*Chapter 7: Gracidea's Anatomy*

*This chapter contains depictions of blood, vomiting, and extreme pain. Reader discretion is advised.*

In his years of experience, Tyler had seen things that only somebody in his profession could fully make sense of. Pokémon training is a dangerous pursuit for trainer and Pokémon alike. From simple cuts, scratches, cases of the cold, and the like, to debilitating and disfiguring injuries and illnesses, Tyler had seen it all, or nearly so. The well-meaning trainer who groomed their Cinccino improperly. The bite from an Ekans, or the sting from a Weedle. The curious Pokémon who ate an overripe berry. The stray bullet from the gun of a Team Rocket member. The battle that went a little bit too far. The Gardevoir or Lopunny with a trainer who came home drunk or high. The innocent Pokémon who accidentally set off their trainer's short fuse. Burns, concussions, fractures, psychosis,... Not a lot surprised Tyler. But what he saw through the lens of the microscope definitely accomplished that feat. "That's... Th-That's Naegleria fowleri! How could Shaymin have been infected with this?!" Convinced that stress was making him hallucinate, he checked another sample of the spinal fluid he obtained from Shaymin. Sure enough, that sample tested positive for the same infection. With a heavy sigh, Tyler moved the microscope off to the side, its purpose having been served. "Well, that's that. How she got it is beyond me, but there's no getting around it; Shaymin has..." Taking a pen off of a nearby counter, he scribbled the disease name onto Shaymin's patient chart, which was kept in the clipboard he grabbed before tearing out of his house. "...Primary amoebic meningoencephalitis."

*Meanwhile, back at Tyler's house...*

"What the Hell is taking him so long?!" Kevin fumed. "He's not even answering that thing he carries around!" It had been almost 2 hours since Tyler had left, and, having not had contact with him since then, his patience was wearing thin. Shaymin had other problems. "Mmmmffff... I know you're pissed, but, with all due respect,... could you quiet down?" She was, predictably, on the guest bed, but she wasn't curled up, like she would normally be; she was lying on her stomach, her stubby limbs sprawled out beneath her. Until she spoke, she had her face buried in the blanket. Minutes prior, she was stricken with a horrific migraine. Her sickly, almost pleading tone of voice got Kevin's attention, causing him to walk over to her bedside. "What's wrong, Shay? Are you sick?" He immediately smacked himself in the face. Of course Shaymin was sick; that's why she was there in the first place! Luckily, Shaymin knew what he meant, or appeared to; she nodded weakly. "It feels-" She inhaled sharply through her teeth, hissing as the pain in her head spiked, then receded. "Ah! It feels like someone hit me in the head with a branding iron." "That's oddly specific," Kevin noted, smirking in spite of himself. "Well, I'm sorry, sweetie; I've been calling Ty, but he's not answering his damned whatever-that-thing-is(PokéGears are rare in Kevin's home region of Hoenn.). I'll try again, though." "PokéGear," Shaymin corrected him, "and don't worry; he wouldn't just abandon us." "Of course he wouldn't," Kevin agreed. "Especially when it comes to you." As sick as Shaymin was, Kevin couldn't tell whether she was blushing, or if she was flushed from her fever. Either was possible. He would've had his question answered, were it not for what Shaymin did almost immediately after opening her mouth. "Tyler wouldn't - hic! Hic!"

Kevin didn't even have time to ask what was wrong; Shaymin began retching violently. On her face was a look of intense fear. She knew what was coming, and she knew she wouldn't like it, to say the least. Her eyes went wide, and, for a second or two, she looked up, as if she wanted to cry out and beg Arceus for mercy. Sure enough, though, she couldn't stave off the inevitable for long. Her entire body shook, making it hard for her to even stand. As she drew ever closer to something she knew would add to the immense pain she was already feeling, she looked at Kevin with sparkling eyes. Her expression, pleading for a respite from nobody in particular, touched even the hardened, ruthless officer, who put a hand over his mouth and looked away. Not even he could bear to see her as she was. Finally, she vomited bright red blood, staining another set of bedsheets. Like before, she collapsed afterward, a sobbing, flower-adorned ball of green and white.

