OOC Discussion

13 minutes ago, diogora said:

@DreamsnThings

I also asked Kissa just the other day and I was informed that the collars stay on after the power outage at the prisoner, so any characters trying to remove their collars will have to find a way to do so in RP 😊

ok great! that helps narrow things down a lot, ill still wait for @Kissa's final say on if the jinx thing would be fine/countered by said collars, but knowing they exist gives me more confidence in the idea itself!

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Warning said:

Also since it seems like she emanates bad luck, would it affect only her or others around her too? (The latter would probably be bad). She's the opposite of Domino, too.

the inspiration for the luck side of things was jinx from the old school teen titans, where the answer there would be neither. affecting those around her but not herself

...that saaaid I dont mind being self inflicted with the bad luck personally, but having her luck only affect her would both feel boring, and not really line up with the whole accidental criminal thing

between the two affecting herself and others probably is the best call imo

• Love 1

@DreamsnThings

About Jinx. A neko/cat person is fine : )

I had to think about passive constantly functioning magic for a bit and in the end I came to that conclusion that we will stick to active magical abilities. When it comes to affecting other characters, especially automatically, there are going to be heavy limitations both IC and OOC. Having bad luck that would affect others goes heavily against sovereignty of a character. So things like giving bad luck to others, all kind of mind manipulation and such would have to be more like spells, and they all would require consent of the character who it's supposed to affect. The player of targeted character can decide not to want their char be affected by such effects and then will remain immune.

In other words, passive bad luck that affects others constantly is a no go. I'm sorry. However it's possible to make bad luck weakness, when it will only affect Jinx as little or as much as you want to.

And to confirm the speculation about magic, all characters are wearing in the beginning anti-magic collars so you are all practically magicless till the collars are taken off, somehow.

• Love 1

Wow, people have been busy. o.o

New character... Ah, so that's Fonfon! Dang, she looks like she's going to be a menace. Good thing she's locked up with the girls. : p (and seems to have a predilection for them too...)

Edited by Gardsorm
  • Love 1

Just now, Gardsorm said:

Wow, people have been busy. o.o

New character... Ah, so that's Fonfon! Dang, she looks like she's going to be a menace. Good thing she's locked up with the girls. : p (and seems to have a predilection for them too...)

She does. XD Assuming the character is confirmed to work. I might or not have issues with skills. But her character is what we see in the sheet. If I can't keep these skills, it will be an unfortunate end to her. (As it would be weird to roleplay her without) I had to put hours of work to find all of this. But welp. She's all about physical traits, no magic.

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, Kissa said:

@DreamsnThings

About Jinx. A neko/cat person is fine : )

I had to think about passive constantly functioning magic for a bit and in the end I came to that conclusion that we will stick to active magical abilities. When it comes to affecting other characters, especially automatically, there are going to be heavy limitations both IC and OOC. Having bad luck that would affect others goes heavily against sovereignty of a character. So things like giving bad luck to others, all kind of mind manipulation and such would have to be more like spells, and they all would require consent of the character who it's supposed to affect. The player of targeted character can decide not to want their char be affected by such effects and then will remain immune.

In other words, passive bad luck that affects others constantly is a no go. I'm sorry. However it's possible to make bad luck weakness, when it will only affect Jinx as little or as much as you want to.

And to confirm the speculation about magic, all characters are wearing in the beginning anti-magic collars so you are all practically magicless till the collars are taken off, somehow.

ah, that is what I was worried about... and sadly for me if the bad luck needs to be on the active end of things it wont work for the accidental criminal route either...

I think ill stick to the cat/racoon person vibe and maybe go with a gal who can magically pick locks? obviously not working on... well the anti magic collars themselves.. but a sticky fingered safecracker klepto could certainly be fun regardless?

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Warning said:

She does. XD Assuming the character is confirmed to work. I might or not have issues with skills. But her character is what we see in the sheet. If I can't keep these skills, it will be an unfortunate end to her. (As it would be weird to roleplay her without) I had to put hours of work to find all of this. But welp. She's all about physical traits, no magic.

Oh, wait, you posted the sheet without confirming it with the GM? o.o We weren't supposed to post sheets until the GM gave the okay...

