An Angel Loses Her Wings (SataiRolePlayingGuy x AirAllie14)

They came into town in the middle of the night, in the middle of a storm.  A group of 5 well armed men.  Maxim, prince of Zenis, a recently fallen kingdom, was on the run.  A kingdom fallen to the invading armies of Vanoria, to the south.  A long war, but one that ultimately was lost.  His father, the king, fell in battle after ordering him to escape, to find a way to avenge him and restore the kingdom.

The whole kingdom had fallen, its armies routed.  His companions, 4 bodyguards sworn to defend him to the death, were the last men loyal to him.  Last who would fight for him.  They had been fleeing as far as they could to the east.  Just trying to get distance between them and the enemy.

There was not much of a plan beyond that.  No good idea of where to start.  One the guards suggested finding a foreign court, one that might have a Princess willing to marry him, to help restore the kingdom and unite the realms by blood.

Maxim did not see that as a good option though.  It was unlikely such a princess would marry a prince without a kingdom.  Even if it worked, he would potentially be a puppet to the other kingdom in the end.

After securing his room for the night and eating, he and one of the guards walked down the street.  On the way they passed a small temple and he decided to seek any help he could get.  He walked inside, kneeling at the altar, praying to any god that would listen to him.  Calling out the injustice of Vanoria’s war of conquest, the death of his family.  End of an ancient kingdom.  He begged them to either help him restore it, or guide him to someone or something that could.

• Love 1

All was silent. For a moment, it seemed like Maxim’s prayers had been unanswered. As they got ready to leave howler, a bright light began to shine into the temple. The light began to grow and grow. As Maxim looked into the light, he could see something or someone beginning to manifest in the light. The light shone more and more until finally dissipating.

Everything was quiet once more. As Maxim opened her eyes, he would see someone before him, someone floating in the air, it was a girl with long light blue hair. She was dressed in a long white dress. Behind her looked like white feathered angle wings coming out of her back and floating a top her head was a glowing gold halo.

”Hello Maxim,” the woman spoke in her angelic voice. “I am Anahel. I have been sent here, to help you.”

• Love 1

When the light began to shine, Maxim knew he was getting some sort of answer and dropped back to his knees waiting.  Would it be a vision, advice/directions, the appearance of a holy being?  He had not imagined the prayer to be taken so seriously that an actually god would appear.  Though it quickly became clear that that was not going to be the case.  He looked up at the figure, awestruck.  Her aura was clearly that of an angel.  He had no doubt about that.  It was true he had led to believe angels generally had a more impressive figure, larger, often not even resembling humans.  This figure looked more like a little girl.  But he would not let appearances fool him.  This was clearly a divine being, one that could easily strike him down if he offended her or the god(s) that sent her.  "Holy Anahel, blessed angel, I thank you and whoever sent you to my aid."  Even one angel could make all the difference in restoring his kingdom.  More importantly, it was also a sign the gods of his goal and would help more if needed and he continued to deserve it.  He remained kneeling, in gratitude and respect to the holy being.  He would not risk offended her.  Her?  Well probably not.  Angels did not really have human gender, that's what the priests had always said anyway.  Anahel just had a body that resembled a young human girl in some ways.

• Love 1

Anahel looked down at the man, smiling and began to lower herself down until her soft pale, bare feet hit the ground. “Of your feet Prince Maxim… I have been sent here to aid you and I will do everything in my power to ensure that you complete your goal. I am here to serve however you would like,” Anahel said with a gracious bow. “I am at your service…”

• Love 1

Maxim stood up.  He still felt a little uneasy.  He was used to others showing him and loyalty.  But that was other humans.  An angel was the agent of the gods.  A higher being at least worthy of his respect.  “I am grateful for it.  Even one angel is more valuable than a human army.  I will not abuse this honor the gods have given me.  But I have to admit, I prayed in some desperation, I did not expect them to give me a blessing like this.  I have to consider how best to use your help.”  He had some idea of her power.  She could both temporarily empower him to match any hero of legend.  She could also strike down armies at range.  He did not want to rely on her too much.  But with her power, regaining his kingdom looked within reach.

• Love 1

Anahel smiled as Maxim’s words and the spark she seemed to have reinvigorated in him. She joined him the temple and wondered what his first plan of attack would be. Anahel had powers, she could definitely help him out anyway she could. She would sway the tide of this fight in an instant with her angelic powers but it was all up to Maxim.

• Love 1

A thought occurred to Maxim, that should be addressed before leaving the temple.  “Holy Anahel…” He was likely to call her things like that for awhile.  How could you not address a genuine angel in such a fashion.  “Forgive me if this is a disrespectful request.  But do you have the power to hide your angelic aspects?  Or just be invisible to those you do not wish to be seen by?  In battle it would be useful for you to reveal yourself.  But walking around this village, it would be easier not draw the attention of having an angel at my side.”  There would be times he would want others to know.  Undeniable proof the gods approved of his mission.  But here the only thing it would likely accomplished was make it hard to move around.