"That does it," Kevin snarled, retrieving his PokéNav(a device similar to the PokéGear, used by trainers in Hoenn.) from a nearby shelf. He flipped the device open, and began scrolling through the various features, before reaching the phone icon. "Arceus dammit; this is bullshit. So help me, if he doesn't answer his fucking phone this time-" He was going to say "I'm gonna have him arrested for malpractice," but he didn't get the chance. He heard the unmistakable sound of the living room door opening. "About time." He ran to the living room to confront his friend. Tyler was saved from a beating only by way of holding an amber-coloured bottle of medicine, which he had gone through a bit of trouble procuring from the Nurse Joy running the Pokémon Centre's pharmacy. Regardless, Kevin was determined not to let him off the hook. "What the fuck happened?!" "I could ask you the same thing," Tyler defended coolly. "How's Shaymin?" "She just threw up not even 2 minutes ago!" Kevin answered. He pointed to the medicine bottle while Tyler gasped. "I hope whatever's in there is gonna make her better, because let me tell you something." He took a shuddering breath. "I-I can't stay in there with her anymore. I can't do it!" Tyler was taken aback by the sudden show of emotion from his normally stone-faced friend. "Jeez, dude; I didn't know you felt so strongly about this!" "That girl,..." Kevin intoned darkly. "...she doesn't deserve what's happening to her. I wouldn't wish it on a fucking serial killer!" Tyler nodded. "I know. Believe me; I know. The good news is that this stuff should cure her. The bad news,... Well, let's go in there, so I can tell both of you at once." "Fine," Kevin agreed. "Be quiet, though; she has a headache."

Shaymin slowly looked up at the duo as they entered. "Hello, Tyler." "Hello," Tyler echoed her politely. As an indication of success, he lightly shook the medicine bottle. Shaymin's expression brightened. "Oh! I-Is that for me?" Her migraine was starting to fade, but blood loss from her vomiting was having an effect on her, making her feel light-headed. Fearing motion sickness, which would've resulted in throwing up again if she got back up to her paws, she remained still. "Yes, it is," Tyler answered. "I have to tell you something, though." Very carefully, he sat on the edge of the bed. "I tested the spinal fluid I took from you, and the good news is that I've finally figured out what you have." Kevin wanted to clap his hands, but he wouldn't dare exacerbate Shaymin's headache. "The problem is," Tyler continued, "I have no idea how you got it. This is an incredibly rare disease." "Just my luck," Shaymin pouted. "First, I fell into that lake. Now, this." As had happened multiple times before, Shaymin's misfortune brought a smile of understanding to Tyler's face. "Lake? You fell into a lake?" With a look of confusion, Shaymin nodded. "A week ago; I was getting water for the garden. I lost my footing and fell in." "Well, that explains how you got sick," Tyler noted. "Shaymin, I'm afraid you have primary amebic meningoencephalitis."

"Mew Christ," Kevin said. "That even SOUNDS nasty." Tyler nodded in his direction. "That's because it is. Shaymin, that lake was contaminated with Naegleria fowleri. When you fell into that lake, it swam up your nose and into your brain." Shaymin couldn't stifle a squeal of fright. "Th-That's what's making me sick?" "Yes," Tyler replied, "and it's even more serious than it feels." "You mean it's worse than it looks?" Kevin asked in disbelief. "I'm afraid so," Tyler answered sadly. "What's making Shaymin sick is the fact that it's... eating her brain." That was all Kevin could take; he stormed out of the room. Through the door that Kevin shut when he left, Tyler could hear him cry out "FUCK!!" "It's... eating my brain?!" Shaymin whimpered. Tyler gently rubbed her back. "Yes, but this medicine will stop it. It's called 'Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride,' and it's being tested as a treatment for this disease you have." If Shaymin had the strength, she would have leapt onto Tyler's shoulder and kissed him. "You mean, if I take this, I'll be cured?!" "That's the idea, but it hasn't been proven yet," Tyler explained. "What you have is such a rare disease, and, obviously, nobody is going to allow themselves to be infected for testing. It's still in clinical trials, so-" "For goodness sake; give me a dose," Shaymin interrupted. Her voice showed no anger; merely anxiety. Were she not as sick as she was, she would've been happy to hear whatever Tyler thought it appropriate to say. As the situation was, though, time was of the essence, and the less time she spent being eaten from the inside by something she couldn't even see, the better. Apparently, Tyler's body and mind were in 2 different places, evidenced by the fact that, when Shaymin interrupted him, he shook his head frantically, as if coming out of a trance. "Huh? Oh, y-yeah. Yes; I'll go get a spoon."

Shaymin mentally gave Tyler credit for not saying "yes, ma'am." As she mentioned before, she disliked excessive formalities. Of course, Kevin was the other extreme, with his calling her "Shay," and whatnot, but Shaymin wasn't interested in him, anyway. She wanted Tyler, just like she had for quite a while. A couple of years, at least. Even she had to admit, though, that Kevin's recent emotional responses showed a side of him that, prior to Shaymin's relationship with Tyler, would've been at least slightly attractive. In the time it took for Tyler to find a suitable spoon and return with it, Shaymin lost herself in her thoughts. In such a short amount of time, her life was turned upside down, and put in danger. And, of all people, she would soon be saved, Arceus willing, by the very boy to whom her heart belonged. The wait, with Shaymin entertained by her short daydream, seemed almost instantaneous; before she knew it, Tyler had returned, bringing with him a teaspoon from Eleanor's supply of cooking tools(she was a phenomenal cook.). "Alright, Shaymin; I'm gonna start you off with a teaspoon, and see what happens." Now, it was Shaymin's turn to awaken from a self-induced trance of sorts. "What? Oh, yeah; a teaspoon sounds right." "Did I interrupt something?" Tyler asked jokingly. He had little reason to worry Shaymin further, since, if the rusty-brown-coloured syrup he was pouring into the green plastic spoon did what it was supposed to, Shaymin's battle against her microscopic attacker would be over. "Alright, Shaymin; say 'ah.'"

