Jump to content

Old school games.


JennyDK
 Share

Recommended Posts

Allright, time to feel old 😆

This is just a thread for casual chat about old gaming stuff

Would love to hear the oldest memories you guys have in gaming.
Like:
1) Your earliest computer and/or console.
2) The first game(s) you played.
3) How you got started.


For me it was:
My first PC, which name I can't recall, was without Windows of any kind, so I had to use MS-DOS and the REAL kind of floppy disks 😛 it was quite a time to be alive.
My first console was probably the Amiga 32 - a pretty fun machine actually.

The first game I recall playing, was one for the Amiga 500 PC - it was something rather simple.
And that is pretty much how I got started - using my older brother's Amiga machine.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was PC for me, never had any consoles. 🙂 I already don't remember what kind of PC it was, but... At least I remember the games from it - "Digging Jim" (do not mistake for Earthworm Jim!) and "DX Ball 2". My dad got me that PC back in the day and... Well. Here I am now. Working in IT and spending my free time gaming. Lots of things.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Were those games on floppy drives (those who did flop), the other floppies or CDs? =3

My first PC games were stuff like Duke Nukem 1 in monochrome, Desert Storm and Guldkornsexpressen 😛 pretty simple stuff.

What sort of IT work do you do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They were already installed on the PC itself, so... No floppies or even CDs. 🙂 

And it's... Complicated to explain. I guess... Tech support? In a small private business, so it's kinda... Uh... The "tech person" rather than directly IT. I handle all the "tech" stuff together with another person. Which means everything from the actual PCs/Laptops in the business, to getting phones, microwaves and other things, as well as doing some courier duties and more... xD So... Yeah. Complicated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WEll, then: Was it so old that it took a certain kind of floppy or did it take CDs? EVen if you didn't use either of those, surely you can remember if it could accept them?

OH well, as long as it's something you enjoy showing up for and working with, that's all great and nice ^^

What was your favourite game? If any.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I got started with Flash games online and my father's NES. That would probably make the first "real" game I played Super Mario Bros., albeit a couple decades after it came out. I played those games for a couple years before I received a DS for Christmas, and after that I didn't really do anything new until I got to high school and got my first laptop. And wow, what a difference that made to the old family Dell Dimension 4600 I had been using! Four whole gigabytes of RAM! TWO CORES! Windows 7! It was like magic, and things kind of snowballed from there. I'm currently sitting in a room with three PCs I've built, so you can tell where my interests lie now 😛

I still go visit those Flash games every so often, though. There's just something about them...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peculiarity said:

Well, I got started with Flash games online and my father's NES. That would probably make the first "real" game I played Super Mario Bros., albeit a couple decades after it came out. I played those games for a couple years before I received a DS for Christmas, and after that I didn't really do anything new until I got to high school and got my first laptop. And wow, what a difference that made to the old family Dell Dimension 4600 I had been using! Four whole gigabytes of RAM! TWO CORES! Windows 7! It was like magic, and things kind of snowballed from there. I'm currently sitting in a room with three PCs I've built, so you can tell where my interests lie now 😛

I still go visit those Flash games every so often, though. There's just something about them...

The way I got introduced to Flash games was the old Newgrounds, where we would be playing stuff there in the computer lab in school xD even though of course we were supposed to work. Later on it was mostly stuf from /f/ on 4Chan. Especiallly cool since I could save them on my HDD for later use ^^

I can "one up" you on specs 😛 I remember when CDs were first a thing...and Windows 95. Who is the old one now, punk? 😉
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

WEll, then: Was it so old that it took a certain kind of floppy or did it take CDs? EVen if you didn't use either of those, surely you can remember if it could accept them?

OH well, as long as it's something you enjoy showing up for and working with, that's all great and nice ^^

What was your favourite game? If any.

Well, yes, it was old. 3.5 floppy drive and a super old cd drive. Both were there. But it was years upon years later when I actually started to get more "into" PC stuff as opposed to just gaming on it 🙂 

 

And I can't exactly name ONE favorite game... Just like with music styles, I love more than one. 😄  I mean, I can give you my steam name so you could check my library... If you want.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, goodness, I'm hardly trying to one-up anyone haha. I'm quite aware I'm the youngest person in the thread by far!

To answer your favorite game question, though it was directed at TLC, I would have to go with either Team Fortress 2 or Minecraft, with TF2 taking a very slight lead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first time I even know CDs were a thing, was when the first Worms game came out - it was like "Whoooa...you need ONE shiny disc and not 10+ floppies to play a game?". It was quite a huge step for sure.

