Challenge 1: The Vessel (No Deadline)

Write something erotic or echhi inspired by the words "The Vessel." Post it here. There's no deadline for our first challenge. This is just to get your juices flowing.

What does your imagination conjure when you hear those words? In case it helps, here's the definition.

vesselnoun
1. a craft for traveling on water, now usually one larger than an ordinary rowboat; a ship or boat.
2. an airship.
3. a hollow or concave utensil, as a cup, bowl, pitcher, or vase, used for holding liquids or other contents.
4. Anatomy, Zoology. a tube or duct, as an artery or vein, containing or conveying blood or some other body fluid.
5. Botany. a duct formed in the xylem, composed of connected cells that have lost their intervening partitions, that conducts water and mineral nutrients. Compare tracheid.
6. a person regarded as a holder or receiver of something, especially something nonmaterial: a vessel of grace; a vessel of wrath.

Edited by IsabellaRose

It was a hot Summer night, the last night he would be what many considered to be alive. A young man dragged him self through a alley way lights shining in the misty fog, and cars and people were passing along the ally entrance. The man limped and dragged him self against the wall clutching his chest and panting. Normally he was very thoughtless and never cared about the horrible things he had done to others in the few short weeks he had this condition. However in what he felt were his last moments he couldn't help but lament all of the grotesque, inhuman things he had done to those poor women. The ally grew darker as he got deeper the guilt weighing heavy on his mind before the sensation of something churning and writhing inside his stomach forced him to kneel.

It was then the door near him opened and a petite blonde girl walked down the small steps with a trash bag in hand. "UGH ah!" The man sounded with a look of worry in his eyes. Immediately, the girl dropped the trash bag and rushed over to kneel in front of the man." ARE YOU OK!? Do I need to call a.." He reached out and grabbed her arm and clutched it tightly. "N no Doctor's, JUST RUN!" Shouting with his last gasp of humanity before what was writhing inside him began to show through his stomach and expand his chest, the woman was frozen in horror and her cheeks flush from the sight of writhing tentacles bulging below the hands shirt and skin. The dull audible pop of the man's rib cage popping out of place forced a shudder from her then her eyes widened and her mouth gaped in horror from the sight of tentacles tearing through his skin, blood burst from every orifice and his eviscerated organs leaked from the rips in his stomach and chest.

The tentacles withed out from his body and wrapped around the woman's neck before the tip probed and forced it's way into her mouth. She squirmed and screamed and bit but nothing she could do would stop the slimly, hideous, sickly looking tentacle from forcing it's way into her throat. More tentacles bound, restrained and violated her soft trembling body. Her eyes frozen in horror as she watched the man's head hang dead only connected to his neck by arteries and muscle tissue that started to stretch and eventually snap as the tentacle's violated every orifice that could, pumping and churning inside her probing deeper as secretions started to form from their tips. Tears flowed from her eyes and he screams muffled by the tentacle that probed her stomach, she bit and trembled when she felt something slide along the tentacle that was inside her vagina. She was helpless and could only cry as the thick mound road up the tentacle and exited the tip into her womb, making her a Vessle for the creature's demon seed.

(Well what's my grade?)

• Like 1

The Holy Vessel

A few hours ago Sophia had been bathed in milk and honey by two level 5 priestesses of the order, they had skillfully and careful massaged every inch of her young body with the anointed liquids, purifying her flesh in order make it ready for the up coming holy ceremony.  The experienced had left Sophia in a state of arousal and introspection.

Teresa and with her daughter, had decided to join the Order of the Holy Scepter many years ago, Sophia wasn't sure how many years, since the order kept track of days, months and years using a completely system to the Gregorian calendar, but she knew it had been a long time, not just because she could barely remember the outside world with all its sin and depravity ,but because of the changes her young body had undergone and was still undergoing.

Sophia wondered how she looked, for the first time, her mother had put make up on her, she hoped it looked beautiful, she hoped that she was sexy, that she looked exactly as she should be. She felt like a princess, and yet she knew this was the wrong, she wasn't meant to want to be a princess, that was outside world thinking, it was a sinful thought, but she couldn't quite help herself. Before they came to the compound all those years ago, Sophia had been like most girls obsessed with Disney, Hello Kitty and My Little Pony. She had sweet and innocent ideas of a prince charming, ideas she now knew were wrong. The life they had lived outside the compound had been a sinful one, she was The Vessel now, she had only one purpose, only one goal...

