Character Auction DISCUSSION

Khamzan moved his cane from his right side to rest the shining silver top in front of his polished black shoes. He leaned on the walking stick with both hands, one folded stop the other, and ran his eyes over the crowd.

"One hundred?? Hardly enough to buy dinner and cheap wine. Surely the truth," his eyes twinkled and a hint of a smile shaded his face for an instant, "of my tale is worth a decent drink."

I love Aura's idea, by the way. Also yes, I am still confused by the whole thing. One of my fear is that if I put up a character but she only become relevant like months later, nobody knows what the character or roleplayer life situation would be, there. A roleplayed auction would certain make things more interesting, anyway. Also, I read around a little (And pardon my lack of proper sleep right now), I wouldn't know where to submit anything EVEN if I did want to try this.

Also, don't see it as me trying to suggest to rush but would it not be better to try to auction more than one character at once? Presuming that the roleplayers are actually up to roleplay, auctioners wouldn't have to wait too long either before they try to win a roleplay with a character/roleplayer they like. Just ideas, really. (Since this auction isn't really about winning an object or items but rather a roleplayer's time with them anyway). I just thought I would mention it anyway.

Edited by Sera
  • Like 1

We'd gone with running the auction one character at a time to keep the auction easy to keep track of, but the concern about a potential long wait before your character iis active is legitimate.

The larger issue is there's really no bidding and not a lot of apparent interest. Maybe it's way more confusing and a much worse idea than @IsabellaRose and I think?

Do we try to run the auction as a roleplay over in Public RP?

Random thought the hundredth or so - is auctioning characters outside a slave rp uncomfortable for a lot of people?

I mean, it's one of those things that sounds like a good idea, but probably isn't, in reality, a good idea. 

Why pay your hard earned credits when you can rp for free?

Maybe an auction RP makes more sense. I just threw it out there as an idea in the general discussion and there seemed to be interest, so I started the thread. I won't be hurt if it dies on the vine, but I'll also work to make it happen if people want it to happen. 

I love this idea - I think it encourages some brave RPs and some contact, interaction and community building that focus squarely on role playing.

I want this to be an ongoing thing. How many regularly active users does EcchiDreams have? I don't know - but it's way more than the people I regularly interact with.

Why not both? I guess it's the idea of some people presenting a character and put it on a pedestal for a moment and people can choose to try something with them or not. BUT it's true at the same time that anyone can just ask these roleplayers directly for roleplay. An auction (while it requires volunteering into it), is a bit more like forcing said roleplayer to roleplay with the highest bidder. It can be fun but it can also turn sour even if the chances are little that it happens. Still, it imposes a limit that wasn't there before.

I am not against the idea of course. Consider this just my observation. The exchange of credits here binds someone to someone else in hope for a service. (Buying the character/roleplayer's time) and we could ask if what we're buying has its well placed value. Well, not to do any buttkissing but I know that someone who'd buy Aura would get their money's worth. She seems to be a legendary roleplayer among us. (These novels, dang. I wish I could manage to put this kind of effort on my stories. She really goes hard with her work.)

STILL, if we actually roleplayed this, I feel like it would feel like mmo roleplaying. Which IS fun. (Think FFXIV for example. You can roleplay at bars and trade gils to others for drinks. But these drinks can literally be bought for cheap changes from npcs). The trade of money in that case is just more a fun gimmick to add to realism of buying a drink and enjoy the bar experience. In the case of auctions, it could be the same where people try to win an auction for some time with a character. (It could be a date or just an activity, etc)

Edited by Sera

Just now, WritesNaughtyStories said:

I love this idea - I think it encourages some brave RPs and some contact, interaction and community building that focus squarely on role playing.

That's the whole point of this club, bringing people together to be creative in ways other than just kinky 1:1 private roleplay. If we can get this to fly and there's interest, I will do everything I can to help!

There's a lot of people that joined this club, and a good amount who have submitted writing to the challenges. But I also think this is a niche in the greater community. I'm definitely part of a minority who are not here to just flick my bean while writing sexy shit with someone, so a lot of my ideas likely won't appeal to a huge portion of the community. Some of my weird ideas include:

• An RP where Two Characters are outlined with character sheets/bios/pictures, a first post is made to set the scene, and then people randomly write the next post, as either character.
  • A picture writing challenge on the regular - post a pic, see what it inspires people to write.
  • A cooperative world building challenge where we work together to set expectations, the develop a world with a rich history, detailed locations, and interesting characters that everyone ends up wanting to play in.
  • A challenge/roleplay where the whole point is to invert the trope or stand it on its head in a short scene.