• Love 1

Anahel looked at Maxim and smiled. “Oh right. I suppose my appearance would be quite unnerving to some and would ruin our surprise. Here.” Once again, Anahel footed up into the air and began to speak what sounded like Latin. There was a small flash of light before Anahel said, “there we go, I should know only be visible to you and no other Prince Maxim.”

• Love 1

Well the one bodyguard had also seen her.  That would help.  Maxim intended to at least tell the rest of them.  Having a backup witness would help.  “Alright.  I’m going to regroup with the rest of my guard first.  We will probably need to sleep soon.  We traveled long to get here and all need rest.  I feel a lot more relieved knowing you are there, in case anyone does try to attack me.”  Him and his guard headed back to the inn, where he gave a brief summary of what happened, the guard with him swearing it was true.  They all felt relieved and honored that the gods confirmed the nobility of their mission.  With that they began preparing for bed.  He had own room, the guards were outside, still as extra precaution.  He was alone, other than Anahel.  “Angels do not have human needs, do they?  You have no need to eat, drink, or sleep, even breathe?  I hope it does not bother you too much to watch me sleep.”  He taken his shirt off, but did not intend to undress further.  Even without the angel’s presence, he likely would not have.

• Love 1

Anahel smiled and followed Maxim back to his camp, flying overhead above him. She watched as he explained what had happened to them. It felt strange, they not being to see her despite her being there. She wanted to give them a sign but would not unless Maxim wished it.

As Maxim retired to his room, Anahel joined him. She continued to float above him in the air. As he removed his shirt, she blushed a little but it was hard to see. “Yes… that it correct. I do not require the same needs as you mortals. I don’t mind however. It is my job to watch over you and protect you, you make sure no harm comes to you. I will see this through, to the best of my abilities.”

• Love 1

Maxim felt more protected than he ever had in his life.  Even back at the castle, before the war, there was always risk of assassination, by blade or arrow or poison.  All the guards in the castle and armies in the field could not guarantee protection. Now though he had divine protection, no mortal enemy at least had a chance of getting past Anahel.  “I swear I will not disappoint you or the gods for this blessing.”  He knelt at the bed and offered a prayer of gratitude to the gods, one he was not sure if Anahel could also hear.  As he finished, he decided to clarify that.  “Do you hear my thoughts as if they were words.  Or is that only within the gods’ power?”  It could be convenient if he could communicate with her that way, even if it meant his thoughts were no longer truly private.

• Love 1

Anahel smiled and said, “I know you won’t. That’s why I was sent here, because we believe in you.” Anahel then smiled and watched as Maxim began to pray. As Maxim finished up, the Angel blinked as she was presented with a curious question. “I can if I wanted to, though, I respect your privacy so I won’t. There is a spell for everything after all. All I have to do is use my magic and I can hear your inmost thoughts.”

• Love 1

Maxim was thankful it was not constant, but it was also very useful that it was an option to consider for later use.  “There may be times I want you to do that.  It would be especially convenient in battle, or other times I want to tell you something secretly.”  He began crawling into the bed.  “I am going to try to consider my next step as I wait for sleep.  See if I have a good first step for us to prepare for in the morning.  Good night, Holy Anahel.”  He laid down and closed his eyes, began trying to consider if they already attempt to retake one of the border towns of his kingdom.  Also to decide in what ways he wanted to use Anahel’s power.  Whether to have her openly reveal herself.

• Love 1

It was not especially long before Maxim fell asleep, comforted by the angel’s presence.  He slept well, untroubled by dreams, feeling new purpose and drive.  Confident he could regain his realm, bring justice to his enemies.  When he woke up he looked to the holy figure that watched over him.  He would discuss his strategy with her first, with his guard later.  But he had a question.  “Holy Anahel, before taking my next step, I want to be clear how much freedom I have.  How far you will fight for me.  How much freedom do I have to punish my enemies.  I have no intention to strike those who are willing to surrender.  With the possible exceptions of officers.  I have the gods’ blessing to strike down my enemies as I see fit, and to use your power to help do that?”  He not harm civilians of course, they were his people after all.  “Also, after I regain my kingdom, do I have the approval to take the war to Vanoria?  I do not intend to conquer it, but punish the kingdom who invaded my realm.”

• Love 1

Maxim had sweet dreams and it was all thanks to Anahel. She ensured that  his mind was filled with nothing but happiness. As he began to stir, Anahel smiled and greeted him, “good morning Prince Maxim.”

As he began to speak, she listened to his words and said, “well, you have as much freedom as you want. You have been given the freedom to enact the fury of God however you see fit. I will also serve you however you would like, I will do whatever you want. That is my purpose Prince Maxim. Does this answer your question? And yes, do you have permission to seek out any other kingdom you wish.”

Edited by AirAllie14
  • Love 1

Maxim had not expected to be given such a free hand.  He felt truly grateful to the gods.  He would give them a suitable offering when all of this was over.  Celebration, sacrifices, anything they needed.  “I do, holy Anahel, I do not have an army anymore.  I intend to inspire the people to gather to become one.  I need your help for that.”