5 minutes ago, DreamsnThings said:

ah, that is what I was worried about... and sadly for me if the bad luck needs to be on the active end of things it wont work for the accidental criminal route either...

I think ill stick to the cat/racoon person vibe and maybe go with a gal who can magically pick locks? obviously not working on... well the anti magic collars themselves.. but a sticky fingered safecracker klepto could certainly be fun regardless?

A lockpicker could definitely come in handy for those times when there isn't an electronic door barring our way. Klepto, though? Oh noes, she gonna swipe all our stuffs. : p

• Love 1

@DreamsnThings

Magically picking locks sounds possible and interesting way to use magic. 

About races. Two players using same race will require some amount of cooperation, like talking about that what kinda society they have, where the race from etc. Naturally you can use same race and discuss so everything will align smoothly, but if you want to have your own race and there is already such race in use, fret not. Just give it another race name and then it will be considered as another race. For example Celestine is vulpeculan and if someone wants to make a fox, but not be stuck with whatever I think vulpeculans are, they can make their own fox race by simply giving that race another name.

----

On another topic about special skills and abilities, as I feel like I might need to clarify my way of thinking here. 

The reason racial abilities are under special skills and abilities is for one that I don't want needlessly many categories and they need to go somewhere. Second is that racial abilities are considered as abilities and racial means just where it comes from. Basically there are three main sources for skills and abilities, you learn it either by studying or by doing it or you are naturally good at it, then it's likely racial. 

Racial ability/skill doesn't mean giving character everything the race/animal they are based on usually has. It simply means the character has such ability because of their race, not automatic going to have everything related to that race. 

For example, if someone made iguana man they couldn't make iguana man [racial] and put growing limbs, being ectothermic, spending long times lying on bottom of a pool and whatnot under one racial ability. Choosing animal/race that has certain racial abilities doesn't mean having all of them as one ability, despite the animal or race usually having them. Each racial ability will be its own, taking one slot. 

It's that way so all races will be more equal. If some races automatically got all racial abilities connected to them as one ability, it would put races without or with very few racials in disadvantage as they are still using skill/ability slots for other things and get less. This is why Celestine has Darkvision and sensitive ears as separate abilities. 

I hope this clears some misunderstandings if there has been such and will help in understanding my rationale.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Gardsorm said:

Oh, wait, you posted the sheet without confirming it with the GM? o.o We weren't supposed to post sheets until the GM gave the okay...

I technically posted to her first then thought a certain correction would be fine. Apparently the system is in place to make all races equal, which makes Fonfon weird because the "game" is rigged so nobody can be over anyone else. If I want to include her personal specifications, I have to take a slot that would be used for something else (for a human character, by example). In short, if I gave the same personal (not racial) abilities to a human character, I would have been fine. So yeah, I posted my sheet after she saw it.

It's the small correction that apparently doesn't fit well. Which means I am either stuck having to lessen a character I've used for years or change to another one. I didn't exactly intend to do PVP in this RP anyway so too bad for Fonfon. I was not using her to be better than anyone else, but just as a fun character in a roleplay. I get a part of the logic involved in this choice (And I don't feel like I was trying to abuse skills) but this means she won't have her place here due to "unfair advantage". It ruined my motivation.

• Love 1

I just went and modified her skills to counter the strict system. Removing her stamina changes nothing for her. Her senses (Clearly defined as hearing and sight) take two slots. I do believe that this would make everyone happy despite what little it changes. I'm trying really hard to make this work but the hours I've put on this depresses me a bit. If this doesn't work then I don't know what to say. 4 skills with 1 worth two slots. She has no magic to draw any advantage from either. It should be good now, I presume. Right?

• Love 1

The character creation process is a tricky thing, especially when it comes to trying to get unique and fun characters to take off. For what it's worth, I had to change my character choice a good deal from how I've played him in other games. I didn't really take it too personally though, because I knew his usual self wouldn't work ordinarily here, so I had to try and portray him rather differently from the usual. 

