Mountains of Etheria

• 2 weeks later...

"Focus and channel the power to every part of the body.  Lightning is wild and hard to control without proper discipline, so you can't ignore your training," Damien muttered to himself, sitting cross legged on a large, flat rock he had found during his latest training session.  It had only been about a month since his arrival in Etheria, and since then, he had spent most of his time in the mountains, practicing his techniques where nobody could find him.  He only left and went to town whenever he ran out of food or water, and since he had no close connections, he felt little incentive to leave.  That day in particular was like most had been for him, sitting alone on a rock, focusing on tempering his power.  His shirt, along with all of his other equipment, sat leaned against a stone wall while Damien himself sat there with his eyes closed.  Every so often, lightning would run up and down his arms and chest, which were covered with a number of scratches and scars from past battles.  'I need to get stronger.  I must overcome my limits if I want to destroy them for what they did,' Damien thought to himself.  He clenched his fists just thinking of his former allies outside of Etheria who had left him for dead, and how he had only managed to survive by the skin of his teeth.  Damien took a deep breath, trying to calm the fire of rage that threatened to boil over inside of him and slowly opened his eyes.  "But not yet.  I'm not strong enough, and they're probably getting stronger every day," Damien said to himself, looking out at the distance.

Not many has need to travel to these parts, especially when the mountain pass is by far the much better solutions for travellers, merchants, immigrants and nearly everyone else. However, a few people still make their way to these areas. One of these being one of the hermits who live nearby and who often comes out to simply walk, to gather herbs and such or other purposes. The older male wanders up along a natural path that happens to take him past the young man who is out here on his own as well. The wander stack lightly taps against the hard rock ground, making others aware of another presence. He is not avert to company, but rather his home is not fit for most people to live in. He sees the man doing some sort of exercises and slowly walks closer."Hello, young man. You seem rather...frustrated. Are you allright?", he asks in a old and kind tone of voice.

Upon hearing a man's voice, Damien turned his attention to the source, only to find a man standing before him.  He took a few moments before he gave the man a response.  "I'm fine," he replied while he stood up from the rock he was sitting on.  He paid little mind to the man's tone of voice and kept a close eye on him, just in case.  "What are you doing up here, anyway?" Damien questioned, crossing his arms over his chest.  He figured for the time being, he'd observe the man's movements, and if he tried to attack, he'd put the man down.  In such a secluded area, in Damien's mind, it wouldn't be hard to hide the man's body if things came to violence.

The older man leans against his walking stick and looks at the younger man with an odd look."What I am doing here? Hmmmm...well, today just enjoying the scenery. Maybe collect a few plants if I find something good. I live around here, so I suppose I should be the one to ask what a strapping young lad like yourself does in a desolate place like this", he says, keeping his jovial tone and seeming plenty relaxed in his posture.

"Isn't it obvious, old man?  I'm training.  It's easier to focus in a place like this when there are no distractions around," Damien answered.  He turned away from the old man and walked towards his things, throwing his shirt back on before he returned his attention to the man.  "So why exactly do you live up here?  Isn't it supposed to be dangerous around here?" he questioned.  While he had heard of isolationist villages in other places during his travels, he couldn't wrap his head around why some random man would willingly stay up in the mountains when, at least in his opinion, he had no reason to.

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: Fuck. Sorry for forgetting. I have had a lot of stuff to keep track of here. I hope you don't mind a late reply @NyxAvatar69

The older druid doesn't really seem to care about the slightly snide tone of voice from the young man."Training, huh? Hmmmmmm....yes, it would appear so. In regards to danger - it really depends on how well nature around here takes to you. The more in harmony you are with nature, the better she treats you. I can show you my shack if you insist. If you like, I can offer you a nice and hot soup for lunch. Training does suffer if you don't keep your body and mind in balance after all", he says with a soft smile on his face.

• 2 weeks later...

Damien took a few moments to consider the man's offer, keeping a close watch on his actions while he thought.  He figured that since he had been focusing on his training for the past several hours, he had not eaten yet, and deep down, Damien knew there wasn't any point in turning down a free meal.  At the same time, however, another part of him was telling him not to put his trust in some random old guy who claims he lives in the mountains, not that Damien was one to talk since he mostly camped outside.  "Fine.  Just don't try any funny business.  I doubt anyone would find you out here if someone cut you down," Damien finally answered, gathering up his large backpack and his sheathed broadsword.  While he could potentially just cut down the old man and call it a day, his sword was already in desperate enough need of repairs and he'd rather not use it on what he figured to be a weak opponent.  He had to preserve whatever durability in his weapon it had left until he returned to town and got it repaired.  'Looks like I may need to pay the guild a visit too and find some elimination jobs to do,' he thought to himself.

