E3 Discussion and Hype Train

E3 is on its final day and there are certainly some excited things to come and that have been announced. I don't know if any of you guys have been watching it! But I'd love to hear what you guys are hyped about! Disappointed in! Or looking forward too! What didn't get announced that you were looking for!

For me personally I'm looking forward to the nintendo direct! Hopefully some fire emblem news! But also the new battlefield game looks really, really impressive. 

Yesterday was by far the worst day. Mostly a snore fest outside of the Capcom presentation. The rest of the time was filled with a lot of cringe and virtue signaling. 

The high point so far was the Elden Ring trailer and release date. My body is ready to die again. And again. And again. 

Currently watching the stream at the moment. Not sure what to anticipate since idk much about both dev. I only pay attention to SEGA and Playstation after all. Won't lie, i still worry PS5 won't hold up well but who knows. Let's just bask in the hype train while it last!

And then wreck it up like what happen to Fast Furious and Cyberpunk! 💣

2 minutes ago, WritesNaughtyStories said:

Hey... they fixed Cyberpunk. Kind of... maybe

All right, yeah, fuck it. That thing derailed and dumped toxic goo all over the country side, but the fanboys are swimming in it.

I think most people broke out of their delusions over Cyberpunk by now. I'm still waiting for some more major patches before I give it another shot. 

Back on topic, Nintendo is about to start and I'm curious to see what they got. For Bandai-Namco later today I hope to see more Elden Ring. That would be sun praise worthy. \[T]/

I'm moderately happy with the next smash character! I think they look pretty good, and I can't imagine there are many complaints.

The Mario party news is like 100 years too late. It sucks they are just now adding to that game.

Advance wars HYPE! Let's go!

Pretty middling direct overall in my opinion.

There's always some people in chat who are disappointed. This time no different. Saw some crying for Pokemon, others for Splattoon, and so on. Now to wait like four more hours for possibly my most anticipated one, namely that of Bandai-Namco. Hoping to see some Elden Ring and Tales of Arise footage.

Well usually the other thing people anticipate on E3 other than new gizmo and games, is company presentative blunders and whackiness. Remember XBOX one presentation that encourage us to NOT buy their new console? Mister Caffeine poor toilet joke as MC for Ubisoft? Yeah i'm one of those people. No toxicity, just want to find out what kind of crazy stuff those rich people gonna throw just to get people attention at their stage.

But that aside, i would say Nintendo Direct is most fun to watch than others. Just saying. Their way of presenting their stuff is just "here, this is what we made so far", done.

Is it okay if i say Pokemon is like FIFA? I mean, they release new game less than a year, it almost become actual sports game in a way!

@Moon Hound Hatiyeah i was confused then baffled then confused again because they just show one game, and then MANY ads of other game not made by them for no reason. I thought i missed it but when i re-watch the stream...they DID only shows one. But then again i can't blame them. They deliver their game way early before E3 which result no surprise value for audience other than trailers but no actual demo gameplay/footage shown at E3.

Speaking tales of arise, i won't lie, the trailer give me mixed impression of GE3 blended with Code Vein, then slap Tales title on it. But we'll see.

• Senior Staff

So we're going to have an E3 thread with only a minor mention of Metroid DREAD and not a single mention of BotW2? Allow me to correct this.

Metroid DREAD I am beyond excited for! I honestly didn't think I'd be excited by such a reveal, but it looks like it's fixing all the problems I had with Samus Returns and introducing a very unique concept for the Metroid series! Up until now, Samus has always dealt with organic lifeforms that have always not only had a priority for their own survival, but also had limits to endurance and were usually very predictable, often acting out of spite or hatred toward her. E.M.M.I. is shaping up to be a terrifying contrast to Samus' usual foes. A cold, calculating beast that cares about nothing other than fulfilling its programming. The bird chirping sound it makes gives off the vibe of a hunter that is normally supposed to be serene, but something is clearly off. That's all the more unnerving when you see it relentlessly chasing after you. This thing feels like the SA-X from Metroid Fusion but on a whole other level, and in a creative way as opposed to just being "bigger and scarier." The fact that there are seven of them throughout the game also tells me they're going to be a much more prevalent threat than ever before, and there'll be periods you'll need to stand perfectly still to avoid even making a sound. They've apparently had this idea for years, so I'm really excited to see what form it truly takes here on the Switch!

As for BotW2, we still don't know much, but the trailer definitely captures the imagination and I'm glad we can get theories about more than the same, like, 12 seconds of footage everybody has dissected to death. I think the darker tone of this game is really starting to show its colors. Beyond the bright colors of the sky islands, Link himself is looking rather rough compared to his previous iteration. It looks like he's being corrupted by Ganon's malice and his hair has grown which causes him to even resemble Ganondorf a bit more. Perhaps I have Metroid on the brain, but I'm getting the vibe of a story element similar to that of Prime 3 where Link's racing against the clock to avoid being completely overtaken by the Malice. It's also seeming like there's going to be some trace of time travel here since Link is seen both in this new design as well as his Champion's Tunic from BotW and the sky islands never seem to appear in the same shot as Link's more traditional outfit. I think we can expect some sort of OoT-esque time travel where Link can travel back and forth between a more peaceful Hyrule and one ruined by malice. I'm very excited to see where this goes as well!

There's also Mario Party Superstars which I'm also far more hyped for than I initially expected. While I do have concerns that playing it is going to give me that same feeling where I really just feel like I'd rather play an original Mario Party, I'm beyond excited to see a return to form to what Mario Party is supposed to be! I thought Super Mario Party was alright, but it only felt like a step in the right direction. It still held on to a lot of the problems I had with more recent Mario Party titles. I've noticed this new one still seems to be babying down some of the mechanics a bit, but it also introduces some really nice quality of life features that I'm not sure people would notice unless they've really played a lot of Mario Party to understand why they're so significant. Like star spaces being marked now, or how the bank now shows how many coins are stored. I'm really excited to see what boards remain to be seen! We've got Peach's Birthday Cake, Space Land, and Woody Woods, that's one board from MP1, 2, and 3. So I imagine the last two will be from MP 2 and 3 since MP1's boards are a bit unique. My predictions are Western Land and either Deep Blooper Sea or Chilly Waters! Though I also can't help but imagine that they'll feel the need to include a Bowser stage like Bowser Land, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Perhaps it's because I'm a dirty old pirate, but it just feels like Nintendo going. "OH people are unhappy with this lazy mario party game we made, you know the one that has like 4 boards and "online multiplayer" when it launched. The one they released like 3 years ago. I'm not excited to bring it out from it's shelves...and in my humble opinon those were some of the most boring boards...minus spaceland. I'm just super not excited for it at all.

And obligatory hot take of "I didn't like BoTW" but maybe I'll have to play another metroid game besides Super when it comes out and give it a go. That you successfully got me hyped for

• Senior Staff

For DREAD, it really seems so far that Metroid Fusion will probably give you the best idea of what to expect narratively. 

But yeah, I get not being a big fan of BotW. It's a huge departure from typical Zelda so it's not going to be for all Zelda fans. 

And yeah, I kinda felt that way about Super Mario Party myself, but a lot of people really enjoyed it, so I suppose it must've done something right. Mario Party Superstar, though, really feels like they tried their best to capture what people really loved about early Mario Party. Granted, it's been over 20 years since these original games were made, so they're definitely not going to be perfectly recreated. I'm really hoping the minigames feel more accurate, though, than Top 100. Because yikes I did not enjoy the way Top 100 butchered some of my favorite minigames.

Archived