Curiosity killed the cat

It's been over a week since Vivi arrived in Alter, and started working as a maid in her aunt’s inn, The Batfish. Something is truly amiss here, with Vivi noticing many strange things occurring with the townsfolk. They are strange in both appearance and behavior. Even her aunt, who was once a jovial innkeeper, has become a wretched hermit, never leaving the safety of her room and leaving day to day operation of the inn to Vivi.

Besides the locals, Hunters prowl the town, armed to the teeth, and many seem to be less than sane. Some have been staying at the inn, while others seem to be squatting at dilapidated buildings across Alder.

Today, while tending to her aunt, Vivi found a small journal among her things, and since her aunt is no capacity to object, she decided to take it. Finding the inn quiet as usual, Vivi decides to sit at the front desk, and read the journal, which begins to reveal how the town of Alder began to unravel.

• Love 1

Chazin entered through the main entrance of the inn. There were no weapons on his person. Well, visible ones, at least. He looked around and decided that it had looked suitable enough for him to rent a room. He looked at the girl sitting at the front desk and found her to be oddly sane looking for the rest of the people in this crazy town. Chazin wished to find out what was happening, and quickly.

"Hello, can I get a room to stay in for a couple of weeks?"

His voice was gentle, but fairly deep . It was soothing nonetheless, and very calm. He was more sane than most of the people in the town, and he clearly showed it. He flashes some money, more than one that looked like him would be expected to have.

Vivi bows her head to the lady hunter, knowing that she will do her usual routine. However a deep voice speaks eloquently, something seemingly lost in this town. She turns to see a man in strange garb, but seemingly unarmed.

"Ah of course sir! Please fill out the guest book and I will get you a key."

Vivi opens a large ledger on the desk, filled with names and dates, some completely illegible. She then turns around and grabs a key on a ring out of a cabinet behind the desk.

• Love 1

It takes Chazin no time at all to fill out the his spot in the guest book, his signature significantly more legible than the rest of the names in writing on the fragile paper. He waits for the girl to come back with the key, to which he graciously takes the key and nods respectfully towards the young woman. He gives her a soft, warm smile that she had most likely not seen in a while. Not in a town like this.

At the sound of the click, a throwing dagger was dropped from the right sleeve into the hand of the cautious Chazin. He held it, but kept it concealed as he turned to where the noise was coming from. He sighs softly when he sees that it was just the strange woman transforming and cleaning her weapon. In a town like this, one could never be too cautious. He stealthily reconceals the dagger and heads up to his room.

Edited by ShuyaHideaki

I smile warmly back at the new guest, and wish him a comfortable stay.

"And of course, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask!"

I turn to the hunter cleaning her formidable weapon.

"Of course Miss, I will get you one right away." 

I scurry over to the kitchen, and make a passable sandwich out of the meager ingredients available. Namely roasted lamb and pickles slices on a roll. I bring out the sandwich along with a glass of crimson wine, and gently place them in front of the hunter.

Chazin came back to the entrance after about an hour of getting ready for a hunt in his room. He had several concealed weapons on him but they were small enough to not be noticeable if anyone were to look at him. He looks at the girl and stops her while as she was returning to the front desk. Her name was printed on a small bar on the side of the desk.

"Vivi, eh... So... Could I talk to you in private? Maybe somewhere not here where others are watching and listening?"

He smiles gently and the tone of his voice was kind, but hushed. The way he talked was like he was from another time, another place. He certainly looked like he had not come from these parts. He looks at Vivi in the eyes, knowing that it was the best way to get what one wanted when they needed answers

Vivi touches her hand to her cheek,slightly flustered by the attention of such a unique man.

"Yes, of course, please follow me to the storage room."

Her heart flutters a bit, being alone with a man, but Vivi powers through and leads the man to a latched door near the kitchen. She undoes the latch and gestures the man inside, as she will follow and close the door.

