*Chapter 10: Broken Hearts*

Shaymin awoke with a start mere minutes later, to Kevin yelling at her. "Shaymin! Shaymin, get up! Wake up!" "Mew Christ; I'm up!" Shaymin moaned. She wearily turned to look at where Tyler had been earlier, but he still hadn't returned. "What's... What's going on? A-And - yawn - where's Tyler?" "That's just it," Kevin answered, with an urgent tone. "Sakura found him in the bathroom, unconscious!" The instant Kevin finished his sentence, Shaymin leapt from the bed. She ran for the door, but, as Kevin was already there, she didn't get far. "Sorry, but I already called 911," Kevin explained. "The paramedics will be here any second, and you need to hide." "Absolutely not! Let me out!" Shaymin insisted. "If they see you, we're gonna have more problems that we don't need," Kevin argued. "Now, hide!" Kevin's voice was quite official-sounding, but Shaymin was completely undeterred. If anything, Shaymin only got more stubborn. Arceus Himself literally couldn't keep her away from her love, and she certainly wouldn't be impeded by a mere human. "I'll ask nicely, then. Kevin, please, let me out of here; I need to see Tyler." Unfortunately, neither demands nor politeness would sway Kevin. "Sorry, Shay. Don't worry, though; he's in good hands. Ellie's got him." That was all Shaymin needed to hear. Honestly, if Kevin had begun the conversation by informing her that her beloved Tyler was being looked after by the very person they - and Kevin, especially, being a police officer - should've been keeping him away from, she would've done exactly what she was about to do right then. "Alright, then; if she's looking after him, I guess there's only one thing to do." Before Kevin could even ask what that thing was, he was hit point-blank by a sphere of neon green energy, which threw him backwards with such force, the bedroom door splintered when he fell into it. With her only show of remorse being a "you-did-this-to-yourself" shake of her head, Shaymin stepped over Kevin's sprawled out body and ran to the bathroom. It occurred to her that any paramedic in their right mind would ask why there was a broken door, but, at the moment, it didn't matter to her.

The bathroom door was open, for good and obvious reasons, so Shaymin didn't have to break it like she did to the bedroom door. She was no less inclined when she entered the bathroom, however, to attack than she was earlier. Sure enough, Eleanor and Prudence were knelt beside Tyler's body. Shaymin took a moment, not even paying mind to the girls' questions of what the loud bang they heard earlier was from, to steel herself for what she was about to see. Or what she thought she was about to see. She didn't know it, but what was happening was rather close to a role reversal. Where, before, Tyler was standing over her, she would soon be, for lack of a better term, standing over him. The difference, however, was quite obvious. Shaymin had almost no idea what was wrong, or how to help. Nonetheless, she was determined to be by his side, and what she had to do was obvious. Eleanor began asking her again what she was doing, but Shaymin interrupted her with a dark, sinister snarl. "Get. Out. Of. Here."

Shaymin knew, or, at least, part of her did, that the odds of her, as small as she was, intimidating Eleanor were slim. Prudence, however, knew well enough to leave the room. She knew that, as soon as the thought occurred to Shaymin that, as a Legendary, she wielded immense power, Eleanor would almost definitely get killed. Unsurprisingly, the response Shaymin received for her threat was a scoff, followed by "not a chance, mate!". As furious as she was, and for good reason, Shaymin couldn't help but laugh as she took a few steps toward Eleanor, then fixed her with an angry glare. "Wanna bet?" Shaymin wanted nothing more at that moment than to assault the abusive girl in front of her. Unfortunately, she didn't get the chance; just as she was preparing to pounce, she heard sirens wailing in the distance. Before she scurried off to find a hiding place, though, she gave Eleanor a dire warning. "If he doesn't make it through this, you're next." As she left, she kept her head held high. It wasn't obvious to anyone but herself that she was choking up, tears spilling down her face. "Please!" she whispered pleadingly. "Don't take him from me! You granted my wish and brought me back so I could be with him. He means the world to me, and You know that. I'm begging You; don't take him away!" To escape detection, she hid in the backyard, blending in incredibly well with a flowerbed. There she stayed as the paramedics carried the love and light of her life away.

Despite begging and pleading, Shaymin couldn't join the others. She suffered an agonising wait while they went to the hospital. Each minute seemed an hour as she worriedly padded around the house. "This isn't fair!" she finally decided, in a childish whine she wouldn't have dared to speak in, were she not certain she was the only one who could hear it. Despite her age, she still was a child at heart. And she wished, besides the obvious desire of Tyler's safe return, that she was young enough to justify curling up in his lap and sobbing hysterically. As had been commonplace lately, the obvious reality slipped her mind; age be damned, she was small enough to still manage a good cuddle and cry without causing Tyler any discomfort. "He doesn't deserve this!" she continued, referring, of course, to Tyler. "I should be there with him; not that bitch!" Even calling Eleanor a bitch didn't seem to sum up the hatred Shaymin held towards her, but she didn't feel comfortable uttering the 4-letter word that better described it; she swallowed, then shook her head, as if trying to dislodge the word from her thoughts. "I-If he..." Shaymin whimpered tearfully. "I-I-If he d-doesn't make it,... I-I'll..." What she would do, she didn't get to say; so preoccupied was she, she didn't notice Kevin entering the living room, until he actually spoke to her. In fact, she was visibly shocked when he did. "Shaymin,... I'm sorry, but I have some bad news."

