Favorite Grand Strategy/4X Games?

I've always been partial to grand strategy games like Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Supremacy, and Total War. I really enjoy the inherent roleplay aspect of it and much more so with good mods that improve the visibility of those gameplay elements. There are so many wonderful/shocking/exciting moments that I can look back on and point to that really impacted me.

So what are your favorites and if you have any specific examples of neat occurrences that have stuck with you in that time?

• Love 2

Total War: Warhammer 3

Hearts of Iron 4

Age of Wonders 4

Hearts of Iron 4 is practically fun to try 'what if' scenarios from 1936 on. Latest game I did, Japan goes democracy late 1930s. Had a civil war with itself, came out democratic, never attacked China or US, let Korea and Manchuria go, but joined the allies when Germany took the Soviet Union. US didn't enter war until 43-44 because Japan never attacked them.

Had a great time fighting the Axis back, organizing supply lines and air support in the far east, as Japan. Ended up sending troops to help kick Axis out of North Africa as well. Very interesting game. In the middle of a French goes fascist in the 30s game now...

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a long long long love/hate relationship with this genre.  Love the concept, but completely suck at them.  Even at the easiest difficulty (never played any with human opponents).

Some I like more than others/spent more time on.

Civilization 2 (never been able to really get into later games in the series, though they often have some aspects I wish 2 had).

Crusader Kings 2 (I have not played nearly as much of 3, but have enjoyed it too).

The Galactic Civilization series (though probably mostly played the first).

• Love 2

That post inspired some busyness today.  I had not played Civilization 2 for some time, because I could not find the disc (and there are no legal digital versions of it, unlike the later games in the series).  Finally found it on Saturday night, tried playing it a little.  It did not go well (granted I was loading a 20 year old, late game save, which may or may not have made a difference).  Between jerkiness and so e random crashing, from a game that never gave me that sort of trouble before, last night and this morning, decided to dig out an old Windows XP laptop and spent the day getting various games onto it (this was one of the very few games already on it, though had to copy saves and scenarios from the main computer).

Mostly copied things using a USB drive.  Nothing with XP is getting connected to the internet anymore of course.  And installed a few games from CD/DVD, been quite a while since I did that.  Got a mix of things installed, some that my current computer could play, but the disk stuff was stuff only the laptop could probably play now.

Today was all about copying/installing.  No time to play.  Seeing if that save plays better on the laptop will wait for another day.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

I'm a big fan of the three kingdoms so my favorites have been Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the three Kingdoms although I've played a lot of Crusader Kings 2 and 3. Dominions (especially 5) as well. NA and ROTK are just my main ones because they're pretty relaxing and simple to grasp. The officer mode of ROTK XIII is very fun in particular as its a bit like an rpg while these events unfold. Nobunaga's ambition just has great art, music, and some weird AI.

As for 4X Age of Wonders: Planetfall, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, 7th Raizen (This is an adult but whatever), and Chaos Galaxy (1 and 2) have held my heart hostage.

As for a favorite occurrence during Awakening I decided it'd be a real good idea to just start marrying major figure's mothers or rather marrying Oda's mom and making everyone else a concubine. This really messed with history cause at the end it came down to a random clan, me, and the Oda who I was slightly helping and then the Oda clan got wiped out and I was stuck in a near permanent alliance with the Shimazu who owned all of Japan and me  tiny island. Basically I got so focused on milf collection I destroyed history and locked myself into losing so that was fun.

• Like 1

Laptop was mostly successful.  No crashing/jerkiness, but does not play any music past the title menu.  Only for that game.  Google suggests others have had that problem on XP, with no obvious fixes.  Strange that I never had that problem on XP computers years ago though (the laptop was not originally mine, an unofficial inheritance from my dad, who dd not play very many games/was not good with technology, but that was a game he played a lot when I was younger and he played it mute on the laptop, so was not aware of the problem).

• Love 1