Yeah, same here -  both for games and music, really. Feel free to add me if you wish: You ought to find me on "Gaghiel" (usual username most places).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peculiarity said:

Oh, goodness, I'm hardly trying to one-up anyone haha. I'm quite aware I'm the youngest person in the thread by far!

To answer your favorite game question, though it was directed at TLC, I would have to go with either Team Fortress 2 or Minecraft, with TF2 taking a very slight lead.

Well, I am still interested in hearing the favourites in others ^^ I would have a hard time deciding on one.

The game I played through most times would be Day of The Tentacle - I finished it about 6-7 times I think,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an older brother who had everything I wanted. The first console we had was this weird thing I think my dad found in a garage sale somewhere. It was a tan box with no cartridges and two paddle type controllers wired directly to it (no plugs, just wire in at both ends). When you started it up it only played pong. Black and white pong. Two lines, a dot and a beep. My brother had a Super Nintendo and a Sega Genesis with a CD-player add-on. Later he got a Nintendo 64.

My first PC was a Packard Bell with an Intel 486 DX4 with I think a whopping 4 GB of RAM? It was a hand-me-down from my dad to my brother to me. The hard drive was 420MB which I upgraded to a massive 540MB, which we all knew we would never fill. I had a 28 baud modem that I upgraded to 56k, and dialed directly into my brother's friends computers to beat the snot out of them in Doom. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ohhhh, Pong consoles. There were tons of those! Now you are making me feel less old 😉 Oh wow, lots of fun consoles beyond that it seems. The only way I got to play NES was when we visited a family we knew in Norway or when I visited a friend I had, whose older brother had one (first time I tried Mortal Kombat).

Ohhh, good old 486's. I think my second PC was about that powerful too. It had Windows 98 SE. It actually lasted a reallllly long time before dying out and getting replaced.

I had a CD with DOOM mods where it most often replaced the sounds. So I could play DOOM where someone use soundclips from stuff like Beavis and Butthead.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that doesn't actually sound right. I don't honestly remember. I just remember being impressed. I think my brother maxed it out, so whatever "maxed out" ram was for a DX4. Maybe it was only 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bit of Googling suggests that you may have the number right, IsabellaRose, but in MB instead of GB. It isn't really clear, honestly, and I'm going off a slightly garbled EBay listing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JennyDK said:

Which games did it have @IsabellaRose ?

My computer? Doom I think. I don't remember anything on that one. It might have been the one I played Sam and Max Hit The Road and LucasArts The Dig on. I loved those games. Oh, and Myst. But those were all on CD, I think, and I know my first computer didn't have a CD drive. I had to wait til my brother got a new one handed down from my dad when he upgraded, then I got the 3rd hand, hand me down parts. I was usually on the cutting edge of obsolete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Peculiarity said:

A bit of Googling suggests that you may have the number right, IsabellaRose, but in MB instead of GB. It isn't really clear, honestly, and I'm going off a slightly garbled EBay listing.

You're probably right. I wasn't really into tech then. It was just a means to an end, which was mostly gaming and chatting, and later cybersex with inappropriately older men.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IsabellaRose said:

My computer? Doom I think. I don't remember anything on that one. It might have been the one I played Sam and Max Hit The Road and LucasArts The Dig on. I loved those games. Oh, and Myst. But those were all on CD, I think, and I know my first computer didn't have a CD drive. I had to wait til my brother got a new one handed down from my dad when he upgraded, then I got the 3rd hand, hand me down parts. I was usually on the cutting edge of obsolete.

Wow...funny you mentioned Sam & Max Hit The Road. That is exactly the last old game I played via GoG (good old games) - a few days ago, actually and I am getting close to finally finishing it.
I have Myst there too, but it seems really daunting to get into.

Yeah, me too. I never go from top gear either (way too expensive), so I mainly go for stuff that can play current stuff and a bit further ahead fairly well. It usually works fine.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Nintendo was my jam, Crono Trigger, DCK 1,2,3, Those weirdly difficult star wars games...Actually I think thats all I had honestly, did not have money lol. Really came into my own with the 64 and playstation though, FF7, Zelda, Banjo Kazooie

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

I have Myst there too, but it seems really daunting to get into.

Myst was... I got lost in that game. It was one of the first games I spent hours and hours every night getting lost in, trying to solve puzzles, making a million notes in the guide book that came with it that was mostly just blank pages. I LOVED that game. I think I still have that fully annotated book somewhere...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 Dreamers

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.