The brush pulled on her hair a little hard, making Sophia cry in pain and bringing her back to the here and now, she looked at her mother, who was busy brushing her hair imploring her to be more careful. Teresa just smiled back, there was glint of something in her mother’s smile, it could be envy, or maybe lust? Sophia couldn't quite tell. The silence had suddenly become unbearable but before she could speak her mother beat her to the punch.

“Have I told you how proud I am of you?” Teresa said with clear joy in her face, her mother had been over the moon ever since he learnt her own daughter had been chosen as The Vessel. Sophia didn't knew how she felt. But she knew what answer was expected of her.

“Thank you. I just hope I am a worthy Vessel” She replied demurely, it was what The Vessel was suppose to say.

“You are! His Holiness himself chose you and he is never wrong, your body knows what to do. Besides we both know how hard you have worked for this.” Her mother’s words made her feel a little more at ease. “Its okay to be nervous, its your first time with His Holiness, don’t worry I know you will please him.”

Sophia told herself that there was nothing wrong with what was about to happen, that her feelings were just nerves. She gave her mother a nervous smile, she wasn't sure if she was trying to reassure her mother or herself.  After another deep breath, Sophia tried to concentrate on her teachings, since the announcement she had been watching videos taken of past ceremonies, learning from them the many ways His Holiness could use The Vessel, there had been so many terms and positions, but Sophia felt confident she knew them all, and besides her mother was right, as The Vessel her body would know what to do even if she herself didn't.

Mother and daughter knew that as the Head of the Order and the only man able to purify the souls of the churches members, His Holiness one that had taken dozens, perhpas even hundreds of Vessels, as such he would expect a perfect performance, furthermore if after the ceremony he found Sophia worthy, they could move from their small and meager home in the outer reaches of the compound, to His Holiness palace where, so as long as she was his Vessel, they would want for nothing.

Her mother finished the thousand stroke of her hair, and Sophia stood up so her mother could inspect her clothes, the dress she was wearing had taken a dozen girls almost a month of pain staking work to complete, it was by everyone's assessment a work of art. The white semi-transparent silk cloth clung to Sophia’s flesh almost like a second skin, highlighting her every curve almost as if to advertise them, the edge of the dress barely covered her budding bra-less breasts and exposed a good third of her behind, the silk seemed designed to wrap her body in an enticing and alluring package.

Her mother’s inspection found no flaws either in the dress or Sophia's skin, every inch of her seemed to be perfect, but she did found room for improvement in one area. Her daughter's thong. As a level six priestess in the order, Teresa knew that the fit of her panties was of primary importance for the ceremony so of course she adjusted them, making sure the Vessel’s nether regions were exposed via camel toe.

Aided by her mother Sophia put on the five inch heel white leather sandals specially made for this year’s vessel. Sophia then took a few tentative steps but despite being a little higher than she was used to, Sophia was able to find her balance quickly and was soon walking on the heels as if she had been born in them.

To complete the outfit, there was a veil, long enough to cover her shoulders and frame her beautiful almost regal features, it was made of the last of the white silk and decorated with pink flowers almost like a tiara, Teresa lovingly and carefully placed it on her daughters head and it made her look more innocent and more enticing.

Finally with all the preparations complete, they walked to full length mirror, and Sophia was able to look at herself for the very first time, she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Before when she had seen veil and the dress, she thought they looked like a clothes of a princess, now that she saw herself in the mirror, she knew that sinful thought had indeed been wrong, she didn’t look like princess. She looked like what she was, lust and desire made incarnate, she was His Holiness Vessel, the female chosen to take his lust and sin.

The bell struck midnight and both mother and daughter smiled, they had managed to get her ready just in time, His Holiness would come for her any minute now, and like all good Vessels, Sophia was eager and ready to be filled...

