*Chapter 8: All's Well That Ends Well*

*This chapter contains a Pokémon version of the Creation Theory, which may be offensive to devoutly religious people. Reader discretion is advised.*

*Nighttime that same day...*

It's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together perfectly. Such was the case for Shaymin and Tyler. Whitney was able to have Shaymin admitted to the Pokémon Centre immediately. Some teamwork between her and Tyler allowed Shaymin to get in without attracting any unwanted attention. The surgery was quite simple, equivalent to patching a rip in an article of clothing, and, with Tyler's skills, it went off without a hitch. Shaymin awoke with no side effects from the anaesthesia. Thanks to Tyler's near-encyclopaedic knowledge of the layout of the Pokémon Centre, the group managed to slip out effortlessly, attracting no more attention than when they came in. Healed from her lesser condition, Shaymin was able to comfortably swallow the medicinal syrup she nearly choked on before. Chlorpromazine, in and of itself, is a powerful sedative, which is why Tyler had to metaphorically jump through hoops to get ahold of some. As such, Shaymin fell asleep soon after taking it. It was a few peaceful, beautiful hours before she woke up, but where she fell asleep and where she awoke were 2 completely different places.

Gone were the bookshelves lining pale pink walls. Gone was the afternoon sunlight streaming through the windows. Gone was the gentle breeze from the ceiling fan, offering her protection from her fever climbing even higher. And gone was the lovely bed that had been her home since Tyler began taking care of her. There was still a breeze, though, and she cooed softly as it ruffled her fur and quills. Considering that she fell asleep during the afternoon, it took a little bit for her eyes to adjust to the darkness; clearly, it was nighttime. She didn't know where she was, but she suddenly became aware of the sound of running water. "What's going on? Where... Where am I?" A voice from behind her almost made her jump. "Oh; you're awake!" It was Tyler. Shaymin realised at that moment that she was lying on his lap. "Tyler? Oh, thank Arceus! Where are we?" Tyler giggled as he stroked her leafy quills. "You don't remember? We went here together with Kevin one night. You and I laid down on a blanket and did some stargazing." Tyler's answer brought a smile to Shaymin's face. How could she forget? "That was one of the best nights of my life! So, that must mean... we're at the park?!"

Being a Legendary Pokémon, Shaymin, as well as her countless ancestors, had been to just as many places, and seen just as many breathtaking sights. The Shaymin enamoured with Tyler, for instance, had seen such awe-inspiring sights as the frigid cliffs of Mount Coronet in the winter, the nigh-untouched paradise of Southern Island in the summer, a lovely view of Unova in autumn from atop Dragonspiral Tower, and Floaroma Meadow(made, ironically, by her ancestors.) in springtime, overrun with beguiling flowers. Arceus even ensured the survival of Shaymin as a species by having Groudon erect an island in the extreme northeast of the Sinnoh region. As a way of thanking the first Shaymin for covering the newly-created planet with plant life, He designated that island as her domain, off-limits to all others without her permission to enter. She lived comfortably on the island for many hundreds of years before losing her life in a failed attempt to quell a violent argument between Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina. Legends say that Giratina swallowed her whole, which he was banished to a distorted, twisted dimension for as punishment. During her life, the first Shaymin beautified the island to such a degree that, when civilised humans began roaming the earth, adventurers and artists alike referred to it as the "Flower Paradise," which is what it is still called to this day. In addition, in a remote part of the world, the first Shaymin's children founded a village, far from humans. But, even with an island and a village to herself, this Shaymin in particular far preferred the company of her loved one, and she had made no effort to hide that fact throughout her life. To her, an uneventful day with Tyler was preferable to an adventure that even some of the other Legendaries could scarcely imagine. Shaymin wasn't lying when she said that her night in the park with Tyler was one of the most pleasurable experiences of her life. "That's right, Shaymin," Tyler answered cheerfully. "I thought you'd like to come here, to celebrate the beginning of your recovery."

