OOC chat.

4 minutes ago, Futa_Maniac said:

Well what are some fandoms you are interested in? Mostly you would play as a character you like or feel like you could play well. If you don't know about a specific fandom that is fine since there are a lots of fandoms you can grow to like from just watching or reading them.

This is normally true, but for me, I've never looked beyond more than simply liking the fandom i've never really picked favorites when it comes to characters unless i'm asked...

I can probably do adventure time or Undertale seems there characters are well-defined enough that I can probably mimic a lot of those characters' personalities

6 hours ago, inkylore said:

I mainly joined to try to get more familiar with fandom rp... though im not too sure what to start with given my posistion has always been if i don't knoow the series or characters well enough that i wouldn't really know how to play them

I don't think it is realistic, reasonable or even expected by most people, that someone nails a character, setting and such as close to "perfect" as they can. Personally, I think it stifles creativity to try and have this sort of approach and simply just stops us from having a potentially good time.

Of course, I personally try and not do a complete 180 on a character, but I do give myself as much freedom on it as I feel is needed for a given story to work out. This is basically just fan fiction writing, just with a partner there to form the story along with yourself.

Besides, who decides what is "well enough" and where do you draw that line? I think simply having this notion just keeps us from trying.

Just try your best and since it is just unofficial stories, then who really cares in the end, as long as you are having fun?

2 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

I don't think it is realistic, reasonable or even expected by most people, that someone nails a character, setting and such as close to "perfect" as they can. Personally, I think it stifles creativity to try and have this sort of approach and simply just stops us from having a potentially good time.

Of course, I personally try and not do a complete 180 on a character, but I do give myself as much freedom on it as I feel is needed for a given story to work out. This is basically just fan fiction writing, just with a partner there to form the story along with yourself.

Besides, who decides what is "well enough" and where do you draw that line? I think simply having this notion just keeps us from trying.

Just try your best and since it is just unofficial stories, then who really cares in the end, as long as you are having fun?

alright ill give it a try... should probably think of a plot first

Its not a terribly long list, a few book series, a few animes, a few tv shows and some games admittedly. I don't keep a written list down so I'll need to sit and scratch my head before I have a full list.

Going off Jenny's list, we do have a few in common- League of Legends-heavily dependent on the characters in question and would have to focus on the characters, not a more open world plot-, Legend of Zelda, Zootopia, Resident Evil. 

My most knowledgeable fandom is Rizzoli and Isles, I was just one of so many disappoint fans of the show ended off and they didn't listen to the fans wants at the time.

27 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

It is important that we have a "good time", If we don't, then our role-playing will start to suffer, and we might end up quitting. But we should not forget that we have an obligation to the people that we are roleplaying with. We need that other player. If we didn't, then we could have simply written a novel instead.

So the people we roleplay with also need to "have a good time."

If you play in an RPG based on say an anime, you want to roleplay against those characters, right?

Is it fun then if the other person can't properly roleplay?

I get what you are saying. If you have a favorite character, you want to roleplay as it, just like a cosplayer wants to cosplay as their favorite characters.

But if you look nothing like the character you cosplay as, this only really affects you as a cosplayer. But just like how "the wrong actor" can ruin a character in a movie, the same goes for an RPG.

If a person can't capture the personality of an already established character, then it isn't fun to play with them.

To wrap things up, I'll end it with this.

If we can have expectations on a roleplayer's ability to form proper sentences, then we can have expectations on them being able to properly portray the characters that they have chosen to play as.

3 minutes ago, Nan-Yo said:

It is important that we have a "good time", If we don't, then our role-playing will start to suffer, and we might end up quitting. But we should not forget that we have an obligation to the people that we are roleplaying with. We need that other player. If we didn't, then we could have simply written a novel instead.

So the people we roleplay with also need to "have a good time."

If you play in an RPG based on say an anime, you want to roleplay against those characters, right?

Is it fun then if the other person can't properly roleplay?

I get what you are saying. If you have a favorite character, you want to roleplay as it, just like a cosplayer wants to cosplay as their favorite characters.

But if you look nothing like the character you cosplay as, this only really affects you as a cosplayer. But just like how "the wrong actor" can ruin a character in a movie, the same goes for an RPG.

If a person can't capture the personality of an already established character, then it isn't fun to play with them.

To wrap things up, I'll end it with this.

If we can have expectations on a roleplayer's ability to form proper sentences, then we can have expectations on them being able to properly portray the characters that they have chosen to play as.

Most people will have some - hopefully proper - planning before going into a canon based roleplay. That is one good spot to try and make it so everything can be good and fun for both sides of a story.
Whether or not someone roleplay as a canon character "well enough" is entirely subjective and so far, I have personally had no complaints in that area. Either I did that part good enough or my partners are not that hung up on how properly I do them.

So it very much depends on the individual pairing (meaning between yourself and your partner), on whether or not this is done properly. If someone were to give me some comment about how I play character A, B or C, I would or would not adjust, depending on how I feel for it and how reasonable it seems.

Like I said: I always try my best to at least give the best impression of a character I am playing as and for me that is usually good and well enough.

So it boils down to what you personally try to aim for and the expectations and limitations you make for yourself.

4 minutes ago, JennyDK said:

Most people will have some - hopefully proper - planning before going into a canon based rolplay.

I always try my best to at least give the best impression of a character I am playing as.

Certainly, people do have some kind of idea of how they will play a character based on an already established franchise. But does this mean that they will play it as close to canon as possible?

How many people think that their interpretation "is the best" even when it obviously clashes with canon lore? How many people insert their own views, current trends, and real-life issues?

And then there is the issue of more complicated characters that have been either Flanderized by the fandom or simply completely misunderstood.

I think we all should do our best and aim to become better. This goes for all of us, whether we are veteran roleplayers or complete newbies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up