*Chapter Two: Flowers In The Guest Room*

Bordered by a sacred forest(to the south.) and a national park(to the north.), not to mention being home to a renowned flower shop, Goldenrod City, while high-tech compared to the rest of the tradition-steeped Johto region, could still be said to be at one with nature. Unbeknownst to the citizens, however, for some time now, they had been even closer to nature than they could've imagined. Nobody could've guessed that, in the guest bedroom of a large house, a tiny demigod with the appearance of a white hedgehog with broad green quills and a pair of bold pink flowers(Hawaiian in appearance.) lay on the bed, curled up almost into a ball atop the pink sheets. Nobody, that is, except for the boy who was with her.

"And, to think, you're a Legendary," the boy said in a soft, playful voice, stroking the exposed white-furred belly of the demigod. Her(as it was indeed a female.) sweet moans provided the boy with all of the indication he needed that she was enjoying that treatment. "We come in all shapes and sizes, Ty," she replied, almost in a whisper. The boy was, indeed, Tyler Miller; the same Tyler who had quite recently fought his best friend, Kevin Houghtaling in a Pokémon battle, which, though his Pokémon gave it their all, proved to be a losing battle, with 2 Pokémon winding up seriously injured. He had just returned home, and hadn't even changed his clothes into something more suitable for casual wear, nor had he cleansed his face of the makeup that adorned it. "I'm sorry it took me so long, Shaymin," Tyler said, in a genuine apology. As he spoke, he continued running his hand up and down the hedgehog-like creature's belly. "It's alright," Shaymin cooed. "I sure missed you, though." For a second, she began to shift her position on the spacious bed, likely in preparation for scaling Tyler's body to plant(no pun intended.) a kiss on his cheek. In the end, though, out of a combination of fatigue(she was, after all, dreadfully ill; Tyler's presence alone seemed to be enough to make her feel at least slightly better, for reasons even she didn't quite understand.) and a desire for more belly rubs, she settled for licking her epicene caretaker's manicured hand before curling up once more.

"I'm sorry," Tyler intoned again, gazing reproachfully at her. "What for?" Shaymin asked. She had thought that perhaps Tyler was about to apologise for petting her incorrectly, or handling her roughly, neither of which he had actually done. If either of those imaginary infractions had been what Tyler was sorry for, Shaymin would scarcely have been surprised; Tyler had a habit of being overly apologetic for minor infractions. What Tyler actually felt the need to apologise for, though, was quite different. "A couple of years ago; that fight we had. Do you remember it?" The mere mention of the event in question caused Shaymin to sigh deeply. "Do I remember it? Like it was yesterday. That was far from a fight, though. If anyone needs to apologise for that, by the way, it should be me for giving you that rash." Tyler waved his hand dismissively. "I deserved a little bit of poison ivy. Look; what I'm getting at is do you remember what we were fighting about?" Shaymin nodded, unable to hold back a soft giggle, despite the seriousness of the situation. "A lovers' quarrel." Tyler laughed, as well, seeing humour like Shaymin just did. "That's one way of putting it; yeah. You were jealous of me being with Eleanor." Normally, something like that would've elicited such a response as "jealous?! Of you and that bitch?! Don't make me laugh!". Shaymin, however, couldn't deny, especially with the vivid memory she admitted to possessing of the "fight," that she had lashed out at her beloved Tyler on that fateful day due to any catalyst but jealousy. "Even back then," she said, "I knew she was gonna hurt you." Tyler hung his head in defeat. "I should've listened; you were right."

Again showing that she was different from many other girls, rather than metaphorically rubbing salt in Tyler's wounds, Shaymin put some of her quickly dwindling energy to use, climbing up Tyler's pant leg, only to curl up in his lap, to his pleasant surprise. Shaymin's attitude, however, was far less playful than her recent activities(accepting belly rubs, and lying down on Tyler's lap.) might lead someone to believe. Her tone of voice when next she spoke wasn't sinister, but it was rather dark and serious. "Listen to this, then; get. Rid. Of. Her." Tyler, too deep in regret to be as shocked as he should have been by his wannabe girlfriend's sudden change of mood, replied sullenly. "I've told you before, Shaymin; it's not that easy. Do you have any idea what she'd do to me if I left her?" Shaymin looked up at him with a speed that should have given her whiplash. Her expression was a mix of several emotions, none of them particularly pleasant. Her face showed anger, sorrow, and desperation at once, and her eyes, the irises of which were usually emerald green but had since faded with illness and fatigue into murky green rings, sparkled with tears. "It c-can't be as b-bad as what she's d-doing to you now!"

Seeing a mighty demigod crying like a child is enough to touch the soul of almost anyone, particularly when the one crying is as lovely and charming as Shaymin, beset though she obviously was by illness. What was even worse, though, was the horrible fact that Tyler couldn't do anything to help her, aside from offering comfort, which, incidentally, he appeared to be doing quite poorly. "I'm sorry," was all he was able to choke out, and even that took him a few seconds of listening to Shaymin crying. "This must be so hard on you, Shaymin." The divine hedgehog shook her head, scattering her tears around in a short radius. Where they landed, at least on the decidedly feminine bedspread, seeds materialised, then went through all of their growth stages in a matter of seconds, becoming flowers of various species and colours. "M-Me?! Never mind m-me; I'm t-t-too far gone. A-And don't apologise, either." She paused to sniffle and take in a series of shuddering, laboured breaths before continuing. What she said next, she said with a tone more of desperation than of tenderness, which would have been more appropriate. "I l-love you. I love you, and I c-can't s-st-stand the way you're l-letting yourself be treated b-by someone who's supposed t-to love you even m-more! It's... I-I-l-It's horrifying!"