Try not to let it depress you though, roleplay and writing should never be depressing if you can help it. : ( But all I can do is wish you the best of luck in trying to find that comfortable spot for your girl to fit in here. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Gardsorm said:

The character creation process is a tricky thing, especially when it comes to trying to get unique and fun characters to take off. For what it's worth, I had to change my character choice a good deal from how I've played him in other games. I didn't really take it too personally though, because I knew his usual self wouldn't work ordinarily here, so I had to try and portray him rather differently from the usual. 

Try not to let it depress you though, roleplay and writing should never be depressing if you can help it. : ( But all I can do is wish you the best of luck in trying to find that comfortable spot for your girl to fit in here. 

Understandable. It's just been hard mentally. Not Kissa's fault and I am not blaming her. I'm just really trying to make this work. If the skills were the only issue (Hopefully), I believe that it would be fixed now but only Kissa can say. And yeah, I love roleplaying but character bios give me anxiety. Especially when a system is strict yet interesting. I already find hard to work on a character bio but with restrictive conditions, it's even worse. Not to say an absolute nightmare. So yeah, it's hard for me. Writing is the fun part.

• Love 1
  • ^ This 1

1 hour ago, Gardsorm said:

A lockpicker could definitely come in handy for those times when there isn't an electronic door barring our way. Klepto, though? Oh noes, she gonna swipe all our stuffs. : p

im definitely thinking the magical lockpicking is locked in, im thinking of other races to lean into aside from the catfolk since that already has a little representation.. im thinking im going to absolutely avoid anything combative and might just end up playing the "someones bitch" stereotype and leaning into being a two faced klepto, acting borderline like a pet whenever someone is looking, and when someone is not Ill be a naughty little thing swiping whatever is within easy reach

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warning said:

Understandable. It's just been hard mentally. Not Kissa's fault and I am not blaming her. I'm just really trying to make this work. If the skills were the only issue (Hopefully), I believe that it would be fixed now but only Kissa can say. And yeah, I love roleplaying but character bios give me anxiety. Especially when a system is strict yet interesting. I already find hard to work on a character bio but with restrictive conditions, it's even worse. Not to say an absolute nightmare. So yeah, it's hard for me. Writing is the fun part.

You'd be surprised at how often I've seen people admit that character bios can be a struggle. I have my moments, too; If something requires an absurd amount of reading just to figure out how my own char can fit into the world, I confess to being daunted enough that I'm liable to not attempt. It's also why I have almost never been a part of any kind of a system game. Freeform games like this one are where I thrive easiest. xD 

Don't let it daunt you though, Warning. : ) One day you'll reach the point where creating a character can be as fun as writing them in the story to see how they grow. We all have our bad days and poor moments though... If it isn't coming to you today, don't be afraid to revisit it another day when you've had more rest and a clear mind. ^^

8 minutes ago, DreamsnThings said:

im definitely thinking the magical lockpicking is locked in, im thinking of other races to lean into aside from the catfolk since that already has a little representation.. im thinking im going to absolutely avoid anything combative and might just end up playing the "someones bitch" stereotype and leaning into being a two faced klepto, acting borderline like a pet whenever someone is looking, and when someone is not Ill be a naughty little thing swiping whatever is within easy reach

The sneaky sorts can be fun to play, right? :3 Especially the ones that don't do combat, or at least no combat directly. Your character sounds like they're gonna be an absolute loot gremlin though. : p 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Gardsorm said:

You'd be surprised at how often I've seen people admit that character bios can be a struggle. I have my moments, too; If something requires an absurd amount of reading just to figure out how my own char can fit into the world, I confess to being daunted enough that I'm liable to not attempt. It's also why I have almost never been a part of any kind of a system game. Freeform games like this one are where I thrive easiest. xD 

Don't let it daunt you though, Warning. : ) One day you'll reach the point where creating a character can be as fun as writing them in the story to see how they grow. We all have our bad days and poor moments though... If it isn't coming to you today, don't be afraid to revisit it another day when you've had more rest and a clear mind. ^^

I mean, my first attempt was with thoughts that were less "restricted" and more "it should not be too bad, it's not like it's ranked roleplaying". XD As it is though, I have all attributes I need on her anyway. Perhaps the term "high stamina" was misunderstood here because of course she is not a goddess of stamina but she will be tough. Her hearing AND sight are impossible to ignore. The two or three other things are her personal skills. Which I think this is well balanced right now. She certainly won't cheat in abilities against anyone.

