Hallways

A few light taps of a metalic silver finger lit up the crystalline surface of phebe's datapad, her "eyes" lightly glancing up at the internal airlock she was performing maintenance on now and then... not that she really needed to, thanks to maluable form as a viri metalus, she allready had hair thin strands of metalic grey goo sweeping over the door... occasionally when she noticed a nanocrack more then .27 nanometers she would have the small machines that made up her body consume some nearby material before sealing that same mater into the essentially imperceptible hole.

She currently was almost human like in appearance, excluding the spider web of metal stimming off her as she "scanned" the door, her metal being dyed a light pink, well sections of her body where shapped and dyed in a way to match the normal officer uniform. With a quick glance at her pade she confirmed that this door would be the last bit of maintenance she had to perform before her scheduled "break" which gave her the impulse to twitch her lips into a little smirk.

A human was walking down the hallway on her way home from the biolabs. She stood tall at over 180 cm, her long dark hair bound, and her features sharp. She was wearing a tight singlesuit that accentuated her feminine features, a name tag stating, "Acacia, Botanist". Her eyes darted about as she walked, and came to a stop when she spied the strange pink creature. 

Acacia froze and waited, trying to determine if she was in danger. 

• Like 1

"No need to worry miss acacia, just some routine maintenance... but if your reacting to myself in general, i should remind you that there are dozens of species aboard this vessel and I may be one of the less typical, i am still officially allowed to be here... if you wish to use the door though i ask that you wait about 43.4 seconds for the analysis to finish" during this entire monolog the pinkish silvery woman was looking at the datapad, not appearing to even remotely look in your direction despite being able to clearly identify you from her words.

Edited by DreamsnThings

Acacia decided she wasn't in danger and approached a little closer. "Hello", she said. She waited and watched as the being continued it's work. Her work, she decided. What an interesting creature, she thought.

Acacia had not met many non-humans before. Despite her own genetic modification, hidden away, she was still considered human.  The job at the biolabs was exposing her more to the strange inhabitants of the ship, and it unsettled her.

• Like 1

The shift was finally over! Travis extended his hands above his head in desperation for relief before an audible crack could be heard in his spine as an exhale of satisfaction left his lips. Everything ached and it was already bad enough he had to travel to the far side of the ARK to get to his section of the housing area.

His stomach growled a loud complaint as a pang of hunger shot through him and he could feel his failure to prepare today being responsible for the misery he was currently suffering.

The sound of voices one of which being a little familiar drew him over to see Phebe speaking to another crew member. Though he knew there were numerous ways to talk to Phebe, he preferred the in person approach. Her sentience and unique personality made it a much nicer experience rather than sending a message from the terminal. He waited for a quiet moment in the conversation before approaching and giving them both a nod. The girl he didn't know, but Phebe he knew just a bit. "Excuse me you two, I apologize for interrupting."

He gave them both a smile before continuing, "Hey Phebe, how are you doing today? do you know if anyone put in a maintenance request for clinic seven? Our equipment is falling apart and I had to send a few patients to the medical ward." Some people probably considered it weird how he spoke to Phebe, like a person and not the amalgamation of countless machines forming a humanoid body with a machine intelligence that on the scale made his mind comparable to that of a dust mite. Even still, he wanted to treat her like a person.

His stomach growled once more in protest causing his hand to instinctively place itself on his stomach. "Sorry." He said with a small amount of embarrassment.

• Like 1

"Lets get through the normal issues quickly, 1. Hello 2. I have no intention or intrest in harming you or anyone whos registered on the ship 3. Im known as PH-3B based of my primary chemical composition having a base PH rating of 3 well also being a byproduct of element B known as boron, as a botonist i assume you know on some level what those entail so wont dive into the broad details... 4. Yes, you can call me phebe instead as that seems to be generally preferred as opposed to my chemical composition 5. Im currently analyzing the door on a molecular level and restructuring portions of it to ensure it wont malfunction in the event of an emergency 6. Yes i can see you, the eyes on my... face... are mostly decorative, every cell in my body can function as a sense receptor, so i can, see, hear, touch, taste, or feel with any portion of my "body" 7. I can tell your not entirely human yourself, you stepped on a few of my nanites which reflexively scanned you before i reacted .007 secconds later to stop them, theres something mixed in that ill avoid prying into out of courtesy... that said your pulse is a little rapid and blood sugar slightly low... i recommend you enjoy an apple on your next break once you head through the door, which is now"

As she finished talking her silver strings retracted from the door as it opened, before casually walking off as exactly 43.5 seconds passed, a little behind schedule from the distraction. Before stopping and quickly responding to travis

"I have indeed seen the maintenance request as of 15 seconds ago actually, my break has been postponed till i give that region a short once over and ascertain what seems to be the issue"

She gave the man a slightly awkward smile... the corners of her lips turning up a little too much bringing the expression into the area of uncanny before adding on "unless theres a more pressing issue ill certainly look into that now?..."