Faced with such an outburst, there are innumerable people, from the sensitive, caring ones to the tough-as-nails, take-no-prisoners ones, who would break down and cry alongside the distraught hedgehog. Tyler, however, as kind and caring as he seemed(and was.), simply shook his head. The explanation he had given earlier for why he hadn't left his abusive wife was one that he had, as he implied, given Shaymin multiple times, to little avail. Ever since Shaymin first noticed mysterious scratch marks on Tyler's face, she had suspected Eleanor to be the cause, despite the fact that few others thought such a sweet girl capable of assault. Shaymin, with her unfathomable experience with life in general, knew better, and, what's more, not even Arceus Himself could've convinced her differently.

Tyler, to show he wasn't completely heartless, gently petted Shaymin's head, which did very little to placate her. When next he spoke, his words were callous, but his tone was soft and caring. "Do you think I don't know that? Do you honestly think I'm that stupid? I know damned well that Ellie's tearing me apart, figuratively and almost literally. If I could, I'd leave her so fast, she wouldn't even know what happened. But it's not as easy as you're making it out to be. Not nearly as easy." Shaymin was beside herself by this point, with a rather large pile of flowers to show for it. Several times, she attempted to speak, only to stop upon realising that, through her gasps and sobs, Tyler wouldn't be able to understand her. It took her nearly a minute, and more petting, before she calmed down enough for her words to be discernable as language, rather than tearful, blubbering gibberish. "D-D-Do you... D-Do you... st-still love her?"

Tyler sighed; a heavy, meaningful sigh, made even more so by him looking Shaymin dead in the eyes directly afterward. "I wish I could tell you that I don't, but part of me - and believe me, it's a small part - wants to keep her around." "That's n-n-not l-love," Shaymin pointed out. "That's t-t-tolerance. Wh-What we have is l-love." Tyler let out a soft giggle as he gently stroked the head of the heartbroken demigod once more before, to her pleasant surprise, picking her up and hugging her. "Don't think for one second that I don't know that. Things may not have turned out the way we would've preferred, but, for right now, all that matters is that we're together, safe, and this is a test of the Emergency Alert System. For the next 60 seconds, this station will conduct a test of the Emergency Alert System. This is only a test." Shaymin cocked her head to the side in understandable confusion. Before she could voice it, however, a horrid, shrill screech shattered the very world around her.

Shaymin loosed a weak cry of fear and surprise before sitting bolt upright. Her fear was soon replaced with anger, however, when she realised the truth; it was all a dream. Or, more accurately, the meeting with Tyler was. Whether it was an actual dream or a fever dream was beyond her, although, given her illness, and the severity thereof, she was most definitely running a high enough fever to make the latter just as possible as the former. Whichever of the 2 it was, the Emergency Alert System had put an abrupt and harsh stop to it; the bedspread, the room, and, much to Shaymin's chagrin, the offensive, grating noise that plucked her from her dream in the first place, were real. The radio by the bed had been left on by Tyler before he left for the tournament. Thinking back, Shaymin now remembered faintly hearing some generic sounding rock ballad throughout her dream. She decided that, with Tyler still gone, there was little point in staying awake. Accordingly, she lay back down and quickly drifted off to sleep, but not before a barely audible mutter of "even in my dreams, I can't get him to kiss me."

*Author's Note*

And there you have it! Just like that, this turned into a Lifetime movie, with the gender roles reversed! Yes, this chapter was short, and pretty bad, but I kinda wrote myself into a corner with this. Not with the dream idea, or the EAS deus ex machina; those were planned from the start. By the way, Shaymin's braver than me; when I'm woken up by the EAS, I usually don't go back to sleep. It's terrifying at night. Now, first and foremost, let me explain a few things. Tyler is not a douchebag. He's just scared shitless of Eleanor, and it's affecting his relationship with Shaymin. Next, this chapter was originally called "The Nightingale Effect," after a real-life phenomenon in which doctors and their patients fall in love. "Flowers In The Guest Room" is a title parody of the V.C. Andrews book "Flowers In The Attic," which was adapted into 2 of my favourite movies, both with the same name as the book. The plot has nothing to do with this chapter; I just thought it sounded witty. Oh, and you may have noticed that this chapter was written with British spelling. As my main audience is a website run by a couple from the UK, I thought it would be appropriate to write as such. Neptune and I talked it over beforehand. Well, that's about it! What do you think? Should I do Chapter 3?

No I don't. I think it's better. lol

I was worried that I made Tyler seem like an asshole, and made Shaymin seem like a crybaby. Not to mention trivialising her emotions by having her tears conjure flowers.

Also, thanks, Neptune! That means a lot! I can't quote your post, though; it glitches my Kindle Fire.

• Senior Staff

So, it's like the conspiracy theories for The Powerpuff Girls and Courage The Cowardly Dog? The villains are normal people and things, seen from different perspectives?

Probably? I've not watched much of either, nor have I previously heard these conspiracy theories.
But yeah, sounds about right I suppose?

Archived