I would even bet some characters will feel more advantaged than she is soon or later. Her compounding skills, aka ability to make stuff will play one of the bigger roles as well as the use of her whip. But otherwise...? I'd understand that she'd be seen as unbalanced if she had more skills than that. She has no magic to counter magic users so all she has is her own capabilities. Although she does have the one advantage of collar doing nothing for her. BUT she needs to find resources to make her potion stuff. So she looks good to me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Warning said:

I mean, my first attempt was with thoughts that were less "restricted" and more "it should not be too bad, it's not like it's ranked roleplaying". XD As it is though, I have all attributes I need on her anyway. Perhaps the term "high stamina" was misunderstood here because of course she is not a goddess of stamina but she will be tough. Her hearing AND sight are impossible to ignore. The two or three other things are her personal skills. Which I think this is well balanced right now. She certainly won't cheat in abilities against anyone.

I would even bet some characters will feel more advantaged than she is soon or later. Her compounding skills, aka ability to make stuff will play one of the bigger roles as well as the use of her whip. But otherwise...? I'd understand that she'd be seen as unbalanced if she had more skills than that. She has no magic to counter magic users so all she has is her own capabilities. Although she does have the one advantage of collar doing nothing for her. BUT she needs to find resources to make her potion stuff. So she looks good to me.

I dunno too much about advantages of others, but I'm actually surprised I'm seeing less magic users than I originally expected. I somehow expected more, anti-magic collars notwithstanding, and I had even planned to make Archer be more amused/surprised/impressed with other's use of magic, even if he himself did not have any. 

The alchemy ability almost seems like it could be a big help in mitigating the load of helping to heal others off of our only medical character. I suppose right now, Archer is counting his blessings no one seems to have any offensive magic in their repertoire. His abilities are evidently less combative and more exploratory and hopefully helpful to others if it comes to that... Well, if I can get the redheaded buttmunch to want to help others for anything but profit in credits. : p

... Actually now I need to wonder, credits probably won't do anything for anyone now given they're not on a strict earning system due to lack of oversight...

Edited by Gardsorm
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Gardsorm said:

I dunno too much about advantages of others, but I'm actually surprised I'm seeing less magic users than I originally expected. I somehow expected more, anti-magic collars notwithstanding, and I had even planned to make Archer be more amused/surprised/impressed with other's use of magic, even if he himself did not have any. 

The alchemy ability almost seems like it could be a big help in mitigating the load of helping to heal others off of our only medical character. I suppose right now, Archer is counting his blessings now one seems to have any offensive magic in their repertoire. His abilities are evidently less combative and more exploratory and hopefully helpful to others if it comes to that... Well, if I can get the redheaded buttmunch to want to help others for anything but profit in credits. : p

Here's the fun thing. Her ability to compound depends on the herb she finds. Like magic, her healing won't magically restore someone to full health. I think the reason so far for the lack of magic is because, and I mean no offense, magic isn't really that tempting. Good to heal a small wound once in a while. Or to spawn a weapon (Which granted, can be godly in the wrong hands) but they consume enough MP that they're a "once in a moon" kind of use. It's like melee vs magic in RPGs. Infinite melee or limited magic. Easy vs hard. XD

Not only that, having magic takes away two abilities. Abilities can be constant (like agility giving a lot of possibilities all the time or even night vision) versus once in a moon spell that might have a use once. It's only my analysis side speaking really but I didn't really have any intentions to use magic with any of my characters. The general and racial skills are too useful to sacrifice them for limited magic, at least for what I want to do with them. I am not one for strategic spell casting so I went with the more traditional "I need my skills".

Edit: You also said something important here. Magic collar. Magic would be useless anyway for the abilities they take away unless someone can find a way to get rid of the collars. So it doesn't sound very tempting nor fun to me. It does sound like it's "Easy vs hard". Risk vs reward. Risk using magic but you have to undo the collar for the premium stuff, IF they give any advantage whatsoever. In a game, it would be easy to see which is the more "beginner difficulty" choice. So I decided to go with beginner difficulty characters.