”I intend to march with you and my guard back to Transac, the nearest border town of Zenis.  I will declare the support of the gods and show you as a symbol of that.  You can bless me?  To make move faster, stronger, than any man.  To resemble the heroes of legend?  I would ask for that.  I also ask you to use your to strike down enemy soldiers as they march.  Show them the gods support me.  I also give you permission to see into my mind at that point.  So we can communicate more easily.  Though is that a spell that wears off or can be cancelled after a time, or am I asking for something permanent there?”  She was the most important piece of his strategy currently.  She would know all his plans now before anyone else.

• Love 1

Anahel nodded along as she listened to Maxim. “Yes, I will March with you. I know together with my help and the blessing from God that we will win.” She then continued to nod and said, “yes, I can bless you, it will enhance all of your skills and I will use my abilities and spells as best I can to ensure our victory. I will strike down who I must…” she then began to explain her spell, “the spell can be cancelled anytime with your command. When the battle begins or before it, I will use it to link my mind to yours and let me hear your thoughts.

• Love 1

Maxim nodded.  "I will tell the others of the plan.  You can reveal yourself to them.  But we will wait until we apprach our destination before you show yourself to everyone."  He stepped out and gathered his guard.  Went over the next step of the plan.  The hope it was the first step in building an army and regaining their kingdom.  There was a little uneasiness.  To go against the entire Vanorian army on their own?  Even with an angel at their side it seemed too much?  "You have shaken, saw the Vanorians rip through our armies, strike my father down.  I'm sure they even took a number of our women and stronger men into slavery.  But have faith, Holy Anahel will unleash the wrath of the gods on them.  They will regret what they have done.  We know justice."  They seemed a little more reassured, but unsure just how powerful the angel was supposed to be.  "Let them see you at least, Holy Anahel."  The one had already seen her.  It would be best if the others did as well.  They would feel their doubt vanish when they saw the holy figure and felt her aura.

• Love 1

Anahel nodded and exited with Maxim. She was still invisible to all except for him. She floated there as he gave his speech to his soldiers until finally she smiled and undid her spell, revealing herself to the others. She floated there before them, her body and halo glowing, showing herself as a beacon of light that they needed.

• Love 1

The guards looked upon the angel.  A feeling you just knew you were looking at a higher being.  A symbol of hope.  A sign just maybe they could win this.  "His highness is right."  One said.  "What does it matter if its only one.  It is a sign we have blessed."  Another nodded in agreement.  "Vanoria attacked without provocation or mercy.  It is natural the gods would punish them."  Maxim turned towards the door.  "We will have justice, I will put Urbanus to the sword myself before I am done."  Emperor Urbanus of Vanoria.  That was the final target of his campaign.  To execute for him for his crimes in the name of his father, and apparently the gods as well.  "But first, we regain our home.  Restore my kingdom.  And we march for the first step in that campaign now."  He led them out the door and back down the roads they took the night before.  They were still in neutral territory for the moment, nether Zenis or Vanoria, but they were especially far from their first target.

• Love 1

Anahel smiled as she watched the soldiers. She could feel then getting inspired by her presence. She continued to listen to Maxim and nod along with his words. As they began to leave, she took to the sky flying above them before coming down next to Maxim, floating next to him as he walked.

• Love 1

The previous night they had been retreating, looking for a place to hide, to not be seen.  To get as far from Vanoria as they could.  Now they marched openly on the road, not scared of who saw them.  While they were confident of the angel's protection, the guard still kept their hands on their swords, out habit and duty but also a desire to do their own fighting if they had to.  They were all motivated to move quickly, without much feel of fatigue.  "If we keep this pace up we may reach Transac before the day is over.  I will announce myself when I reach their walls, when I announce I have the gods' blessing reveal yourself to anyone who can see.  Show us and them your power.  Strike down any soldiers on the walls or at the gate.  After that I will give anyone still inside an offer to surrender.  If they still want to fight, we will deal with any who march on us."  He announced mostly to Anahel, but also to the guards.  At this point she was the key to everything, the one who really needed to know.

• Love 1

They were quiet the rest of the march.  The guard were in were too in awe to consider speaking to Anahel directly.  She was a higher being, one they believed in, but never expected to see.  Only Maxim had a right to speak to her directly, both as royalty and the one she was there to help.  Towards late afternoon the walls became visible.  The new Vanorian guard moving to block the armed group from approaching further.  "Stay back.  To bare arms against a Vanorian soldier is a capitol crime.  Drop your weapons now and kneel, we might consider sparing you!"  Maxim held out a hand and one of the guards handed him a horn, which he blew.  "People of Transac!  Treacherous Vanorians!  I am Prince Maxim of Zenis, rightful lord of these lands!'  The Vanorians drew their swords and slowly marcher forward, unintimidated by the fall group, but intending to kill the runaway prince, take his head back to Urbanus.  "I am here to retake my home.  They may have killed my father, slaughtered my armies, left me with nothing but a small guard.  But do not fear!  The gods recognize their crimes!  They have sent me an ally to bring justice down on them!"

"Now, Holy Anahel,"  He said more softly.  Waiting for her to reveal herself and show her power, both against the men marching on them on the wall and to let others within the wall see her do it.  He wanted to see it himself, expecting to be rather impressed.

• Love 1