The tone Kevin spoke in was sad and serious; Shaymin knew in an instant he wasn't kidding. However, she could only formulate a single question. "Where's Tyler?" Kevin let out a heavy sigh, then sat down on a nearby couch and beckoned Shaymin to join him, which she refused to do. Knowing he couldn't keep the truth from her, he didn't bother. "Look, Shay... I'm sorry; there was nothing the doctors could do." All Shaymin needed to hear was "I'm sorry." She knew full well that very rarely is that followed by good news. She took a few steps back and shook her head. "You're lying." "I wish I was," Kevin replied. "The doctors said an aneurysm burst in his chest. He was gone before he got to the hospital." To say that Shaymin cried was an understatement; Kevin hadn't heard such heart-wrenching wailing in his life. He reached out to pet her, but she jerked away. Then, both to Shaymin's delight and fury at once, Eleanor walked in. "Oi! Shay, are you al- BLOODY HELL!!!!!!" In an instant, Shaymin was upon her. Shaymin's teeth and claws weren't incredibly sharp, but her assault still left some wounds. Kevin was quick to respond, and, all at once, Shaymin yelped as she fell to the floor with a soft thud, and began twitching violently. Kevin had hit her with a stun gun. Eleanor, battered and cut up, leaned against the wall, shaking in fear. "Thanks for that, mate."

The next week, leading up to Tyler's funeral, was horrific for Shaymin. Sleep was fitful and came with much effort, when it came at all. She had night terrors constantly, causing Kevin and Prudence to drown out her wailing with a radio. Obviously, they also got precious little sleep. Shaymin refused all offers of food, and barely even took her medicine. Losing Tyler destroyed her. When she wasn't crying and screaming, she spent the week in a stupor. Her body was repaired, but she may as well have been in Kalos, as little as she seemed to notice anything. It took until the day of the funeral for her to engage in an active conversation. "I'm going with you." "Absolutely not," Kevin said firmly. "Are you out of your mind?!" "I have been, since he died," Shaymin answered, unwavering. "And I'm going, if I have to crawl on my hindpaws!" "And what will you do when everyone sees a wild Shaymin?!" Kevin demanded. "You'll be inside a Poké Ball before you know what hit you!" Shaymin scoffed at that. "Only if I let them catch me! More to the point, Kevin, you can't tell me what to do!" Their argument continued for some time before Kevin finally gave in, reasoning that, if Shaymin wanted to get caught, it was up to her.

Despite being so vehement about attending Tyler's funeral, Shaymin kept herself scarce throughout the service. The amount of willpower it took her not to violently murder Eleanor was ridiculous. Instead, she occupied herself by looking around at the people who had gathered to mourn. She recognised Whitney straight away, and gave a slight smile, which was returned with a look of solemn understanding. Whitney didn't bring attention to Shaymin's presence; it didn't even surprise her very much. Having been Tyler's girlfriend in the past, she knew Shaymin's heartbreak almost as much as her own. Shaymin silently cursed the rarity of her own species; she wanted to sit in Whitney's lap. Instead, she could only return the pink-haired girl's gaze with a pleading look, and mouth the words "don't tell anyone," to which Whitney responded with an equally silent "don't worry; I won't," before gesturing as though she was pushing down on the air with one hand. Shaymin understood this as a signal to stay down to avoid detection. She did so, crawling beneath Kevin's chair and curled up, resembling an innocuous, flowering bush. This was a brilliant disguise, as the funeral was held outdoors. She kept quiet and still for a good portion of the funeral, but even she couldn't hold her peace indefinitely. The instant the casket was buried, she took off at a full sprint towards the gravestone.

Kevin wasn't quick enough to subdue her, and Eleanor didn't care one way or the other. Shaymin's presence didn't go unnoticed. Several people threw Poké Balls at her. She made no attempt to dodge, so she got pelted as she ran. An astonishing thing happened, though. The Poké Balls that hit her didn't open; they recognised her as already having a trainer. So it was as she ran to her beloved's resting place. Finally, she stopped running, only to collapse and cry, like she did several times before from her illness. This time, though, pure emotion was behind her tears. "This isn't fair! After all he did,... he... We were... supposed to be together! A-And now..." It was as if Shaymin only fully realised the situation when she spoke of it. "HE'S GONE!!!!!!" she wailed, bringing over half of the crowd to tears. She was so distraught, she failed to notice that she had undergone an amazing transformation! She was considerably taller, and resembled a reindeer, rather than a hedgehog. She kept her white fur, save for her paws and what used to be her quills. Those were green, and her quills looked more like medium-length hair. Her ears had grown immensely, resembling a cross between a Latias' wings and a fleur-de-lis. The pink flowers that adorned her had changed into what appeared to be a crimson scarf made of flower petals. 