19 minutes ago, Gardsorm said:

... Actually now I need to wonder, credits probably won't do anything for anyone now given they're not on a strict warning system due to lack of oversight...

I mean, they could perhaps need them for between-prisoner trading. For... reasons. Otherwise, yep, currency might be completely useless to them...

Edited by Warning
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warning said:

Here's the fun thing. Her ability to compound depends on the herb she finds. Like magic, her healing won't magically restore someone to full health. I think the reason so far for the lack of magic is because, and I mean no offense, magic isn't really that tempting. Good to heal a small wound once in a while. Or to spawn a weapon (Which granted, can be godly in the wrong hands) but they consume enough MP that they're a "once in a moon" kind of use. It's like melee vs magic in RPGs. Infinite melee or limited magic. Easy vs hard. XD

Not only that, having magic takes away two abilities. Abilities can be constant (like agility giving a lot of possibilities all the time or even night vision) versus once in a moon spell that might have a use once. It's only my analysis side speaking really but I didn't really have any intentions to use magic with any of my characters. The general and racial skills are too useful to sacrifice them for limited magic, at least for what I want to do with them. I am not one for strategic spell spell use so I went with the more traditional "I need my skills".

That's absolutely a valid way of thinking about it. I admit I was still lulled by the prospect of magic, and knowinf myself, I know exactly how I would make it happen... But Archer didn't feel like the sort to use magic, and I think in any setting I've played him, he never was. He was always more about science and technology. Plus I agree, lacking magic meant more room for potentially helpful skills that synergized with my character's focuses and history. 

I may explore magic if the will to create another character or two strikes me, just to see how I can do it, and how well it may work out, but I'm happiest with Archer for now because he's a familiar personality for me that plays to a skill set I can enjoy a great deal in a setting like this. :3 

• Love 1

Sooo looking at the above gave me a bit of an idea for an ability... is there a chance i can get the ability to transfer my mana to someone else? I feel like that gives a big boon to any wanabe magic users, and leans into me playing the "someones bitch" archtype

...aside from that some limited invisibility is incredibly interesting for the sneaky beaky mage angle im going for so far

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Warning

Fonfon is accepted.

@DreamsnThings

Yea, I could see transfering mana to someone else happening. Also limited invisibility should be doable. Stress on word limited because this is such strict and limited game as some players have pointed out : ) Weird combination of fantasy races with low fantasy setting : p 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DreamsnThings said:

Sooo looking at the above gave me a bit of an idea for an ability... is there a chance i can get the ability to transfer my mana to someone else? I feel like that gives a big boon to any wanabe magic users, and leans into me playing the "someones bitch" archtype

...aside from that some limited invisibility is incredibly interesting for the sneaky beaky mage angle im going for so far

+1 for limited invisibility, I love me some sneaky magics!

-signed, someone who has horribly misused magic for recreational use and self-amusements. >.> 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Kissa said:

Also limited invisibility should be doable. Stress on word limited

How does 10 minutes total per day sound, with some leeway to split it u, but having some kind of requirement to be able to use it?

Also if im not mistaken i have 1 more ability assuming i have the invisibility, magic picking, and mana transfer right?

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, DreamsnThings said:

How does 10 minutes total per day sound, with some leeway to split it u, but having some kind of requirement to be able to use it?

Also if im not mistaken i have 1 more ability assuming i have the invisibility, magic picking, and mana transfer right?

10 mins with some limitation sounds good. Maybe invisibility literally affects just her, so she needs to be naked? If she touches something or something touches her it will break the invisibility? Something like rain would be enough to break it. The limitation doesn't need to be either one. I'm just throwing these here.

There are max 2 magic abilities. So invisibility, magic picking and mana transfer would make 3 and have to cut down one. 

Also reading the discussion it seems like there might be small misunderstanding. Max 2 magic abilities means at most there can be 2, but there can be only 1 magic ability too. In that case the extra slot would transfer to special skills and abilities side.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Needing to be naked seems like a fun balance point, also can lead to some fun moments down the line...

...as for needing to cut down... well... fuck...

...the magic transfer is neat but is probably the least defining for the character...

I need to look at what the other categories mean i guess...

• Love 1
  • Woohoo 1