Shaymin was ecstatic simply to be at the National Park again. Thus, when Tyler asked her to follow him a little further into the park, she was more than happy to do so. Tyler led her to the glorious fountain in its centre. Next to it, there was a dark red blanket laid out on the grass. "Ladies first," Tyler said, inviting Shaymin to lie down. Instead, though, she looked up at him. "You mean... we're really doing this? Just like before?" "Well, not quite," Tyler answered. "Kevin isn't here; it's just us." The situation just kept getting better for Shaymin, who still had her gaze fixed on the object of her affection. "Just us,... alone?" "Just us and the wildlife," Tyler assured her. "And most of that is asleep. So what are you waiting for? Let's not waste this time we have." Shaymin nodded in agreement, then curled up on the blanket. "Just like old times,... except better." Tyler soon joined her, lying down carefully, so as to avoid crushing her due to not being able to see her in the dark. "It sure is." As yet another gesture of kindness, he kissed her cheek, eliciting a soft gasp. "Huh? What was that for?" "Do I need a reason?" Tyler asked jokingly. "I love you, Shaymin. I've done a shitty job of showing it lately, but I truly love you. What's more, I'm gonna make sure you know it from now on. Starting right now." That was it for Shaymin; she couldn't help herself, and burst into tears. She didn't care if she woke up every Pokémon in the vicinity. As far as she was concerned, they weren't even there, anyway. Everything in the world that mattered to her was right in front of her. She was looking into the sapphire eyes of purpose, meaning, and love personified, at least to her. She didn't reply, at least not verbally, when Tyler asked if she was alright; she replied with a kiss of such passion, pure and unfettered, it brought tears to Tyler's eyes, too. He held his petite suitor closely, stroking her quills as carefully as if he were afraid they'd shatter if he applied pressure to them. He knew just as well as she did that they were both meant to be together, in a coupling ordained by Arceus Himself.

Shaymin was so comfortable in Tyler's arms, she fell asleep within minutes, and she slept so peacefully, Tyler didn't have the heart to wake her up. The stars would be there tomorrow, but moments like the one they shared come along once in a lifetime, and are meant to be savoured like vintage wine. Besides, after the horrors that Shaymin had been through, Tyler was certainly in no mood to deny her the comfort she desired and deserved. Instead, the rapid twittering of a flock of Pidgey at daybreak ended her slumber. When she awoke, she took a moment after remembering where she was to take in the untamed majesty of her surroundings. The early morning sunlight was dim, but, reflected in the water of the fountain, it seemed almost to set fire to it. All around her, the grass, as well, sparkled in the light. It hadn't rained; it was dew that made that happen. As beautiful as the morning sun, and its effects on the environment, were, they weren't the only things that caught Shaymin's attention. She and the Pidgey flock weren't the only ones awake so early. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, Goldenrod National Park played host to a contest in which trainers gathered and set out to capture one of the countless Bug-types that populate it. These Bug-types were all around. Some of them even crowded around Shaymin, fighting for a glimpse of the tiny Legendary. It was a bit too much for Shaymin, especially since she had only recently woken up, so she politely shooed them away. Now undisturbed, Shaymin took a deep breath of the fresh, lightly floral air and sighed. "It's even more beautiful than I remember it!" It wasn't until she heard the faint roar of a punk rock song that a thought occurred to her. Her heart, which, after the night before, was flying as high as she used to be able to, sank like a rock in a pond. "What day is it? Tyler? Ty; wake up!"

Tyler awoke with a yawn before turning to look at the source of the noise that awoke him. Shaymin, of course. "What's the matter, Shaymin?" "What time is it?" Shaymin asked. Tyler checked the PokéGear he kept in his pocket. "7:00 AM, Thursday. Why?" When next Shaymin spoke, her normal, fluttery voice dripped with fear. "The contest! Tyler, we need to get out of here before somebody sees us!" Evidently, Tyler was too groggy immediately upon waking up to realise the seriousness of what he said to answer Shaymin's question. "Oh, yeah... That's - yawn - that's today; isn't it?" He giggled softly. "Well, sure, we can go, but I didn't think you'd be interested in - FUCK!! You're right! Let's go!" He got up quickly and grabbed the blanket the both of them had laid on. "Wait; how're we gonna get out of here? Trainers are probably lined up at the gates." Shaymin's heart sank even further at that bit of information. She looked around frantically for a way out. "Umm,... the trees! If we jump the fence, we can use the trees as cover!" As ridiculous and risky as Shaymin's idea sounded to herself, it apparently seemed logical to Tyler, because he nodded, then reached down to pick her up. Just before he touched her, though, she let out a yelp and fell backwards, as if she had been punched hard in the chest. "Shaymin?!" Tyler called out in shock. "Are you alright?!" Shaymin righted herself, gasping for air. "D-Did I just get Thunder Shocked?" "There aren't any Electric-types here," Tyler replied. Shaymin tottered over to him, hoping that what she felt was just a sting from an unseen Weedle or Wurmple. Unfortunately, she had taken only a few steps before the sensation struck her again, but even more powerful now. This time, rather than being thrown backwards, she shook violently before collapsing. The last thing her mind registered before she blacked out was the birdsong of the Pidgey becoming quicker, and synchronized. It almost sounded like a heart monitor.

