What is your Comfort game?

Hey! I was curious, there's so many games out there. Is there a particular game you find yourself going back to over and over again? Just something to calm you down and restore a feeling of familiarity? 

My comfort game has always been Diablo II, it's just a comfortable, slow paced, even game where I can relax and enjoy myself in a dark moody setting. It also reminds me of my childhood where my whole family would order pizza, get some drinks and play the game all Saturday long; a LAN party. I'm a Sorceress at heart, what can I say? 

spacer.png

Do you have a comfort game? If so what is it? Is there a reason behind it or does it just feel right? 

I love you, ❤️ 
Sierra Zion

The Sims 3 probably fit this bill for me. Modded or vanilla, i waste my time playing that since day one release (2008 i think?)

Or any city building game really. From beautiful visual like Cities Skylines, decent like SimCity 4, to classic 8 bit like TheoTown, even goes to simple 2d like Townsmen. Seeing city grow before your eyes is actually nice sight. At least its better than watching paint dry in some cases 🤣 Its just that the process of building and see it grow felt so satisfying. Seeing your effort designing them from scratch give some impact is a real pleasure. Though that doesn't apply to Sims 3 since its not city building game. But i bet you get what i mean. 

There is no meaning behind my choice, but: Streets of Rogue. Because v i o l e n c e . But that game aside, Gmod was one of the most fun games and I've wasted so many years in multiplayer and even singleplayer messing with mods, giving me the true sandbox experience no other game has given me. I dont play it anymore but I used to go to it a lot when angry or sad. 😗

I feel the same as @Elena Ichinomiya about The Sims 3... I could play that (and did) for hours. I don't know why I'd get lost in the little stories of my hacked/downloaded characters hooking up, making babies, and carrying on for generations, but it filled me with some sort of sense of wonder and amazement. I still go back to it and watch that same neighborhood even to this day. 

I also get a combination of comfort/sads from Halo 2. I used to play it with someone special. It was his go-to game and he got me hooked even though I was never a shooter player. Now I play it sometimes to remember those days, but it always ends up with me feeling sad when I remember some comment he made, or how he'd issue tactical commands... sigh. The good old days. 

with how many games I have in my library across various platforms (somewhere in the neighborhood of 500), i can't say i have one specific comfort game, but i certainly have a comfort platform. The PS2 remains to me the absolute apex of video gaming, having such an astounding variety of titles with so many different ideas and concepts to choose from for gaming experiences that remain truly unique and stand-out to this day.
Among that library, i have 3 old favourites that always make my heart swell whenever I start them up again, Final Fantasy XStar Ocean: Til the End of Time, and Persona 3. Those 3 RPGs are masterclass pieces of work each, and will never not hold a soft spot in my heart. Heck, sometimes I literally just put on the title screen cinematic for Star Ocean because it is just such a beautiful ode to hope for the human race and our journey into the stars that it makes me tear up.

Besides that, there are some other titles on the console that I just cannot get over how good they are. Drakengard 1 and 2, Jak X Combat Racing (as well as the rest of the Jak trillogy),Disgaea 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Devil May Cry 3, FF7: Dirge of Cerberus, Shinobi 2002, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and Dark Cloud (to name a few). I could pop in any one of those titles any day and just have a wonderful, relaxing time same as cracking open an old favourite book.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a few.

Spyro (the reignited trilogy is a perfect remaster/remake so I usually just pop that in) and several Legend of Zelda titles (Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks) for nostalgia and because I know those games like the back of my hand.

House Flipper or the Delicious/Emily series of time management games for just vegging out.

Resident Evil 8 because shooting things fun, Four Lords hot, and I'm starting to know the game as well as I know old ones from my childhood.

I'd love to say Red Dead Redemption 2 is one but it's not comforting at all - it just has a comfort character of mine in it, but that's a whole nother kettle of fish!

Any strategy/city builder. Civ 6, Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, Stellaris... even like... 'job' games. House Flipper, Truck Sim, Farm Sim, Snowrunners, and if you haven't tried it... fucking Powerwash Sim! If you enjoy 'oddly satisfying' type stuff, this game will scratch so many itches.

And sometimes Genshin, when I can zone out and just run around and farm upgrade materials for awhile. Unless it's Monstadt talent upgrades... random falling icicle domain can fuck off. Even with Klee and Hu Tao, it still grinds my gears.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one that’s a guilty pleasure, and then one that’s a legit comfort game, until players fuck up your peaceful meandering. The guilty pleasure comfort game is SuperHot, because I swear to whatever higher power there is, this game just makes me so happy. Whether it’s watching a guy’s brain explode in slow mo, or moving all the time to completely defeat the purpose of the game in the first place, it always just leads to a big ass smile on my face. However, if I need a legit Comfort game, after a bad day, I always seem to go back to Minecraft. I don’t care how bad my builds suck. I don’t care that I play peaceful mode all the time. I don’t care that I play very differently from many others. I don’t play Minecraft to get everything. I play Minecraft to feel at peace. My favorite world that I’ve done is a peaceful world where I limited myself to walking. No other form of movement. I must track all of my adventuring through torches. No cheating off of the coordinates. Just walking throughout my world. And it’s been the best idea I’ve had, because it always cheers me up when I need it most. Thanks Minecraft. 

For me, that would be the Jak and Daxter trilogy, specifically Jak 2 (the GOAT imo). The first instalment is a light-hearted, action-adventure, open world, collect-a-thon platformer but the second and third games take a drastic shift in tone, hurling you into a cyberpunk dystopia, which sees you fight the system and kill monsters.

emvGatt.jpg

I grew up with these games and I have a lot of fond memories bonding with friends over them. Naturally, I get quite a nostalgia boner from revisiting. The gameplay is a blast, story is engaging, characters are memorable, humour is on point. But my favourite thing about these games, alongside the racing segments, is the gunplay.

Enter the Morph Gun, a fantastical transforming firearm that has twelve different mods which you collect throughout the series. It arms the player with a weapon fit for every situation, providing freedom of choice and empowering you to conquer challenges in your own way.

nL7Rl6F.jpg

After all these years, playing these games has become second nature. Familiarity helps the gameplay to flow smoothly, which makes for an extremely satisfying experience. This is a great series to kick back with.

10/10. Would play again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived