[Fluffbeast x InkyLore] - Liberator (dom)

Throngs of people milled about by three separate job boards as the lupin man stood by a wooden desk, speaking to a older gnomish woman less than half his size. "Sophus of Praine, Knight of the Order of the Steel Claw, Cavalier 2nd Class." The fur on the fox-man's brow furrowed as he held in a growl. He had talked to three separate people before being directed to this old woman.

Tamlyn Pebblestand, a high ranking member of the Vicious Design mercenary guild, moved quickly for her part, writing down and filling out the paperwork that Sophus needed in order to legally start taking contracts with the guild. "Right, right." Tamlyn said as the nub of her pen scratched at the parchment. "Formerly, right? No longer with the order?"

"That is correct." Sophus' shoulders fell slightly in defeat. "I did not reenlist when my duty was done."

Tamlyn picked up a sheet of paper and read it. "Looks like they classified it as an Other Than Honorable Discharge. Does that sound right?"

A growl rose in the man's throat. "All beastfolk are given that discharge when they leave the order. I served faithfully and loyally. I did my duty and served three tours."

"Ah yes, I do remember that, now that you mention it." The small woman stacked her papers, corked her ink jar, and got up. "All of the paperwork seems to be in order. Just give me a few minutes, I need to run everything by the guildmaster. It shouldn't take much time, you can just mill about in the commons until I return." She turned and left, a loose scroll trailing behind her as she walked.

Sophus turned and headed toward the commons. He found a table and flagged down a server. His drink on the way, he waited for the guildmaster to assign him his first contract.

the chatter of the guild was light but shady as sophus became the subject matter of every sentence spoken and why shouldn't it, a new comer trying to registar as a mercenary with a military back ground no less, it was like a paladin becoming a warlock of all things and to be beastfolk no less. given sophus military background it does not appear that beast folk are a well appriciated race as there is a line of discrimination.

a little less then half a hour passed before the barmaided for his table had returned with his drink in hand, natrally she was apologetic about the wait, a bit more then just simple curtousy perhaps it was his intimidating presence or something else entirely. a few hours flew before he a tap on the shoulder greeted sophus.

" Hey friend, mind if i share a spot with you" another type of beast folk greeted this one had feline features and there attire would suggest that maybe they were a magic user of some kind. taking a seat without approvel he didn't sit in it like normal rather he stood in it in a squated possision it seemed uncomfortable just  looking at him...

" haven't seen someone like you to this guild looking to join the mercenary guild?"

5fbaea4b1652b1900fe98458c245aa9b.jpg

Sophus gave his new companion a nod, sliding his empty cup to a different side of the table so as not to have it between them. "By all means, have a seat. I could use at least a LITTLE company." Looking through an exterior window, he noted the dimming light. "There was a noonday sun when I got here." He hadn't expected GREAT service, but the single drink he had ordered had been empty now for at least two hours.

"To what do I owe the honor?" Sophus hadn't noticed many beastfolk when he was doing his people watching, but there had been a few. It also wasn't all that common for one of their kind to know much magic. At least not within the heart of the nation as they were.

" i was curious as to what a man of your status and reputation was doing at a guild like this," he asked and understable. the mercanary guild wasn't too bad per say but given sophus reputation he could have easily tried something more glorifying like being an adventure or monster hunter, a guild like this seemed ever more like a last resort if anything,...

The lupin man watched his companion for a minute, trying to figure out how to respond. He settled on an answer that was mostly true, if not wholely true. "I've spent my life in service to the crown. This avenue offers me the most freedom. Simple as that. Autonomy."

For the first time in hours, a bar maid dropped off a new drink for him, taking his empty mug back with her. He left it untouched as he continued to meet the feline man's gaze.

" given the tension between beast folk and humans i imagine it probably is, do you know what kind of  mercenary you'll lean towards being" affectively every person in the guild but most had sub type that refered to the kinds of jobs they took. those who decided to do a bit of everything were called Libarators though true to the name they did do basically anything for a price the most common jobs tend to be morally dubious....

in there discussion which would turn to be short leaved the receptionist would call a name threw out the guild " SOPHUS ?! ARE YOU STILL HERE"  

Sophus looked up from the conversation toward the receptionist. "Forgive me, but I need to go. I apologize for my rudeness." He stood up and adjusted his clothes before walking over to the woman calling his name. 

"I'm here." Clicking his heels out of habit, he stopped in front of her with a nod.

" ah there you are, thought you might have flaked on us, not that i would blame you if you did" the receptionist clearly didn't have a whole lot of faith in sophus despite his military background. she held paper work he had previously filled out...

" so your in luck, the guild master has approved your application to join the guild as a liberator...heres your I.D. to the guild, a map of common mercenary guilds and a small pouch of 10 gold to get you started... contracts have been in low demand lately though for your particular job mostly cuz libarators are hard to come by. but give it time and im sure news will spread fast... your welcome too pick from that board of black listed jobs over there though to help pass the time"

With a polite nod and a "Thank you." Sophus took what the receptionist handed him. As she turned away, he walked over to the blacklist board to see what jobs were available. He wasn't sure what kind of jobs were available, but he needed some form of money. The 10 gold given by the guild wasn't going to last long.

as you surf the black board, job request deemed rejected you were starting to understand why they were here many of the jobs payed terrible compared to a mercanaries pay. and the jobs were often asking for stuff more befitting a beginner level adventure... " find my pet" "child kidnapped"  and many others that either resulted in missing quest or baby sitting jobs......

among the many jobs one did stand out all it said was "liberation needed" supposedly a village was being tormented by a single person to which in the request was being refered to as a brat. the quest frequently updated there situation which is why this quest/job was a fairly thick package of several quest assembled together to look something like a script... from the first to the most recent update one could submise that it had been 10 years since this job was first posted... the job only asked to make this person disappear... it could mean killing a person or it could have ment to simply get rid of the probablem some how.

Sophus was bewildered by the ten-year old packet of information. He grabbed ot, taking it off the board and carrying it back to a table with him. He hated loose ends and unfinished work, which a 10 year old quest certainly qualified for. He had already decided that he was going to do this quest by the time he sat down to read it. The pay may not have been great, but there was a village that had needed help for a decade. This might be able to elevate him more than money, he'd just have to dip into his savings again if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

originally the price of the job was as low as 10 gold but over the years the inflation went up in according to the despiration of the people it was now 650 gold to rid a single individual. when the incident started it was just a kid casually causing trouble but in time she grew. amassed a small gang and even managed to harass a certain population of the village into what the responder would refer to as semi-slavery.... the quest which appeared to be thick with updates came with a map too enabling the employee of the quest to find there way to them incase directions happened to be the issue and still the request remained there so clearly it wasn't...

Sophus' brow furrowed as he read. What could a single girl do that would cause this kind of a reaction? He shook his head and stood up, gathering the papers. Leaving a few copper coins on the table, he headed for the door. He needed to get going soon. He wasn't in DIRE straights yet, but that 650 gold coins would go a long way.

He needed to grab his gear, take care of his tab, and get to the stables. Last night had been his last in the barracks. He'd have to find an inn if he wanted to stay in town. He'd also have to pay for the full week if he left his mount in the stables tonight, so it made more sense to leave today. Even given the evening hour, he was confident that he and Maa'ka could make it a few miles tonight still.

deciding to fully commit to the quest, he got it approved by the cleark then he was allowed to be on his way. but not before gathering other essentals according to the map there were at least 3 other towns between him and his final destination implying this was indeed going to be a lengthy trip. but perhaps in time that would work in his favor along the way. exiting the mercenary guild it was clear it was getting late. traveling now would mean the roads would eventally get darker and more dangerous... should he take the risk and travel now or try traveling the first thing in the morning?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up