"I was supposed to watch over him,... a-and keep him safe. B-B-But I... I guess I couldn't do it. Not even for the person who meant more to me than anyone and anything else in the world!" Shaymin didn't look back at the crowd as she cried. She couldn't bear to turn her back on Tyler. His death darkened her entire outlook on life. She didn't have the willpower to do anything but sob hysterically and repeat several confessions of her love. Tyler's tragic passing rocked everyone who knew him as a kind, compassionate soul. However, in the aftermath, life eventually returned to normal for Kevin and Eleanor. Shaymin wasn't the same afterwards.

*Epilogue: Where Are They Now?*

Tyler's body was exhumed only a few days after the funeral, and brought to the hospital for an autopsy. His cause of death was something that could hardly have been predicted. Hypertension, brought on by his tumultuous relationship with Eleanor, led to an asymptomatic aortic aneurysm. Because Tyler was too busy, he didn't bother to get checked, and the aneurysm worsened, leading up to an aortic dissection, closely followed by aortic rupture. The autopsy was also able to confirm that Eleanor had abused him; several marks hadn't fully healed, and there was quite a bit of evidence of sexual abuse, as well. As a result, Eleanor was incarcerated for domestic violence. She was also stripped of a diamond-shaped pin(a Plain Badge, given to trainers who triumph over Whitney, the Goldenrod City Gym Leader.), as well as a Poké Ball containing a Cinccino. Both of those items belonged to Tyler, and the badge was set in his grave once he was laid back to rest. Tyler's gravestone read as follows:

"Dr. Tyler Miller
                                                               Loved by many, but died of a broken heart."

Carved below that was "I'll never forget you, Ty.", next to which was a heart. Shaymin had used her Magical Leaf attack for carving. As for Eleanor, she was soon released on bail.

Shaymin spiralled into a deep depression she never returned from. She spent the rest of her life guarding Tyler's grave. Her life was a very short one, however. She was still sick, and, because she didn't take her medicine, she passed away after a violent episode of vomiting. As her soul departed, the earth itself sprang to life, yielding a breathtaking abundance of flowers. Even Arceus wept openly at Shaymin's unfailing devotion.

Whitney was given Tyler's Cinccino to take care of, and she did a fantastic job of doing so. Tragically, her life was also cut short; she fell from the second story balcony of her house and broke her neck. She was pregnant, and doctors were able to save her baby. Whitney's boyfriend was unjustly imprisoned for her death. 

Kevin, shaken up from the knowledge that Eleanor contributed to Tyler's death, dedicated his life to betterment. He eventually became a police chief, and was able to reopen the case Whitney's boyfriend was imprisoned for, and get him released. Afterwards, Kevin and his lovely daughter lived together happily with their son, Arthur.

Team Espus remained the Orre League champions for several years, before losing in a match against Michael and Wes, the previous champions. Team Espus won the titles back in the next event.

The story of Tyler and Shaymin was told again and again, through the ages. Their tragic, yet heartwarming tale served as a message, and as proof that love knows no boundaries.

*Author's note*

Well, that's it! Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart. And thanks, Neptune and Wolfie, for allowing me to include you. This has been a journey for me; in fact, as far as I can remember, it's only the 4th multi-chapter story I've finished. The end may come as a shock, but I wanted this to end badly. I wanted to show that the good guys don't always win. So, as much as you may hate me for killing 3 pivotal characters, please understand that I had planned it like that for some time. Also, I was hoping someone would get this reference before I had to explain it, but I've kept you amazing people in the dark way too long. The Eleanor Miller in this story is a humanised version of the character of the same name from The Chipettes. I don't hate her; in fact, she's one of my favourite characters from the entire AATC franchise. She was responsible for some of my favourite moments in The Squeakquel, Chipwrecked, and The Road Chip. I wrote her as a bitch and a nymphomaniac because that's how the real Kevin thought she should be.

Aortic rupture was chosen for Tyler's cause of death because it's practically asymptomatic until it's too late to do something about it. Shaymin died of primary amebic meningoencephalitis, obviously. And, of course, Whitney took a nasty spill. Side note, I'm not too fond of redheads usually, but there are exceptions, and Whitney is adorable! And, of course, I had to at least try and add continuity from the "official" canon. Well, I suppose the important question is do you like it? If so, would you like to see more? Backstory, alternate universe, etc.

• Senior Staff

It really is a bad ending for pretty much everyone.

Spoiler

Tyler dies.
Shaymin follows a while later.
Whitney dies.
Her unborn child survives but is left basically parent-less, at least for a while.
Whitney's boyfriend is unjustly imprisoned (surprise, surprise) and later released.
Elanor goes to jail but gets out shortly afterwards (surprise, surprise).

There really is no fucking justice, huh? xD

However~. Putting my sympathy for (or apathy towards) the characters aside, this entire story was well written.
I'd love to read more of your work, but perhaps something a little happier next time? xDD

• Community Administrator

You made me cry :( As SMFoxy said, that was very well written. I really empathised with Shaymin and her grief. It sucks that she fought so hard to live, but in the end fate was a bitch D:

But ultimately, I enjoyed the whole story. It was a pleasure to read. 

Archived