The Struggles of an Adult Role Player

Hello, just wanted to rant a bit.

I really enjoy role playing but I end up feeling bad for my partners because of how slow I am to reply. Even though I’ve been role playing for years, my writing speed has not increased very much! At least, to me.

How does everyone write so fast?! What are your secrets?! Tell meeee….

I spend so much time making sure my sentences flow nicely, making sure I’m not being too repetitive, making sure my spelling and grammar is correct, making sure my responses read like a story because it’s the Novella role player in me. -sighs-

On top of that, I have a full-time job so it only adds to how slow I am to respond! GAH! I don’t know if I would want to role play with me at times…

But I love role playing. I love collaborating with strangers. I love creating a story with someone. 

To all my role play partners, I am truly grateful to you and respect the patience you’ve shown me. I owe you all muffin baskets!

Love,

A Struggling Role Player

P.S. Does anyone else have this problem?!

For me, it comes down to enthusiasm for the story, which has multiple origins.

Mostly, if the story's good, if there's atmosphere and detail and richness in the writings of my co-writer (Yes, you.  😉 ), it's very easy for me to match that and become enthusiastic to do so.  Not hard at all.

Also, my job has a fair amount of mental free time, so I can use it to assemble the parts of a post/reply, and that makes the writing part easier.  🙂

Lately, it's been repetition for me.  In certain roleplays, I've been responding frequently, and the flow of the writing seems to come out a bit more naturally.

Other times, it's about emotion.  When I feel certain emotions related to the scene at hand, it becomes easier to write it out.  To that end, I'll try to find music that helps me channel that into the writing.

My responses can be slow sometimes too, but for me, as I work a full-time job myself, it's about motivation.  Having ADHD doesn't help.  So I'll often be sitting with a writing document open, looking at YouTube or looking up music instead of writing.  But I've found more and more often, it'll be about that first sentence.  If I can get one going, the rest tends to work itself out.

3 hours ago, PitViper said:

For me, it comes down to enthusiasm for the story, which has multiple origins.

Mostly, if the story's good, if there's atmosphere and detail and richness in the writings of my co-writer (Yes, you.  😉 ), it's very easy for me to match that and become enthusiastic to do so.  Not hard at all.

Also, my job has a fair amount of mental free time, so I can use it to assemble the parts of a post/reply, and that makes the writing part easier.  🙂

Aww, thank you! I feel the same about you. But if you ever want to leave me on read, I’ll understand. I forgot to mention that my life outside of work also keeps me busy. 😩

2 hours ago, Teppo said:

Lately, it's been repetition for me.  In certain roleplays, I've been responding frequently, and the flow of the writing seems to come out a bit more naturally.

Other times, it's about emotion.  When I feel certain emotions related to the scene at hand, it becomes easier to write it out.  To that end, I'll try to find music that helps me channel that into the writing.

My responses can be slow sometimes too, but for me, as I work a full-time job myself, it's about motivation.  Having ADHD doesn't help.  So I'll often be sitting with a writing document open, looking at YouTube or looking up music instead of writing.  But I've found more and more often, it'll be about that first sentence.  If I can get one going, the rest tends to work itself out.

That’s very well said! Once you’re in a role play where you can just naturally write, it’s so easy to do!

But I tend to overthink things…and then my brain stops working for a moment…and then I re-read the same sentences over and over again…and then I don’t like the way the sentences sound…so then I rewrite them…

Writing is an uphill battle for me. But at least I win the war. Sometimes. 

Hey, I know all about the pain of overthinking, in writing and in life.  I've only recently begun practicing techniques and methods to help me stop doing it, especially when it doesn't help me and is only hurting me.  As a kindred soul, if you ever have any trouble with that sort of thing and you feel like having someone to talk to would help, my inbox is always open, and I even have a Discord if that makes things easier.

I'm always looking for new friends, especially now.

As for the writing portion of it all, I've begun overcoming it with repetition and actively making myself not agonize over it so much.  We're here to have fun, not write a novel, so we don't have to make it perfect.  Sometimes, just writing and not worrying about how good it is, is the best way to get better.  You keep trying and eventually you temper out the impurities and find the art underneath.

Archived