• Like 1

The Vessel: 

It was always there, Amy saw it her whole life. Her mother's favorite Vase; it was beautiful. The swirling indigo blue flowers on a white pallet, the yellow edges and center of each flower so elegantly painted. Her mother loved it, a gift from her late husband. Amy's father had died when she was 5 of cancer. It was a shock, but one she barely remembered. But her mother did, and she kept the vase in memory of her lost love. Amy used to run around the vase, playing with dolls and stuffed animals. Holding the stuffed lizard up to the vase she'd hold the felt tongue out and lap at the flowers, her dolls would play at the base and she'd put the flowers that fell from the vase in their hair, sometimes her mother would braid them into her own long brown locks. 

Years later the Vase was still there, that vessel of love. Amy walked into the house, closing the door with her foot. The thump of the door resounding through the hall. She steps in her arms filled with bags, "Mom?" She calls as she walks past the vase. "I brought you your medicine!" The sun set slowly that day-

Now a young woman at 19 Amy had to bury her mother. Standing at the side of the gravestone, she held the vase in her hands, filled with her mother's favorite flowers, Lilacs. She had long since cried her makeup into rivers of dark chalk on her cheeks, she pushed back a fresh drop from her eyes and looked down at the vase, at least she had what her mother had loved so dearly, and as long as she did, she knew she could keep going. 

Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, Senior year all flew by so fast. Before time could catch up she was graduating and going into the field. After dealing with her mother's illness for so long she had taken up nursing. Amy wanted nothing more than to be there for people when things were hardest. Walking by that same Vase which sat in her windowsill Amy stopped to water the Lilacs that were growing in it, it wasn't the same lilacs as that day, she wasn't that good of a florist, but they were lilacs, and they made her smile. 

Two years later, married to one of the doctors at her hospital Amy is in love, her life has been a dream since meeting him, so perfect that she hasn't even thought of the vase or its meaning. She simply watered the flowers and went on with her life. She set it on a pedestal in their new house, it looked simply elegant in the foyer. He said that he loved it too, that made Amy very happy. The simple things swelled her heart so with contentment for her little stretch of love....but it wouldn't last. 

Stress eats people. 

A botched procedure, a missed opportunity, being let go. It simply swallowed him whole. He turned to things he wouldn't have thought, alcohol and sex to cure his darkness. He used her for one of those, and the other used him to get to her. It wasn't long till their idyllic life of two years ago was gone. It all ended one night, the bottle was empty this time and so was she. It couldn't be avoided, a fight broke out and in a rage he pushed her. Tumbling back she fell towards the vessel, and as she hit the floor, she looked up to see the vase wobble in a circle before falling to the wood ground beside her. 

As the crash broke, so too did her heart. She couldn't even feel the blood as she bled from the broken china, all she saw the broken love in front of her. She felt her heart beat quickly with each stomp of his boot as he walked closer, her face bleeding from the small cuts, her hands holding the shards, the pretty lilacs her mother loved; he stomped on it all, right before her stricken eyes. As the china cracked, so to did her heart. The door slammed, still, she sat there, tears in her wide eyes, her hair tumbling into her face, her bloody hand reached out and touched the indigo lilacs that once filled her mother's vessel, that once filled her heart. 

(Don't know why I was feeling dark with this one 😅

• Love 1

The Vessel

Amanda was doing her usually weekly shopping routine, buying food and essentials for the week. As she left the store, there was a table set up with old trinkets and doodads on it.  One thing that caught her eye was this beautifully crafted bottle. It was just brass in color, and it seemed like such a normal shape. But, the details that decorated it were the finest she had ever seen.

"I see you have your eye on this vessel?" The clerk at the table asked. "It is a work of art. Store flowers in, and they last forever. Any liquid put in, and it's the best drink you've ever had. Like theres some kind of magic to it. I'm too old to keep such an item around, so...for someone younger....mmmm... 25 bucks?"

Amanda slowly nodded, a bit mesmerized by it still. She snapped out of it, looking back at the clerk. "Mmm? 25 you said? Sure. That seems worth it." She paid the man, taking the bottle, and putting it in one of her bags. She waved the man off, and headed to her car, placing her groceries away. As she got in the car, she couldn't help but hear something...faint. she looked around, but there wasnt anyone around. Perhaps her imagination?

Once home, she placed the bag of groceries onto the table, reaching in and pulling out the brass bottle. Slowly, she felt a bit drowzy before she shook herself awake, placing it down on the table. "Got to get my stuff done first, then a nap." She smiled, though she kept looking at the bottle. "Flowers huh?" She grabbed the stopper of the bottle, as she began to pull on it. It wouldnt budge. She began to inspect it, noticing a hinge connecting the neck to the stopper. She pressed her thumb against the stopper, pushing it upwards. Nothing. "Hiwd that man get flowers in...?" She put it down, hearing the noise again, this time sounding like a woman talking. She looked around, thinking it must have been outside. She decided she needed some rest, so she began to put he food away.

"...man...da..." 

She had heard the same voice for the third time, and it sounded like it knew her name? But there was no way--

"A...man...da..."

No...no it couldnt be. "Hello? Who are you?"

"Bottle..."

"Bottle?" Amanda repeated. She walked over to it. "The brass bottle?"

"Y...es..."

Upon looking at it, she got a bit lost in it again. Slowly, she began to grab it. Once her fingers made contact, her body began to heat up, and she felt even more in a daze. The voice spoke to her, a bit louder, clearer, longer.

"Thank you, Amanda...its hard to talk without someone holding my vessel. Greetings. I am a spirit that resides in this bottle. Trapped as I'm sure you can tell from your earlier efforts." Now that the voice could be heard a bit better, it seemed to be deep and longing, with a hint of velvet. Hearing it just made Amanda shiver.

"Y...yes...I tried to open it, but...it just wouldn't budge... Voice? How...how do you know my name...?" Amanda asked, her own voice seeming a bit dulled and tired now.

"When you made contact with me, I was able to peer inside you... Know everything about you. Your name, your favorite activities... secret desires~" Amanda gave a blush, as she looked away from the bottle. "Its ok. No need to be embarrassed. A spirit never judges."

Amanda looked back at the bottle. "You said...you were a spirit of the bottle? Does...does that mean your a genie?"

The voice gives an alluring giggle. "A genie? I guess...in a way I could be one. Does that excite you, Amanda? Or...should I say...Mistress?" Amanda had bit her lip, clearly liking the idea of owning a genie now. "No need to say it, I can already see it inside you. However...before I fulfill your wishes, can you fulfill two of mine? One is simple. I just need you to free me from this vessel. The other? Well..." The spirit paused. "Being trapped in an object for so long...It gets kind of...lonely. Could you...give me love and affection? If you can fulfill both those tasks, then I will grant you whatever you desire."

The girl began to nod, rather quickly for the state she was in. "yes! Yes of course! I would love to free you, and I would love to love you. But..." She bit her lip, starting to slow down. "As you know, I tried to open your bottle. But nothing worked. How can I free you...if you know any secrets that is."

The spirit giggled again. "Such a cute mortal... Well...you ask if I'm a genie yes? How would you free a genie? Rub my vessel... in any way you see fit. The magic from your hands with energize the vessel, and I shall be free to join you."

The girl nods, biting her lip thinking about the plume of smoke coming out, and the woman inside greeting her. "Yes...yes!" She moaned, and she begins to rub the bottle. But, not in the sense that she runs her hand against it. Shes so turned on and pulled in, she slowly starts to rub it along her body, kissing it, even licking it. "Join me...please..." Slowly, the bottle begins to shake. This must be the energy she was talking about. Her heart skipped a beat, and she started to get frisky with it. She lifted up her shirt, as she rubbed the bottle on her bare stomach. Then, she slipped it under her pants, rubbing it against her panties, neck of the bottle rubbing against her slit. The bottle shook violently, as the stopper flipped open, pink smoke pouring from the tip and running along the girls body. It danced along her skin, moving around her hair, before a figure began to form. Still smoke like, but yet very feminine. The girl looked over at her, blushing. "Spirit? That...that is you" she asked in a daze. Though a tad disappointed. "You are just smoke...Can I love you in this state?"

The spirit nodded, a smile forming on her face, green eyes looking over at the girl. "Tell me...can you feel this?" She slowly began to lean into her, as she placed a gentle, yet passionate kiss on the girl's lips. They both moaned once contact was made. The girl could feel it. Like a gentle breeze on her lips, but still with the vigor of a human. The spirit began to grab at Amanda's shirt, and Amanda ran her hands along the bare spirits skin. How weird it felt, but she didnt care. She was so charged, she wanted her to make her climax. Amanda kissed her deep, and the spirit merely giggled, but reciprocated. 

The spirit broke away from their kiss, as she sat up on Amanda, inching her way across her body, sliding her wet pussy across it. Amanda shivered, and as the spirit rested on top of her lips, Amanda dive right in, eating the spirit out. The spirit moaned, putting her hands in her own hair and riding with the pleasure. "The first...I've had...in forever." Amandad tongue lapped at her walls, getting wetter by the second, wiggling her muscle deep inside to hit her spot. The more the tongue lashed, the louder the spirit got, rocking her hips harder and faster. At a point, the spirit climaxed, resulting in a mix of moisture and a puff of smoke.

"I do believe I must reward you..." Tge spirit smiled, as she made out with Amanda, moving onto her neck and sucking on her skin. Her hand descended down her body, going towards her pussy, and shoving her fingers deep inside. Amanda gasped and moaned, before she was blocked by the spirit kissing her again, shoving her tongue deep inside. Amanda was so deep in lust, that she came within a few seconds, the spirit not stopping. When she finished, Amanda breathed in though her nose, breathing in the spirits scent. However, upon breathing her in, she noticed her body disappearing, and her own womb feeling fuller. Inside her mind she wondered what was going on, but outside her body laid limp. She tried to speak, but couldnt. "Spirit? What's going on?" She thought, hoping the spirit still read her mind. 

The spirit did appear to her, blocking her vision. "I need a new vessel, cutie. I want to explore the world, feel what mortals feel, not sit in a bottle. So...since you are so attractive, I'm taking your body as my new vessel. Don't worry.  I'll put you in the bottle for safe keeping. Maybe someone new will release you...in a thousand years! I hope you remember how I took your body."

Everything blacked out for Amanda, as the switch happened. The spirit began to feel how soft the bed sheets were, rolling around in them. She grabbed the bottle, and her eyes flashed, exhaling a pink smoke inside of it. The bottle shut immediately, and she tapped its body. She thought about where to put it, until she threw it in the trash. "No...you deserve a better fate than that..." She put on one of Amanda's fanciest dresses,  as she grabbed the bottle, and walked outside. In an alleyway, she gently rolled the bottle down, smiling. "A few days shell find someone. Will she change bodies? Maybe. But...perhaps shell be so aroused, she will just want the fun." The spirit then walked away, ready to greet the world.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The Vessel

The vessel hoves into view: I think the word 'hoves' applies because that is what vessels do, isn't it? And this is certainly a vessel: more than a boat, not quite a ship - a vessel, for carrying ... something. And hoves definitely describes what it does: I don't know the etymology of hoves but it sounds like a sort of twisted past that is somehow still happening: "Heave to!" would be the order, which when completed would result in the vessel being 'hove to' so that 'hoves' would be sort of a present tense for a sort of past. Anyway, the vessel has something ancient about it, and its arrival is a sort of quiet heaving that leaves it quietly riding the soft small swell as the end of the derelict quay. I have seen replicas of old ships - sailing ships, cutters, schooners - and this one has something of all of them but is not quite any. Masts, yes, but only a single sail on the foremast, slack now: a high castle at the stern, a wooden prow - and old, yes, very very old. Out of place too: this quay has been derelict as long as I have known it and by anecdote for decades or more before that. The mist is unusual here too: perhaps that is why the vessel hove out of the mist and into view. And the mist was not here before the vessel: otherwise I would not have been reclining, idly, my feet dangling in the water, at the end of the quay wearing a bikini.

There is no-one on the vessel: it just glided - hove - silently, but with calm quiet perfect control, to the quay and then held its station there, waiting.

It's mysterious.

A bit frightening too, if I am honest.

But mystery trumps fear any time, doesn't it, or life would be safe but dull.

It is indeed empty: or rather, devoid of life. But people were here, of that there is evidence: a meal on the mess room table, half eaten; clothes neatly stowed by the bunks below decks; an open chart book in what must be the captian's cabin, compasses open and laid carefully on it; a log book open - and its ink still damp.

"We see another: this one in white, on the quay. None dare to look, lest the fever take us again: yet we must look, because we cannot resist. Pray only that this not b ethe end of us."

I flip back: pages of carefull neat script. And here, a sketch -a drawing - like a mermaid, perched on a rock: naked, half reclining, her tail dangling in the water.

"Gregor was lost to the Siren: the mad lust took him, and nearly overtook the rest of us. We left him with her: may God preserve his soul."

A faint scratching sound.

I turn the pages, flip back to the last. The ink is smudged, fresh.

A drawing: I do not recall it's being there when I looked before. A mermaid, perched on a wooden quay, her tail dangling in the water.

No, not a mermaid, and not a tail: her feet dangle in the water. And not naked, as was the other: sketched on her body are a covering of her breasts - a bra, I would say, were this not apperantly an ancient text; or a bikini top. And matching bikini bottoms, too. Not as voluptuous as the other mermaid, either: nor with such long luscious hair - in fact hair cropped short, like mine. I twist the page, inspect from different angles. A good likeness, if I di dnot know better, of myself, p;erched at the end of the quay as I was just minutes ago. Strange, Mysterious.

That scratching again.

These words were surely not here earlier?

"She has boarded the ship. We are lost: the mad lust is already upon us, with intensity such that none of us may resist its call."

Up above, on deck, I hear sounds - voices.

I climb the steps: a small petite figure, hair cropped short, in my white bikini.

On deck the crew surround me, the mad lust in their eyes. There is no escape....

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

It was such a juxtaposition every time he thought about it. On one side there was the cringe of the phobia, the mental imagery of something inside him being ripped and torn with foreign matter invading his body. On the other side, the result filled him with eager anticipation knowing the satisfaction and contentment that was to follow. He just had to withstand a little pain and discomfort first.

"Don't be a pussy..." Harsh words from such a calming voice caused him to peek an eye open before he felt the sting.

"Oh, you bitch!" He cursed her with a wince, the needle in her hand tearing a hole in his epidermis tissue in search of a vein... a vessel in which to deliver the calming awareness he so desired. Plunging into one of the many flowing rivers within him, the substance was rapidly delivered to the key points of his anatomy. Most noticeably, the nervous system... triggering a massive release of dopamine and the feeling of peace he so desire. "You.... wonderful bitch, you..." His tone changed as she yanked the needle from his arm... the fear and anxiety which previously filled him completely eradicated as he sank back into the sofa.

"Nothing like a little rough play before the release.." She smiled, moving off his lap.. which she had been straddling as she administered the injection... to sitting next to her companion.

"Need me to do you...?" He slowly turned his head towards her, a smug grin slowly emerging on his face.

"Nah, I got it..." She began to tie off, "Not that I don't trust you to... penetrate me.. I'm just more effective at doing it myself."

"It's all good.." He returned his focus to straight ahead at nothing. "Male pride is undamaged."

"Good to hear.." She was already thrusting the plunger, "Can't have that damaged now, can we?" She giggled, followed by a long, relaxing sigh. Removing and setting aside the needle, she made herself cozy against his collar. "...we really need to stop meeting like this."

"We can go to your place next time.."

"That's... not what I mean!" She chuckles lightly, "Must all our... 'dates' culminate with this..?"

"...it was your idea." He glances down at her, "I was down with binging TV shows and mediocre sex.."

"I know..." She nuzzles into him.. both as a show of affection as well as an attempt to clear her thoughts. "I just don't want the focus of our relationship to revolve around... this... ya know?"

"It doesn't!" He defends, then blinks. "Maybe at this moment, sure... but I think it's more like... a phase."

"Like your high school emo phase..?" She teases him.

"Bitch... I was not emo. I was an angy tortured soul... there's a difference!" The monotone of his voice made his argument sound robotic. "I mean... there's like the honeymoon phase, right? When you first hook up and everything's all peaches and cream..."

"Heheh... cream..." She snickers.

"...and peaches.." They share a chuckle, "Anyway... uh...." There's a long pause, "Oh yeah... then you become bored with each other and it's kind of stale for awhile..."