Shaymin didn't need to be told twice. She opened her mouth wide. Predictably, the inside of her mouth was bloody. Tyler, obviously used to the sight of blood, administered the syrup anyway. Shaymin wasn't expecting it to taste as good as it did; it tasted of apricot and mint. She realized in that moment why children sometimes mistook medicine for candy. However, as good as it tasted, swallowing it was a big mistake. A mistake she would regret immediately. The instant the syrup came into contact with the wound in her esophagus, she shrieked with pain. Tyler leapt back and clutched his chest. "Shaymin, what's wrong?!" "M-My... My throat!" Shaymin cried, choking and spluttering. Tyler would've slapped himself for his stupidity. "Oh, dear Arceus; I'm so sorry, Shaymin!" Due to being in the midst of an incredibly painful coughing fit, Shaymin didn't respond right away. When she caught her breath and spoke, though, the response she gave shone with the forgiveness she was known for showing him. "It wasn't - cough - your fault. But how am I - cough cough - gonna get cured if I - cough - can't take my medicine?" Tyler came up with a solution rather quickly, but it was a bit of an odd one. "Well, that tear is gonna have to be gotten rid of as soon as possible. Normally, Mallory-Weiss syndrome is left to heal itself, but, in your case, I think surgical intervention is best. I'll get in touch with Whitney and see if she can't use her influence as Gym Leader to pull some strings at the Pokémon Centre and get you admitted." Sure enough, by the end of the last sentence, he was looking through the contacts list of his PokéGear. "I really appreciate it," Shaymin said, with all of the gratitude that her PokéDex classification as "The Gratitude Pokémon" would suggest, "but I can't just walk into a crowded Pokémon Centre in broad daylight without drawing attention. Plus, who's gonna operate on me?" Tyler had just begun the aforementioned phone call by the time Shaymin finished talking. With the PokéGear still ringing, he looked to Shaymin with a smile on his face. "You're looking at him."

*Author's note*

*Spoiler alert, if you haven't seen Giratina And The Sky Warrior.*

In retrospect, this entire fanfic should've been called "Gracidea's Anatomy." Unfortunately, I didn't think of it, since I hadn't seen Grey's Anatomy when I started writing Chapter 1. Oh, well. I have some explaining to do; don't I? Well, first, primary amebic meningoencephalitis, Naegleria fowleri, and Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride are real things. I had originally wanted Shaymin to have bacterial meningitis, but Neptune convinced me otherwise. Thanks, Neptune! Secondly, I would like to make it clear that THIS IS NOT THE SHAYMIN FROM GIRATINA AND THE SKY WARRIOR!! Different Shaymin entirely. I actually haven't seen the movie in its entirety, because I can't find it in stores, but, from what I have seen, "Sky Warrior" Shaymin is a fucking brat. She eats all of the pancakes, asks for more later, bitches that she's being handled roughly, blows smoke right in Ash's face, tries to get him eaten, and tries to get Meowth to give her some food. She reminds me of the Mooninites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I do love one of her lines, though. "Sorry, but flattery will get you nowhere!" Thirdly, Shaymin's migraine is called a "post-dural-puncture headache." Tyler didn't make a big deal out of it because he knew what caused it, and that it will eventually go away on its own. Fourthly(?), remember that this is based on a much bigger fanfic, written by the real Kevin and I. In it, Tyler was in a relationship with Whitney, or, as Pokemon fans call her, "God damn this bitch and her overpowered fucking Miltank!" It only lasted a short while, but, last anyone checked, they were still good friends. And, fifthly(?), I realise the throat and the esophagus are 2 different things. Shaymin's complaint of her throat hurting comes from a lack of knowledge on her end; not mine. So,... Chapter 8, or have you had enough of me?

Somehow, I lost a whole paragraph explaining how Tyler got ahold of a bottle of Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride. Sorry. As a summary, though, he lies, claiming to be looking after a mentally ill pet Pokémon, as a favour for a friend.

• Community Administrator

Poor Kevin xD I couldn't help but to snicker with him even though he was really uncomfortable. But this chapter shows that he isn't has hard as people seem to see him as.

Hopefully now that Tyler knows what is wrong, Shaymin will get a lot better :D

• Senior Staff

I hate to be picky, but considering everything else is plural, shouldn't it be "psychoses"?
(Sorry it wasn't obvious, but this comment is just teasing.)

14 hours ago, ArdillaVerde93 said:

Burns, concussions, fractures, psychosis

Other than that, I like the chapter. It's just getting worse and worse for poor Shaymin, huh?
At least they know what it is and what Tyler is going to do about it.

Archived