Is it just me?

• Community Administrator

From my point of view, I want to make it clear that I'm not taking a stance on the matter.

However, when listening to the stimulus, I personally perceive it as unintelligible or incomprehensible noise. I guess what's happening here is something similar to an auditory illusion known as auditory pareidolia. This phenomenon refers to the tendency for individuals to impose a coherent interpretation or meaning onto vague or ambiguous auditory stimuli. It's possible that different people may interpret the same stimulus in varying ways, such as perceiving it as the word "vagina" or "in China," due to individual differences in perception. Furthermore, suggestion can also play a role in shaping one's perception. For instance, in a YouTube video of a football chant, the creator asked viewers to listen to the chant and pick a specific phrase that they were chanting and provided multiple choices, of which I heard six out of ten of them when listening for that specific thing.

Nonetheless, as of now, due to my lack of caffeine, I'm only hearing indistinguishable snarling. Sorry.

(To Tema)

Well first off I hope you don't interpret my response as indistinguishable snarling. 

I'm pretty familiar with that stuff... Its extra trippy how seeing lips move can  (generally) alter the perception of a certain set of consonants with another one. (In this case, it is a skeleton.)

It is interesting to distinguish noise as being "indistinguishable", though. Between different languages, certain sounds are found to be indistinguishable, and technically infinite variations of phonetics exist that basically no existing languages distinguish.

Obviously I'm in not trying to imply someone deliberately got a voice actor to drop the v-bomb for this NPC. presumably the Devs didn't even speak English, though it is possible they do...

Main thing is it just breaks my immersion, like OMG.

I was also gonna make a joke about just having a different accent to you (vugourna) but I see you are from UK so I can't responsibly make that joke without knowing your region to the point of literally tracking you down Liam Neeson style.

8 hours ago, Never Shore said:

Well first off I hope you don't interpret my response as indistinguishable snarling. 

Of course not. I'm caffeinated now. 🤣

Obviously I'm in not trying to imply someone deliberately got a voice actor to drop the v-bomb for this NPC. presumably the Devs didn't even speak English, though it is possible they do...

Yeah-no, of course not. Nintendo games tend to use their own version of Simlish as well, that changes from region to region, which adds to the obfuscation of what any given character is actually saying.

I was also gonna make a joke about just having a different accent to you (vugourna) but I see you are from UK so I can't responsibly make that joke without knowing your region to the point of literally tracking you down Liam Neeson style.

LOL, I stream on Twitch. You can hear my voice and accent there without having to track me down. My accident is a mix of Midlands England and Southern England, due to the fact that I am from Stoke-on-Trent (Staffordshire), and spent a lot of time in my informative years down South, and yes, even 40 miles outside of the city I live in; the accent of the locals changes wildly, and I do mean wildly. xD But uh. I pronounce Vagina the "Normal" way... If it's normal to everyone else I can't say, but I definitely don't pronounce it vug-our-na. xD

As I said previously, or tried to allude to: I don't want to make you seem crazy for hearing what you hear. I'm absolutely 100% sure you do hear it. 

• Senior Staff
10 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I've heard a minion say "fuckboy" and Frye from Splatoon 3 say WHAT THE FUCK

It's our mature minds connecting dots that aren't really there because that's where our minds are.

Shame on us.

Like @Tema said; auditory pareidolia. The whole pareidolia thing is a really interesting in general.
Just patterns where there are none, or where a pattern lines up and tricks you into seeing or hearing a different pattern.

21 minutes ago, SMFoxy said:

The whole pareidolia thing is a really interesting in general.
Just patterns where there are none, or where a pattern lines up and tricks you into seeing or hearing a different pattern.

Like seeing faces in toast.

Jesus_sighting_in_toast_002.jpg

Do you see Jesus?

To be fair, Nintendo (and their first party dev team, probably) have quite history with very well putted adult humor since N64 days. Be it on game code, sprite source, or even their crash report. With that in mind, I'm not surprised if that was what it said.

I mean if they can put M16 gun sprites texture for Princess Peach parasol on SSB, what stop them from going above and beyond?

Archived