"Oh dear...you are really on your toes, young man. I am sorry if you have experienced stuff to cause you becoming this jaded and paranoid. I have no other reasons to ask but company and being generous. Just follow me...", he says, not at all changing his calm and serene tone of voice. He begins to turn his back to Damien, before slowly walking towards his lone hut, a walking stick supporting his treading on the ground. The older druid hums a soft and simple tune whilst leading the way, letting Damien follow if he wshes or not.

"Better to be cautious than dead," Damien quietly said to himself.  He kept a reasonable distance from the man as he followed, keeping his eyes on the man's movements in the event he needed to make a move.  While he walked, however, he was already deep in his planning.  'A powerful mage, a human with incredible strength and earth magic, and a jack of all trades.  I may have been able to surpass my old limits when I fought Sara, but I doubt what I pulled off then will be enough against those monsters.  I could even the playing field if I could use magic, but there's no point complaining about something that can't be helped,' Damien thought, turning away from the old man and looking out at the distance.  'Fighting for revenge is the right answer.  It's the only way to calm this rage inside me.  I'm sure of it,'

The older man either did not hear him or ignores the words the young man is speaking to himself. Instead, he seems very content with walking slowly forward and admiring the great view that their elevation above regular ground provides. He has no idea about the longer inner monologue Damien is having behind him either, naturally. However, he does sense that there is something troubling the other man greatly, but knows it is not his place or wish to pry. A person's past is their own business after all. As they get closer yet, a small bird chirps up from above and then fly down to land on the shoulder of the druid, who smiles softly and pets it gently."Hello Cornelius. Your coat looks lovely today. You must be hungry too.....huh?", the hermit speaks to the bird and feeds it a small pellet of food.

• 2 weeks later...

While he was lost in his thoughts, Damien turned his attention back to the man, and his eyes caught sight of the bird, like a hungry predator eying prey.  Simply looking at the bird caused his stomach to growl a bit.  It was an unnatural side effect as a result of an incident he had been involved in, and one of those side effects was an almost bottomless hunger for meat.  In the past, he had managed to quell the craving by eating the meat of monsters, but it had been a long time since he had last done so.  He tried to shake the thoughts out of his head.  "So, old man.  Why do you live up here by yourself, anyway?  Can't just be because of the scenery?  Your wife die on you or something?" Damien questioned, pausing for a moment.  He considered his own experiences before asking his next question.  "Maybe it's just because humanity pissed you off enough that you wanted nothing to do with them anymore?"

The old druid pets the tweeting bird a couple of times whilst he is being asked questions. Once that is done, he turns himself to face the young man."I live here because that is where I feel most connection to nature and where I can live as I please. There are no worries, no stress. I am not escaping anything, as you seem to imply. No no....I prefer a simple life with simple pleasures, joys and with no one to call boss. I have nothing against people living in towns and the like, it is just not for me", he says and smiles ever so lightly."You sound rather famished my boy. Good thing I have plenty of stew to sate you", he finally adds and looks at the bird before it flies off his shoulder once more.

"Is that so?" Damien simply said, mostly to himself.  "Must be nice, being able to live as you want," he added.  As he thought about it, he wondered to himself how much different his life would've been had things not gone the way they did.  While he'd probably end up having zero reason to travel all the way to Etheria, he couldn't help but consider the possibility of living a simple life, adventuring with his former allies.  That dream, however, was nothing but a dream.  Reality had been far different, and Damien knew nothing would change what's already done.  At the time, however, his main concern was getting some food, then heading down the mountain and making his way to town to hopefully find a blacksmith who could repair his weapon in a day.

The older man senses that some inner thoughts are being worked out in the young man's mind, but has no desire or reason to ask about that, is that is the business of Damien. He assumes he will let him know in case he wishes to speak about such matters."It puts life into a whole new perspective, when you finally realize what you want out of life. I could not be any more content than now. Even though I do not know you, I value and cherish our encounter. Being a default hermit does not mean you dislike or avoid company", he goes and slowly resumes the walk towards his meager dwelling.

If nothing else happens during the next 10 minutes, they will finally reach a small, but cozy looking wooden hut, that is just the right size for one person to live in permanently, but also has room for a guest if needed. The outside is very plain and normal looking, with only a few windows to peek inside.