"...is that what happened?" She contemplates, "We got bored with each other and had to resort to this to keep things interesting?"

"I never got bored of you.." He leans his cheek against her head, "More like an opportunity to... enhance things." He was silent for a moment, "I think we're already realizing we don't need this to enhance anything... we'll overcome it and be stronger for it..." He thinks positively, "It's like a test... a trial... 'that which does not kill us makes us stronger' type thing.."

"Wow..." A partial reaction to both his words and the sensations she was feeling, "I'm... impressed with your faith in us..." She snuggles up to him, "It's endearing..."

"After tonight... do you want to call it, then?"

"Just stop...? No more?"

"Yeah. We can do it!" Again his words with his tone sounded off. "Besides, my fear of needles is really putting a damper on this whole thing..." He admits, "Unless... you don't want to?"

"Am I a bad person if... I don't want to?" She questions. "I know I sound like a hypocrite... questioning it after being the one who suggested it... and now backing out..." She sighs. "There's just something about... these moments... that I'll miss..."

"I know, but... there will be better moments.." He encourages, "You don't think this is the height of our relationship, do you?"

"No... of course not.." She clings onto him tightly, "Let's stop talking for now and... just enjoy the moment while we can, okay..?"

"You got it." He holds her back as they sit together silently in their substance induced bliss until they eventually fall asleep in each other's arms, the world around them fading to black.

The familiar sharp sting woke him, "Ow, you bitch!" he retaliated out of instinct. "Again...? We need to..." His eyes flutter open as the pain of reality floods into his senses. The dreariness, confusion and nagging nausea brought on by their indulgence sinking in. "We don't have to quit cold turkey, but we should take a break before..." He looked around. He was in his room... on the sofa. The spot beside him where she sat was empty. A piece of rubber tubing tied around his arm and a needle still hung from his flesh which he quickly removed and shuddered from his phobia. Then things began to become clear.

It was such a juxtaposition... he pulled out his phone and flipped through the old images of them together. The good... the bad... and everything leading up to her unfortunate passing. The only way he could continue to be with her... at least in his mind... was through the very thing that took her life... the poison which had now become a vessel for him to continue to feel her presence. He glared at the needle which lay in the spot where she always sat... being mocked by an inanimate object. He sighed, "...we really need to stop meeting like this."

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Floating doesn’t feel like floating when you don’t know you exist. The empty space you occupy doesn’t seem too scary when everything is black, but as soon as a dim light flowed towards him, the being began to fear. What did this light hold for him? Where was it coming from? Where did it lead? Those thoughts would never leave this place as the dim light grew blinding, pulling his very existence from the void he’d been trapped in. He was being reborn, and those thoughts and emotions had no standing in this new world.

“Arlon?! Arlon, can you hear me?!” A high pitch frantic voice called. His ears were ringing with the words, but his focus was on the barrage of sensations his body faced. The cool stone floor was a stark difference to the warm hands on his shoulders, shaking him. The clothes on his body felt so stiff and course, feeling every fiber itch his all too sensitive skin. The voice was starting to fade into a whisper as his ears hyper focused on his surroundings. The crackle of a smoldering fire, the faint ting of a droplet falling in the distance, a scuttling of some unknown creature.

“Arlon, please! Say something please I’m begging you!” The voice came back into focus as it became more desperate. As he focused on the voice, his sight came. At first it was too dark to see anything, but soon he adjusted to the dimly lit carven. A small smoldering fire sat just to his left while half melted candles adorned the walls. A book was haphazardly strewn across the room, as if it was tossed away in excitement or frustration. Before he could take in any more of the room, a feminine face filled his view.

Her light green eyes were filled with tears, her soft cheeks flushed red and stained with tears. Her short mousy brown hair was a mess, needing a good brushing to tame it back in place. “Arlon?!” She choked as she stared down at him. Tears fell on his face, running down his cheek before settling on the floor. Suddenly he felt a great pain in his chest, one that he had somehow overlooked prior to this. Panic spread across his face as his hand moved up to grasps the cloth over his chest. With a gasp, he sucked in a breath as he shot up into a sitting position. The girl shifted back to move out of his way, the male panting for a moment as he caught his breath. He didn’t know he needed to breathe, or he’d somehow forgotten.

