The wasteland

ebb14fbfb5743277b6379d91987b9e34.jpg
Outside of various settlements and factions installations you will find vast areas of highly irradiated no man's land where it is every man for himself.
Abandoned farms, ruined roads, destroyed cars, dead vegetation and mutated wildlife are just some of the things you will encounter in this unforgiving environment.

• 4 months later...

Nothing but utter devastation as far as the eye could see. That was essentially all these is in this barren husk of a world everyone found themselves in. And especially to a wandering traveler such as Jean. Sure, there were settlements around the place that were better. Food, a roof over your head, etc. But unfortunately, that wasn't in the cards for Jean. He had to keep moving.

He walked along the broken remnants of what used to be a road. Though all that was left of it was a broken trail of tarmac and the worn, rusted husks of ancient machinery. Apparently before all this madness, they were used as forms of transport. Jean found himself wishing he had one of those right now. It would certainly make things easier.

But for now, he had to settle with hefting around the large pack on his back, containing his belongings, and some spare merchandise he could sell. If he didn't meet anyone on the road looking for something to buy, he could see what he can sell this stuff for in town.

Out here there is not much making noises at all, the usual being the odd animal here and there that make up the vast majority of life out here. Most sane people try not to spend too much time out here as it can most often be quite dangerous - usually either to environmental hazards, gangs or wild animals. Of course, such things as dehydration and starvation are factors too, but those are somewhat easier to work with after all. Customers out here are extremely rare as well, outside of the main roads, which usually are the safest of routes to go. As he walks along the paved road, there seems to be someone further in the distance heading in the opposite direction.

It was only a matter of time before he would encounter someone else out here. Though with the distance between them, he couldn't quite make out who it was first. As he continued walking, he mentally checked if his rifle was within quick reach. Good. That way if everything went south he could grab it easily. But right now, just keep acting like everything's fine. No sense in giving anything away. He continued walking towards them.

As he gets closer and closer, with the other person closing in from the other side, it gets more and more clear what is ahead. A large bodies Übermenschen is wandering alone, with some weathered looking clothing and even light armour on him, but so far nothing that looks like a weapon of any sort. Besides his clothing, he seems to carry most of his stuff in a large backpack.

An Ubermensch. Jean was always worried when there was one around. Big, strong, and insanely devoted to the same ideology that ended up destroying the world. Still, he didn't seem to be armed, and he was on his own. Jean just had to play it cool. As they got closer, he just gave a small, simple wave. A gesture acknowledgi g he was there, and nothing more.

Once close enough, the stranger grows a big and goofy smile on his large face. The übermenschen doesn't seem to be very aware of the kind of presence that his types usually bring with them."Ohhh! Hello there! What a lovely day we are having, right? Grog really likes sunny weather. Grog never seen you before...are you going somewhere fun?", the large person asks in an almost childlike tone of voice and looking quite giddy to have run into someone else around here.

To say Jean was a little surprised was, well, an understatement. He certainly didn't expect the big guy to be like this goofy puppy. He tilted his head, trying to make sure this wasn't some sort of trick. "Erm, no. I'm just wandering around, looking for anyone looking to buy anything."

Edited by Dream Guide

"Oh! Oooooooooooooh! You seller guy! That sounds like fun too! What stuff do you have? Grog really likes bubbly drinkey stuff...or yummy, yummy food! Do you ever get scared out here? It gets all darkey and creepy", the big guy goes on, making gestures with his body as well as he can, to accentuate what he is talking about, clearly very excited and happy just to have someone to talk to out here.

Dammit, this big lug was just too damn innocent. Jean was always a bit distrustful at first, but the way Grog carried himself, well, you couldn't help but believe him. "Well, I got some food, some water, and some beer," Jean replied, setting down his pack so he can get at his goods.

"As for being scared, it isn't so bad, once you know what you're doing. Been travelling around for a good, long while now."