Looking at the older man's home, Damien's thoughts shifted again to the home he had back when he was younger.  It had been similar to the place he saw before him, a simple wooden home, but bigger and with a fenced off yard for training sessions and the occasional campfire with ghost stories.  Naturally, he didn't voice any of his thoughts to the man since, at least in his opinion, it was none of the man's business.  At the same time, however, he couldn't stop thinking about what the man had said on the way.  'What I want out of life, huh?' Damien thought.  Simply thinking about it reminded him of a conversation he had with someone several years ago.  It had been with a girl with long silver hair and red eyes.  While she had acted like a normal human girl, she actually had the blood of a vampire, which gave her great control of her magical power.  On that day, the two were talking about nothing in particular until she had asked him about his future.  At the time, Damien had not put much thought into it, thinking it wasn't worth thinking too hard about the future.  In the present, however, he wasn't sure what his answer would be if he ever met her again.

The druid walks to the door and opens it, then standing still and turning around to look at Damien, who seems lost in thought."No rush to enter - you can come inside whenever you feel like it", he simply states and nods his head softly before entering himself to stir around in the large pot of stew. Soon, the sweet scent of a long boiled meal reaches out through the open front door and outside, easily able to reach the young man.

Damien pushed himself out of his thoughts when the scent of the stew the older man had told him about hit him.  For the time being, he decided to put his thoughts about the future on hold and instead focused on getting something to eat.  "Let's just hope this guy's stew is any good," Damien said to himself as he walked.  While he didn't want to admit it, ever since the mention of food started, Damien had actually started to feel hungry.

The old man keeps the door open for the younger male to enter when he pleases. The closer he gets to the hut, the lovelier the smell gets, almost like mental bath of satiating aroma."Welcome to my humble hut, young one. Please, have a seat if you wish. I don't have much here, but I get by fine", the druid says as he finds a pair of bowls for them both so they may able to eat and then serves a good portion from out of a huge pot that is running long time on fire. He then places said bowls onto the table and sits down himself in a comfortable chair."I hope you will remember to also live in the present rather than allow any sort of past or future troubles dominate your current being", he says as he still senses that Damien is off in his own world most of the time.

Deciding to put his current focus on getting something to eat, Damien made his way inside the man's hut, setting down his things near the entrance for when he was ready to leave.  He followed the smell of food and took his seat at the table.  Since he didn't believe in any sort of gods, he didn't bother with any sort of prayers before he started eating.  Once he started, however, the familiar taste, or lack thereof, was the first thing that came to him.  He tried not to let any change in expression show as he ate.  While he couldn't taste anything outside of meat and fish, eating was still a necessary part of surviving and food still provided him with the energy to do what he had to.  In his head, however, he was already constructing a lie to tell to the man.

The older man sits down right after, with his own bowl and begins to eat in silence for now, looking very pleased with his tasty and lovely meal. He doesn't really give any thought about the young man's lack of prayer or even comments on the food. If the man just wants to eat in peace, that is just fine. The druid listens on as birds chirp happily outside of one of the windows in the hut, which also provides a stunning view across the land of Etheria.

• 2 weeks later...

Once Damien was finished, he stood up and cleared his throat before finally saying something.  "Thanks for the meal.  It was good," he said.  While he was lying about how the food was good, considering he couldn't taste it, he meant what he said when he thanked the older man.  It had been one of the most important things his dad had taught him.  After a short pause, he turned away from the man and looked out the window.  "You have a name, old man?" Damien asked, not bothering to look at the older man as he asked his question.

Even if the druid knew that his visitor was not sincere, he could sense that the appreciation still was. He gives a soft nod of the head and a smile."You're most welcome. I very much appreciate the company young man", he says as he gathers both bowls and puts them aside, before clearing the rest of the table."Ohhh my name? You may call me Morgan, young sir", he answers back whilst pouring some water from a can into a small flower pot at the window still overlooking the land beneath them. He even pats the vegetation gently.

"Then tell me something, Morgan.  Do you like this land?  I don't mean this lifestyle you have, I mean this land in general," Damien asked.  A part of himself wasn't sure why he decided to ask such a question.  He knew that he mostly didn't care much about the viewpoint of some random guy he'd probably never meet again, but at the same time, he felt like he was searching for a reason to fight for the sake of Etheria, despite being an outsider.

"Why of course, I do. There is a general peace and tranquility going on, even in the busy capital. It would be naive to think any place would ever be perfect. If you want to see change in the world, then it starts with you doing your part to make that change. I do not know what has caused you to seem disdained towards Etheria, but there are plenty of proper and kind folks out there and I aim to be one of those. Tell me....if you want...is something troubling, young sir? If you feel inclined, I would also like to inquire about your own name", he speaks out whilst still doing minor chores around the room.