Those were just what came out when I thought "what else might be interesting for this club" right now. They may be good or bad, probably require a lot of effort to make workable, and likely don't have a lot of interested from others. But if I'm full of anything, I'm full of ideas.

But to reiterate my original point - I'm just here to facilitate people writing more, being more creative, and sharing with the larger community! Whatever form that takes, I'm here to make it happen!

• ^ This 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that this idea didn't work as well as intended or I am missing something. (I've been following and visiting this club every 2 days or about.) It's a shame that things are so quiet but then again, this quietness is effecting all clubs and all roleplays right now. Something has been happening. I'd like to give it a try but I'm not sure if I'd ever have a chance at roleplaying. (Which I'm really looking forward to do right now.)

One way to guarantee you get an RP is buy one here. Head over to the auction thread and place your bid by putting the character's name in the first line of your post and the bid (which at this point I don't think we'll collect).

More seriously, it may not have been a great idea but I think we're more hamstrung by visibility. There's no real way to make a lasting, site-wide announcement of the auction. The people who write the majority of the posts in the club submitted characters and those most frequent posters are popular, respected members of the community. Advertising the club - which I did and the admins gave the club extra weeks for the price - wasn't likely to drive a lot of people to the auction.

I  think there may be some chance of success if we make a group effort over in Public RPs. I just haven't figured out what I think is a good approach for it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Sera said:

It's a shame that things are so quiet but then again, this quietness is effecting all clubs and all roleplays right now.

My RPs been the biggest (often only) source of activity in clubs I've started.  Though I have not had as much time lately.  And most of the RPs were on a daily cycle, switching to weekly now.  Will give them bursts of activity along with inactivity.

What I meant anyway was not much criticism but just an observation of things. The idea itself was good. The lack of people noticing makes it look not so much. In an active community, this would probably work like a charm. People can't really be forced to join and notice so this makes things a little more difficult and in contrast, most people will care more about their own private matters than any "social" experience like this. (Again, no criticism, only an observation). I was pretty interested into it myself, in hope to see how that worked.

Can't blame the club for it. It's just the activity on the website itself doesn't seem great. Lot of users but most are busy with their own little things anyway. Even if I tried to push for more public roleplay myself, I didn't find lot of interest. (But no worries, I got some private ones going) The writing part of the club is fun but if some roleplay opened up, I'd be inclined to join for fun and practice.

Edited by Sera

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, WritesNaughtyStories said:

That's what I thought. Go ahead, make a character.

ah, is there any particular guidelines for characters?

also i shall post a bid as an imposter cat to get some motion! fair warning this imposter cat is not an actual bidder, since i dont particularly want to bid... actually tell me if i should post a brief, invalid bid just to get things going, IE a cat bidding a fish instead of credits just to keep things going

There are no rules about characters. Only that you're committing to playing the character if someone buys them. 7 posts.

No. Don't fake bid, but you can post as watching the auction or looking at the catalog. Ask the person next to you what they think the hammer price on a character will be. Anything someone at an auction might do that's not bidding.

• Love 1

On 09/05/2023 at 12:43, WritesNaughtyStories said:

large.Lannosea.png.bb55b8fa9781fdb3e05155290ec3a301.png

Lannosea
Race: Human
Experience: Virgin

Lannosea has always been a fighter. Not for any sense of meanness but because Daddy fought. Before she could walk, he carried her to the arenas and training yards while Mommy worked. As she grew, she began to imitate him. When he worked out, sparred and trained, she watched and learned, pretended to do what he did. At first he pinched her cheeks and smiled. "Such a cutie." he'd chirp, beaming happily.

As the years went on, and she began to work more seriously, he pinched her cheeks less but still smiled as he corrected her form.

Lannosea didn't realize it at first, but she had both the the talent and the temperament to fight competitively. The other girls avoided her unless they needed her to protect them from one of the boys. The boys avoided her too because there was no point in trying to deal with her. If it was a fight, there's be no glory in victory and only greater shame in the likely loss. If it was anything else, she wasn't interested. But Lannosea never really noticed - she had work to do.

She'd never thought about sex or romance. Not by design or intent, but just because it never really figured. She was intensely aware of her body. How it moved, how it felt. Pleasure was no stranger, but Lannosea never considered others sharing in that. There were opponents, mentors, training partners but not intimacy. At least not like that.

At least until tonight.

She'd won again. But this time there'd been a crowd. This time she was champion, This time, there were hungry eyes and a desire to celebrate,

I would like to put in a bid for her. Where do I do that and how?