"Ohhhh, you got yummies then? What sort? No bubbly water drinkey though? Grog want to see what you have if he may...oooooh, so you also remember to have some light on during sleep? Then the monsters don't come and snatch you in the night!", he says, still wondering what sort of items this random salesman walks around with. The large body plumps down to sit on his butt as he awaits to see what sort of inventory he could potentially buy from.

Jean quietly set down his pack and began pulling out his merchandise. Even if the big guy seemed more interested in soda, he pulled out some bottled water, along with the various food cans he had. A few were without labels, but most at least gave people the idea of what they contained.

At Grog's question about the night, Jean nodded. "Yeah. It also helps to find a quiet, enclosed place to sleep in. Easier to hide yourself at night."

He takes his time to examine each piece of goods that Jean produce from his inventory, eager to see what is among these."Grog good at hunting animals for food or find plants with stuff on it, so Grog mostly like to get nice drinkey...how much do you want for nice water?", he asks him and even points to them, kind of like a young kid would despite how clearly he mentions them verbally."Ohh...there are places like that around here...though I wish I could sometime get what others call a "nyte laijt" or something like that. Would be nice, hahaha", he says and rubs the back of his head a bit.

Normally, Jean would have charged more for the water than what he bought them for. Simple economics. But Gorg just seemed so lovable, so innocent, it was hard for him to do that. It's like bring mean to a child. "Four Nero per bottle," he answered. Dammit, now he was going to be selling at a loss.

As Gorg mentioned a night light, Jean tilted his head. "Well, starting a fire always helps. You know how to do that, right?"

"Oh wowie! That sounds good! How many bottles do you have? Grog would feel bad about getting them all...after all, Grog wouldn't want selling-man to get thirsty either...maybe Grog help you out? Grog know how to make others safe...Grog learned how to really punch meanies!", he says with much bravado and even confidence in his voice. He then shows off something from his own backpack, which is basically a baseball with nails sticking out from it."Grog is a bit scared of flamey stuff...so Grog don't know how to make fire", he says honestly.

"I have about ten on me," Jean replied. Grog at least was considerate enough not to completely buy him out. Sure, beer worked in a pinch, but one couldn't live entirely on it.

His offer to act as protection was certainly an interesting one. He certainly looked like he could handle himself. "Hmm, how about this? Why not come with me? You help keep me safe, and I can make sure we get plenty to eat and drink. I can even light the place up at night for you."

Grog scratches the top of his head a bit at the proposition made towards him and for them to work together. It certainly would make this place less scary by not being alone, which is most of the reason why he ends up deciding as he does."Grog think that sound very nice. Grog not ask you of your name....Grog hopes that doesn't make Grog impolite or rude. What should Grog call you?", he asks him.

Jean blinked when he realized this whole time he hadn't even introduced himself. "Oh, sorry about that. The name's Jean. A pleasure to meet you." He thought for a moment before adding, "Well, since we're working together don't you worry about paying for the water or anything. Consider it a perk of the job."

"Oh wowie! Grog very happy to hear that and very nice to meet you as well. Grog very thankful to Jean for wanting to help Grog! Grog make sure no one harms you. Where are Jean and Grog going?", he asks, already up on his feet again. looking and sounding very giddy and eager to venture out together. The übermenschen looks around to see if he can spot any danger currently, before looking at the merchant once more."Grog has looked around. NO danger here...Grog already doing his job! Grog never had job before!", he goes on.

• 4 weeks later...

As the pair exit the city heading out in the direction of the nearby base,
Izabella shakes her head causing her long black hair tied up in pony tail to swish behind her at the explanation and replies, “I certainly understand and no need to worry about the past it made me who I am” as she follows behind Matthew. She nods her head in understanding and replies, “Shouldn’t be much of an issue then if it is this couple that you think it is” before she rubs her chin slightly with her left black leather fingerless gloved hand and exclaims in a positive chipper tone, “Who knows we might be able to resolve it positively without anyone being hurt any further?” She would glance over at Matthew as she asks, “Sooo how long have you been a guard for?”, while keeping her eyes out for anything that might be usefully or out of the ordinary to lead them to the damsel in distress that was the shopkeep’s wife.

