What is the most painful thing you can imagine/have seen?

By "painful" do you mean emotional painful? Or painful as in physical suffering? Based on the starting post in this thread I'm assuming we are dealing with the former, so I'll answer your question in accordance with that definition of "painful".

The most painful thing I've ever seen would probably be when I found out that one of my friends was murdered after seeing him in the news headlines a few years ago.

The most painful thing I can imagine would be... hm... probably never feeling love/being loved. I feel like a loveless existence would negate virtually all aspects and reasons to live, as that person would not be able to share their milestones, experiences, and interests with anyone, which is contrary to the entire fact that human beings are inherently a social species.

11 minutes ago, Sunstone said:

By "painful" do you mean emotional painful? Or painful as in physical suffering? Based on the starting post in this thread I'm assuming we are dealing with the former, so I'll answer your question in accordance with that definition of "painful".

Yes the former one. The pain that stays hidden to the naked eye mostly.

14 minutes ago, Sunstone said:

The most painful thing I've ever seen would probably be when I found out that one of my friends was murdered after seeing him in the news headlines a few years ago

May he rest in peace. I have had two friends who passed away from OD. I was in denial for months, I can imagine the pain that may have caused you. I hope you are doing okay now.

18 minutes ago, Sunstone said:

The most painful thing I can imagine would be... hm... probably never feeling love/being loved. I feel like a loveless existence would negate virtually all aspects and reasons to live, as that person would not be able to share their milestones, experiences, and interests with anyone, which is contrary to the entire fact that human beings are inherently a social species.

I agree. I feel like, what I put as the starter and what you said are similar in essence, but you put it in a better way.

18 minutes ago, SycoticYandere said:

Me? Well,it’d probably be my fuckin’ mother trying to kill herself in front of me.

I’m not looking for sympathy.

Its way too late for that.

Pats her head

Although we never spoke before this, I can tell you are a strong individual. I wish all the very best for you.

17 minutes ago, SycoticYandere said:

And if emotional....almost every second is pain in my life.

Years ago,I realized.

Im too fucked up to start over.

I hope you can come to terms with yourself. It took me years to accept that I am just an outcast to everything I ever knew, yes it can be hard but hang in there. Someday someone comes around or something happens that makes us realize again that it was worth it.

Can't say I've 'seen' much in the way of emotional pain, but as far as what I've experienced, it's got to be the fallout with friends I've had that I once considered family. 

It stings to know that none of my contact information ever changed since I last spoke to them (but their has) and they never once tried to reach out to me in the decade since things went sour. I hope they're doing okay, life for them was very rough.

1 minute ago, Buio said:

Can't say I've 'seen' much in the way of emotional pain, but as far as what I've experienced, it's got to be the fallout with friends I've had that I once considered family. 

It stings to know that none of my contact information ever changed since I last spoke to them (but their has) and they never once tried to reach out to me in the decade since things went sour. I hope they're doing okay, life for them was very rough.

Well,that’s sad.

I...Fuck.I don’t know if I could help on this one.

Thank, but no need to help. Things are as they are and I'm just hoping their lives have moved on in some way.

Like I said, their circumstances were very rough when I was talking to them last as a teenager (one of them fully expected she'd have to kill her own abusive father eventually, for example), so them simply deciding to not contact me is honestly the more positive of possible reasons why I've not heard from them in all this time.

2 minutes ago, Buio said:

Can't say I've 'seen' much in the way of emotional pain, but as far as what I've experienced, it's got to be the fallout with friends I've had that I once considered family

Although I started this thread with "most painful" title, there is no standard to measure the depth of pain to be honest. There is no valid meter. It's just how intensely we feel it and deal with it. Some things make us do crazy things some just urges us to wipe the tears on the pillow. Losing the circle of favorite people is never easy.

7 minutes ago, Buio said:

That's the hardest part of growing, positively or negatively; we lose people, we lose ourselves. Keep your head up brother, you have enough goodness in your heart to heal the world, just take the time to heal yourself.

on that subject, if we expand 'seen' to 'things we have heard about through online discussions' then I have an entire novel's worth of stories.

Someone being considered a cursed child because of stupid old traditional beliefs and a sibling dying around the time they were born, causing their parents to eventually hate and mistrust them so much they one day threw hot tea in their face because they thought the child was trying to poison them.

A girl molested by her father and explicitly told by her mother that she would never testify in court against him.

a girl tied up and raped by a boyfriend who would go on to kill himself the next day, leaving her with absolutely no one to help process the trauma and leading to her developing split personalities.

A young, likely nonbinary, lesbian developing profound self hatred due to criminally neglectful parents and a deeply religious Christian upbringing.

A couple subjected to violent discrimination and destroyed property for their private love for no other reason than they were adopted siblings, sharing no blood between them.

A grown woman with lupus facing persistent bullying and attempted poisoning from her coworkers for literally no other reason than heir lives were small and petty and pathetic so they thought it was funny to shit on someone 'lower' than them by 'forgetting' to warn her about food that she had severe allergies to being served at a workplace function they organized.

I've known and been part of some true tragedies through all the friends and acquaintances I've made around the world through my years online.

4 minutes ago, Buio said:

Someoen being considered a cursed child because of stupid old traditional beliefs and a sibling dying around the time they were born, causing their parents to eventually hate and mistrust them so much they one day threw hot tea in their face because they thought the child was trying to poison them.

that one hit me hard. My twin passed away when we were born. I dealt with that said prejudice quite a bit in my life.

19 minutes ago, Iori said:

that one hit me hard. My twin passed away when we were born. I dealt with that said prejudice quite a bit in my life.

i am terribly sorry to hear you had to deal with that bullshit then my friend.

are you perhaps east asian? My friend was japanese and I was explained that it was an old cultural myth for them.

1 minute ago, Buio said:

are you perhaps east asian?

Mhmm, I am from south east asia. Don't get me wrong however, my parents are great people. They get influenced easily with what relatives have to say, and they just fear "what people will say" too much, and would put that over anything else.

Life happens sometimes, so no worries cx

Eventually we can get past most things, given time and sometimes honest introspection, professional help, and/or medication. For me, it required all of those things. I lost someone close to me years ago that left a gaping hole inside me that can never be filled or patched. Sadness is, as Iori said, uniquely personal and varies from one individual to the next. 

Eventually we may heal or at least come to terms with our pain. Some people hide theirs from the world, others wear it as a badge. When my life changed, I broadcast my depression like a shitty podcast for the world to see. I wanted everyone to know that I was hurting, that life had shit on me, and that there was nothing anyone could do to help me. I practically dared people to try, and laughed in their faces when they did. I spiraled into a depression that I probably shouldn't have survived. But I did survive, and I found a way to come back from that darkness to a place where I can share my life with others again.

It's never easy. Even now, I retreat from others sometimes. But most of the time, I do my best to be empathetic and try to help if I can. I've seen the darkness and come back. I feel like that has to count for something when others need help. Who are you going to trust - someone who studied what you might be experiencing in a textbook, or someone who's been there, faced the same demons, and lived to tell the tale?

Archived