As he took a deep breath, it felt normal and natural, like he’d always known how to breathe. After a moment he was laying on the ground again, the girl had wrapped her arms around him in relief and he’d lost his balance as he was knocked off balance. “Arlon! I’m so excited you’re back. I’m so happy it worked! I missed you… so much!” She trailed off, her sobbing over taking his voice. Somehow is seemed different than before. It no longer sounded pained; a slightly happier tone mixed in with the crying. He opened his mouth, but no sound came out. Somehow, he inherently knew how to speak, but didn’t know how to make the sounds he had in his head. As he let the girl let out her emotions, he looked around the room again only to be met with a man staring at him. After a moment, he realized that man was him.

Silvered hair adorned his head, falling just to his ears. It was a shaggy mess, but at the same time, it seemed to be set in place in that way. Warm amber eyes stared back at him, scanning his slimmed facial features for anything thing that seemed familiar. His body was toned, but not overly muscular. With a wider frame, his shoulders were broad compared to the girl clinging to him desperately. He didn’t know what he was supposed to look like, but this didn’t seem right. The feature that struck him most as how pale his skin looked. He almost looked… dead.

It was then he found his voice. “H…. He..y.” He managed out, trying to get her attention. His voice was course and gravely, like he hadn’t had anything to drink in days. The sound of his voice brought her out of her sobbing, releasing him as she moved back to sitting next to him. She looked at him attentively as she tried to compose herself, the sniffling and erratic breathing calming as she watched him try to formulate his thoughts. He didn’t have the energy to sit up again quite yet so he stayed sprawled out on the floor, looking up at her as he spoke.

“Where are we?”

“This,” She took a deep breath to steady her breathing more, “is a cave just outside of town. W used to explore it as kids, remember?” Nostalgia lit up in her eyes as she spoke. “You used to make fun of me for tying a string to the tree outside so we could find our way back if we ever got lost.” Her soft chuckle echoed through the small cavern.

“I…. I’m sorry, but who are you?”

At those words, the color drained from her warm colored skin. “What… what do you mean? I’m Veena. I’m your sister!”

“Veena? That name doesn’t sound familiar. I’m sorry. To be honest, I don’t even know who I am.” He swallowed as he tried to moisten his dry throat. As he spoke, Veena became more and more visibly upset. She back away from him as he sat up, positioning himself to seeing her better.

“I… I did everything the witch said. Followed the directions to a T. You mean…. You mean I didn’t resurrect my brother?! I… I gave up my virginity to perform this ritual…. My humanity….” She trailed off as she started to sink into hysteria. He moved forward to try to comfort her, to which his hand as smacked away, tears running down her face as fear replaced the happiness that radiated off the brown-haired girl just a moment ago.

“No! don’t touch me! You look like my brother, but I don’t know who- What you are!” She scrambled to her feet, revealing her scarcely dressed figure. Her warm toned skin shown through the sheer dress. It clung to her ample chest and followed the curve of her hips. His first thought was why didn’t she feel cold? The tell-tale signs of night crept in softly from the hall at the far end of the room, the soft chirping of a cricket the only sound breaking the silence after her outburst.

“I’m sorry, really, I am. I don’t know what you went through, but you need to calm down. You’re going to pass out if you keep breathing like that.” As he pointed it out, Veena suddenly noticed her hyperventilating, but she couldn’t stop. She had given up so much to bring him, her brother Arlon, back after his he died in the accident. But this person, this thing, in front of her looked and sounded like Arlon, but claimed to know nothing of who she was. It was too much to handle. After a moment, Veena collapsed.

As quickly as he thought of it, he had jumped up and caught her just before she could hit the ground. His body was much more agile than it let on, though after what Veena had said, maybe this wasn’t even his body to begin with. He held her close to him, turning back to lay her on the makeshift bed he had constructed for the ritual. He gently placed her down and pulled the blanket over her to keep her warm. As he turned to focus on stoking the fire for warmth, a soft murmur made him turn back to face her.

“You aren’t Arlon… You are just… a vessel.”

• Like 1