likely both my favorite fantasy series. The first is very much a subversion of what is expected of the typical Tolkien-esque fantasy, but it does so without becoming absolutely nihilistic. It draws inspiration from different cultures to create an alternative to elves rather than just reinterpreting them, for example. It manages to be a brutal execution of the hero's journey without abandoning the concepts that make it what it is. Whereas other fantasy in the 80's and 90's and into today try and be more "grown up" by focusing on blood and violence and sex, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn was able to provide a more mature fantasy without diving into the grimdark, the nihilism, and over-the-top.

Death Gate Cycle is less Tolkien-esque but manages to be one of the most inventive fantasy franchises I've ever read. In fact, just talking about it makes me want to crack the first book open again. Despite being seven books, it's a far lighter read than Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Sadly, last I went into a Barnes & Nobles, it was far more difficult to get your hands on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The last book that I really enjoyed, couldn’t put down style, was Lost Boy by Christina Henry. Petter Pan from Hook’s perspectives. 

My favorite book is Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. It’s about a super model who gets her jaw blown off, then goes on a cross country road trip with her ex fiancé and a beautiful trans lady. I’m not someone who reads books over and over, but I have read Invisible Monsters over and over... I’ve read most of his books, and I also really dig Lullaby and Fight Club. 

Beyond that put a Clive Barker book in my hands and I’ll read the shit out of it. 

21 hours ago, PixiLust said:

The last book that I really enjoyed, couldn’t put down style, was Lost Boy by Christina Henry. Petter Pan from Hook’s perspectives. 

My favorite book is Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. It’s about a super model who gets her jaw blown off, then goes on a cross country road trip with her ex fiancé and a beautiful trans lady. I’m not someone who reads books over and over, but I have read Invisible Monsters over and over... I’ve read most of his books, and I also really dig Lullaby and Fight Club. 

Beyond that put a Clive Barker book in my hands and I’ll read the shit out of it. 

I just borrowed or put on hold a bunch of books thanks to this suggestion.

My absolute favourite book that I’ve read over and over again is The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

Archived