Of course, Chazin thought that she was cute, and maybe a little too innocent for this town, but he didn't think of this situation as she was taking it. For now, he was strictly business, and once they were alone, it showed in the tone of his voice. He leans against a small stack of boxes and crosses his arms. He didn't want to push her too much, though, so he only decided on a few questions to ask.
"So, Vivi... Do you know what's happening in this town? Anything that could give me a hint on how to fix these broken people to their normal states? Well, if they do have one, at least."

His gaze was dark and cold, but there was always that slightly playful shimmer in his eyes that shone through on occasions. The storage room seemed cold and smelled like old wine and food. Chazin removes the tinted glasses that hid his eyes. He showed her his eyes, his inhuman ones that were black where white should be and the irises were completely scarlet red. There was a demon on his biological radar, but he just couldn't pinpoint it like he could with normal demons. It was clear that this one was using some sort of cloaking spell to hide itself.

Vivi is taken aback a bit by the odd eyes of the guest, but having seen the oddities that plague the town, not surprised.

" I have been reading my aunt journal, from back when she could write. Slot of it seems to be hearsay. But one thing keeps getting mentioned over and over, a person."

I pull the journal out of my apron pocket, and flip open to a page.

"A...Mad Jacob?"

Chazin shakes his head with frustration. He'd never heard that name before, not even having a brief whisper of it. He looks at her and sighs, seeing that she had been caught off guard by his eyes. They suddenly begin to turn into normal eyes, white with blue irises. Maybe this would make it a bit easier for her

I've... never heard of that. Is there anything to explain what that means in there?"

He glances slightly at the book in her hands as he fights the temptation to take it from her and look through it

Vivi shakes her head, and closes the journal.

"Her writing becomes more and more haggard, and by the time she mentions him, it is just scribbles. But she does mention that he walks through the town at all hours."

Vivi hangs her head, and apologizes to the strange man.

"I'm sorry. I wish I could be of more help. But, be careful, even the hunters who linger too long become, well..." 

She gestures to the storeroom door, alluding to the hunter woman sitting out in the dining area.

He nods graciously and slips the tinted glasses back onto his face, his eyes returning to their normal red and black color. He gives her a soft warm smile before taking her hand and kissing it softly. He then reaches out and grabs the handle of the door, opening it and then slipping out. He closes the door behind him, leaving Vivi alone in the storage room by herself. He slightly, cautiously eyes the strange hunter woman sitting at the table in the dining area of the inn. He walks out, more silent than anything in the universe

He stops just as he had set foot out the door. He words sent small chills down his spine, but he chose rightfully to ignore it. If he had any trouble, he would take care of it quickly. The door is closed, but the words of the strange hunter woman still rang through his rather sensitive ears. They were strange, and he hadn't run into any problems during the night since he'd been here. It was dark, but his sensitive eyes allowed him to see through the piercing darkness as if it were still daytime. He needn't wear his glasses now. They weren't needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About four hours later, Chazin returns, only his skin speckled with blood and a strange black substance. It was clear that he'd had a run in with something, but what it was was unknown. Even Chazin was unsure. It had certainly caught him off guard, though. Luckily, he'd made it out of the encounter safe and untouched, though the creature was not so lucky. He glances at the table where the hunter woman was sitting, only to find her still residing in the same seat. With great hesitance, he walks over and takes a seat across from her at the table. She wasn't too bad looking either, but it was her demeanor that set him off.

He had forgotten to put on the glasses that he had removed and put in a pouch that currently rested against his hip. His eyes were currently in their normal state, black whites with red irises. He looks at her with an almost stone cold glare. It wasn't meant to be rude or anything, just something that he was used to doing with strange people. Especially ones that seemed sketchy. He taps his fingers against the dark, oak wood of the table before speaking.

"So you might have an idea of what those creatures out there are? And who is this 'Father Jacob' you speak of? Is he the same as 'Mad Jacob' that Vivi over there mentioned?"

He gestured towards the door, then to the front desk

Edited by ShuyaHideaki