*Meanwhile...*

"Charging... CLEAR!!" In truth, it was still Wednesday afternoon. As perfect as Shaymin's dream would've been for everyone involved, it was, unfortunately, just that: a dream. She had, indeed, gotten into the Pokémon Centre without attracting undue attention, and the operation that she was undergoing was, indeed, a simple one. As was often the case in Shaymin's life, though, it didn't quite work out as well as it should've. Tyler had made a great deal of progress in repairing her esophageal tear, but she suddenly went into ventricular fibrillation on the operating table. The shocks that Shaymin felt in her dream were caused by a defibrillator Tyler was using in an attempt to steady her heartbeat. The song she heard was Green Day's "Jesus Of Suburbia," which was playing on a stereo system in the operating room. Music of the physician's choice is commonly played during surgery, and, for whatever reason, Tyler was in the mood for Green Day. "Dammit! What's causing this?!" he exclaimed, angry at nobody in particular. "Charging... CLEAR!!" The defibrillator made the classic "click-thud!" noise as Tyler firmly pressed both of the paddles onto Shaymin's torso. The particular defibrillator Tyler was using was made especially for use on smaller Pokémon; the metal-plated paddles that delivered the shock were considerably smaller than in normal defibrillators. Shaymin jerked violently as the electricity coarsed through her body, and the "click-thud!" rang out, but the reading on the monitor she was hooked up to didn't change. Tyler lifted the paddles, sighing with exasperation. "You're not leaving yet, Shaymin! Not after all you've been through! Y-You can't go! Not... N-N-Not yet!" He quickly adjusted the settings on the defibrillator. It was clear from his tone of voice that his pleas for Shaymin's survival were coming from love, rather than a purely medical standpoint. "Now, c'mon! If I crank this up much higher, I'll electrocute you!" He took a deep breath, then resumed the defibrillation attempt. "CLEAR!!" Again, Shaymin convulsed from the shock, but her condition didn't improve. "This can't be happening!" Tyler told himself. "Not now... For Arceus' sake, not now, after we've come so far!" His eyes filled with tears as he lifted the paddles, then brought them back down again. "C-Clear!"

*Author's note*

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Well, this just got serious! I imagine this chapter is gonna get me some pretty harsh criticism, by the way, but that's not a reason not to post it! So, come at me!

The end of this chapter is a medically accurate depiction of proper use of a defibrillator. The media tends to depict defibrillators as things you use when the patient's heart stops beating. In reality, you use them to MAKE the heart stop, in the hope that it will resume normal rhythm when it starts up again. Defibrillators(affectionately referred to as "Packer Whackers" in Australia.) are so called because they are used in the event of certain types of arrhythmias(irregular hearbeat.), and, in Shaymin's unfortunate case, ventricular fibrillation, which is an immediately life-threatening condition in which the heart shudders, rather than beating. This makes the heart unable to pump blood. Even the Trauma Center series incorrectly depicts defibrillator use, only making it available to the player in the event of cardiac arrest(when the heart stops entirely.). For an example, look up "Trauma Center Second Opinion For The Greater Good" on YouTube.

As for the rest of the chapter, I have to admit, I cried while writing the kissing scenes. This entire chapter just seemed to flow from me, idea after idea. It's about time, too. The question is, though, do you like it? And, of course, should I bother with Chapter 9?

• Senior Staff

I was actually aware of the defibrillator thing. Finally some medical knowledge I do have. xD
"And then she didn't wake up but it was still just a dream". Screw you Ardilla (just kidding). xDD

I did kind of enjoy this chapter, but I'm really waiting to see if Shaymin recovers or not.
Please do continue. I look forward to seeing where else you take this.

• Community Administrator

Oh man, you actually had my going D: Sometimes I can just tell that they are actually in a dream but this time I didn't D: You wrote this chapter very well. And damn you for leaving on a cliffhanger! 

This has to be one of your best chapters yet.

Archived