Matthew, probably a bit more jaded from his work as a guard, doesn't really share the same outlook on that."Perhaps, but I would very much not count on that happening. They are on their home turf and are just as many as we are. As for my time as a guard...I think it has been....almost 5 years by now", he responds back while they move on from out of town. Out here it is much more hostile and unforgiving, so one has to be on its toes to not potentially get caught in a bad situation. The road there takes them through a small camping ground, where small huts and buildings make for good places for ambushes."What about you? Been with the samaritans long?", he asks, also a bit curious.

Izabella pursed her lips tightly at the reminder that they would be going into the home turf of the goons and that the numbers would most likely be evenly matched in numbers in the coming battle from the rescue mission. She nods her head at the mention of the working for the guards at 5 years and politely comment, "Bit of time to be a guard protecting the town and thank you taking the time to protect our town" as she follows slightly behind him keeping an eye out for any hostile or ambush situations, which cause a brief shiver to crawl down her back at the small encampment of buildings. At the question about how long she had been a Samaritan with the Aqua Vitae, she ponders for a moment as she makes a mental count on the total number of years before she replies in a chipper polite tone, "I have been with the Aqua Vitae for 5 years though most of it has been spent as a scavenger for the group" as she feels a bit down trodden at admitting that fact before she continues on saying, "Then again it was either join the Aqua Vitae like my mother whom is currently stationed in Berlin or follow my father into his group.... though I don't quite agree with their views being he is a Lieutenant in the Keepers of Steel", which a small growl escapes at mentioning their name.

"Thank you. It is not often we get thanks for the dangerous work it often. Likewise, your service is appreciated as well. I think your work is of more importance that you think it is....without the proper supplies, you guys would be much less equipped to do much and if you are going alone, that means they probably trust you to do it well too", he says, trying to make Izabelle feel a bit better. Just like her, he keeps a close eye on the various buildings and potential other hiding places, the two of them moving a bit slower to generate less noise as well. Whilst he is not either entirely happy about the views of these soldier boys, but they undeniably still serve as a good peace keeping force where they are."They are not all as heavy on their ideals, so there are still plenty members who will overlook such views on most occasions", he adds, trying his best to make sure to explain how there are varying degrees within their ranks. After a few minutes they are past the small camping site and the last bit of road takes them into open grassland and not far ahead a small building with tall fences with barbed wire on its edge can be seen.

Izabella smiles softly at the attempt to make her feel better as she rubs the back of her neck sheepishly before replying, "I never though of it that way before and thank you for the appreciate with the attempt to cheer me up" as she turns her attention to the small building in the distance with the tall fences covered by barbed wire. She tilts her head briefly from side to side as she wordless glances around the area frowning at the wide open grassland without much of a chance for sniping position from a ranged distance. She would quietly reply, "I suppose that is true then again it could be I just haven't met those not heavily involved in their ideals" as she pulls out her rifle glancing down the barrel through her scope attempting to see any further defenses or patrols at the fortified base.

Matthew is pleased that he is able to feel like there is a bigger purpose to her usual routine work than she may have thought of before and thus make it seem less like a chore and more like an actual contribution."But of course...us "little guys" have to look after each other and try and make each day seem a bit better, after all", he says with a slightly more positive tone for her. Just like Izabella, the guard draws one of his own weapon, which is a machine gun, easily capable of dealing a lot of damage close range."I have met a few in my days and they do come in many different....varieties. Do you have a sidearm miss? You know...something to use if the enemy should get close...like this?", he asks and pats his own trusty revolver by his side. Meanwhile they are soon close to this fenced area.