Edited by DreamsnThings
  • Love 2

He returned the smile and shook his head softly. She occasionally spoke of breaks but he never seemed to catch her actually taking one. What he wouldn't do to have her energy... all the work he could get done! But that wasn't important right now. "As much as I always enjoy our little chats, I'm afraid I dont have any 'good' excuses that deserve your attention." There may have been a strong fluctuation in good that after the fact he felt like it may have been something close to flirting. Maybe it was just nice to know someone reliable and efficient. "I could always break something though if you need an excuse."

When the girl asked about fruit he pondered for a moment but the answer was pretty quick to come to. "Oh, uh, the Prominade I would think... that's where most of the shops are... but for something like an apple, you could probably just get one from hydroponics."

• Like 2

Acacia nodded, considering where to go. It didn't need to be an apple, did it? She hadn't eaten for some time. But the phebe specifically said apple. 

"Oh, thank you. Uhm, how do I get to hydroponics from here?" she asked, looking around trying to see if there was a sign. "Oh, I'm Acacia by the way. I work at the biolab part time."

• Like 1

Phebe cleared her throat, or atleast made a sound somewhat close to it before glancing back to anacia "your currently lacking slightly in a few vitamins atleast from what i could briefly tell from that scan, mainly vitamin C, but rather then an orange, lime, lemon, or other fruits. the other assorted vitamins in an apple would be the closest for your dietary needs, however its by no mean mandatory, and your welcome to simply take a vitamin supplement... mix 352 seems fairly close to your needs?" As she was replying to anacia a face appeared on the side of her head in the direction facing travis, before slightlysepperating to avoid awkward perspectives, a faint humming coming from her body as the sounds from the other conversation are dampened to the mans ears, with the inverse happening to acacia's perspective her words quick, curt, and almost tired as the metalic voice started talking once again "as a reminder sir Travis i am more then just an AI, if you wish to schedule a conversation, or need assistance with something, part of my job is to assist... also you will be happy to know that clinic seven is currently being investigated by one of my offshoots, so if you really have something to discuss, you are by no means required to break... anything..." her voice sounded firm on this, you are slightly reminded that she doesn't entirely get metaphors, jokes, or sarcasm... despite being fairly competent otherwise

• Love 2

(Very cool!)

"Offshoot." He repeated with a nod showing just how impressed he was by her. "I'm sorry Phebe, I often times forget how incredible you are. And I was only joking, despite all the evidence to the contrary, I really do try not to cause you additional problems." Her offer to schedule conversation was mildly surprising but it would be nice to chat with her when she wasn't in the middle of keeping everyone on the ship from being sucked out into the empty vacuum of space. Not that her attention could ever be considered 'divided' but it was a difficult concept to grasp. Possibly because of his little crush on the viri metallum.

"Actually Phebe, now that you mention it. I'm going to be making dinner again when I get home. If your schedule permits, maybe you could join me?" Did he just ask Phebe on a date? Part of Travis was a little conflicted at the invitation, not because he didnt want her to come... but there was still that concern that he was just going to be a nuisance to her. "After all, actually cooking meals in the living quarters can make some people nervous that I'll set fire to the place... with you there, there will be no reason for anyone to worry!"

"Incredible is a word thats tied heavily to perspectives, well you find my amorphous figure and computational capabilities to be "Incredible" i find your species ability to communicate through falcitities and vocal intonation vexing and Incredible in its own right, not that i have managed to grasp its purpose yet..." there was a long pause, atleast long for phebe's standards as she ran through schedules, time tables, and appointments running through which ones can be handled by offshoots before glancing back to the man, with a total of .63 secconds passing "as for the dinner invitation itself i think i actually could actually come for about... 3 hours assuming i leave now and resolve things scheduled for later tonight ahead of schedule, so i cant keep up this relaxed pace... and well im assuming the fear of burning things down is another moment of "joking" it unnerves me that happened so soon after informing you it was unnecessary... anyways when you have the exact time just inform the system, I must be off now" she wasted no time walking over to a grate in the hall installed for her pipe network throughout the ship, quickly disolving as she effortlessly slipped through the small cracks, her data pad gently landing on the floor before a small cushion of slime starts quickly dragging it along, moving it up one of the side walls and scurrying off to deliver the device somewhere else. You are now alone.

• Love 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up